HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hypothetical Situation(Hossa)

Old
05-16-2012, 07:42 AM
DayNah
Ship it donk!

vCash: 500
Hypothetical Situation(Hossa)

Alright before the sharks attack me I'm hoping this isn't the case. Say Hossa doesn't recover 100% this summer and is not ready to join the team in the fall, what does the team do? Do we take the 5+ million cap hit and go after another superstar/great player and try and sign them long term or do we just maybe pick up a guy for the year and wait to see what Hossa's status is? Or do we do nothing and just hope he gets better in time(we'll say his status is the same as it is right now in May)? Also let's pretend Bowman spends right to the cap July 1st. I know most of this is really not likely but ya never know.

DayNah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 07:50 AM
ndgt10

Parise

ndgt10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 07:55 AM
DayNah
Ship it donk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndgt10 View Post
Parise
Would be my pick too.

DayNah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 08:04 AM
xX Hot Fuss

There's no Rip Hamilton equivalent on the NHL market right now. Hossa can't be temporarily replaced.

Parise and his $7.25 cap hit would put us right up against the cap (cap hell). Any hawks fans expecting to see bowman sign Parise/Semin/Suter will be sorely dissapointed

xX Hot Fuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 08:21 AM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
Quote:
Originally Posted by xX Hot Fuss View Post
There's no Rip Hamilton equivalent on the NHL market right now. Hossa can't be temporarily replaced.

Parise and his $7.25 cap hit would put us right up against the cap (cap hell). Any hawks fans expecting to see bowman sign Parise/Semin/Suter will be sorely dissapointed
Well, they have to. So if they don't, any Hawks fan wanting Bowman and/or Q fired will be very happy to see it become a reality after another dud season. If we knew Hossa was done, yeah, get Parise. We won't know enough to make that commitment though, so I think we stick with D and go after Suter or Jackman if Suter doesn't get done. We have more NHL ready prospects up front. On D, we are thin.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 09:02 AM
Paul Allen

Quote:

The hawks were in caphell because tallin screwed up the offer sheets for versteeg and buff. And because tallin campbell wasn't worth the 7.1mil cap hit. Parise would be worth his hit. If we needed to trade away a big money contract in a few years, keith or sharp would make sense, especially if our prospects develop well. You can never have too many good players.

Paul Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 09:04 AM
coldsteelonice84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Allen View Post
The hawks were in caphell because tallin screwed up the offer sheets for versteeg and buff. And because tallin campbell wasn't worth the 7.1mil cap hit. Parise would be worth his hit. If we needed to trade away a big money contract in a few years, keith or sharp would make sense, especially if our prospects develop well. You can never have too many good players.
Agreed, it's a misnomer to think signing good players will put us cap hell.

Old
05-16-2012, 09:10 AM
xX Hot Fuss

Toews, Kane, Bolland, Leddy, Stalberg, and Hjalmarsson (maybe?) will all need new contracts by the 2014-15 season. Extensions are not possible paying Parise/Suter that kind of money

Old
05-16-2012, 09:11 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Parise won't work - b/c he's not going to be available for very long. Unless the Hawks have current information to the effect Hossa's not getting better ever, I doubt they start adding an expensive forward in early July.

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 09:11 AM
coldsteelonice84

Quote:
Toews, Kane, Bolland, Leddy, Stalberg, and Hjalmarsson (maybe?) will all need new contracts by the 2014-15 season. Extensions are not possible paying Parise/Suter that kind of money
How do you know? The cap skyrockets every offseason.

Old
05-16-2012, 09:13 AM
xX Hot Fuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
How do you know? The cap skyrockets every offseason.
So let's risk another roster meltdown by making that assumption?

Old
05-16-2012, 09:20 AM
coldsteelonice84

Quote:
So let's risk another roster meltdown by making that assumption?
No, let's sign 1 big gun. Sign Suter, if need be, trade Hammer after this coming year. That's called good asset management, get something for someone before they hit UFA since you know signing him may not be an option. Keep the better player. On top of it all, you get a LOADED D for one season and really have a great shot at the Cup.

Suter-Keith
Hjalmarsson-Seabrook
Leddy-Montador

That D is scary good. After this coming year, Leddy should be ready to move up and play with Seabrook or one of the other big 3. Olsen steps into Leddy's spot full time.

Old
05-16-2012, 09:24 AM
ndgt10

Quote:
I hope Bolland, Hammer, and Stalberg would be gone by then.

ndgt10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 09:30 AM
Paul Allen

Quote:
Bowman could sign leddy and stalberg to extensions this summer and they would be much cheaper than trying to sign them next year.

Old
05-16-2012, 09:50 AM
xX Hot Fuss

Look if one of Parise or Suter can be signed to the hawks without a total destruction of our core then I'm all for it. It's not like I don't want these guys.

I just don't foresee a situation where we can have Toews, Kane, Keith, Seabrook, Hossa, Sharp, AND Parise/Suter all having cap hits over $5.5 million and still have room to A) Keep our depth and/or B) make any necessary upgrades via trade.

I hope I'm wrong and one of these two guys does sign here and we can maintain one of the best NHL rosters of all time. Just don't see it happening IMHO

Old
05-16-2012, 09:56 AM
Paul Allen

Quote:
Look if one of Parise or Suter can be signed to the hawks without a total destruction of our core then I'm all for it. It's not like I don't want these guys.

I just don't foresee a situation where we can have Toews, Kane, Keith, Seabrook, Hossa, Sharp, AND Parise/Suter all having cap hits over $5.5 million and still have room to A) Keep our depth and/or B) make any necessary upgrades via trade.

I hope I'm wrong and one of these two guys does sign here and we can maintain one of the best NHL rosters of all time. Just don't see it happening IMHO
If we signed Parise, he would become part of the core. He'd be worth more than hossa and sharp in couple years anyway. Hossa and Sharp wouldn't all of a sudden become garbage but Parise is younger and a 40g scorer.

Add the fact that bowman is stocking the farm with prospects that should be able to come in and fill bottom 6 roles like we had in 2010. The dropoff in talent wasn't that we had to trade ladd, buff, and versteeg, but that we had no prospects ready to take their place.

Old
05-16-2012, 10:04 AM
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion

vCash: 1625
I would trade Sharp to have Suter or Parise.

MurrayBannerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 10:05 AM
Paul Allen

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayBannerman View Post
I would trade Sharp to have Suter or Parise.
definitely

Old
05-16-2012, 10:47 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Quote:
Leddy won't get 4+
Hjammer doesn't deserve a raise
Toews & Kane won't get more than 2 million more each
Bolland will not get more than 1 million raise
Stalberg will be gone if we get Parise

as for the question. If we know for sure that Hossa will miss the complete next season or until the TD, Bowman should try to get Parise for sure.

Getting Cap Space with guys like Monty or Frolik (or even Hjammer) on the Roster is not that hard.

Add Parise if possible, do what the Flyers did. Fill your need and take care of the Cap later.

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 12:07 PM
Marotte Marauder

IF Hossa doesn't look like he can recover, this summer or ever... have him retire, pay him with the proceeds from insurance, remove his salary off the cap hit and sign Suter and Parise.

Win-win. Costs Rocky minimal if anything out of pocket, Hossa gets to keep his brain intact and the team improves.

Marotte Marauder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 10:31 AM
hawksfan50

Questions Re: Hossa:

1. Despite the facts reported that he is making progress--indicating he will try to be ready for the start of the season and not retire---the progress may not be emough to get him ready for the first game --fans may need to wait longer --so maybe he is not given total clearance for 2-3 more months after the season starts?

Does this mean haksfans HOPE for a CBA standstill and a delayed season ?

2. When Hossa gets back,willhe be the same player --or even softer and more hesitant given his mind mush?
(we can also muse on whether Toews will ever be the ame player again)....concussions can effect players to lose the edge they once had and never get it back...

My point is--don't count on everything going back to "normal" ...

hawksfan50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 10:45 AM
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion

vCash: 1625
No, if you're hoping for a lockout, you can get the **** out of here.

MurrayBannerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 04:40 PM
H a w k s

If says he's retiring. That's the only way you go after Parise.

H a w k s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 04:43 PM
H a w k s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
Leddy won't get 4+
Hjammer doesn't deserve a raise
Toews & Kane won't get more than 2 million more each
Bolland will not get more than 1 million raise
Stalberg will be gone if we get Parise

as for the question. If we know for sure that Hossa will miss the complete next season or until the TD, Bowman should try to get Parise for sure.

Getting Cap Space with guys like Monty or Frolik (or even Hjammer) on the Roster is not that hard.

Add Parise if possible, do what the Flyers did. Fill your need and take care of the Cap later.

Disagree on Leddy, also on Toews and Kane, Also Bolland who very might be gone if guys like McNeill and Danault are ready. Stalberg is probably gone anyway (time to sell on him)

H a w k s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 05:20 PM
madgoat33

yea lets sell stalberg, the 20 ES goal, 40 ES pt player on a sub 1mil contract when we don't have anyone who can step in for him yet. Wasn't aware we were in rebuild mode.

madgoat33 is offline   Reply With Quote