HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Canadas best 6 forwards vs Russias

Closed Thread

Old
05-29-2012, 10:04 AM
Yakushev72

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Kanadensisk View Post
and I predict that if the NHL doesn't go to Sochi that the Olympic hockey will become an even bigger deal in Russia. I think it is safe to say that most fans in Russia don't want the other countries to use their best players.
Most fans in Russia, I suspect, realize that they have no control over who shows up whatsoever. Those decisions will be made in other countries. I think its safe to say that, even if the NHL should opt not to come, every country will put together a team and compete for a medal. My guess is that Russian fans would like to see all the best available players show up, but they also would clearly like to see Russia win a Gold Medal. I hope I'm wrong, but I believe that there is a strong chance that the NHL will decide not to go.

Old
05-29-2012, 02:36 PM
Mr Kanadensisk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakushev72 View Post
Most fans in Russia, I suspect, realize that they have no control over who shows up whatsoever. Those decisions will be made in other countries. I think its safe to say that, even if the NHL should opt not to come, every country will put together a team and compete for a medal. My guess is that Russian fans would like to see all the best available players show up, but they also would clearly like to see Russia win a Gold Medal. I hope I'm wrong, but I believe that there is a strong chance that the NHL will decide not to go.
it is no secret that Russia's chances of winning are greatly diminished if the NHL does participate so I can't see them doing anything to encourage the NHL to come

Old
05-29-2012, 03:40 PM
Yakushev72

Quote:
it is no secret that Russia's chances of winning are greatly diminished if the NHL does participate so I can't see them doing anything to encourage the NHL to come
There is nothing that Russia could do to either encourage or discourage the NHL from participating. They either want to or they don't. The decision that the NHL will make will have everything to do with economics, and how badly the players themselves want to play, and nothing to do with international politics. There was talk filtering out of NHL camps almost immediately after Vancouver that that might be their last appearance for a while. It will be interesting to see when the NHL will make a formal announcement regarding their participation. February of 2014 isn't that far away.

Old
05-29-2012, 05:07 PM
Yamaguchi

Quote:
you are reading too much into single game results. You should check the record of the worst team in the NHL this year vs. the cup finalists.
That record cannot be compared with the Canada vs US games in 2010, because Canada and US were the finalists themselves.

Old
05-29-2012, 08:47 PM
Mr Kanadensisk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaguchi View Post
That record cannot be compared with the Canada vs US games in 2010, because Canada and US were the finalists themselves.
what it shows that on any given night the worst team can beat the best team. even in longer series it happens all the time that teams with way more talented players are defeated by teams with better coaching, systems, goaltending, etc.

You're not the first by any stretch, but people read way way too much into the outcome of one or two individual games.

Old
05-29-2012, 08:56 PM
Mr Kanadensisk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakushev72 View Post
There is nothing that Russia could do to either encourage or discourage the NHL from participating. They either want to or they don't. The decision that the NHL will make will have everything to do with economics, and how badly the players themselves want to play, and nothing to do with international politics. There was talk filtering out of NHL camps almost immediately after Vancouver that that might be their last appearance for a while. It will be interesting to see when the NHL will make a formal announcement regarding their participation. February of 2014 isn't that far away.
offering Bettman an NHL-KHL transfer agreement that he likes is the most obvious starting point

Old
05-29-2012, 10:38 PM
Zine

Quote:
offering Bettman an NHL-KHL transfer agreement that he likes is the most obvious starting point
No, the starting (and ending) point is the upcoming CBA negotiation. An NHL-KHL agreement is insignificant in comparison to what the NHL wants in the new CBA.

All federations want NHL olympic participation, but they can't influence a thing....its really an NHL/NHLPA issue.

Old
05-30-2012, 02:25 AM
Theokritos

Quote:
what it shows that on any given night the worst team can beat the best team.
A single regular season game out of 82 ≠ a single elimination game in the Olympics though. It's much more likely that even a strong team is not 100% ready once in a while during a long NHL season with dozens of games behind them and dozens of game ahead of them.

Old
05-30-2012, 09:04 AM
Mr Kanadensisk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zine View Post
No, the starting (and ending) point is the upcoming CBA negotiation. An NHL-KHL agreement is insignificant in comparison to what the NHL wants in the new CBA.

All federations want NHL olympic participation, but they can't influence a thing....its really an NHL/NHLPA issue.
you have to read the string of posts to understand the context. A transfer agreement is the most obvious way the Russians could encourage the NHL to come. Yes it is ultimately an NHL CBA issue, but I think it goes without saying that anything which encourages the two parties negotiating would help. If both the NHL and NHLPA want to go then there is not really an issue.

Old
05-30-2012, 09:06 AM
Mr Kanadensisk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theokritos View Post
A single regular season game out of 82 ≠ a single elimination game in the Olympics though. It's much more likely that even a strong team is not 100% ready once in a while during a long NHL season with dozens of games behind them and dozens of game ahead of them.
I agree they are not the same, but upsets can certainly happen in either situation, such as SWE-BLR in '02. The randomness of sports is one of the things that makes them attractive to people.

Closed Thread