Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 Offseason Thread II: The Offseasoning

Closed Thread

Old
06-24-2012, 11:47 PM
BigG44

vCash: 475
I was just thinking it's much more fun thinking about 2013's roster (like HullFan did ... but even with just current Dallas assets) than this one, especially if you think there's a chance Faksa could make the jump.

Eriksson-Faksa-Benn
Fraser-Eakin-Chiasson
R. Smith-Glennie-Vincour
Garbutt-Fiddler-Sceviour

Goligoski-Nemeth
Dillon-Daley
Oleksiak-Larsen

Old
06-24-2012, 11:59 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

vCash: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
Some of you guys put way more stock in what Bob Sturm has to say about hockey than I'm willing to. He must've taken a break from breaking down the Cowboys' nickel defense to grace us with his hockey knowledge on this occasion.

Let's just hope he's just talking out his ass like he does from time to time and not from some sort of insider knowledge.
I kind of have to agree. I like Sturm but he doesn't have insider knowledge. He just is a fan of the sport and makes conjectures like the rest of us.

I'm sure they'll try to acquire 2 top 6 Centers this summer, but I think they know that's unlikely. I don't believe they really are deadset on Benn being a Winger again, but they are deadset on having that flexibility. I believe someone in the organization (I could be wrong) was quoted saying Benn's position gives them the ability to find either 2 top 6 Centers or 1 and a Winger. If they can get say Roy and Adam I'm sure they'd rather run that lineup with Benn on LW than say Benn/Roy with Ott as a top 6 winger again. He just gives them options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
I was just thinking it's much more fun thinking about 2013's roster (like HullFan did ... but even with just current Dallas assets) than this one, especially if you think there's a chance Faksa could make the jump.

Eriksson-Faksa-Benn
Fraser-Eakin-Chiasson
R. Smith-Glennie-Vincour
Garbutt-Fiddler-Sceviour

Goligoski-Nemeth
Dillon-Daley
Oleksiak-Larsen
Only way that happens is if they remove the salary floor haha. That'd be amazing to have a team with only 5-6 non-ELC contracts though.

Old
06-25-2012, 12:52 AM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
^^ I have a feeling Roy is the guy. He's coming off a tough year but plays a similar style to Ribeiro without the infamous extended shifts AFAIK. Seems a good facsimile of the positives Ribs brought and he only has the one year left on his deal as well I think. Now, if we could swindle Montreal out of Plekanec I would be one happy guy.

Old
06-25-2012, 09:57 AM
Troy McClure

vCash: 500
Quote:
Some of you guys put way more stock in what Bob Sturm has to say about hockey than I'm willing to. He must've taken a break from breaking down the Cowboys' nickel defense to grace us with his hockey knowledge on this occasion.

Let's just hope he's just talking out his ass like he does from time to time and not from some sort of insider knowledge.
But is he wrong? The Stars now have a gaping hole at center on the top two lines and a converted winger playing center who can't take his own faceoffs.

Old
06-25-2012, 10:13 AM
Mr Misty
The Irons Are Back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy McClure View Post
But is he wrong? The Stars now have a gaping hole at center on the top two lines and a converted winger playing center who can't take his own faceoffs.
I am cautiously optimistic that Benn's current faceoff ability can be improved with experience/practice.

Old
06-25-2012, 10:23 AM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy McClure View Post
Yes. Ribeiro was unquestionably "a center" despite his lack of faceoff prowess. Benn and he are virtually identical in that regard and Benn happens to be better without the puck than Ribeiro was so all things considered Benn is a better center than Ribeiro. Nobody was clamoring for Ribs to be a winger. This talk of moving Benn back to wing is ridiculous and obviously so to anyone who watched him play after the drop of the puck. So what if he doesn't win more than 50% (yet). It's not optimal but we're not exactly dealing with optimal circumstances here anyways. Benn isn't the only decent center in the league with a sub .500 faceoff %.

Old
06-25-2012, 10:31 AM
BigG44

Quote:
Yes. Ribeiro was unquestionably "a center" despite his lack of faceoff prowess. Benn and he are virtually identical in that regard and Benn happens to be better without the puck than Ribeiro was so all things considered Benn is a better center than Ribeiro. Nobody was clamoring for Ribs to be a winger. This talk of moving Benn back to wing is ridiculous and obviously so to anyone who watched him play after the drop of the puck. So what if he doesn't win more than 50% (yet). It's not optimal but we're not exactly dealing with optimal circumstances here anyways. Benn isn't the only decent center in the league with a sub .500 faceoff %.
Then your entire front office and head coach are ridiculous ... and there's a major issue.

Or more likely ... it's ridiculous as causal fans to make statements like that.

Benn isn't neutered at wing, and acting like it's a crime against nature seems pretty silly. Sure I agree as a casual observer, which is all anyone on here is, it makes sense to keep rolling with Benn at center. There could be a good chance that happens with Ribs gone, but it's speculation at this point.

You thinking the team is ridiculous for moving in that direction isn't going to stop it.

Old
06-25-2012, 10:35 AM
BigG44

Free agency has started for Justin Schultz btw. He can talk to anyone now, but he can't officially sign until July 1st.

Old
06-25-2012, 11:20 AM
BigG44

Lebrun tweeted essentially the same information about his previous story about Ott, but he added that Dallas is again prepared to hold on to him if they don't get what they want.

In the weekend wrap up from Hockey's Future I thought it was interesting they mentioned moving Ribeiro was a sign of a "full rebuild" for Dallas. I paused for a second, but they are probably right it's not far off. The only other assets they have to sell in a full rebuild will be Ott, Morrow, Robidas, and Lehtonen at this point. Assuming Eakin does take a place in the Top 6, Dallas could fill the remaining 2 spots with one-year, veteran players as well.

That way, the prospects stay in the AHL for now, and Dallas could prepare for a major sell off at the deadline. That's likely a bold prediction since it hasn't happened before, but if you wanted to look at the glass half full, GMJN could have been hesitant to sell assets in the past since he knew with his limited resources and Dallas' weak prospect depth, he'd be unable to replace the players he sold off. Now, with a new owner and more importantly a group of prospects that should be prepared to contribute in 2013-14, he can confidently move all of his assets at the trade deadline in a full rebuild while feeling he can safely replace them. Again trying to be optimistic, he probably wasn't confident or at least didn't want to rush guys like the Smith's, Chiasson, and Glennie to the NHL this season which is why the full rebuild theoretically didn't begin until now.

It's a long shot that will ever happen, but the article at least made me consider it.

Old
06-25-2012, 11:22 AM
BigG44

I missed the beginning, but GMJN is on with Norm on the Ticket.

Old
06-25-2012, 11:23 AM
BigG44

Thankfully ..... GMJN confirms Jamie Benn will now stay at center. He says Ryder should have no fall off moving from playing with Ribs to playing with Benn.

Old
06-25-2012, 11:24 AM
BigG44

Sounds like a first line of Eriksson-Benn-Ryder to me. Need to find some wingers for Eakin unless you're hoping to let some young wingers make the jump.

Old
06-25-2012, 11:25 AM
BigG44

Is Ribs trade a sign of moving on from other veterans?

GMJN: I don't think so.

Old
06-25-2012, 11:51 AM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

vCash: 1495
Quote:

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Old
06-25-2012, 12:02 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

vCash: 157
Quote:

Old
06-25-2012, 12:34 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

I don't mind keeping Morrow for this year. Robidas is the only "veteran" I really think they should move (Because he's blocking young defensemen like Dillon or Oleksiak)

Old
06-25-2012, 12:45 PM
BeaverSports

I always liked Morrow and a lot of the times I found myself criticizing Morrow were times when I thought both he and Ribeiro were making mistakes together. Perhaps Nieuwendyk is banking on that change of scenery on a new line energizing Morrow. I still think the Stars need to bring in some proven offensive talent, but I'm not opposed to seeing if Morrow can be part of that solution.

Old
06-25-2012, 01:41 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

vCash: 2111
Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
Vincour - Benn - Ryder
Eriksson - Eakin/x - Glennie/Fraser?/x
Ott - x/Eakin - x/Glennie
Morrow - Fiddler - Nystrom
Garbutt

Dillon - Larsen
x - Goligoski
Daley-Robidas
Pardy

Lehtonen
Bachman

Possible options: Backlund & Bouwmeester, Stajan, one of Ottawa's young centers like O'Brien or Da Costa, Matt Lombardi, Olli Jokinen, Gui Latendresse, Michal Handzus, Loktionov, Anisimov, Wade (LOL) Redden, Doan, Brad Boyes, Langenbrunner I guess..., Stempniak, Moss, Sneaky Steve, Dominic Moore, McClement? There is literally **** all out there this year and next on the market. Honestly better to just bring up some kids and throw 'em in there, but we still have to make the floor... I think we'll eat one expensive UFA or salary dump.

Old
06-25-2012, 02:13 PM
Hull Fan
Czech Stop

Quote:

Without a deal in place I don't think he can say yes we're having a firesale. Doesn't mean they won't trade someone or will, just means he's not going to say yes everyone over 28 must go.

Old
06-25-2012, 02:15 PM
Famous Flames

Part of the problem with a rebuild is you're also starting from scratch with the farm system. You probably have a few players in there you could keep long term, but they'll start getting replaced pretty quickly with top 10 picks plus other first rounders acquired in trades.

Also, if the team is going to rebuild, they need to trade everyone. With a total rebuild, even a guy like Eriksson would be too old once the team's window opens in 6 or more years. Benn you could keep, but I wouldn't expect to keep him when he's a UFA.

Old
06-25-2012, 02:19 PM
lance78

What about Paul Stastny? The Avs just signed Duchene to a 2 year deal and Ryan O'Reilly is a 21 year old RFA that really showed promise last year. He has been in rumors for a couple of years, (mostly to the TML) even his dad stirred up junk in the media last year about him being traded.

He has 2 years remaining on a 6.6 million contract. He is only 26, which would seem to fit in to Dallas' core group age. He wouldn't have to be a long term commitment with only 2 years, or he could be re-signed if he fit well. Per CapGeek, he does not have a no-trade clause.

What do you think it would take to get him? Do you think he could be a fit?

Old
06-25-2012, 02:36 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

For a team needing cap hits as badly as Colorado, I don't see him being traded without the same or more cap going the other way. Seems like both of us are gonna struggle to even hit the floor.

I wouldn't mind him, though, if we could acquire him.

Old
06-25-2012, 02:48 PM
BigG44

So with Wandell QO, is Dallas set at center going into season?

Benn, Eakin, Wandell, and Fiddler?

Eriksson-Benn-Ryder
?-Eakin-?
Ott-Wandell-Vincour
Morrow-Fiddler-Nystrom
Garbutt

Old
06-25-2012, 02:52 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
So with Wandell QO, is Dallas set at center going into season?

Benn, Eakin, Wandell, and Fiddler?

Eriksson-Benn-Ryder
?-Eakin-?
Ott-Wandell-Vincour
Morrow-Fiddler-Nystrom
Garbutt
I hope not. Then again, that's looking pretty good for a lottery pick...

Old
06-25-2012, 02:54 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

vCash: 2111
Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
The only problem with that is Wandell, honestly.

I don't like the idea of stacking the top line with Eriksson-Benn-Ryder when Eriksson seems capable of carrying a chunk of a line's offense given that he gets talented linemates, who may not be 70 point guys, but are still good for 50+.

Closed Thread