HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > NHL Draft - Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL Draft - Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Who Will Be the Biggest Faller?

Old
05-20-2012, 07:25 AM
Ace Dreamer

vCash: 500
Who Will Be the Biggest Faller?

In many previous drafts, we have seen some great players, projected to go top 5 or even top 3, fall way down the charts.
For example:

- Sean Couturier (7th overall/2011)

- Cam Fowler (12th overall/2010)

- Brandon Gormely (13th overall/2010)

The question remains, who will be this year's Couturier/Fowler/Gormely?

Ace Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 07:33 AM
DaveG
Global Moderator
How's the thesis?

vCash: 50
likely one of the dmen (Reilly, Dumba, etc.) but with the KHL rumors I won't be shocked if Grigorenko slips out of the top 3.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 07:33 AM
PaulSedin
#lydia2012

Grigorenko

PaulSedin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 07:49 AM
bp spec

Couturier went 8th overall.

I think Grigorenko will fall down the chart.

bp spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 08:45 AM
CodeBlue*

The KHL rumours are absurd to begin with. Grigs wouldn't move to Canada to play hockey, and take English classes only to go back to Russia. It also helps that he's been learning from Patrick Roy along the way.

CodeBlue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 09:11 AM
ottawah

Well, to fall to me someone has to be something of a strongly expected pick. For example, Faska seems all over the map, anywhere from 6 - 20, so if he went 18 for example, thats not an unexpected slot.

I'm not convinced Murray has the star quality to go as high as has been thought in the past, and have actually seen him out of the top 10 in some lists, although most lists have him top 4. I can see him being a surprise drop as he does not have that wow factor that is usually required within the top 10.

After that one or two d men will fall minimum. There are just too many that cannot separate themselves from the pack, Ceci, Trouba, Dumba, Reilly, Reinhart, Poulliot, Lindholm, Mattaa. That list could easily be 6 - 13 and you just know that not every team will pick a dman. Chances are up to three of them could fall out of the top 15, and seeing one or two of them out of the top 20 is not out of the question.

Grigs is obvious, but in a draft where there is less talent up front than usual, someone will not want a d man, and see nothing on the forwards with his skill level and take him. He may fall, just not as far

ottawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 09:14 AM
Acallabeth

Galchenyuk may fall.

Acallabeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 09:45 AM
DJB

vCash: 172
Grigorenko without a doubt...

DJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 09:54 AM
HabsIslesFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeBlue View Post
The KHL rumours are absurd to begin with. Grigs wouldn't move to Canada to play hockey, and take English classes only to go back to Russia. It also helps that he's been learning from Patrick Roy along the way.
Radulov did the exact same thing. Came over from Russia to play for the Quebec REmparts who were coached by Roy and then took off for the KHL after two NHL seasons.

HabsIslesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 09:59 AM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottawah View Post
Well, to fall to me someone has to be something of a strongly expected pick. For example, Faska seems all over the map, anywhere from 6 - 20, so if he went 18 for example, thats not an unexpected slot.

I'm not convinced Murray has the star quality to go as high as has been thought in the past, and have actually seen him out of the top 10 in some lists, although most lists have him top 4. I can see him being a surprise drop as he does not have that wow factor that is usually required within the top 10.

After that one or two d men will fall minimum. There are just too many that cannot separate themselves from the pack, Ceci, Trouba, Dumba, Reilly, Reinhart, Poulliot, Lindholm, Mattaa. That list could easily be 6 - 13 and you just know that not every team will pick a dman. Chances are up to three of them could fall out of the top 15, and seeing one or two of them out of the top 20 is not out of the question.

Grigs is obvious, but in a draft where there is less talent up front than usual, someone will not want a d man, and see nothing on the forwards with his skill level and take him. He may fall, just not as far
I actually think Murray stands a good chance of being a top three pick (I could even see the Oilers take him #1). He represents an almost "sure thing." He might never be a star, but I can see him being a top four d-man for 15 years. For teams that have struggled to be relevant for quite some time, I think that is an attractive proposition.

Last edited by Rabid Ranger: 05-20-2012 at 10:04 AM.
Rabid Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 10:12 AM
DaveG
Global Moderator
How's the thesis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
I actually think Murray stand a good chance of being a top three pick (I could even see the Oilers take him #1). He represents an almost "sure thing." He might never be a star, but I can see him being a top four d-man for 15 years. For teams that have struggled to be relevant for quite some time, I think that is an attractive proposition.
That's the one thing that separates Murray from any other pick in this draft to me, aside from maybe Nail. The worst you're going to get from him looks to be a solid 2nd pairing dman. The upside is unknown and is probably a #2 dman, though it could be higher. But basically you'll be drafting another Glen Wesley or Marc Staal to add to your defense if you select him. And that is the single biggest reason that he's likely to go before some of these other dmen that have higher upside, but far more risk to selecting them.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 10:19 AM
Johnny McBravo
Hello Connor

Forsberg

Johnny McBravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 10:48 AM
Leehh

Grigo and Forsberg

Leehh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 10:55 AM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
That's the one thing that separates Murray from any other pick in this draft to me, aside from maybe Nail. The worst you're going to get from him looks to be a solid 2nd pairing dman. The upside is unknown and is probably a #2 dman, though it could be higher. But basically you'll be drafting another Glen Wesley or Marc Staal to add to your defense if you select him. And that is the single biggest reason that he's likely to go before some of these other dmen that have higher upside, but far more risk to selecting them.
Right-and Lowe has gamed the system here by getting an extended look at Murray in competition at the "senior" level via the WCs. I think Murray proved that he can step in right away and not look out of place.

Rabid Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 11:25 AM
CertifiedPublicGuin

I have a weird feeling that Grigorenko is going to slide to somewhere in the 12-15 range.

It seems like the stars are alligning in this situation, with the Russian factor being there, one that played in the Q for that matter (historically hasn't been the best place for a developing Russian player, or at least some evidence suggests that), a somewhat lackluster playoff performance relatively speaking, and what appears to be some missing pieces mentally in the area of consistent effort, not just game to game but even shift to shift.

Personally I'd be tripping all over myself to grab him at 10-15 should he slide. Too much reward potential with that pick, considering the 10-15 selections are far from certain.

CertifiedPublicGuin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 12:48 PM
CodeBlue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsIslesFan View Post
Radulov did the exact same thing. Came over from Russia to play for the Quebec REmparts who were coached by Roy and then took off for the KHL after two NHL seasons.

While still under contract with the Preds for 1 more season. And apparently he gave Nashville prior notice that he wanted to play in Russia. Also, did Roy like Radulov so much that he traded up in the import draft just to get him?

Anyways, I don't see how Radulov's situation is relevant to Grigs. You might as well have read those rumours on Eklund's website because as it stands, there's no truth to them.

Old
05-20-2012, 12:53 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeBlue View Post
I agree with you, but Radulov did exactly that...

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 12:55 PM
CodeBlue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
I agree with you, but Radulov did exactly that...
Until Grigs makes it known that he wants to play in Russia at some point (like Radulov did), those KHL rumours should be taken with the usual grain of salt.

Old
05-20-2012, 12:55 PM
oilersfan87

Forsberg

oilersfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 12:59 PM
Future

Grigorenko. Hopefully to the Leafs.

Future is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 01:02 PM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulemon View Post
Grigorenko. Hopefully to the Leafs.
Wouldn't qualify as a ''faller''.

Marc the Habs Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 01:35 PM
bsmith14

its a funny draft, after yakupov anyone of the potential top 10 could go either 2nd or 10th and it wouldnt be all that shocking

bsmith14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 02:01 PM
CodeBlue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith14 View Post
its a funny draft, after yakupov anyone of the potential top 10 could go either 2nd or 10th and it wouldnt be all that shocking
Well it would be a surprise if either Grigs, Gally, or Murray went 10th.

Old
05-20-2012, 02:31 PM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason29walker View Post
In many previous drafts, we have seen some great players, projected to go top 5 or even top 3, fall way down the charts.
For example:

- Sean Couturier (7th overall/2011)
He was taken 8th overall.

And I bet Faksa falls pretty far.

Granlund2Pulkkinen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 02:47 PM
n3ss

Would love to see Grigorenko fall to 16 and one of the defenders to 11.

n3ss is offline   Reply With Quote