HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Who Will Be the Biggest Faller?

Old
05-21-2012, 11:03 AM
nbducksfan19

vCash: 500
I would say Morgan Rielly or Forsberg.

nbducksfan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 12:28 PM
Pyrophorus

Send a message via MSN to Pyrophorus Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrophorus Send a message via Skype™ to Pyrophorus
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodeBlue View Post
The KHL rumours are absurd to begin with. Grigs wouldn't move to Canada to play hockey, and take English classes only to go back to Russia. It also helps that he's been learning from Patrick Roy along the way.
You would take English lessons, in Quebec City?

Pyrophorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 12:29 PM
Pyrophorus

Send a message via MSN to Pyrophorus Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrophorus Send a message via Skype™ to Pyrophorus
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbducksfan19 View Post
I would say Morgan Rielly or Forsberg.
Hopefully to #5

Pyrophorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 12:46 PM
KrisBeKreame

If Yakupov does not go first overall is that a big fall? I think Murray will go first and Columbus will not pick him either.

My line of thinking is that Edm will take Murray knowing that Columbus would have selected him second overall. I honestlt think that Columbus would want nothing to do with Yakupov, so pick someone else or trade down.

KrisBeKreame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 01:26 PM
Menwithouthat tricks

All these people picking Forsberg - I don't understand it, unless they count a drop to 6 or 7 as a "fall". I can't think of any reason at this stage that he would drop out of the top 5. In terms of fallers, I think Grigorenko is the most obvious candidate, but I think he goes no lower than 5. My most likely faller near the top is Dumba.

Menwithouthat tricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 02:03 PM
Dekar

If he doesn't get taken #1 or #2 (which I'm pretty sure I can see Yakupov and Murray being taken in those spots), I really have trouble seeing the Habs pass up Grigorenko. Unless Timmins' presence in the American draft system have him favouring Galchenyuk instead, I really can't see Grigs falling that low.

Forsberg might fall if some scouts see his transition to North American ice as something they don't want to have to potentially wait a long time for, as he's the only highly-ranked (skater) prospect to come from the Euro leagues.

Dekar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 02:05 PM
DuckJet
#KESBAE

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrophorus View Post
Hopefully to #5
Yup then we can have Galchenyuk

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 03:22 PM
Kevin8se7en
Unregistered User

Morgan Reilly would be my bet if I HAD to bet on it. I think he could slip outside the top 10
It's not likely, but its the nature if the thread.

Kevin8se7en is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 03:24 PM
NH57
Habs 4 Life

If Edmonton takes Murray, and Columbus takes maybe Forsberg, as they want to have nothing to do with Russians, that means Yakupov will be available at #3 for Montreal!

NH57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 04:41 PM
MVP of West Hollywd

After seeing Button's list and with the D men in this draft I'll go out on a limb and say Ryan Murray pulling a Fowler

MVP of West Hollywd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 05:07 PM
Iggy-4-50

The way the KHL is throwing $$$ at young players I would not waste a top 10 pick on a Russian, I can see Edmonton trading the #1. with the number of great looking Dman up for grabs they would be stupid not too. I can see Montreal and Toronto dumb enough to take Yakupov and give up a lot to get him.

Iggy-4-50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 05:29 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaner89 View Post
Colberg even tho I think he's awesome.
Collberg is my pick too.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 06:33 PM
ottawah

I find it a bit amusing people trying to talk Yakapov down to number 3 ....

Columbus has not had bad luck with Russians, they have had crappy drafts. It has nothing to do with the nationality and all to do with not picking good players. Look at their high picks (top 10) the past bit.

Filatov? He had a chance elsewhere he sucks not because he wanted to go back to Russia, because he plains stinks.

Voracek, Czech maybe not a star but when looking at players after him, not bad.

Brassard? Canadian, numbers wise a good career, but really not an impact player.

Brule? Canadian. Pretty meaningless career so far.

Pickard? Canadian. Pretty much a dud.

Zherdev, Russian, not good enough to stay in NHL.

Nash - Canadian, Perfect pick.

LeClaire - Canadian, waste of a pick.

Kesla, Russian, just not that good.

When it gets right down to it, they have just made crappy picks regardless of the nationality. If anything that screams just take the best damn player possible. Yakapov is not Zherdev, not Kesla, not Filatov in the sense that he is the consensus number 1, agreed by everyone to be the best player available, the only sure star of this draft, not some player ranked as a second tier prospect like all those other russians were. No was he slides past 2 if by some miracle he does not go 1.

Speaking of which .....

As for Murray to Edmonton, that is also a pipe dream IMHO. A guy most scouts now think will be a second pairing D man going first overall? A player that may be safe, but does not have the wow factor offensively or defensively of your usual top picks? Edmonton already has a few decent d men and their top 2 prospects are D men. They need a goalie, and the draft is not a place to answer that short of a trade, and if they want to pull that off, they either take the best player available, or the team trading with them takes him.

Look back. Think anyone wants to change Kane for Alzer? Hedman for Taveras? Gubranson for Hall? I think those are all three good dependable d men who will be in the league for 15 years, be decent second pairing, maybe edge into first pairing D men, never dominate offensively or defensively but be solid good players. Sound familiar?

I'll not rag too hard on Murray, I still think he is the best D man in this draft, but as far as hockey value goes, he is not Yakapov. I cannot see how Edmonton would draft Murray number 1.

ottawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 11:36 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 4250
Faksa

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 12:36 AM
duli12345

I think Greco is gonna FALL. I just see a soft player, at times lazy Russian who is most likely to bolt to the KHL and mae a ton of $$ if he does not make the NHL off training camp.

Some team could hit a homerun as well because of this if it gets out of hand and he falls say past 12-13th spot.

duli12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 01:44 AM
Qvist

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottawah View Post
I find it a bit amusing people trying to talk Yakapov down to number 3 ....

Columbus has not had bad luck with Russians, they have had crappy drafts. It has nothing to do with the nationality and all to do with not picking good players. Look at their high picks (top 10) the past bit.

Filatov? He had a chance elsewhere he sucks not because he wanted to go back to Russia, because he plains stinks.

Voracek, Czech maybe not a star but when looking at players after him, not bad.

Brassard? Canadian, numbers wise a good career, but really not an impact player.

Brule? Canadian. Pretty meaningless career so far.

Pickard? Canadian. Pretty much a dud.

Zherdev, Russian, not good enough to stay in NHL.

Nash - Canadian, Perfect pick.

LeClaire - Canadian, waste of a pick.

Kesla, Russian, just not that good.

When it gets right down to it, they have just made crappy picks regardless of the nationality. If anything that screams just take the best damn player possible. Yakapov is not Zherdev, not Kesla, not Filatov in the sense that he is the consensus number 1, agreed by everyone to be the best player available, the only sure star of this draft, not some player ranked as a second tier prospect like all those other russians were. No was he slides past 2 if by some miracle he does not go 1.

Speaking of which .....

As for Murray to Edmonton, that is also a pipe dream IMHO. A guy most scouts now think will be a second pairing D man going first overall? A player that may be safe, but does not have the wow factor offensively or defensively of your usual top picks? Edmonton already has a few decent d men and their top 2 prospects are D men. They need a goalie, and the draft is not a place to answer that short of a trade, and if they want to pull that off, they either take the best player available, or the team trading with them takes him.

Look back. Think anyone wants to change Kane for Alzer? Hedman for Taveras? Gubranson for Hall? I think those are all three good dependable d men who will be in the league for 15 years, be decent second pairing, maybe edge into first pairing D men, never dominate offensively or defensively but be solid good players. Sound familiar?

I'll not rag too hard on Murray, I still think he is the best D man in this draft, but as far as hockey value goes, he is not Yakapov. I cannot see how Edmonton would draft Murray number 1.
Klesla is Czech. Not that I disagree with your basic point.

Qvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 01:51 AM
EpicNeilTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by duli12345 View Post
Maata is gonna be a top 2-3 dman at the next level cuz he thinks the game well and is good all around. And if you want a defensive dman with 2 way abilities I don't know why you would not want him. He is one of the safest.

IMO with his current play in the playoffs he put himself out of the reach of the teams picking 12-15th.

But that means guys like one of Ceci, Trouba, Reinhart could fall to the 15th range.

I agree a lot of the teams picking top 14 that missed the playoffs minus ONLY Edmonton are STARVING for top 6 impact forwards. I could see some studs being had later than even Hamilton was had by the B's do to all of NYI, Ott, Win and Philly wanting more impact forward in their system last year. The gab between Hamilton and the other forwards picked ahead of him being non existent tipped the scales.

It will be the same this year except there is a lot more quality dman than last years forward heavy draft.

So that means I expect all the 3 Russians, plus Forsberg, plus TT, plus Faska, and probably Colberg to be gone in the top 10-12.
It's not a knock on him, I'm sure he'll be a great NHL'er, just I don't really like him personally.

EpicNeilTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 02:26 AM
Qvist

Quote:
Originally Posted by duli12345 View Post
Maata is gonna be a top 2-3 dman at the next level cuz he thinks the game well and is good all around. And if you want a defensive dman with 2 way abilities I don't know why you would not want him. He is one of the safest..
I have not seen anyone outside these boards describe Maata as someone who has a serious potential to be a top 2-3 D-man. "No major flaws, but borderline top 4 potential" seems to be more the line. That's why you would not want him with anything near a top 10 pick.

Any anyway, the notion that a player who plays a balanced game without any major weaknesses is a "safe bet" to make the NHL is just bollocks. Draft history is full of busts who fit that description.

Qvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 02:51 AM
DuckJet
#KESBAE

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
Faksa
What's he dropping from? I mean if he hits the 20s it would be a slide for sure.

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 08:50 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

vCash: 597
Quote:
I find it a bit amusing people trying to talk Yakapov down to number 3 .....
I don't think people are talking him down.

It's just the way the draft order shook out. The comments made by Tambo, Lowe, the Oilers head scout, etc about Murray and how they could make ''an organizational decision'' instead of taking BPA have fueled it.

Then you have CBJ and their history with Russians...

Pretty much the only 2 teams that would have some fairly legit reasons to pass on him are picking 1-2.

Marc the Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 10:06 AM
ottawah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
I don't think people are talking him down.

It's just the way the draft order shook out. The comments made by Tambo, Lowe, the Oilers head scout, etc about Murray and how they could make ''an organizational decision'' instead of taking BPA have fueled it.
To me its just the usual pre draft lets keep them guessing, basically for the reasons I listed. I'm relatively sure they are shopping the pick, but if they have to draft, they will take the best player available, and for that there is no question.

Quote:

Then you have CBJ and their history with Russians...

Pretty much the only 2 teams that would have some fairly legit reasons to pass on him are picking 1-2.
To me its still CBJ and their history of making bad picks. I think people are reading way to much into it, especially Canadian fans hoping Yakapov will fall.

I really do not remember the last time a consensus number 1 did not go number 1. And its not very often that a team taking a consensus number 1 wishes they could redraft.

I find the general reasoning on why each team would pass of Yakapov relatively lame, and for that to happen twice, just cannot see it. I still do not see a legit reason for either team to pass on Yakapov.

ottawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 10:22 AM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 4250
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
What's he dropping from? I mean if he hits the 20s it would be a slide for sure.
People like him as a top 10, some higher than that even. I don't think he'll be selected that high.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 10:26 AM
GaryU

I would appreciate Reinhart, Trouba or Faksa making it down to #18...

GaryU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 10:34 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

vCash: 597
Quote:
To me its still CBJ and their history of making bad picks.
FWIW, Zherdev and Filatov went right where people figured they would go.

Marc the Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 10:41 AM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
My prediction: Murray falls out of top 7.
Reilly and Dumba have the intangibles that Murray doesnt.

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote