HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 NHL Draft Thread III (June 22nd-23rd)

Closed Thread

Old
05-06-2012, 04:42 PM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Young Guns

vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
2012 NHL Draft Thread III (June 22nd-23rd)

05-06-2012, 05:45 PM
CBJWennberg41
Formerly CBJBrassard

And LA's first now becomes in the 25-30 range

Old
05-06-2012, 05:49 PM
IBleedUnionBlue

vCash: 1800
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbjbrassard16 View Post
25-30 range
27-30

Old
05-06-2012, 05:52 PM
CBJWennberg41
Formerly CBJBrassard

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBleedUnionBlue View Post
27-30
Yeah, two numbers off, I really needed to be corrected.

Old
05-06-2012, 06:12 PM
Jovavic
The Unnamed Feeling

I wanted the 2013 pick anyway.

Old
05-06-2012, 06:36 PM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

Send a message via AIM to Matthew
*Howson takes the 30th pick*

Old
05-06-2012, 07:22 PM
alphafox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
*Howson takes the 30th pick*
I can't even begin to describe the anger of everyone if he did this... I think the board would explode. Besides, taking the 30th pick doesn't help him next year unless he trades it for immediate help. I still have a bad feeling that the entire offseason will be moves trying to save howson's job.

Old
05-06-2012, 07:32 PM
EspenK

So to continue the conversation from the previous thread - what if anything would you trade to Edmonton to swap spots to be able to draft Yakupov?

I'd consider a 2nd or 3rd or a player we wouldn't mind giving up - Methot, Calvert, Kubalik, Gilles.

Murray will probably be a good solid player for a long time. Yakupov has a chance to be a star offensive player. Isn't the upside worth giving something up to get him?

Old
05-06-2012, 07:41 PM
IBleedUnionBlue

vCash: 1800
I simply dont think the difference between 1 and 2 is worth 1 extra player. This team needs depth and isnt in a position to give depth away.

Old
05-06-2012, 08:51 PM
EDM

Of course, the off season will be moves by Howson trying to save his job. If Howson does that, it would be both natural and human. That is why little Macky's decision to keep Howson is so incredible. Howson has got to be looking for immediate improvement, long term development and improvement.

Old
05-06-2012, 09:57 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphafox View Post
I can't even begin to describe the anger of everyone if he did this... I think the board would explode. Besides, taking the 30th pick doesn't help him next year unless he trades it for immediate help. I still have a bad feeling that the entire offseason will be moves trying to save howson's job.
Gee, I think I've heard that pretty much every off season.

Old
05-06-2012, 10:48 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Maybe the question isn't should we trade to swap picks with Edmonton, but should we trade to GET Edmonton's pick - giving us the #1 and #2.

Old
05-06-2012, 11:46 PM
wahsnairb

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
Maybe the question isn't should we trade to swap picks with Edmonton, but should we trade to GET Edmonton's pick - giving us the #1 and #2.
would love to end up with yakupov and galchenyuk like I've said before.. whether that is by doing joey+ for their pick and drafting them 1+2 or moving from 2 to 1 and hoping galchenyuk is there at 5 in a Nash deal to TO

Old
05-07-2012, 12:19 AM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyColdHrdina View Post
I wanted the 2013 pick anyway.
Seconded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBleedUnionBlue View Post
I simply dont think the difference between 1 and 2 is worth 1 extra player. This team needs depth and isnt in a position to give depth away.
This, as well. Nail Yakupov could be a great player, but I don't think the gap is nearly as wide as everyone thinks it is. Yes, he's the #1 offensive player in the draft; but that doesn't mean Murray, Galchenyuk, or Forsberg are going to turn into complete busts. Why give up an asset that we've worked hard to attain? Do we really want the return on Antoine Vermette - with the playoff run he's had - to be a backup AHL goaltender, a mid round pick, and one more spot in the draft? That's if we give up our late second rounder to do it - why would we give up Methot, who is really a serviceable third or fourth defenseman? Or a decent prospect, who could be a 20 goal scorer?

Those are the kinds of moves that Mike Milbury made.

Old
05-07-2012, 12:25 AM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphafox View Post
Trouba's going to be a monster IMHO. Highest ceiling and if he develops his offensive game could be the next Shea Weber (without the 100+mph shot)
Trouba would be very intriguing if we were picking in the 10-14 range. I don't know if he'd fall that far, but he is certainly worth the risk for a team looking for that kind of player. Reminds me a little bit of Brooks Orpik at the same age.

Old
05-07-2012, 06:52 AM
EspenK

If Antoine Vermette had the playoff run while here he wouldn't be in Phoenix.

I like Lee's suggestion. Trade a boatload of stuff & get both picks. This team is so far removed from serious cup contention that adding another 2nd rounder to the stable of assets is not going to help much.

I don't think we have what it takes to get the 1 and 2 but to not take a flyer at the one for a draft pick or a borderline player is kinda silly imo.

Old
05-07-2012, 12:31 PM
Xoggz22

Paul Castron was on Sunday morning (CBJ radion thing) and one question posed was whether Yakupov had fallen some given his lower production this year and injuries. Castron said yes, you would have to think so. Great player but the injuries are a concern and his lower production says something too. He is an "older" draft eligible player too.

My point....above it mentions how some scouts are knocking Murray down a notch. The same happened with Tavares, Nugent Hopkins, Hall, etc. It's that time of year. No one tips their hand and everyone provides half truths.

I think think the high end talent in this draft is very solid and that defense depth is outstanding. Don't believe everything you hear/read this time of year.

Old
05-07-2012, 12:39 PM
Xoggz22

Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
So to continue the conversation from the previous thread - what if anything would you trade to Edmonton to swap spots to be able to draft Yakupov?

I'd consider a 2nd or 3rd or a player we wouldn't mind giving up - Methot, Calvert, Kubalik, Gilles.

Murray will probably be a good solid player for a long time. Yakupov has a chance to be a star offensive player. Isn't the upside worth giving something up to get him?
I don't give up anything to move up one spot. It's only been a short time but Yakupov is compared to Hall and his size has me worried given his style of play. Hall has already experienced multiple injuries (surgery) and Yak plays the same kind of game and roughly the same size.

I don't mind if Yakupov ends up with CBJ but I'm concerned that he's not going to live up to "#1". He may be the majority #1 pick but he isn't head and shoulders above the rest of the top picks. As I recall, Galchenyuk was expected to give him a run for his money at #1. Granted, he too had an injury so there is concern there (I don't want to come across as a hypocrit). My ideal draft gets the CBJ Galchenyuk and Murray. This, of course, means moving Nash for a top 5 pick and the chips to fall correctly.

Anyway, I don't move assets for 1 spot in this instance. Let Edmonton take the gamble. In a weird sort of way I think losing the lottery takes some pressure off having the #1 pick. We know what Edmonton needs and whether they do it through the draft or moving one of their young forwards, I don't want it to be Columbus that ponies up assets.

Old
05-07-2012, 01:08 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoggz22 View Post
Paul Castron was on Sunday morning (CBJ radion thing) and one question posed was whether Yakupov had fallen some given his lower production this year and injuries. Castron said yes, you would have to think so. Great player but the injuries are a concern and his lower production says something too. He is an "older" draft eligible player too.

My point....above it mentions how some scouts are knocking Murray down a notch. The same happened with Tavares, Nugent Hopkins, Hall, etc. It's that time of year. No one tips their hand and everyone provides half truths.

I think think the high end talent in this draft is very solid and that defense depth is outstanding. Don't believe everything you hear/read this time of year.
Interesting points but I'm taking what you say with a grain of salt.

Old
05-07-2012, 01:44 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Anyway, I don't move assets for 1 spot in this instance. Let Edmonton take the gamble.
Depends on what you mean by "assets". If they want our #1 and a 4th round pick, I'm ok with that. If they want Gillies, which they wouldn't but our friend up there suggested, more power to them. Methot? Get rid of that 3 million dollar contract please. Kubalik or Calvert? Hell no.

Old
05-07-2012, 04:16 PM
Xoggz22

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Depends on what you mean by "assets". If they want our #1 and a 4th round pick, I'm ok with that. If they want Gillies, which they wouldn't but our friend up there suggested, more power to them. Methot? Get rid of that 3 million dollar contract please. Kubalik or Calvert? Hell no.
Fair enough. I don't disagree that it would depend on the "asset". I still think we hold out and let someone else either pay the asset or see just what happens at the draft. I would not be surprised if Edmonton picks Murray #1.

Old
05-07-2012, 04:28 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Fair enough. I don't disagree that it would depend on the "asset". I still think we hold out and let someone else either pay the asset or see just what happens at the draft. I would not be surprised if Edmonton picks Murray #1.
Really just depends on how you view the players in question and if the guy you want as #1 is worth it.

Me, personally, if I'm trading Nash I'm looking to move up a pick if the price is reasonable. If it's not, then I'm content with #2.

Old
05-07-2012, 05:20 PM
ThisIsMyAlibi
Howson = Herminated

Alex Galchenyuk's ceiling and potential impact is so much higher than Ryan Murray's. If he checks out physically he's obviously the pick.

Old
05-07-2012, 10:45 PM
Xoggz22

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Really just depends on how you view the players in question and if the guy you want as #1 is worth it.

Me, personally, if I'm trading Nash I'm looking to move up a pick if the price is reasonable. If it's not, then I'm content with #2.
I Think the Nash domino is a big one to fall. While it wouldn't change my opinion on moving an asset, it might change my opinion on who is taken at #2. I'm very bullish on Galchenyuk and think he's got a chance to be better than Yakupov in the long run. He's unlikely to have the impact next year but that's OK with me. I'd like to see what happens with Johansen and Brassard at C and see how our depth turns out in a year or two. I think wings can be had via trade.

Old
05-08-2012, 09:20 AM
alphafox

Personally, I hope we trade, flipping with the Islanders or Leafs depending on the deal we could get. I can see Toronto paying a fairly heafty sum to move up to 2 so that they can take Galchenyuk before Montreal can take him. Something like the 5th overall and Colborne/pick for our 2nd overall. While we lose out on murray who I really like, we can choose between a Trouba (if we want D) or Forsberg while picking up a solid prospect/pick.

Closed Thread