HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

The Nash Thread II (all things Nash here)

Closed Thread

Old
05-22-2012, 02:12 PM
IBleedUnionBlue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Doesn't the trade deadline end sometime after the playoffs and before the draft? Meaning I don't think a trade could happen anytime.
I dont know the specific dates, but the Flyers traded for Brygalov a week before Stanley Cup game 7 last year. So it appears it could happen anytime.

Old
05-22-2012, 02:14 PM
EspenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDM View Post
Whatever happens and when, I want Nash out of here. If we are trying to create a new "culture", that requires (and I emphasize the word "requires") a new captain. Having watched Parisse, Callahan, Doan and Brown lead their teams by showing hard work and effort at every critical moment, I think it would be very damaging to the "new culture" having Nash skating around the ice at the 50% effort level 60% of the time.
And we do not need as a distraction the drama that would surround forcing Nash to surrender the "C" while he is still playing for the team.
Amen.

Old
05-22-2012, 02:28 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDM View Post
Whatever happens and when, I want Nash out of here. If we are trying to create a new "culture", that requires (and I emphasize the word "requires") a new captain. Having watched Parisse, Callahan, Doan and Brown lead their teams by showing hard work and effort at every critical moment, I think it would be very damaging to the "new culture" having Nash skating around the ice at the 50% effort level 60% of the time.
And we do not need as a distraction the drama that would surround forcing Nash to surrender the "C" while he is still playing for the team.
So simply asking him if he just wants to give up the C, kind of like how Marleau did in San Jose and Lecavalier did in Tampa Bay, is somehow inevitably doomed to failure and horror?

He's already evidently considering a reduced role with the Jackets one way or another, be that "no longer trying to lead the franchise" or "no longer on the roster". He hasn't tried to cut ties or leave us in the lurch. I don't see it being that much of an area of concern. The "C" is largely symbolic w/r/t who's really in charge, anyways. He's the easygoing type; it's not like he'll be screwed up if other folks start taking charge. Heck, it might improve things for him since he might no longer feel the need to carry everyone on his back anymore, freeing him to relax, focus on his game, and score bunches and bunches of goals.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Old
05-22-2012, 02:54 PM
blinkman360
Back to Basics

Was wondering what Nash's actual value would be. Figured I'd post this here to get a CBJ fan's perspective.

Strome, 4th overall(Murray), Rakhshani for Nash.

Basically two top-10 prospects and a small/scrappy winger, has mainly played AHL duties but will probably be a useful 3rd or 4th liner in the NHL.

I'm assuming you guys would then use your 2nd overall on the forward you like most after Yakupov, and then since Montreal is most likely going to take a forward as well you will almost be guaranteed to have Murray there for you at the 4th pick.

I understand it is a long shot for Nash to accept a trade to LI, but I wanted to see if value-wise alone this looks like it could work. Thanks.

Old
05-22-2012, 03:06 PM
EDM

There will be 46 different Puckraker articles and at least three different threads on this board discussing and speculating upon the dynamics of him surrendering the "C" if he is still here. For example, if he gives up the "C" "voluntarily" and then does his usual 50% effort to start the year and we lose 5 of the first six (which will probably happen), how long before the first thread speculating about whether cares anymore and whether he is distracting the other players? Nash will be a major distraction here next year. And it is going to be a long enough season without that going on.

Old
05-22-2012, 03:27 PM
Xoggz22

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
Was wondering what Nash's actual value would be. Figured I'd post this here to get a CBJ fan's perspective.

Strome, 4th overall(Murray), Rakhshani for Nash.

Basically two top-10 prospects and a small/scrappy winger, has mainly played AHL duties but will probably be a useful 3rd or 4th liner in the NHL.

I'm assuming you guys would then use your 2nd overall on the forward you like most after Yakupov, and then since Montreal is most likely going to take a forward as well you will almost be guaranteed to have Murray there for you at the 4th pick.

I understand it is a long shot for Nash to accept a trade to LI, but I wanted to see if value-wise alone this looks like it could work. Thanks.
I think there is going to be a strong desire for a top 6 F or top 4 D already in the NHL as part of the package. The NYI wouldn't trade Tavares for a top 5 pick, top prospect (previous top 5 pick not in NHL) and another asset not playing in the NHL. Not that they would trade him or that's his value but if he WERE to be traded they would absolutely want something to show for it now. Like Columbus, the NYI won't get the best player in the deal so you have to get something of value now and for tomorrow.

Old
05-22-2012, 03:57 PM
blinkman360
Back to Basics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xoggz22 View Post
I think there is going to be a strong desire for a top 6 F or top 4 D already in the NHL as part of the package. The NYI wouldn't trade Tavares for a top 5 pick, top prospect (previous top 5 pick not in NHL) and another asset not playing in the NHL. Not that they would trade him or that's his value but if he WERE to be traded they would absolutely want something to show for it now. Like Columbus, the NYI won't get the best player in the deal so you have to get something of value now and for tomorrow.
I honestly just assumed you guys were rebuilding and wanted to go the futures route. In any case I wouldn't be surprised if both Murray and Strome are NHL regulars next season. If it's established talent you want, the Islanders wouldn't make good trade partners. They want to begin their push, so futures would most likely be what they would offer.

Old
05-22-2012, 09:46 PM
thrillermiller89

i threw this out there in the nash thread on the main board... so far it's received favorable reviews...

Nash for Pavelski, Murray, and Greiss

I also said it was more likely that Clowe is in the deal, and not Pavelski. Anyway, I just wanted to get your guys' thoughts....

Oh, and if this deal works for you guys, can someone tell me exactly where Murray would fit in your defense? He would clearly crack your line-up, but who gets scratched out of Methot, Moore, Savard, A. Johnson, and perhaps even Ryan Murray (draft)? How would your defense shake-out?

Old
05-22-2012, 10:17 PM
Gagnefan924
Need Moar AmericanZ

I think the D would go down like this...
JJ D Murray
Wiz Nikitin/Tyutin
Moore Tyutin/Nikitin
Methot

Pretty solid, we could probably trade Tyuts for a top 6 somewhere IF we get D Murray.

Old
05-22-2012, 10:28 PM
thrillermiller89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnefan924 View Post
JJ D Murray
Wiz Nikitin/Tyutin
Moore Tyutin/Nikitin
Methot

Pretty solid, we could probably trade Tyuts for a top 6 somewhere IF we get D Murray.
you dont want to keep tyuts and nikitin together? their russian connection seems to give them a sense of comfort.

Old
05-22-2012, 10:55 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnefan924 View Post
JJ D Murray
Wiz Nikitin/Tyutin
Moore Tyutin/Nikitin
Methot

Um. JMFJ/Wiz did very well together, and Tyutin/Nikitin is pretty much an established pairing. I imagine Murray provide an excuse to trade Methot and one of our 2nds for a top-6 winger or something* - barring that, I'd pair him with Methot and call that a shutdown pairing, put Moore in Springfield, and pick up a benchwarmer #7D in free agency.

*: Disclaimer: I've actually attempted to research how to make this happen and have come up short - I've had some troubles finding anyone who has a spare top-6 winger who needs a second-pairing defensive guy. But I'm hoping that maybe I'm just overlooking something.

Old
05-22-2012, 11:27 PM
Kington87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
Um. JMFJ/Wiz did very well together, and Tyutin/Nikitin is pretty much an established pairing. I imagine Murray provide an excuse to trade Methot and one of our 2nds for a top-6 winger or something* - barring that, I'd pair him with Methot and call that a shutdown pairing, put Moore in Springfield, and pick up a benchwarmer #7D in free agency.

*: Disclaimer: I've actually attempted to research how to make this happen and have come up short - I've had some troubles finding anyone who has a spare top-6 winger who needs a second-pairing defensive guy. But I'm hoping that maybe I'm just overlooking something.

I think I saw Ottawa saying they needed a Methot type D men. They might have some nice top 6 guys we could target... Or a decent prospect? Idk

Old
05-22-2012, 11:32 PM
thrillermiller89

methot and LA's 1st for JVR

Old
05-23-2012, 01:19 AM
alphafox

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillermiller89 View Post
methot and LA's 1st for JVR
I love it. Always liked JVR, and he and Johan could be a scary line someday. I think it might take something else as well though Ottawa's second perhaps?

Old
05-23-2012, 01:51 AM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Doesn't the trade deadline end sometime after the playoffs and before the draft? Meaning I don't think a trade could happen anytime.
Trades can happen any time; the trade deadline is there for the playoff rosters.

Most teams don't make trades during the playoffs because no team still playing is going to give up assets off their current roster in order to get someone who can't help in the playoffs. And a team that's shopping someone isn't going to pull the trigger on a deal when there are still teams who can beat the asking price (but won't because of timing).

Old
05-23-2012, 10:33 AM
thrillermiller89

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphafox View Post
I love it. Always liked JVR, and he and Johan could be a scary line someday. I think it might take something else as well though Ottawa's second perhaps?
columbus should explore this

Old
05-23-2012, 01:26 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
Trades can happen any time; the trade deadline is there for the playoff rosters.

Most teams don't make trades during the playoffs because no team still playing is going to give up assets off their current roster in order to get someone who can't help in the playoffs. And a team that's shopping someone isn't going to pull the trigger on a deal when there are still teams who can beat the asking price (but won't because of timing).
I only asked because of potential "fairness" issues. Obviously playoff teams can't really trade for the reasons you listed.

Old
05-23-2012, 03:23 PM
Crede777
Deputized

Before the draft:
To Edmonton: Methot + 2nd overall
To Columbus: 1st overall

Edmonton gets 2 defensemen in Methot and Murray that can step in and play.
Columbus drafts Yakupov.

Then

To Toronto: Rick Nash
To Columbus: Schenn, Scrivens, #5 overall.

Toronto gets Rick Nash.
Columbus sheds a bit of salary and drafts Galchenyuk.

The faces of the franchise are Johnson, Johansen, Yakupov, and Galchenyuk.

Prospal - Johansen - Yakupov
Umberger - Brassard - Atkinson
Galchenyuk - Letestu - Dorsett
Gillies - Mackenzie - XXXX

Johnson - Wiz
Tyutin - Nikitin
Schenn - Moore

This would be just at the beginning. Eventually I would like to see Galy center Yakupov.

Last edited by Crede777: 05-23-2012 at 03:42 PM.
Old
05-23-2012, 03:51 PM
kshymkiw

Send a message via AIM to kshymkiw
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
Before the draft:

Edmonton gets 2 defensemen in Methot and Murray that can step in and play.
Columbus drafts Yakupov.

Then

To Toronto: Rick Nash
To Columbus: Schenn, Scrivens, #5 overall.

Toronto gets Rick Nash.
Columbus sheds a bit of salary and drafts Galchenyuk.

The faces of the franchise are Johnson, Johansen, Yakupov, and Galchenyuk.

Prospal - Johansen - Yakupov
Umberger - Brassard - Atkinson
Galchenyuk - Letestu - Dorsett
Gillies - Mackenzie - XXXX

Johnson - Wiz
Tyutin - Nikitin
Schenn - Moore

This would be just at the beginning. Eventually I would like to see Galy center Yakupov.
I like where you went with this.

Old
05-23-2012, 04:55 PM
alphafox

IMHO this is to much to give up to move one spot, methot may not be anyone's favorite, but he has more value than moving up one spot. Besides, it seems even odds that Edmonton is going to pick murray at one so why trade anything when there yakupov is as likely as not to drop to us at 2?

Old
05-23-2012, 05:05 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:

IMHO this is to much to give up to move one spot, methot may not be anyone's favorite, but he has more value than moving up one spot. Besides, it seems even odds that Edmonton is going to pick murray at one so why trade anything when there yakupov is as likely as not to drop to us at 2?
Edmonton may well decide that they'll take either one of Murray or another defenseman, and be willing to fall back to 3rd, 4th, or even 5th. Dumba is basically right in their backyard, and the chances of him being available at one of those spots may well see a move made by someone to leapfrog Columbus.

I still think that a Columbus/Edmonton deal to flip picks is going to be fairly small and be centered around "change of scenery" players. In other words, if you have a blank CBJ jersey, figure out what number Linus Omark might wear.

Old
05-23-2012, 05:06 PM
blahblah

Quote:

Not buying the Edmonton is going to take Murray with the #1 pick line of thinking. Having said that, sending Methot over is called a salary dump. He wasn't looking for value in that move.

Old
05-23-2012, 05:18 PM
Crede777
Deputized

Quote:

If they want Murray or Dumba more than Yakupov (they probably don't), they will trade down. It would not be a great loss to lose Methot if we bring back someone like Schenn in the Nash trade.

As stands, I expect Tambellini is going to draft Yakupov unless a deal comes that is in his favor.

Old
05-23-2012, 07:18 PM
Shaun
beauty

vCash: 50
Question... Has Nash ever played the right side? If he was traded to Boston i'm assuming the line he would be on would be Lucic - Seguin - Nash

Old
05-23-2012, 07:33 PM
punk_o_holic

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire View Post
Question... Has Nash ever played the right side? If he was traded to Boston i'm assuming the line he would be on would be Lucic - Seguin - Nash
When Huselius was healthy, Nash has been playing on the right side. I think he was still playing on the right side when Huselius was hurt but not 100% sure.

Closed Thread