HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Players you would like to see Detroit draft

Old
06-19-2012, 09:00 PM
Bench
Coffee. Pie. Owls.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kemisti View Post
We haven't have many first rounders during this millennium. But I kinda agree, anyway.
Every single fanbase says "trade up" every single year.

You have to get one of those 15 or so guys in front you to forfeit a top 15 pick. It happens, sometimes, but it's rare and not as easy as it sounds. They have to not like a guy, but also like a guy who could fall few spots back. Then you have to give up something substantial, like a top prospect.

It would be even more rare if what you're saying is true, and there are 15 top 10 level picks.

Bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 09:05 PM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

vCash: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench View Post
Every single fanbase says "trade up" every single year.
Yep. And it happens less often than people think.

SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-19-2012, 09:12 PM
Bench
Coffee. Pie. Owls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupNazi View Post
Yep. And it happens less often than people think.
Imagine you're a fanbase that hasn't made the playoffs. Then imagine your GM moves DOWN in the draft, potentially missing a star player.

The only instance I know off-hand where moving down and moving up worked perfect for both teams was in 2003. Dallas, late in the 2003 draft pick moved down from their 1st rounder in a deal with the Ducks. Guess who the Ducks picked up? Corey Frickin' Perry.

The only saving grace is they lucked into picking Loui Eriksson a few picks later. But the other pick they got for moving down, BJ Crombeen, only played about 20 games in a Stars sweater before being lost on waivers. That's an instance where moving down was a lateral move and the extra pick was worthless.

Old
06-20-2012, 02:44 PM
ChadS

Was Frederik Andersen signed by the Hurricanes and if he wasn't; is he now a UFA or back in the draft? He's a very interesting kid and his numbers this year were pretty sick in the regular season. Another guy who was not signed and is back in the draft is Finnish forward Joonas Donskoi who's definitely going to be drafted again. He's a bit of a Russian-style skilled right-handed winger who still needs some work on his shot and strenght. If he falls far enough, I could see the Wings picking him because despite him being 20 he's got obvious potential. Wouldn't be suprised if he puts up ~40 points next year with Kärpät.

Living in Finland, I've mainly just seen the Finns of this draft class, so here's a couple (in addition to Donskoi) who might be good picks in the later rounds:

- D-men Esa Lindell and Mikko Vainonen have been ranked very close to each other in most rankings, #11 and #12 on Central Scouting's Final Euro list (both up one spot from the Mid-term rankings) but outside TSN's top-60. Lindell is an offensive d-man with great hockey sense and puck skills but has work to do on his skating and defensive game. He put up crazy numbers in his 1st jr.A season and was the league's highest scoring d-man by a 12 point margin(also most goals, 6 more than the next d-man). He'll be battling for a place in Jokerit's lineup but if he doesn't make it, he'll play for their 'farm team' in Finland's 2nd highest league. He's also got a very good frame at 6'3/187, so if he's able to develop the things mentioned above, he could be a very good pick in the 3rd-4th round. Vainonen is more of a stay-at-home defenseman with a big body and a mean streak who plays a physical game. He was listed as the heaviest player at the Combine at 6'2.75/222. He doesn't wow you with his offensive skills but can give a good 1st pass and has a hard slapshot. He's also got great leadership abilities and was the captain of Finland's U18 team this year. I have a feeling Lindell will be drafted first among the two because of his superb offensive numbers and if Vainonen slips to our 4th or 5th round picks, he could be a great choice.

- Richard Ullberg is a over-age goalie who made a very wise choice last summer to move to a small club (SaiPa) in Sm-liiga and got to play a lot of games there. I'm not much of a goalie expert but I thought he was quite solid in the games he played and he's got good size as well at 6'3/192. He will likely get a larger role next year since he showed he can play well at that level. His numbers aren't anything special but he played on a pretty bad team. He might not be drafted at all but taking a chance on him in the 7th round might work out.

- Last but not least an other goalie, Joonas Korpisalo, who's much more high-profile than Ullberg (ranked 3rd among Central Scouting Euro goalies, but outside TSN's top-60). Korpisalo was Finland's starter at the U18 WC but didn't perform on the same level as with his own team. I think it was because he had a long break in games before the tournament and he kind of lost his game. He has the size and skill to be a top goalie and had he performed well at the U18, he would likely be a sure 2nd rounder. Now there are some questionmarks but he's got great potential and has been mentioned as a potential draft steal on many occasions. Likely to go in the 3rd round IMO, but could slide to the 4th as well.

ChadS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 05:27 PM
Rzombo4 prez

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadS View Post
Was Frederik Andersen signed by the Hurricanes and if he wasn't; is he now a UFA or back in the draft? He's a very interesting kid and his numbers this year were pretty sick in the regular season. Another guy who was not signed and is back in the draft is Finnish forward Joonas Donskoi who's definitely going to be drafted again. He's a bit of a Russian-style skilled right-handed winger who still needs some work on his shot and strenght. If he falls far enough, I could see the Wings picking him because despite him being 20 he's got obvious potential. Wouldn't be suprised if he puts up ~40 points next year with Kärpät.

Living in Finland, I've mainly just seen the Finns of this draft class, so here's a couple (in addition to Donskoi) who might be good picks in the later rounds:

- D-men Esa Lindell and Mikko Vainonen have been ranked very close to each other in most rankings, #11 and #12 on Central Scouting's Final Euro list (both up one spot from the Mid-term rankings) but outside TSN's top-60. Lindell is an offensive d-man with great hockey sense and puck skills but has work to do on his skating and defensive game. He put up crazy numbers in his 1st jr.A season and was the league's highest scoring d-man by a 12 point margin(also most goals, 6 more than the next d-man). He'll be battling for a place in Jokerit's lineup but if he doesn't make it, he'll play for their 'farm team' in Finland's 2nd highest league. He's also got a very good frame at 6'3/187, so if he's able to develop the things mentioned above, he could be a very good pick in the 3rd-4th round. Vainonen is more of a stay-at-home defenseman with a big body and a mean streak who plays a physical game. He was listed as the heaviest player at the Combine at 6'2.75/222. He doesn't wow you with his offensive skills but can give a good 1st pass and has a hard slapshot. He's also got great leadership abilities and was the captain of Finland's U18 team this year. I have a feeling Lindell will be drafted first among the two because of his superb offensive numbers and if Vainonen slips to our 4th or 5th round picks, he could be a great choice.

- Richard Ullberg is a over-age goalie who made a very wise choice last summer to move to a small club (SaiPa) in Sm-liiga and got to play a lot of games there. I'm not much of a goalie expert but I thought he was quite solid in the games he played and he's got good size as well at 6'3/192. He will likely get a larger role next year since he showed he can play well at that level. His numbers aren't anything special but he played on a pretty bad team. He might not be drafted at all but taking a chance on him in the 7th round might work out.

- Last but not least an other goalie, Joonas Korpisalo, who's much more high-profile than Ullberg (ranked 3rd among Central Scouting Euro goalies, but outside TSN's top-60). Korpisalo was Finland's starter at the U18 WC but didn't perform on the same level as with his own team. I think it was because he had a long break in games before the tournament and he kind of lost his game. He has the size and skill to be a top goalie and had he performed well at the U18, he would likely be a sure 2nd rounder. Now there are some questionmarks but he's got great potential and has been mentioned as a potential draft steal on many occasions. Likely to go in the 3rd round IMO, but could slide to the 4th as well.
Thanks for the info. Do you know why exactly Florida didn't sign Donskoi? Does he have much NHL potential?

Rzombo4 prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 05:39 PM
newfy

Trade back in the second, add an extra third and take Moroz or Rigby with one of those picks

newfy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 05:46 PM
Systemfel
Global Moderator
Hockey Talk by Country

vCash: 50
Quote:
Was Frederik Andersen signed by the Hurricanes and if he wasn't; is he now a UFA or back in the draft? He's a very interesting kid and his numbers this year were pretty sick in the regular season.
He's going back into the draft.

Systemfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 05:58 PM
ChadS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzombo4 prez View Post
Thanks for the info. Do you know why exactly Florida didn't sign Donskoi? Does he have much NHL potential?
I heard it had something to do with money and he also wanted to stay in Finland for one more year. I think his upside is a bottom-6 winger who can be used for the occasional top line stunts in case of injuries etc. (Patrick Eaves comes to mind from the Wings). My comparison would be another Finn, Antti Miettinen. Similar size and skill set.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Systemfel View Post
He's going back into the draft.
Ok, thanks. Have to keep an eye out for his name on Saturday.

ChadS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 08:49 PM
Vatican Roulette
Mona Lisa Lily

Quote:

Ok, thanks. Have to keep an eye out for his name on Saturday.
Rumor was he wanted a one-way, so maybe he doesn't get drafted.

Wouldn't mind the Wings getting him though.

Vatican Roulette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 11:10 PM
grsbmd

A guy who may be available in the #49 range is Boo Nieves, who is going to University of Michigan next fall. He's a great skater and very skilled, but needs some time to develop, so that fits the mold exactly of the type of players Detroit has been taking the last few years.

grsbmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2012, 11:38 PM
Go Wings

Quote:
Originally Posted by grsbmd View Post
A guy who may be available in the #49 range is Boo Nieves, who is going to University of Michigan next fall. He's a great skater and very skilled, but needs some time to develop, so that fits the mold exactly of the type of players Detroit has been taking the last few years.
He would be a great pick at 49 however I think he might be gone before then. Hard hitting defensemen Patrick Sieloffis who I want at that pick if he's available or power forward Brian Hart.

Go Wings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 07:55 AM
RedMachine87

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfly View Post
A.k.a detroits first pick this year, and probably the only pick that will become a good prospect (tatar, järnkrok both middle to late second rounders for example, pulkkinen and tvrdon etc dropped because they were injured for so long)

I would rather have another Tatar/Järnkrok than a goalie you could sign for 1.5M at free agency.
I actually agree with mindfly on this one. Even goalies who eventually make it to the NHL (and they typically take the longest to become NHL ready, among position players) are pretty inconsistent from year to year. Unless the goalie you're taking in then first couple rounds is a can't miss talent, I really prefer filling that position through free agency or late round draft picks.

RedMachine87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 04:53 PM
newfy

Alright boys and girls this might be my last post about players before the draft, but I have found the realistic guy that I want the wings to land at 49. LUKAS SUTTER

The kid is a tank out there with offensive upside and good family blood lines.

In his WHL rookie year he had 4 goals and 15 assists for 19 points, he jumped those numbers up to 28 goals and 31 assists this season. He has decent speed, not fast and not slow but has quickened since last season.

To go with solid offense, he is considered a very solid 2 way player (much like other Sutters). He was relied on as a young kid to be the go to defensive guy this season on the blades and was good in that role.

To top it all off, hes tough. 27 fights in 2 WHL seasons and a hard forecheck, big hit style of game. He took himself from probably not being a legit NHL prospect last season to being a 3rd rounder at worst this year. I realy hope the wings can land him, he seems like a Detroit style center with his two way play but provides some grit the system lacks

Describes himself as an in your face 2 way center and gets compared to Brandon Dubinsky, although Dubinsky doesnt fight as much

After looking at guys in the wings range, I think this is who I want the wings to take at 49

newfy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 04:55 PM
mindfly
KEN HOLLAND OUT

Is there a slim chance that detroit might trade for a pick in the 1st round? Just wondering because I won't stay up til 5 am just to watch other teams' pick players who aren't even really good like a crosby or ovechkin etc...

mindfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 04:58 PM
Bench
Coffee. Pie. Owls.

Quote:
Is there a slim chance that detroit might trade for a pick in the 1st round? Just wondering because I won't stay up til 5 am just to watch other teams' pick players who aren't even really good like a crosby or ovechkin etc...
This is just me personally, but I'd rather watch a Seinfeld rerun than bother with the draft. It moves so slow and it's only entertaining if Burke is upset.

Old
06-21-2012, 05:02 PM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

Quote:
How should we know? Only your buddy KH knows what he plans on doing tomorrow.

Old
06-21-2012, 05:02 PM
mindfly
KEN HOLLAND OUT

Quote:
This is just me personally, but I'd rather watch a Seinfeld rerun than bother with the draft. It moves so slow and it's only entertaining if Burke is upset.
Well I agree, the only highlight is if there's a trade with players, like the Burns trade at the draft floor last year, or when the wings go up on stage to make their pick, now they don't have a 1st rounder, and rounds 2-7 goes by very fast, and starts earlier on satuday so that will definitely be more interesting

mindfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 05:42 PM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

Quote:
Burke pouting is the only reason I watch it.

Old
06-21-2012, 06:17 PM
Zetterberg4Captain

Brady Vail????

Zetterberg4Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 06:27 PM
Bench
Coffee. Pie. Owls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupNazi View Post
Burke pouting is the only reason I watch it.
This was a gem in an otherwise snoozefest...

Old
06-21-2012, 06:33 PM
Zetterberg4Captain

Quote:
This was a gem in an otherwise snoozefest...

the best part about this is that Cowen is and will be a better NHL player than kadri

Zetterberg4Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 08:41 PM
RedGibby

Ville Pokka, Ludvig Bystrom, Troy Donnay?

RedGibby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 08:48 PM
Systemfel
Global Moderator
Hockey Talk by Country

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatican Roulette View Post
Rumor was he wanted a one-way, so maybe he doesn't get drafted.

Wouldn't mind the Wings getting him though.
Andersen didn't want nor could he get a one-way, as all ELCs are two-way. What he wanted was a team that didn't have a clear-cut #1 goalie.

Systemfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 10:23 PM
Boomhower

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedGibby View Post
Ville Pokka, Ludvig Bystrom, Troy Donnay?
Troy Donnay? Your from London, so you must have seen him.
The guy is attrocious in every aspect of the game, accept height and reach. I definitely don't see any 'raw' potential. Barron Smith 2.0.

Boomhower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-21-2012, 10:54 PM
RedGibby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomhower View Post
Troy Donnay? Your from London, so you must have seen him.
The guy is attrocious in every aspect of the game, accept height and reach. I definitely don't see any 'raw' potential. Barron Smith 2.0.
Lets call him a project

RedGibby is offline   Reply With Quote