HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Morgan Ellis has exceeded the Canadiens' expectations

Old
05-20-2012, 01:24 AM
Asamu

vCash: 500
Morgan Ellis has exceeded the Canadiens' expectations

Article is here by Pat Hickey

Hockey db stats here

Besides Beaulieu and Tinordi, I really like this defenseman and I seriously hope that he will have his chance in 2-3 years. He said that he is too slow for the NHL but he'll have time to improve this aspect of the game.

Where do you see him in 2014?

Asamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 01:48 AM
Beendair Donedat

Hes a really good kid, from a really good family. Although to describe Ellerslie as a "fishing community" is a stretch. He's got a great work ethic, he's humble and I think he has good enough instincts to make it to the NHL. Glad he's starting to open some eyes.

Beendair Donedat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 06:50 AM
rickthegoon

Well, to tell the truth, my opinion is only basd on a few games i watched on tv, during the world juniors this winter, the chl playoffs and these couple games so far at the memorial cup. So that being said, it's just my 2 cents.
But if I had to choose between Ellis, Beaulieu and Tinordi, ....Ellis would be the one wich , in my opinion would adapt the fastest to the NHL. His no non sense style of play can be incorporated within any system. He can handle pressure and accept to take a hit without " panicking", has a great vision, always makes a great first pass,can skate the puck out of the zone.......everytime i see him play I ask myslef " what he would look like whit players of his caliber...guys who could handle his pass?""....
Everything i read this season about Tinordi said how much he improved his skating, his balance, his decision making with the puck.....but every game I've seen him, I still dont see it, all I see is a really big clumsy guy who panics when under pressure, has poor balance....he's on his butt as soon as someone checks him, and throws away the puck......he improved his game.....when he's not under any forechecking pressure, but when he is, it's not impressive......he is a long way from becoming a nhler
As far as Beaulieu, not a fan.....but the potential is there definetaly.....great for him that his junior career is over, this way, he will be exposed to a greater caliber a players, and maybe learn that he is not the greatest thing since sliced bread.......the day he learns that ,he might become a great defenceman in the nhl.
So right now,.......at this point, my memorial scouting report card says that
1) Ellis.....love the guy....would not be scared to call him up for a game
2) Beaulieu....great potential, 1 or 2 years in the ahl to see if he can learn
3) Tinordi.....ahl, gotta teach the kid the abc's of playng D
4) Bournival....great kid, but dont think he'll ever make it in the nhl

rickthegoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 07:26 AM
JohnnyB11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickthegoon View Post
Well, to tell the truth, my opinion is only basd on a few games i watched on tv, during the world juniors this winter, the chl playoffs and these couple games so far at the memorial cup. So that being said, it's just my 2 cents.
But if I had to choose between Ellis, Beaulieu and Tinordi, ....Ellis would be the one wich , in my opinion would adapt the fastest to the NHL. His no non sense style of play can be incorporated within any system. He can handle pressure and accept to take a hit without " panicking", has a great vision, always makes a great first pass,can skate the puck out of the zone.......everytime i see him play I ask myslef " what he would look like whit players of his caliber...guys who could handle his pass?""....
Everything i read this season about Tinordi said how much he improved his skating, his balance, his decision making with the puck.....but every game I've seen him, I still dont see it, all I see is a really big clumsy guy who panics when under pressure, has poor balance....he's on his butt as soon as someone checks him, and throws away the puck......he improved his game.....when he's not under any forechecking pressure, but when he is, it's not impressive......he is a long way from becoming a nhler
As far as Beaulieu, not a fan.....but the potential is there definetaly.....great for him that his junior career is over, this way, he will be exposed to a greater caliber a players, and maybe learn that he is not the greatest thing since sliced bread.......the day he learns that ,he might become a great defenceman in the nhl.
So right now,.......at this point, my memorial scouting report card says that
1) Ellis.....love the guy....would not be scared to call him up for a game
2) Beaulieu....great potential, 1 or 2 years in the ahl to see if he can learn
3) Tinordi.....ahl, gotta teach the kid the abc's of playng D
4) Bournival....great kid, but dont think he'll ever make it in the nhl
Seen a lot of Ellis and Beaulieu the last few years, especially Beaulieu. Very happy the Habs have both, I thought Ellis was a bit of a steal when they drafted him, and was thrilled Beaulieu was on the board at 17. But you're right, your opinion is only based on a few games and is not quite right.

If you feel Beaulieu's biggest flaw is over-confidence, we're in good shape. Subban worked out OK, and Nathan has a better skill set. Also don't know if you remembered the World Juniors but Beaulieu was asked to tone it down and play safe, which he did extremely well. I for one was pleasantly surprised, and it proved what's been said of him in that he's very coachable.

Ellis seems like a character guy, further confirmed by Beender Donethat, but what would expect of a good Maritime boy lol! But there's no way his skating is NHL ready yet, not even close imo.

Bottom line though, with Ellis, Tinordi and Beaulieu in the stable the future of the Habs blue line looks sweet indeed.

JohnnyB11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 07:27 AM
FiveForDrawingBlood

Tinordi of the three be best to me. Future captain potential could dominate games. Ellis needs year or two in minors.

FiveForDrawingBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 07:46 AM
rickthegoon

@johnnyb11...when you say Beaulieu has a greater skill set, is that compared to Subban or Ellis and Tinordi ?...with Beaulieu, I see him taking offensive chances that turn into turnovers to often, one would say that Subban would also do that at the junior level, but his skating was so much stronger that he could regain possession of the puck while I feel Beaulieu often quits on the play when he loses thepuck.
Like I said, now that his junior days are coming to an end, we'll see how he'll adapt to better opposition.

rickthegoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 08:30 AM
theboss*

Tinordi is going to have the biggest impact, 6'7 shutdown d-man to play with Subban

theboss* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 08:32 AM
patsbury

I love all 3 and I think, at some point, 1 of those 3 young guys will become a trade bait to fill a hole (read top 6 guy). Since we have Subban, it might be Beaulieu; Tinordi is the one I saw in a Habs jersey for a long time, we need to keep that guy

patsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 08:47 AM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsbury View Post
I love all 3 and I think, at some point, 1 of those 3 young guys will become a trade bait to fill a hole (read top 6 guy). Since we have Subban, it might be Beaulieu; Tinordi is the one I saw in a Habs jersey for a long time, we need to keep that guy
I don't have a problem with Beaulieu becoming a winger and he can play the point on the power play. Put him on a line with Eller, he'll get over it.

Frozenice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 09:07 AM
EmelinHipCheck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenice View Post
I don't have a problem with Beaulieu becoming a winger and he can play the point on the power play. Put him on a line with Eller, he'll get over it.
Wait what ?

EmelinHipCheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 09:07 AM
Craig71

Quote:
We should put Carey Price on that line as well.

Craig71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 09:45 AM
Captain Saku

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsbury View Post
I dont think we will have to trde any of them, each one fills a need and they're 3 completely different deffensemen. There is also a high probability that at least one of the three will bust. So better keep the three.

Captain Saku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 09:51 AM
hogtownhabsfan*

Honestly, I wish he weren't so humble. Be modest after you retire. Alot of offense in hockey is just believing you can do it. He has the skills to be a great 2 way d-man, more of an offensive zone guy than a puck rushing guy, and hopefully he can start believing himself to be that guy.

hogtownhabsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 09:52 AM
Andy

Love this kid. That's why I've had him in my avatar for months now. Props to Whitesnake for being one of the first to notice his talents. Whitesnake opened my eyes towards Ellis and I've loved him since the habs training camp last year.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 09:54 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
Honestly, I wish he weren't so humble. Be modest after you retire. Alot of offense in hockey is just believing you can do it. He has the skills to be a great 2 way d-man, more of an offensive zone guy than a puck rushing guy, and hopefully he can start believing himself to be that guy.
He is a maritimer. We are humble about everything except our ability to drink and fight.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 10:01 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
He is a maritimer. We are humble about everything except our ability to drink and fight.
And play crib.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 10:03 AM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Well hopefully it's just lip service, as he sn't going to be point producer unless he believes he can be. And IMO his potential is as a two way guy, perhaps similar to a Bieksa.

hogtownhabsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 10:19 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:

What?

You have a big smooth skating defenseman with offensive skill but we should convert him to a 3rd line winger? Carbo is that you?

Last edited by Monctonscout: 05-20-2012 at 10:29 AM.
Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 10:32 AM
Wongchenyuk27
#WONGCHENYUK

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickthegoon View Post
@johnnyb11...when you say Beaulieu has a greater skill set, is that compared to Subban or Ellis and Tinordi ?...with Beaulieu, I see him taking offensive chances that turn into turnovers to often, one would say that Subban would also do that at the junior level, but his skating was so much stronger that he could regain possession of the puck while I feel Beaulieu often quits on the play when he loses thepuck.
Like I said, now that his junior days are coming to an end, we'll see how he'll adapt to better opposition.
I'm sure you say that because of that play in the WJC where he thought there was a whistle.. lol and Beaulieu's skating is effortless but fast ! He is faster than Subban but not as agile I would say.

Wongchenyuk27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 10:34 AM
googlymoogly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Saku View Post
I dont think we will have to trde any of them, each one fills a need and they're 3 completely different deffensemen. There is also a high probability that at least one of the three will bust. So better keep the three.
Of the three, Beaulieu could turn into a Brisebois type player where his defense remains low grade but can put points on the board. Nothing wrong with it as long as he doesn't become your number 1 like poor Brisebois when the Habs had no depth.

Ellis and Tinordi should be good defensive dmen the only question is where they may fall into place. Ellis could top out at a #3 with Tinordi reaching #2 since both will lack offensive output. They will be able to perform against other teams top lines is my belief.

googlymoogly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 10:38 AM
Andy

For some reason, Beaulieu just screams Brian Campbell to me. It's not like that's a bad thing. He's just a higher risk defenseman.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 10:39 AM
Protest the Hero

I don't think Ellis will lack point production. He won't be putting up Markov numbers, but I can see him hitting 40, but usually in the 30 range. I expect him to put on some muscle in the coming years too, and in 2-3 years he'll be a force for us defensively. Dan Girardi could be a good comparable, but Ellis will carry the puck more.

Protest the Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 10:46 AM
googlymoogly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest the Hero View Post
I don't think Ellis will lack point production. He won't be putting up Markov numbers, but I can see him hitting 40, but usually in the 30 range. I expect him to put on some muscle in the coming years too, and in 2-3 years he'll be a force for us defensively. Dan Girardi could be a good comparable, but Ellis will carry the puck more.
Tinordi-Ellis might make a great pairing for shutdown work while Ellis puts up the points for the pairing.

googlymoogly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 10:58 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by googlymoogly View Post
Tinordi-Ellis might make a great pairing for shutdown work while Ellis puts up the points for the pairing.
Gill - Gorges v2.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 11:09 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
I would prefer to ground Subban and Beaulieu with stay at home guys.

Subban-Gorges
Beaulieu-Tinordi
Emelin-Ellis

Of course, I suck at sides for D pairings, so fix them as you will

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote