Notices

2012 Offseason Thread II: The Offseasoning

Closed Thread

Old
06-23-2012, 03:59 AM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

vCash: 500
Let's just hope the cap goes down to like $50 million and every major player has to scramble to unload a big contract

Old
06-23-2012, 07:07 PM
________

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to ________ Send a message via MSN to ________
Link

Is Ott next?
Mike Ribeiro was shipped out Friday by the Dallas Stars and now we wait and see if the same will happen to Steve Ott as the club tries to reshape its core a little and get younger.

A source told ESPN.com that Ott is getting plenty of interest, just as he did before the trade deadline.

Maybe it’s just me, but Ott’s size and versatility as a second- or third-line winger would be just what the Montreal Canadiens need. He’s be a perfect fit for a team lacking toughness and size.

Old
06-23-2012, 07:11 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

Morrow before Ott please. If we move Ott we can say goodbye to any chance of a real checking line next year as well.

Old
06-23-2012, 07:15 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Robidas as well.

Ott was the only one of the 4 I think you can actually fit into your plans for the future, and he's young enough to still be contributing by the time we're contending.

Old
06-23-2012, 07:19 PM
StarsCaptainOU

I'd like to see Morrow and Robidas moved before Ott. I'm not against all of them being moved but I'd rather keep him over the other two.

Old
06-23-2012, 08:51 PM
Ogi1Kenobi

Ott over Morrow.

Old
06-23-2012, 09:37 PM
Alistar

I'm not sure I understand why people are so hard set against Olli Jokinen here. From what I can tell most of the problem with the public perception is that people thought he would be this great force for Calgary playing with Jarome Iginla and that never happened, but the guy is a very solid 2nd line center. He's averaged 55 points over the last 4 years while playing very tough defensive minutes.

I guess the concern is that Dallas would overspend on him? I would think that 4 mill per season would get it done given what Jarett Stoll just signed for in Los Angeles...

Old
06-23-2012, 10:08 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistar View Post
I'm not sure I understand why people are so hard set against Olli Jokinen here. From what I can tell most of the problem with the public perception is that people thought he would be this great force for Calgary playing with Jarome Iginla and that never happened, but the guy is a very solid 2nd line center. He's averaged 55 points over the last 4 years while playing very tough defensive minutes.

I guess the concern is that Dallas would overspend on him? I would think that 4 mill per season would get it done given what Jarett Stoll just signed for in Los Angeles...
I wouldn't mind him at all.

I think people feeling trepidatious is pretty normal. While our future looks better, our roster next season as of now looks abysmal and has huge question marks. But let's wait until mid July before judging how this team looks.

I will say I feel eventually that Joe is going to have to make a big play move to get high end talent, even if it means sacrificing prospects and a 1st. A deal like Carolina or LA made for example. Both of those teams obviously had more depth in their prospect pool than us obviously, due to years of low finishes. But they eventually were able to make big moves once they were able to because of the assets they acquired. Due to years of #9-10 finishes, we're not there yet. But within a year or two, we might seriously need to make a big play. I'm not sure if Joe has shown he can do that without getting fleeced yet.

I'll say it again, I really wish we had gone into full rebuild mode in '10. There's no doubt we're a rebuilding team right now. Finishing with a top draft pick the past 2 years, and poor performances forcing management to move Ribs/Richards/Morrow for better returns a while ago would have sped this up considerably. Now we finally have a real owner but are just starting to rebuild.

Old
06-23-2012, 10:31 PM
Hull Fan
trou du cul rapide

I don't have a problem with Jokinen himself. It's more he's a short term asset that is not part of the core you're trying to build. If I had my choice Jokinen or bust then yeah bring on Olli but if JN can nab Spooner, Anisimov, Loktionov, or someone similar I'd rather try playing the young guy to see if he can be the center you're looking for.

Eakin is going to get that opportunity. JN appears to be banking on him being more 2C than 3C but we need more than him because Faska is no sure thing. If we can get that young center and surround him with good wingers they'll produce and it's way easier to find Ryders than it is to find the other.

Old
06-24-2012, 12:25 AM
Hull Fan
trou du cul rapide

A couple of names I left off of potential trade targets could be Luke Adam or Tyler Ennis. Both are natural centers in a now crowded depth chart in Buffalo. Depending on what the Sabres do with Grigorenko not to mention Roy one of these two guys could be available.

Adam shuffled back and forth with Buffalo and Rochester and absolutely tore up the AHL with 29 goals and 33 assists in 57 games. He was also productive in their AHL playoffs.

I can't imagine he'd be that cheap but he's also unproven and in a deep que on his current team so maybe a swap of Adam for one of our winger prospects could help both teams.

Old
06-24-2012, 12:26 AM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Can't see them trading Ennis, but who knows with Grigs, Hodgson, and Girgs.

Adam makes a lot more sense for them.

Old
06-24-2012, 12:52 AM
Hull Fan
trou du cul rapide

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
Can't see them trading Ennis, but who knows with Grigs, Hodgson, and Girgs.

Adam makes a lot more sense for them.
I'm not a huge Ennis fan and would prefer Adam. One of their posters suggested Adam and a 2013 2nd for Ott. I would hope Joe would jump all over such an offer.

Old
06-24-2012, 12:54 AM
Mr Misty
The Irons Are Back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistar View Post

He will be looking for his last big contract, and it will all count against the cap whether he plays through the end or retires. 4m might be ok, but not for 4 or 5 years.

Old
06-24-2012, 12:56 AM
SonicSpeedDash
20% Cooler

I'd do Ott and a 2013 2nd for Adams.

Old
06-24-2012, 01:07 AM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

Anyone know why Buffalo fans are so down on Adam?

Old
06-24-2012, 01:30 AM
Mr Misty
The Irons Are Back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnholyPrince View Post
IIRC correctly he went from decent young NHLer to fringe AHLer last year.

Old
06-24-2012, 01:37 AM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

I should be GM. I'm absolutely tearing up our haxball league and the season hasn't even started. So many robberies.

If we could get Ennis, do it. He's a legit top 6 upside guy who can slot in now, and I love his game.

Old
06-24-2012, 11:30 AM
Hull Fan
trou du cul rapide

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnholyPrince View Post
I'm not sure it's down but now they've got Grigorenko, Hodgson, Ennis, Roy, and Adam.

If he's best at center but Ennis is better than him don't you deal the odd man out to fill another hole? Ott would help their checking line but Adam is no fringe AHLer. Yeah he yo-yoed but hell so did Erkisson before he found his groove. All he's done is score, score, and help others score. He's a legit 2nd line center who can produce if given ice time with decent line mates. If he's on a line with Eriksson and Benn he'll be just fine. Ryder and whoever would be okay to.

Old
06-24-2012, 09:56 PM
Dallasman

I'd rather trade Ott, who actually has some value if you are wanting to reshape the core. Morrow won't get you jack-squat with his injuries and crappy play over the past few seasons. Robidas three-four years ago would have been a good trade chip but he isn't what he used to be in the eyes of many.

Ott before Morrow before Robidas. Ott gets your the most value so if you want to make a fresh start you trade him first and then let Morrow play this season and see how it goes. If he is healthy and is having a good season AND we are not in playoff contention, ship him out.

Just my .02 cents.

Old
06-24-2012, 10:28 PM
glovesave_35
Name

^^ I'm starting to think that's what will happen. I think Nieuwendyk may feel like Morrow has bounce-back potential this year and that if he does he will be a better option than whatever we could have gotten for him.

Old
06-25-2012, 12:01 AM
BigG44

Bob Sturm was just on with Newy Scruggs on NBC 5. He said this team doesn't have a Top 6 center now.

Apparently he's also under the impression that Jamie Benn won't be playing center next year. I sort of thought there was a chance they'd change course at least for now rather than trying to find 2 more centers (only have Eakin and Fiddler). That still could happen.

Sturm also said it's great that the Stars have $30 million in cap space, and he doesn't want to be patient. On the other hand, he thinks the right thing for them to do is hold steady and grow from within at this point.

One option could be they bring back Wandell now so they only need 1 more center. Although, I hate that it likely means Fiddler is 3rd line center again. He was overwhelmed in that role last year ... no reason to think he can handle it again. I've been trying to keep Nystrom and Fiddler on the 4th line in my mind, but I guess that probably needs to change.

Eriksson-?-Ryder
Benn-Eakin-?
Nystrom-Fiddler-Vincour
Morrow-Wandell-Sceviour
Garbutt

Goligoski-Robidas
Dillon-Daley
Fistric-Larsen

Lehtonen
Bachman

It makes a ton mores sense just to roll with Benn at center on the first line even if it's only one more year. We'll see I guess, but IDK.

EDIT: Oops ... I traded Ott in my mind or just forgot about him. I'll just leave him off for now since he's likely gone. Hopefully somehow they figure out a way to turn him into a piece for one of the Top 6 holes.

Old
06-25-2012, 12:11 AM
Mr Misty
The Irons Are Back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallasman View Post
I'd rather trade Ott, who actually has some value if you are wanting to reshape the core. Morrow won't get you jack-squat with his injuries and crappy play over the past few seasons. Robidas three-four years ago would have been a good trade chip but he isn't what he used to be in the eyes of many.

Ott before Morrow before Robidas. Ott gets your the most value so if you want to make a fresh start you trade him first and then let Morrow play this season and see how it goes. If he is healthy and is having a good season AND we are not in playoff contention, ship him out.

Just my .02 cents.
Just a reminder he had a career high 33 goals in 10-11. Last year was bad, but he hasn't been on a steady decline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
Bob Sturm was just on with Newy Scruggs on NBC 5. He said this team doesn't have a Top 6 center now.

Apparently he's also under the impression that Jamie Benn won't be playing center next year. I sort of thought there was a chance they'd change course at least for now rather than trying to find 2 more centers (only have Eakin and Fiddler). That still could happen.

Sturm also said it's great that the Stars have $30 million in cap space, and he doesn't want to be patient. On the other hand, he thinks the right thing for them to do is hold steady and grow from within at this point.

One option could be they bring back Wandell now so they only need 1 more center. Although, I hate that it likely means Fiddler is 3rd line center again. He was overwhelmed in that role last year ... no reason to think he can handle it again. I've been trying to keep Nystrom and Fiddler on the 4th line in my mind, but I guess that probably needs to change.

Eriksson-?-Ryder
Benn-Eakin-?
Nystrom-Fiddler-Vincour
Morrow-Wandell-Sceviour
Garbutt

Goligoski-Robidas
Dillon-Daley
Fistric-Larsen

Lehtonen
Bachman

It makes a ton mores sense just to roll with Benn at center on the first line even if it's only one more year. We'll see I guess, but IDK.

EDIT: Oops ... I traded Ott in my mind or just forgot about him. I'll just leave him off for now since he's likely gone. Hopefully somehow they figure out a way to turn him into a piece for one of the Top 6 holes.
That lineup fills me with dread. I really hope the Ribeiro trade can put to bed this nonsense about Benn being a winger.

Old
06-25-2012, 12:19 AM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Misty View Post
That lineup fills me with dread. I really hope the Ribeiro trade can put to bed this nonsense about Benn being a winger.
I'm fine with that lineup. Flat out suck and get Jones, exactly what we need.

Old
06-25-2012, 12:31 AM
ReverendAlBundy
Loungetown mortician

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
I'm fine with that lineup. Flat out suck and get Jones, exactly what we need.
Oleksiak-Jones
Larsen-Nemeth
Dillon-fistric/klingberg

Dear god.

Old
06-25-2012, 12:41 AM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
Some of you guys put way more stock in what Bob Sturm has to say about hockey than I'm willing to. He must've taken a break from breaking down the Cowboys' nickel defense to grace us with his hockey knowledge on this occasion.

Let's just hope he's just talking out his ass like he does from time to time and not from some sort of insider knowledge.

Closed Thread