Closed Thread

Old
12-26-2009, 03:13 PM
Moo
Moooooooooooooooo!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sam View Post
The AFC East was made up of Indy, NE, Miami, NYJ and Buffalo for 31 years before Indy got moved to the South (only because the other 4 had stronger rivalries between each other).

I've never thought of St. Louis and the 49ers as a rivalry, but if it is, it may have to be sacrificed for the sake of alignment sanity. If a team moves to LA from the East or Midwest, it has to be in the NFC because the AFC West all have strong rivalries with each other. If not the Rams, who do you propose move?

The Rams really make the most sense
Then re-do the entire NFL and make every division geographically correct so that Dallas and Miami can be geographically correct, too.

If Dallas -- who probably is better served being in the West more than St. Louis -- can stay in the East, then the LA Jaguars wouldn't have an issue being in the South.

Old
12-26-2009, 03:43 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 570
Any team that moves to LA will be in its West division. They're not going to let in-state rivalries with LA go up in smoke so that the 49ers can have it's dead rivalry with the St. Louis Rams.

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2015

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17
Old
12-26-2009, 03:54 PM
Moo
Moooooooooooooooo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Any team that moves to LA will be in its West division. They're not going to let in-state rivalries with LA go up in smoke so that the 49ers can have it's dead rivalry with the St. Louis Rams.
It's not a dead rivalry. It never was dead. Just because they're not each 10+ win teams every single season doesn't mean they can't be rivals. By that definition, Pittsburgh and Cleveland is a dead rivalry -- and there's no way in heck that one's dead!

And throwing a team into a division doesn't make an automatic rivalry, either. You can't force rivalries. Seattle isn't a rival of the 49ers, period. Throw them back to the AFC West, as far as most 49ers fans are concerned. The Saints and Falcons are more rivals than Seattle.

If the NFL wants a team in LA, so be it, but don't screw everything else up just to satisfy this geographical stuff that doesn't apply and wasn't applied 100 percent when the current realignment came into being in 2002.

Old
12-26-2009, 04:25 PM
CFD
shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I dislike the Seahawks and Cardinals 10x more than I dislike the Rams. Of course, it seems what ever team Kurt Warner moves to I grow a dislike for, but I feel sorry for the Rams. I don't hate them anymore.

Although, the Rams moving to LA would definitely renew the rivalry a bit.

Old
12-26-2009, 04:50 PM
kingsholygrail
Member berries!

49ers have a rivalry with Dallas and Green Bay. I wouldn't call what they have with St. Louis a rivalry.

Old
12-26-2009, 05:26 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

If the 49ers/Rams was a legit rivalry, I'm sure it would get some 4:00 national broadcasts, if not a MNF or 2. They never do. Because it's not really that much of a rivalry.

Old
12-26-2009, 05:33 PM
Afino
The Juice

Only rivalries that matter are NFC East.

/ESPN and NBC'd

Old
12-26-2009, 05:39 PM
Moo
Moooooooooooooooo!

Quote:
If the 49ers/Rams was a legit rivalry, I'm sure it would get some 4:00 national broadcasts, if not a MNF or 2. They never do. Because it's not really that much of a rivalry.
First you say it never was a rivalry, which I disproved easily enough when I started rattling off random years for quick effect. Now you're trying to say that it isn't a rivalry due to lack of national TV games? Trust me, I could disprove that one, too, and also give an explanation into why games get national TV spots. I'll spare you from that one for now, but note Afino's post directly before mine for a partial answer to that one, too.

Furthermore, this was from Sports Illustrated in 2008. Top Ten Rivalries of all-time in the NFL. Guess who is in it at No. 8?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mul...content.3.html

Whether you want to admit it or not, it's a rivalry. If you want to use blind, false logic to say it's not, go ahead. But it IS a rivalry.

Old
12-26-2009, 05:44 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

I don't give a flying frig what SI has to say. This isn't the 80s when SI once mattered. Their caption is really kind of hilarious actually.

Old
12-26-2009, 05:48 PM
Melrose Munch

IMO point is the should be no NFL team in Jacksonville. You don't see an NBA team in Saskatoon.

Old
12-26-2009, 05:48 PM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo View Post
First you say it never was a rivalry, which I disproved easily enough when I started rattling off random years for quick effect. Now you're trying to say that it isn't a rivalry due to lack of national TV games? Trust me, I could disprove that one, too, and also give an explanation into why games get national TV spots. I'll spare you from that one for now, but note Afino's post directly before mine for a partial answer to that one, too.

Furthermore, this was from Sports Illustrated in 2008. Top Ten Rivalries of all-time in the NFL. Guess who is in it at No. 8?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mul...content.3.html

Whether you want to admit it or not, it's a rivalry. If you want to use blind, false logic to say it's not, go ahead. But it IS a rivalry.
But you have to admit it has died down since the Rams left Anaheim.

Old
12-26-2009, 05:54 PM
Vic Rattlehead*

Quote:
The Jags don't have huge rivalries with any team in their division so it wouldn't be any big loss. Besides, when a team moves cities most of the rivalries die out anyway. The Steelers/Ravens rivalry didn't "re-ignite" until recently when both teams were consistently good and the games were extra heated.

If it's Buffalo, I move Indy to the AFC East and St. Louis to the AFC South.

If it's Jacksonville, St. Louis moves to the AFC South.

If it's Minnesota, St. Louis move to the NFC North.

If It's Oakland, St. Louis, San Francisco or San Diego, they all stay in the divisions that they're in.
Um, what? Tennessee has arguably been Jacksonville's biggest rival dating back to their time in the AFC central.

I know many people here know absolutely nothing about the franchise, so I can't really excuse you for not knowing that.

Old
12-26-2009, 08:55 PM
What the Faulk
Auggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Rattlehead View Post
Um, what? Tennessee has arguably been Jacksonville's biggest rival dating back to their time in the AFC central.

I know many people here know absolutely nothing about the franchise, so I can't really excuse you for not knowing that.
You're right, no one know's anything about the franchise because aside from a handful of decent players, there's really not too much to know. They're not entertaining to watch, the fans don't care, they haven't had too many memorable games or lasting success. Tennessee may be "arguably Jacksonville's biggest rival" but that's not saying much at all. It is still way low on the totem poll as far as NFL rivalries are concerned, probably just above any current St. Louis/49ers "rivalry". If Jacksonville moves to LA, the "rivalry" is dead. There is absolutely no way they will stay in the AFC South division, which is the discussion at hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo
Then re-do the entire NFL and make every division geographically correct so that Dallas and Miami can be geographically correct, too.

If Dallas -- who probably is better served being in the West more than St. Louis -- can stay in the East, then the LA Jaguars wouldn't have an issue being in the South.
That's not what I meant. Dallas and Miami's rivalries transcend geographical sense. St. Louis's don't really. Again, I'll ask: if it's Buffalo/Minnesota/Jacksonville moving to LA, how do you realign?

Old
12-26-2009, 09:45 PM
Moo
Moooooooooooooooo!

Quote:
That's not what I meant. Dallas and Miami's rivalries transcend geographical sense. St. Louis's don't really. Again, I'll ask: if it's Buffalo/Minnesota/Jacksonville moving to LA, how do you realign?
There is no rule saying realignment HAS to happen. The bottom line is it'll never be a true geographical setup. If it absolutely had to be, we'd still be stuck with odd-numbered divisions and have Houston smashed in somewhere.

So why does a LA team have to go to the West? The old NFC West functioned fine for 30-some years with ET/CT teams. On top of that, why in the heck should the NFL bend over backwards to satisfy a market that bumbled its way out of losing both teams, and failed miserably to get an expansion team that the NFL wanted so badly to give to them but ultimately gave to Houston? They ought to be lucky they got a team to begin with.

And another thought, since Jacksonville is the popular candidate right now: Indy = Dome, Houston = Dome, Tennessee = Not in a regular snow zone. Makes leaving Sunny SoCal easier. Plus, the NFL cares about ratings, and Peyton Manning in LA guaranteed twice above all other national games? The chance to play SD (the closest team to LA) and/or Oakland more often than once every four years based on the current schedule rotation, as opposed to the inverse of just SF more than once every four years? And in the short-term, the AFC is the better conference right now, so the LA Jaguars would be best to not switch divisions.

Old
12-26-2009, 10:41 PM
What the Faulk
Auggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo View Post
There is no rule saying realignment HAS to happen. The bottom line is it'll never be a true geographical setup. If it absolutely had to be, we'd still be stuck with odd-numbered divisions and have Houston smashed in somewhere.

So why does a LA team have to go to the West? The old NFC West functioned fine for 30-some years with ET/CT teams. On top of that, why in the heck should the NFL bend over backwards to satisfy a market that bumbled its way out of losing both teams, and failed miserably to get an expansion team that the NFL wanted so badly to give to them but ultimately gave to Houston? They ought to be lucky they got a team to begin with.

And another thought, since Jacksonville is the popular candidate right now: Indy = Dome, Houston = Dome, Tennessee = Not in a regular snow zone. Makes leaving Sunny SoCal easier. Plus, the NFL cares about ratings, and Peyton Manning in LA guaranteed twice above all other national games? The chance to play SD (the closest team to LA) and/or Oakland more often than once every four years based on the current schedule rotation, as opposed to the inverse of just SF more than once every four years? And in the short-term, the AFC is the better conference right now, so the LA Jaguars would be best to not switch divisions.
Have you looked at a map of NFL teams? Having the Jags in LA and in the AFC South would be terrible for their travel. I realize that it used to be that way, but then that's partially the reason they had the massive realignment in 2002. I'm not saying realign the whole NFL, just 1 or 2 teams to ease travel.

Old
12-26-2009, 11:37 PM
Powerforward17

Quote:
Have you looked at a map of NFL teams? Having the Jags in LA and in the AFC South would be terrible for their travel. I realize that it used to be that way, but then that's partially the reason they had the massive realignment in 2002. I'm not saying realign the whole NFL, just 1 or 2 teams to ease travel.
Further to that, the league is certainly concerned about lengthy travel. Some time ago they tweaked the schedule for teams having to travel to the West Coast multiple times:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4009230

Old
12-27-2009, 12:56 AM
What the Faulk
Auggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by T2000 View Post
Further to that, the league is certainly concerned about lengthy travel. Some time ago they tweaked the schedule for teams having to travel to the West Coast multiple times:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4009230
Hm, interesting, but that does absolutely nothing to ease the travel of West Coast teams to the East Coast which, obviously, is the tougher trip (especially if the game is at 1PM).

Also, I believe there's some type of rule about playing on the road after a Monday Night game. It may be more of a guideline though.

Old
12-27-2009, 01:41 AM
BestPlayerAvailable
RIP Ed Snider

Please don't move the Rams.

Old
12-27-2009, 09:27 AM
Melrose Munch

Quote:

People in Jacksonville know nothing about the franchise either.

Old
12-27-2009, 11:24 AM
CFD
shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Quote:
Hm, interesting, but that does absolutely nothing to ease the travel of West Coast teams to the East Coast which, obviously, is the tougher trip (especially if the game is at 1PM).

Also, I believe there's some type of rule about playing on the road after a Monday Night game. It may be more of a guideline though.
If there was a rule, the NFL wouldn't have made the 49ers travel across the country to Philadelphia for a 10 am local gametime (it was changed to 1 pm, but nevertheless).

Then again, the NFL is NFC East centric.

Old
12-27-2009, 12:56 PM
Vic Rattlehead*

Quote:
Originally Posted by getty images View Post
People in Jacksonville know nothing about the franchise either.
Oh they do, but the recent problems with the economy have forced many families to set their priorities straight when it comes to spending money.

When there are attendance problems with an established franchise (Detroit), the cause is always the economy, not a lack of fan support. When a small market team has problems (in any sport), the economy is NEVER considered - it's always the fan support.

To be honest, I don't mind if the Jags move considering I live up here in Canada, but I just can't stand the double-standard when it comes to this situation.

Old
12-27-2009, 03:29 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Weren't the Rams one of the teams who were potentially looking to move again anyways?

Old
12-27-2009, 09:14 PM
Melrose Munch

Quote:
Oh they do, but the recent problems with the economy have forced many families to set their priorities straight when it comes to spending money.

When there are attendance problems with an established franchise (Detroit), the cause is always the economy, not a lack of fan support. When a small market team has problems (in any sport), the economy is NEVER considered - it's always the fan support.

To be honest, I don't mind if the Jags move considering I live up here in Canada, but I just can't stand the double-standard when it comes to this situation.
That's true. The move the team thing was around long before NHL expansion. On the other hand, Carolina and Baltimore are okay along with Kansas City, so why is Jacksonville different?

Old
12-28-2009, 05:24 AM
kingsholygrail
Member berries!

Quote:
Weren't the Rams one of the teams who were potentially looking to move again anyways?
Do not want!

Old
12-28-2009, 11:24 AM
Powerforward17

I know in the end the NFL will do whats best for the league, but I wonder if CBS/Fox will have any say on which division the LA team ends up? When the 2nd largest tv market returns to the league I'm sure they'll be lobbying for their respective conferences.

Closed Thread