HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Why do the sports pundits keep calling Lundqvist "king Henrik"

Closed Thread

Old
05-21-2012, 03:39 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRightWay View Post
Devils fans when discussing Lundqvist:

"Dude is a product of the Rangers system, inflated numbers, etc etc. Its no coincidence that Lundqvist getd this deep in the playoffs until he has 5 guys playing human shield for him."

Devils fans when discussing the Rangers:

"The Devils have been completely outplaying the Rangers. Lundqvist is just stealing the series for the Rangers."

Make up your minds, guys. Which is it?
end of thread

also you forgot "regress to the mean"

Old
05-21-2012, 03:39 PM
jerseydevil

Quote:

"Dude is a product of the Rangers system, inflated numbers, etc etc. Its no coincidence that Lundqvist getd this deep in the playoffs until he has 5 guys playing human shield for him."

"The Devils have been completely outplaying the Rangers. Lundqvist is just stealing the series for the Rangers."

I don't agree..I think 99 percent of Devils fans (including myself) would say that Hank has been awesome in this series so far..

Old
05-21-2012, 03:42 PM
stan the caddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseydevil View Post
For the record..to all the big talkers..you guys have combined to come up with a list of 2 goaltenders who didnt win cups but may be considered great..Eddie Giacomin (who is not in many peoples top 20-30 goalies of all time) and Tony Esposito (who I agree with)
Hasek never would have won one if he played in Buffalo his whole career. He was arguably better than both Roy and Hasek during their primes. Didn't win until he was older and of lesser ability.

Old
05-21-2012, 03:42 PM
NYRKING30

So I guess Kovy and Parise aren't great players since they have won nothing yet either..

Old
05-21-2012, 03:43 PM
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by jskramer83 View Post
The problem I have with the Championship argument, is that if you are using it as the bar to determine greatness you can't pick and choose who gets the title of "Great".

If you use championships you have to include all the average goalies that have won as great.

But even if Hank wins one cup, there will still be people saying well now he has too win two, then after that well not that good till he wins three.

Now if you say multiple championships, that is normally a different story. But at which point you can't call Marty the Greatest of All Time using this method either.

This is also a debate, of how one can be considered a the G.O.A.T, and there is no single way to determine this.
I don't think you can ever establish the Greatest of All time and be definitive or have everyone agree...but if you establish any list of the top 10-20 goalies of all time you most likely will not find more than 1 that haven't won cups. Do you agree?

Old
05-21-2012, 03:43 PM
Devilshark
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlue42 View Post
Henriks pads obviously.
Lundqvist has been sharp when he's had to, in tandem with the fact that hes not seeing quality shots 98% of the time. When guys get clear shots, they beat him.

The book on Lundqvist is to shoot high to the side, which is usually reserved for guys that would normally be considered "not that good" . That was pre-butterfly/body armor era. Guys make more saves today by using their chest protector than ever before, Hank is no exception.

Dude is awesome at cutting off angles, probably even the best. No denying that.

Old
05-21-2012, 03:44 PM
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRKING30 View Post
So I guess Kovy and Parise aren't great players since they have won nothing yet either..
Absolutely agreed...who would ever put either one of those guys in the "all time great" category yet???

Old
05-21-2012, 03:44 PM
EEDAWGZ

Quote:

thats why we shouldn't feed into it

Old
05-21-2012, 03:45 PM
jerseydevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan the caddy View Post
Hasek never would have won one if he played in Buffalo his whole career. He was arguably better than both Roy and Hasek during their primes. Didn't win until he was older and of lesser ability.
He won Cups, plain and simple.

Old
05-21-2012, 03:46 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilshark View Post
King without a crown, but plenty of body armor!

Dude is a product of the Rangers system, inflated numbers, etc etc. Its no coincidence that Lundqvist getd this deep in the playoffs until he has 5 guys playing human shield for him.

To be honest, the dude's skillset is nothing to brag about. Hes good at latteral movement and hugging the posts, absorbing shots, but I wouldnt take his glove or stickhand skills over a handful of other NHL goaltenders.

This. It's all the defense doing work for him.

Old
05-21-2012, 03:47 PM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

vCash: 350
Quote:
King without a crown, but plenty of body armor!

Dude is a product of the Rangers system, inflated numbers, etc etc. Its no coincidence that Lundqvist getd this deep in the playoffs until he has 5 guys playing human shield for him.

To be honest, the dude's skillset is nothing to brag about. Hes good at latteral movement and hugging the posts, absorbing shots, but I wouldnt take his glove or stickhand skills over a handful of other NHL goaltenders.
You seem to frustrated and jealous. I would be too if my team was shut out two out of the first three games in the ECF.

The Rangers have not always played like this. He was a Vezina candidate before Torts ever implemented his defensive system. He also won Gold in 2006 in his rookie year.

The irony of a Devils fan criticizing the Rangers for blocking shots when the Devils wrote the book on the most painful to watch defensive strategy the game has ever seen (trapping) is laughable. Blocking shots demonstrates bravery and sacrifice, and for all the blocked shots the Rangers have made, Henrik Lundqvist has still had to stop an average of 28 shots a game throughout the series thus far. 28 chances a game and your team has only managed to average a goal a game through three.

Bow to your King.

Old
05-21-2012, 03:47 PM
TheRightWay

Quote:
He won Cups, plain and simple.
Look at the Rangers rosters from 2000-2010. Now, substitute whatever goaltender was starting for the Rangers with Brodeur. How many Stanley Cups do you believe Brodeur would have won in that time period? Honestly. Tell us. Two? Three?

Old
05-21-2012, 03:49 PM
jerseydevil

Quote:
Look at the Rangers rosters from 2000-2010. Now, substitute whatever goaltender was starting for the Rangers with Brodeur. How many Stanley Cups do you believe Brodeur would have won in that time period? Honestly. Tell us. Two? Three?
i think "what if" scenarios are ridiculous..

Old
05-21-2012, 03:50 PM
canadiansbronco

Quote:
no but nobody calls the king zach or ilya

Old
NYRKING30

Quote:
Absolutely agreed...who would ever put either one of those guys in the "all time great" category yet???
Lol I never said "all time great" where did it say that? Can you point out to me where somebody said Hank is one of the all time greats? Atleast you didn't say i called him that. If we followed your logic i guess Kovy would have been a choke artist his whole career and Parise hasn't done anything to warrant himself great right?

Old
TheRightWay

Quote:
How so? According to you, what defines the "greatness" of a goaltender is how many Stanley Cups he wins. Thus, since you classify Brodeur as a "great" goaltender then there is no "what if" to it, right? Brodeur would have won multiple Stanley Cups with Michal Grosek and Boris Mironov on the ice with him because that's what great goaltenders do. Win Stanley Cups. Roste regardless. Amirite?

Old
05-21-2012, 03:51 PM
stan the caddy

Quote:
Bacause you're stubborn. Hasek didn't win until he was a lesser goalie. If great goalies won cups so easily he would have won several during the 90s because he was better than Roy and your boy Brodeur.

Old
05-21-2012, 03:52 PM
canadiansbronco

Quote:
Bacause you're stubborn. Hasek didn't win until he was a lesser goalie. If great goalies won cups so easily he would have won several during the 90s because he was better than Roy and your boy Brodeur.
lol he wasn't better then Roy

Old
05-21-2012, 03:53 PM
NYRKING30

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiansbronco View Post
no but nobody calls the king zach or ilya
Well the shift has focused to about being great or what not not really by the name anymore. As someone else posted the Brooks article where he called him that and it stuck. I feel like some of you think he came to America and declared himself King.

Old
05-21-2012, 03:53 PM
jerseydevil

Quote:
Lol I never said "all time great" where did it say that? Can you point out to me where somebody said Hank is one of the all time greats? Atleast you didn't say i called him that. If we followed your logic i guess Kovy would have been a choke artist his whole career and Parise hasn't done anything to warrant himself great right?
None of the players mentioned can be considered "great" at this point of their careers..good enough for you?

Old
05-21-2012, 03:54 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Quote:
Lundqvist has been sharp when he's had to, in tandem with the fact that hes not seeing quality shots 98% of the time.
And why aren't they getting the quality shots? Are the Devil forwards not good enough to beat the Rangers d-men?

Old
05-21-2012, 03:55 PM
jerseydevil

Quote:
Oh geez I'll repeat " and if my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle"

Old
Devilshark
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWantsCup View Post
You seem to frustrated and jealous. I would be too if my team was shut out two out of the first three games in the ECF.

The Rangers have not always played like this. He was a Vezina candidate before Torts ever implemented his defensive system. He also won Gold in 2006 in his rookie year.

The irony of a Devils fan criticizing the Rangers for blocking shots when the Devils wrote the book on the most painful to watch defensive strategy the game has ever seen (trapping) is laughable. Blocking shots demonstrates bravery and sacrifice, and for all the blocked shots the Rangers have made, Henrik Lundqvist has still had to stop an average of 28 shots a game throughout the series thus far. 28 chances a game and your team has only managed to average a goal a game through three.

Bow to your King.
The 95 and 2000/01 Devils look like the 85 Oilers compared to this current Ranger team. You need teams like the Devils to make your games watchable, which is why its a joke if people think fans want LA/NYR for the actual play on the ice. They dont. If you want to wakeup to what Hockey fans think of the Rangers and what theyre like to watch, go listen to any Radio Station in Canada.

Henrik is no more a king than Joffrey Baratheon. I will not bow.

Old
stan the caddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiansbronco View Post
lol he wasn't better then Roy
Roy couldn't beat him for a Vezina. Roy never won a Hart.

Old
canadiansbronco

Quote:
Well the shift has focused to about being great or what not not really by the name anymore. As someone else posted the Brooks article where he called him that and it stuck. I feel like some of you think he came to America and declared himself King.
I have no problem with the nickname but i can understand the people that it wrong the wrong way when you give the king nickname to somebody who hasn't won the nig thing yet

Closed Thread