Closed Thread

Old
06-12-2012, 07:14 PM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
He said Dallas offered the NTC .. he didn't really care ... it didn't matter to him because if they don't want him here (they start shopping him around) it's not like he'd want to stay.
Which is pretty much what I've said all along about Morrow and his NTC. Players (almost as if they're actual humans) generally don't like to stay where they're not wanted.

Old
06-12-2012, 10:06 PM
Rune Forumwalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
I don't care if it's full or not, if he's not gonna use it...
If he's not going to use it, then it doesn't matter if he has it or not. So in this case, you can give management a pass for handing out a ton of NTC's.

Old
06-12-2012, 10:16 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator
So it goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune Forumwalker View Post
If he's not going to use it, then it doesn't matter if he has it or not. So in this case, you can give management a pass for handing out a ton of NTC's.
Actually, it does, as IIRC, we can only give out so many.

Old
06-12-2012, 11:02 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

Need to get rid of NTC's. I'm sorry, but no player is untouchable or unable to be traded. It cripples teams, and makes the league less exciting with fewer trades. These guys need to remember who actually pays the bills. Fans. Fans want to see big trades.

Old
06-12-2012, 11:09 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cin View Post
Need to get rid of NTC's. I'm sorry, but no player is untouchable or unable to be traded. It cripples teams, and makes the league less exciting with fewer trades. These guys need to remember who actually pays the bills. Fans. Fans want to see big trades.
I think the NHL needs to reduce the overall prevalence of NTCs. Perhaps make a year to year set of "franchise" slots. Say... 3. You play awesome, you get the luxury of not having to worry about moving over the summer.

Old
06-12-2012, 11:13 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator
So it goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Failure View Post
I think the NHL needs to reduce the overall prevalence of NTCs. Perhaps make a year to year set of "franchise" slots. Say... 3. You play awesome, you get the luxury of not having to worry about moving over the summer.
I dunno. I don't really want to do what the NFL does, but that sounds like a decent idea.

Old
06-13-2012, 02:36 PM
TrillMike

Hey guys, I didn't want to start a new thread for this, just want your opinions. The Stars have been my favorite team in all sports since I became sports conscious in 96. Before I ask this question, realize that I love the Stars and Ribs. Does anyone agree with me that in order to get a better, more contemporary offense, Ribs has to go?

His elusive style of play can create some sick highlight reel goals, but more often than not it just slows down the rush and creates a less than stellar scoring opportunity. While I believe Ribs is a great PP guy (setting it up and making world class passes), I don't think his game transitions into what a current/future NHL offense does.

Old
06-13-2012, 02:44 PM
piqued

vCash: 3722
I don't necessarily agree. I think you've got it backwards a bit. Ribs is more effective at even strength than he is on the PP. And if anything the game in general is slowing down, not speeding up. Then again Ribs himself has slowed down even more than usual lately. Part of that was probably the knee injury he was playing through though.

At the same time, if they can get reasonable value for him it might be time to move on as long as it's part of a larger shake-up that also sees the departure of most of Morrow/Ott/Robidas. Trading Ribs (the most effective of the veterans) and then sitting back and saying "Look, we made changes!" isn't going to cut it.

Old
06-13-2012, 02:49 PM
Alistar

Ribeiro has elite level possession skills, when he's got the puck he can shake defenders off and diffuse pressure by making one of those passes through the seams that we all love so much. The problem is that he's terrible without the puck, last year was particularly bad for him.. I think the Stars need to transition him to a very selective offensive role like the Sedins fill in Vancouver. Get him and his linemates out there as often as possible in the attacking zone or against the other team's worst players or the odd time we can trap a team in it's end and get a linechange in.

**of course the flipside to that strategy is that you need guys to take the tough minutes and hold up against the best the opposition can offer.. we didn't get that last year with our "checking" line and the results were poor. If the Stars can't improve their roster to make optimal use of the Ribeiro line then they are definetely better off shipping them out and bringing in some of the more conventional two way play in all situations type players.

Old
06-13-2012, 03:15 PM
TrillMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
I don't necessarily agree. I think you've got it backwards a bit. Ribs is more effective at even strength than he is on the PP. And if anything the game in general is slowing down, not speeding up. Then again Ribs himself has slowed down even more than usual lately. Part of that was probably the knee injury he was playing through though.

At the same time, if they can get reasonable value for him it might be time to move on as long as it's part of a larger shake-up that also sees the departure of most of Morrow/Ott/Robidas. Trading Ribs (the most effective of the veterans) and then sitting back and saying "Look, we made changes!" isn't going to cut it.
I don't think I worded what I was trying to say the right way. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm tired of his constant "slowing it down on the rush." (Like when it's a 3-on-2 or any odd man rush, and him slowing down up top trying to set something up rather than maintaining momentum and going for a rebound or quick one-timer. It's not that it's "slow," but it's not "quick" and it allows the other team to get back and defend). I hope that makes sense.

I completely agree with you about the guys around him. I probably would not feel this way if Ribs wasn't our top center (let's exclude Benn).

When I said the thing about the PP, I forgot about how insanely frustrating he can be holding the puck too long. (But maybe that goes back to who's out there with him). It already feels like a long off season for us Stars fans. I've already forgot about some stuff that bugged me over the past season.

If that proposal from Caps/Hawks fans yesterday is slightly realistic I hope GMJN pulls the trigger.

Old
06-13-2012, 04:54 PM
Alistar

one thing is that we know that Dallas is trying to add 2 top 6 forwards, and with the UFA crop the way it is I have a hard time seeing them moving out one of the ones we already have, because obviously that would leave us looking for 3.

Old
06-13-2012, 05:03 PM
MetalGodAOD*
Star Rangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistar View Post
Ribeiro has elite level possession skills, when he's got the puck he can shake defenders off and diffuse pressure by making one of those passes through the seams that we all love so much. The problem is that he's terrible without the puck, last year was particularly bad for him.. I think the Stars need to transition him to a very selective offensive role like the Sedins fill in Vancouver. Get him and his linemates out there as often as possible in the attacking zone or against the other team's worst players or the odd time we can trap a team in it's end and get a linechange in.

**of course the flipside to that strategy is that you need guys to take the tough minutes and hold up against the best the opposition can offer.. we didn't get that last year with our "checking" line and the results were poor. If the Stars can't improve their roster to make optimal use of the Ribeiro line then they are definetely better off shipping them out and bringing in some of the more conventional two way play in all situations type players.
Right, there's nothing wrong with this strategy, but it requires having a real 3rd line for defensive matchups.

Old
06-13-2012, 05:39 PM
Dallasman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistar View Post
one thing is that we know that Dallas is trying to add 2 top 6 forwards, and with the UFA crop the way it is I have a hard time seeing them moving out one of the ones we already have, because obviously that would leave us looking for 3.
So Morrow is pretty much all we have to trade is what you're saying?

Ott has a little value too and he was apparently heavily targeted by two teams at the trade deadline but is he Top 6? Debatable. On this team he has to be.

Ribs is the only one with real value who would get you a decent return on any trade you make. He's Top 6 material all the way, that's for sure.

Old
06-13-2012, 05:42 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator
So it goes.

If this season proved one thing, it's that Ott is not top 6 material. At least not permanently.

Old
06-13-2012, 05:47 PM
Hull Fan
trou du cul rapide

Even if you trade for an NHL ready top six guy that doesn't mean he's going to put up 50+ points in his first season. This team has two holes and maybe a 3rd if you move Ribeiro. Part of going younger means you're going to struggle but at this point I'd rather struggle with young new guy and say Vincour/Fraser/Glennie than see Ott once again in a top six role. I know what Steve is going to bring but I don't know for sure what one of these other three will.

Far better to try something different and fall on our faces than trot out the same and expect different results this year.

Old
06-13-2012, 06:59 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator
So it goes.

Slater and Kelly both resigned already.

Honestly wouldn't be surprised to see Stoll push for ~4M now if the market's there. Coming off of a great playoff run for him, and he's really the only good 3rd liner on the market now. I want him on this team but not at anything over 3.5M per.

Old
06-13-2012, 09:14 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
Slater and Kelly both resigned already.

Honestly wouldn't be surprised to see Stoll push for ~4M now if the market's there. Coming off of a great playoff run for him, and he's really the only good 3rd liner on the market now. I want him on this team but not at anything over 3.5M per.
And Slater got Fiddler money. I think that's fairly indicative of the fact that they're both good 4th liners.

Old
06-13-2012, 11:20 PM
SonicSpeedDash
All bets are off

I just saw the NHL rejected Chris Kelly's contract. Cap issues for the Bruins or something.

Last edited by SonicSpeedDash: 06-13-2012 at 11:26 PM.
Old
06-13-2012, 11:26 PM
MetalGodAOD*
Star Rangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicSpeed View Post
I just saw the NHL rejected Chris Kelly's contract. Cap issues for the Bruins or something.
It'll be fine July 1st.

Old
06-13-2012, 11:27 PM
SonicSpeedDash
All bets are off

Well had the thought of them dumping salary could open the door for Spooner.

Old
06-14-2012, 09:04 PM
BigG44

This is a pretty popular opinion lately:

Quote:
Jimmy Murphy ‏@MurphysLaw74

I have a strong feeling that there will be a good amount of trading leading into and at the NHL draft.

Old
06-14-2012, 11:18 PM
Hull Fan
trou du cul rapide

As long as Dallas is part of that trading I'll be happy. Sitting on their hands again at this draft would piss me off.

Old
06-15-2012, 02:39 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Andy Strickland reports on Twitter...

Quote:
@andystrickland Told Sheldon Souray has rejected a one year offer believed to be worth $3 million from the Dallas #stars

Old
06-15-2012, 02:40 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

I'd assume he wants 2 years... not gonna happen Studly.

Old
06-15-2012, 02:49 PM
piqued

vCash: 3722
Hopefully that means he's gone... wouldn't have been happy with that contract.

Closed Thread