They're the only team I've seen that deliberately begins the game in a shell and then tries to score opportunistically later.
Originally Posted by MadDevil
And somehow it works.
It's virtually impossible to score on them.
1) You cant get high-quality shots
2) 1/3 to 1/2 of your shots never even get to Lundqvist
3) You're left with simple point shots, bad angles, and easy saves
4) You get MAYBE 3-5 legitimate scoring opportunities per game
5) If all else fails, Lundqvist is a top-5 goalie in the game
The reason they win so many 2-1 games is because they've created a defensive scheme in which it's nearly impossible to score on. Part of this scheme, is that they barely try to score, because offensive effort increases risk.
Nowhere is this more obvious than on the Rangers powerplay, which is among the least aggressive I've ever seen. I actually dont think it would be a poor idea if the Devils take more chances while shorthanded and try to catch the Rangers by surprise.