HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

How heavy do the dumbbells at your gym go?

Old
11-13-2013, 11:16 PM
Timmy Brent*

vCash: 500
How heavy do the dumbbells at your gym go?

mine go to 135lbs

Timmy Brent* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2013, 11:23 PM
Ozz

Not enough (110).

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2013, 11:38 PM
Timmy Brent*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozz View Post
Not enough (110).
i feel ya brotha

Timmy Brent* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2013, 11:43 PM
Ozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy Brent View Post
i feel ya brotha
Gotta love using the dusty ol' relics in the corner

I travel a lot for work and frequent out to various gyms as I go along. Anytime I find a gym with the big boy DBs I feel like a kid in a candy shop.

Old
11-14-2013, 03:25 AM
Fanned On It

Mine go to 6,000,000 lbs but it's still not enough.

Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 03:30 AM
maroon 6
Live and let live

vCash: 50
100 is the max dumbells
2 squat racks
2 bench's for bench press
**** ton of treadmills..

maroon 6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 07:37 AM
jorbjorb
BROWN TOWN

150 at my gym LOL and i've seen people use them LOL

jorbjorb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2013, 09:17 AM
Malarowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanned On It View Post
Mine go to 6,000,000 lbs but it's still not enough.
I feel your pain, feels like lifting cotton candy. Ugggghhh how will I get my pecs now.

Malarowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2013, 03:03 AM
Fanned On It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malarowski View Post
I feel your pain, feels like lifting cotton candy. Ugggghhh how will I get my pecs now.
Good to see there are others out there that are as strong as I am. For a while I thought I was a demi-god or something..

Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2013, 05:16 AM
ted1971
History Of Hockey

We don't have real gyms, just Planet Fitness type of places where I live. Ours go to 75lbs., but We have 5 Smith machines and You just bench using those. Also a tip for the youngsters on here, don't go heavy on flat bench, as it will tear up You shoulder joints something fierce. If You want a strong and big chest, do a lot of Incline Bench work, as it puts a lot less strain of Your shoulder joints.

ted1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2013, 12:09 PM
kento19
@kento19

vCash: 1014
110. Just enough for me right now, likely wont be in a month or so.

kento19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2013, 12:20 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
FAT SLOB

My old apartment complex topped out at 25 lbs. The leg press machine only went to 125 .

The place was designed to make sure old people were unlikely to hurt themselves and sue.

11-15-2013, 12:57 PM
Thesensation19

LA fitness has above 150lb I think.

I really think we believe way to much into dumbbells. They are very limiting to our work outs. People spend way to much time on those isolated lifts and not enough on the compound exercises. Especially hockey players.

I saw 3 kids who spent a half hour doing bicep curls. Different variations and different sizes but they spent it all on biceps.

The worst part was that they were talking about that being part of their hockey training. I was like whattttttt?

Why does any hockey player spend a full day in the gym and often worse, two days a week, working on their biceps?

I spent my time doing dead lifts, and thrusters, and did pull ups in between as a super set.

Thesensation19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2013, 01:04 PM
Thesensation19

Dumbbells are very limiting. Very few things you can do with it and for pretty much anyone here I am sure there is no need to have to worry about weights reaching past 150lbs.

Get a barbell. Get a kettle bell.
Plus most of you only do it for isolated movements. Terrible to work your body by pieces. Your body works as one function, so work out like that

Old
11-15-2013, 01:09 PM
Ozz

Quote:

I really think we believe way to much into dumbbells. They are very limiting to our work outs. People spend way to much time on those isolated lifts and not enough on the compound exercises. Especially hockey players.

I saw 3 kids who spent a half hour doing bicep curls. Different variations and different sizes but they spent it all on biceps.

The worst part was that they were talking about that being part of their hockey training. I was like whattttttt?

Why does any hockey player spend a full day in the gym and often worse, two days a week, working on their biceps?

I spent my time doing dead lifts, and thrusters, and did pull ups in between as a super set.
I come from a bodybuilding & powerlifting background, so dumbbells certainly had their place there (and still do). Ancillary muscle training, stability & balance work, etc. True though, most dumbasses in the gym will just do the usual uninformed "lifting" but those types aren't true lifters.

As a kid I only played hockey. As an adult I stopped playing and picked up bodybuilding. Ten years and 70lbs. later I'd begun doing both. Sacrificed a lot of mass to allow me to excel greatly on the rink but things are still good. I don't do straight up powerlifting anymore but my lifting ideals is of the powerbuilding and GPP styles. A mix of "ready for anything" with good ol' brute strength. I won't ever give up BB style training but I also won't let it get back to the point where it'll hinder me in hockey either. I'm still getting better and better as a skater, and my strength is never a concern out there, so it's all good so far.

Old
11-15-2013, 01:44 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thesensation19 View Post

That's the old school mentality. Most of the huge guys you see in the gym can't even throw a baseball properly but I consider lifting weights to be "their sport" so to each his own. If you want to be a better athlete, which most power lifters are not, the common consensus is doing training like cross fit, P90X, Insanity where you are doing your entire body, getting more flexible and working on your diet. The funny part about power lifters at the gym is when they sit there for 5 minutes in between sets, I don't remember playing a sport where I can say 'hold up, give me 5 minutes so I can recover and then we can continue". Not to mention power lifting is about a dirty a "sport" as there is out there. That said those big muscles do look good when you Hulk up out of your shirt when you hit the ring for a match with The Ultimate Warrior, brother.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2013, 01:49 PM
Thesensation19

Quote:
I come from a bodybuilding & powerlifting background, so dumbbells certainly had their place there (and still do). Ancillary muscle training, stability & balance work, etc. True though, most dumbasses in the gym will just do the usual uninformed "lifting" but those types aren't true lifters.

As a kid I only played hockey. As an adult I stopped playing and picked up bodybuilding. Ten years and 70lbs. later I'd begun doing both. Sacrificed a lot of mass to allow me to excel greatly on the rink but things are still good. I don't do straight up powerlifting anymore but my lifting ideals is of the powerbuilding and GPP styles. A mix of "ready for anything" with good ol' brute strength. I won't ever give up BB style training but I also won't let it get back to the point where it'll hinder me in hockey either. I'm still getting better and better as a skater, and my strength is never a concern out there, so it's all good so far.
Hey, then that is a whole different animal.
If thats what you want to do, then I am sure your doing what you want.

And I respect that. Body Building and strength sports in general. I respect it all.

But if were talking hockey and hockey training. I dont understand why peoples work outs consist of 1 day (1-2 hours of) chest. Then one day of legs. Then one day of biceps and back. And so on... Most, doing 3-4 days of isolated movements and their typical 2-4 days of hockey. Honestly. I laugh at that hockey training.

I laugh even more when they sacrifice form of their squats and bench and all lifts for more weight.

Basically. They have the idea to get stronger (in a sport) is to get bigger and to lift like Arnold Swarch and what not

Old
11-15-2013, 03:14 PM
Wizeman*

I argue weights are a form of resistance training and are excellent to improve in any sport. The gym I went to had an unlimited amount as they were all free weights. The heaviest on the dumb bell was 25lbs but you could stack 3 on each side.

Wizeman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2013, 03:53 PM
ted1971
History Of Hockey

Quote:

Single arm dumbbell presses are a great exercise. Not only You work the Chest & Triceps, You also work the Core as it has to help You stabilize everything.

ted1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-15-2013, 04:24 PM
Ozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted1971 View Post
Single arm dumbbell presses are a great exercise. Not only You work the Chest & Triceps, You also work the Core as it has to help You stabilize everything.
Indeed. I'm at the level where I could put up the 100lb. DBs for single-arm presses like that. I'm too scared in my 30s to do that with any sort of frequency of maximum effort. Had a rotator cuff injury long ago from shoulder pressing and would hate to have another, ya know? My powerlifting totals were nearly 1300lbs. so I know a thing or two about core strength too

Last edited by Ozz: 11-15-2013 at 04:45 PM.
Old
11-16-2013, 12:24 PM
swiftwin
#lalala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absent Canuck View Post
I argue weights are a form of resistance training and are excellent to improve in any sport. The gym I went to had an unlimited amount as they were all free weights. The heaviest on the dumb bell was 25lbs but you could stack 3 on each side.
Totally agree with this. Lifting weights does not automatically equal body building like some people in this thread seem to think. Dumbbells are an important part of lifting weights.

swiftwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2013, 02:29 PM
goodriddance628

Dumbbells are excellent for any kind of training, there is no limit what you can do with them I'd take a gym with huge dumbbell rack and no machines any day, most BB exercises will tear your shoulders up as they lock you into a unnatural position and your not able to adjust, with dumbbells you're able to make adjustments to keep your body in a more natural position. I powerlifted for a while and really like Olympic lifts but I guarantee that with a gym with a wide variety of dumbbells you can get a great full body workout.

goodriddance628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2013, 10:48 PM
BoHorvatFan

Have my own sets I can adjust, use P90X and am in the best shape of my life. No expensive gym memberships, I add free weight exercises to his videos and my flexibility and joints have never been better I feel amazing. It's truly had an amazing impact on my life all in the comfort of my own home.

And I am not fat I was skinny at 6 ft 160 when I started now I'm stronger and gained 10 pounds in 7 weeks doing it. BUT if you are doing a p90x type program and your goal is to add muscle take out the cardio, I still do the plyometrics because I love the burn and how it improves my breathing and endurance in other workouts but add some free weights and don't do the cardio dvd. The base of the program, especially the yoga is phenomenal but you need to modify it a little bit to suit your needs, sure if your goal is to lose 40 pounds do the cardio and sweat it out but if you want some size add to the weight lifting. I wish I would've done it when I played hockey because my legs are strong and flexible, feel like I'm ready to run a marathon, can knock 60 push ups out easy when I could only do 15 when I started.

Now Im starting to think about more traditional bodybuilding when Im done this, Ill still do the yoga and the plyo because I love them but i might start training at the gym with some friends who are into bodybuilding. Really all I'd be adding are dead lifts, heavy squats and the bench press, I only do free weight chest press and flys now. Shoulder and Arms would all stay the same, I prefer free weights to machines.

Last edited by BoHorvatFan: 11-17-2013 at 11:00 PM.
BoHorvatFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-19-2013, 09:54 AM
Ozz

Yea, whatever guys. HOW HEAVY DO THE DUMBBELLS IN YOUR GYM GO???

Can't anything on this freakin' site stay on topic for more than 10 seconds?

Old
11-19-2013, 11:24 AM
Stickchecked

Quote:
Yea, whatever guys. HOW HEAVY DO THE DUMBBELLS IN YOUR GYM GO???

Can't anything on this freakin' site stay on topic for more than 10 seconds?
True. But the original thread was pointless to begin with. It certainly didn't deserve 50+ replies. Granted, 15 of those are from Thesensation19.

Nothing gets more replies here than a mindless "How much X is your Y?"

Last edited by Stickchecked: 11-19-2013 at 12:34 PM.
Stickchecked is offline   Reply With Quote