HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Why do the sports pundits keep calling Lundqvist "king Henrik"

Closed Thread

Old
05-20-2012, 10:11 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRightWay View Post
Can someone please explain the obsession that Devils fans have over Henrik Lundqvist's legal size pads? Should Rangers fans start making jokes about Ilya Kovalchuk's legal yet big curve on his blade?Would that be an effective way of diminishing Kovalchuk's accomplishments? Or would you dismiss it as pure stupidity? It makes no sense to me.
Don't try to make sense of them.

Old
05-20-2012, 10:49 PM
Kane One
HFB Partner

vCash: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddyNYR View Post
That nickname has been around for like 3 years now.
Definitely longer.

05-20-2012, 10:58 PM
Fueren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Richards View Post
Apparently an Olympic Gold Medal counts for nothing.
Obviously. Have you ever clicked on a main boards Luongo thread?

Old
05-20-2012, 11:11 PM
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmd3003 View Post
King Henrik
Prince Callahan
Duke Girardi
Viscount Richards
Emperor Boyle
Baron Prust
You forgot Thane McDonagh.

Old
05-20-2012, 11:24 PM
FV

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
There is many kings with the first name Henry, Henrik is close to Henry. I think it's as simple as that
8 that I can think of.

Old
05-21-2012, 01:25 AM
Jocke

Quote:
Can someone please explain the obsession that Devils fans have over Henrik Lundqvist's legal size pads? Should Rangers fans start making jokes about Ilya Kovalchuk's legal yet big curve on his blade?Would that be an effective way of diminishing Kovalchuk's accomplishments? Or would you dismiss it as pure stupidity? It makes no sense to me.
You should pay a visit to their discussion board sometime. There are endless reasons as to why Lundqvist keeps the puck out of the net, and skill is not one of them.

Last edited by Jocke: 05-21-2012 at 03:37 AM.
Old
05-21-2012, 05:53 AM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsfan118 View Post
Hasn't done anything king-worthy in the NHL yet

But it's caught on, who knows
Yeah he's done nothing in his 6th season

I mean he's been married almost a year and hasn't moved on his sister in law

Old
05-21-2012, 05:55 AM
NJDEVIL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerdanger20 View Post
so we should start calling fatty king marty?
no you can start calling him GOD

Old
05-21-2012, 06:03 AM
TCRF
RICK. GNASH

vCash: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDEVIL View Post
God of lard

Old
05-21-2012, 06:34 AM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDEVIL View Post
If that were the case, if I cheated on my girlfriend I'd tell her it's OK because GOD does it

Old
05-21-2012, 07:34 AM
Eternal Sunshine

its a Swedish thing.

Old
05-21-2012, 08:26 AM
tony d
ATD 2015

I've always wondered how he got the nickname as well, perhaps because he's the king (Best) goalie in the NHL and has been that way for a while.

05-21-2012, 08:31 AM
z1co80
The Incredible Hank

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony d View Post
I've always wondered how he got the nickname as well, perhaps because he's the king (Best) goalie in the NHL and has been that way for a while.
Even if he wasn't known league wide as the King then at the very least the Devils would still have to call him it because he has Ruled their ***** since he came into the league.

Old
05-21-2012, 08:37 AM
LetsG0Devils

Can't have a thread about any goalie without bringing up Marty.

That's kinda awesome.

Old
05-21-2012, 08:39 AM
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsG0Devils View Post
Can't have a thread about any goalie without bringing up Marty.

That's kinda awesome.
So true..the jealousy is awesome..

Old
05-21-2012, 08:42 AM
KCisTall

Quote:
While you do make a good comparison, it's a situation of apples and oranges. The size of pads to net versus stick angle to puck makes a huge difference. That's like criticizing a defender for having too straight of a blade and being able to knock ever puck that comes his way down.

Now don't get me wrong, Henrik has great lateral movement, excellent rebound control, and a great low play style. The problem Devils' fan tend to see, is if he used normal (in terms of tradition pads, not legal/illegal) pads, would he be just another good goalie, rather than great.

To that effect, ideally it can bump a goalie down a tier. Jonas Hiller: Good Goalie, Huge Pads. Take his pads down a size or four, does he become another mediocre, journeyman goalie?

Sure, it's legal, but it begs to ask the question, does it make him (appear) better than he is, or is he truly that good and the pads are just a backboard?

Old
05-21-2012, 08:49 AM
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCisTall View Post
While you do make a good comparison, it's a situation of apples and oranges. The size of pads to net versus stick angle to puck makes a huge difference. That's like criticizing a defender for having too straight of a blade and being able to knock ever puck that comes his way down.

Now don't get me wrong, Henrik has great lateral movement, excellent rebound control, and a great low play style. The problem Devils' fan tend to see, is if he used normal (in terms of tradition pads, not legal/illegal) pads, would he be just another good goalie, rather than great.

To that effect, ideally it can bump a goalie down a tier. Jonas Hiller: Good Goalie, Huge Pads. Take his pads down a size or four, does he become another mediocre, journeyman goalie?

Sure, it's legal, but it begs to ask the question, does it make him (appear) better than he is, or is he truly that good and the pads are just a backboard?
Very nicely put..i dont think anyone who watches HL can say that he is not an exceptional goalie..i just think the NHL needs to reduce all goalie equipment. I was a goalie in the early 90's and my pads were twice as heavy and half the size. The perfect example of oversized equipment was Manny Legace..he wore the same size leg pads as Steve Valiquette who is 6 foot 4..Legace is 5'7 at best..its simply comical..

Old
05-21-2012, 09:08 AM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCisTall View Post

So your excuse for being shutout twice already this series is that his pads are big? I just want to make sure I understand.

Old
05-21-2012, 09:08 AM
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by clmetsfan View Post
Can't have a thread about a Ranger without Devils fans coming in to diminish his talent.

See how that works?
Sorry, but the criticisms of the nickname are legitimate..you are talking about a guy who was won NOTHING in the nhl...I'm not diminishing his talent, simply the embarrassing nickname.

Old
05-21-2012, 09:13 AM
KCisTall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightide85 View Post
So your excuse for being shutout twice already this series is that his pads are big? I just want to make sure I understand.
Dude, seriously? I put forth a hypothesis to help explain the reason people talk about his pad size, but you managed to skew it. Come on now.

You either didn't read it, or didn't understand what I was putting forth. I compliment him 3 different times, and never do I say his pads are the reason he's good.

Frankly, I'm 1 of the few devils fan not slinging mud. I really don't want to, but responses like that make anyone angry. Flame baiting like that is childish.

Last edited by KCisTall: 05-21-2012 at 09:20 AM. Reason: SP
Old
05-21-2012, 09:17 AM
NYRKING30

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseydevil View Post
Sorry, but the criticisms of the nickname are legitimate..you are talking about a guy who was won NOTHING in the nhl...I'm not diminishing his talent, simply the embarrassing nickname.
I understand but then what about other athletes as well for haven't won anything? It isn't like he came here in 2005 and said hi im the king. The best goalie of all time recently said the best goalie in the league plays for the rangers. You can't win a stanley cup with an elite goalie and Jaromir Jagr.

Old
05-21-2012, 09:23 AM
clmetsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseydevil View Post
No, just complaining about the size of his legal pads...

Old
05-21-2012, 09:23 AM
Amazing Kreiderman
Night-shift fan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightide85 View Post
Didn't you know that bigger pads draw the puck to the glove? That's the only reason Lundqvist is so good, because of his pads.

Old
05-21-2012, 09:28 AM
KCisTall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezequiel View Post
Didn't you know that bigger pads draw the puck to the glove? That's the only reason Lundqvist is so good, because of his pads.
Again, in my original post I compliment him more than I detract from his ability.

I ask a question, just like anyone else asks, "Would marty be as good if he didnt have Stevens & Friends in front of him?" or "Was Richter good, or was it stats inflantion at the garden (http://brodeurisafraud.blogspot.com/...overrated.html)?"

It's a question, not an implication.

Old
05-21-2012, 09:30 AM
NYRKING30

I thought the goalie pad argument for being too much was during the 90s early 2000s pre lockout dead puck era. I remember Mike Vernon, Trevor Kidd,Hasek?Roy?Brodeur? being heckled as well about this. I hope someone can refresh my memory. Goalie equipment is no where near the size it was 10-20 years ago.

Closed Thread