Closed Thread

Old
06-27-2012, 02:54 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

vCash: 1495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallasman View Post
Yup...along with 25 other teams in the NHL.

He's coming to Canada by all accounts...if the media in Canada is to be believed
If the Canadian media was to be believed, every single player in the NHL would already be on an Canadian team since no one would ever want to play for a team not from Canada.

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Old
06-27-2012, 02:54 PM
Hull Fan
Czech Stop

vCash: 500
He probably won't chose here but good on Joe for trying. He'd be given all the time and opportunities he needs though. Don't expect Shultz but damn do I hope he spells the end of Robidas in Dallas.

Old
06-27-2012, 02:58 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

vCash: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaallMunson18 View Post
I wonder what kind of contract he will demand though. My original thought was he was 37yo, give him 3 years at 4.5-5, but seeing that he's 40 coming off a 77 point year, I can't even come up with an idea for a contract (besides something no more than 2 years).
Lots of performance bonusus.

Whitney's a stud. I'd go for him. Always been one of my favorite players.

Old
06-27-2012, 02:58 PM
Troy McClure

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaallMunson18 View Post
What are people's view on going after Ray Whitney?

edit: crap, thought he was a few years younger than 40...
Whitney is a magical 40. Like Selanne, Robitaille, or Mike Gartner, he's one of those ageless players with a style that seems to let them produce well past when other players become useless.

Old
06-27-2012, 03:00 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
shift

vCash: 27750
I'd much rather have Whitney than Doan. That's one of the few instances where I wouldn't be opposed to a stop-gap.

Old
06-27-2012, 03:00 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

vCash: 1495
Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
I'd much rather have Whitney than Doan.
2nd this.

Old
06-27-2012, 03:01 PM
Dallasman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars99Lobo37 View Post
If the Canadian media was to be believed, every single player in the NHL would already be on an Canadian team since no one would ever want to play for a team not from Canada.
That's mainly Toronto but I know what you mean.

Not everyone wants to play with Edmonton...

Old
06-27-2012, 05:27 PM
TrillMike

God it would be awesome if Joe pulled Shultz out of his hat for us.

Old
06-27-2012, 05:38 PM
Hegemon21

I read somewhere that he would like to play with his old Wisconsin teammates. Maybe Joe can sell him on some talented Wisconsin allumni Burish and Dowell.

We need to break the bank and re-sign those two to use as the main bargaining chip.

Old
06-27-2012, 05:48 PM
Mr Misty
The Irons Are Back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hegemon21 View Post
I read somewhere that he would like to play with his old Wisconsin teammates. Maybe Joe can sell him on some talented Wisconsin allumni Burish and Dowell.

We need to break the bank and re-sign those two to use as the main bargaining chip.
Burish and Dowel won the NCAA title in 05-6, thank you very much, and did not ever play at UW the same time Schultz did. If it comes down to teammates, a certain Jake Gardiner played with him on the same pairing, which all causes all Leaf fans to get their hopes up.

Seriously though, bring back Burish

Old
06-27-2012, 05:51 PM
Hegemon21

I know they didn't actually play on the same team together. It would just be a humorous reach for Joe in a fictional hockey universe.

Old
06-27-2012, 06:10 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

vCash: 2111
Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
GMJN on NHL NEtwork in a few minutes. Few minutes being 3rd quarter of the show... 7:45. Repeating all night.

Last edited by Frozen Failure: 06-27-2012 at 07:28 PM.
Old
06-27-2012, 06:33 PM
Ampersand
Dallas Stars Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars99Lobo37 View Post
The more that franchise does things, the more I'm convinced they're purposely trying to screw themselves.
Yep, I am so happy I never became a Flames fan (born and live here).
I like Wideman, but the contract is huge for a player of his level.

Old
06-27-2012, 07:55 PM
smoneil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull Fan View Post
He probably won't chose here but good on Joe for trying. He'd be given all the time and opportunities he needs though. Don't expect Shultz but damn do I hope he spells the end of Robidas in Dallas.
I've seen this sentiment regarding Robidas a few times now around the boards. A couple of us on the Rangers board were talking about the possibility of dealing for Robidas as an even strength partner for MDZ on the 3rd pair (getting maybe 15-17 minutes per game).

I haven't seen much of Robidas over the last two years, but I remember being really impressed with him in the 2009-10 season. Is he completely shot? I saw he played 22 minutes per game with you guys last season. Do you think a lighter work load might allow him to get back to what he was?

What would the cost be (bearing in mind that we'd be looking at him as one of many possible options for a bottom pair d-man--if it can be done for a pick and a B prospect, then great. Otherwise, it's just not worth it). Has he fallen far enough in your eyes to be available on the bargain rack?

Old
06-27-2012, 07:59 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
shift

The organization has been infatuated with Robidas for the past several years and has constantly overexposed him in terms of icetime and matchups. Part of that was just not having any better options, but part of it was also overestimating his abilities. If he can go to a team where he can play on the 3rd pairing that would be a much better fit for all parties. Apparently he's finally healthy this offseason too, but who knows how much of that is the truth and how much is potential trade posturing. It's not likely to last for long either with his advancing age and aggressively physical style that outstrips his body's ability to cope. I think most fans around here just want to move on in order to get younger and won't be demanding a huge amount.

Old
06-27-2012, 08:11 PM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
Agreed. He'd be solid on a good team playing bottom pairing minutes/matchups. He's just really been overworked and outmatched in recent years. In a depth role on a young D-corps you could do a hell of a lot worse for what the Rangers are probably looking for. I think he has some leadership and work ethic cred around the league as well. I'm hoping he gets traded in part so that he actually has a chance of competing for a Cup during his career.

Pick and B prospect sound about right. Care to toss out some names so we know who you guys consider your B prospects?

Old
06-27-2012, 08:31 PM
smoneil

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
Agreed. He'd be solid on a good team playing bottom pairing minutes/matchups. He's just really been overworked and outmatched in recent years. In a depth role on a young D-corps you could do a hell of a lot worse for what the Rangers are probably looking for. I think he has some leadership and work ethic cred around the league as well. I'm hoping he gets traded in part so that he actually has a chance of competing for a Cup during his career.

Pick and B prospect sound about right. Care to toss out some names so we know who you guys consider your B prospects?

What are Dallas' needs? The Rangers have an odd prospect system at the moment. We have A prospects (Miller, Erixon, McIlrath and now Skjei). That's the clear cut top tier. After that, it all depends on which Rangers fan you ask. Some Rangers fans love guys like Thomas, Fasth, St. Croix and Yogan, while other Rangers fans wouldn't part with them in a move like a depth D like Robidas.

I would probably do any of the following:

2nd rounder straight up (some of the other Rangers fans might balk at this, though)

3rd rounder and Ryan Bourque

4th rounder and Stu Bickel

Again, not sure if any of those would get it done aside from the first one, but you're pretty much assured of a freak out by some portion of the NYR fanbase if their pet B prospect gets included (something we can all be guilty of though, haha).

Old
06-27-2012, 08:58 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoneil View Post
What are Dallas' needs? The Rangers have an odd prospect system at the moment. We have A prospects (Miller, Erixon, McIlrath and now Skjei). That's the clear cut top tier. After that, it all depends on which Rangers fan you ask. Some Rangers fans love guys like Thomas, Fasth, St. Croix and Yogan, while other Rangers fans wouldn't part with them in a move like a depth D like Robidas.
Out of all of those guys Fasth is the one I'd be most interested in personally. Our scouting in Sweden has been pretty strong recently as well so I'm sure our scouts are pretty familiar with him. I don't really feel like we need defense prospects as much as we need forwards. You can just never have too many forward prospects with scoring potential.

The other guys you mentioned like Bickel and Bourque don't seem to be the type we're looking for. Bourque is super small with questionable offensive upside and Bickel doesn't sound like a better option than any of our three closest big D-men prospects like Dillon, Nemeth, Oleksiak.

Old
06-27-2012, 10:26 PM
BigG44

vCash: 475
Top guy at The Fourth Period. You don't see many mentions of Dallas usually out of these guys:

Quote:
David Pagnotta ‏@TheFourthPeriod

Very interested to see what else Dallas does over the next 10 days. Expecting a lot of activity coming from Stars on both FA & trade fronts

Old
06-27-2012, 10:49 PM
smoneil

Quote:
Out of all of those guys Fasth is the one I'd be most interested in personally. Our scouting in Sweden has been pretty strong recently as well so I'm sure our scouts are pretty familiar with him. I don't really feel like we need defense prospects as much as we need forwards. You can just never have too many forward prospects with scoring potential.

The other guys you mentioned like Bickel and Bourque don't seem to be the type we're looking for. Bourque is super small with questionable offensive upside and Bickel doesn't sound like a better option than any of our three closest big D-men prospects like Dillon, Nemeth, Oleksiak.

Yeah, I doubt too many on the Rangers board would be willing to give up Fasth or St. Croix. They are the current flavors of the month in the prospect pool (last year it was Thomas). Even still, I probably wouldn't give them up for Robidas either (their boom potential is worth more than Robidas when we can get another guy in FA for that 6th spot on D).

The second rounder is about as high as I'd go and even then I doubt half the Rangers fanbase would agree. The 3rd + Bourque offers a decent draft pick and a prospect with an outside shot at being a real contributor. The 4th + Bickel offers a lesser draft pick but more of a sure thing for a roster player (though not a great one--he's physical and decent, but he'll never be more than a bottom pairing guy).

If those three options don't get it done, that's fine. Just figured I'd kick the tires a bit and get a read on Robidas' value to you guys.

Old
06-27-2012, 11:33 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
shift

Those strike me as lowballs.

Old
06-27-2012, 11:42 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Yeah I'd rather not trade him for either of those two packages. Neither prospect is what we need and the draft pick is a little too weak to change that. It would definitely be a trade to get rid of Robidas just to send him elsewhere. No true value there for us.

I'm not keen on getting rid of Fistric just yet but if the right deal came along I'd have no problem trading him. How does he strike you as a 3rd pairing guy instead of Robidas?

Old
06-27-2012, 11:47 PM
smoneil

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
Those strike me as lowballs.
They are (well, not the 2nd round pick one. I think that's pretty close to his actual value). I like Robidas more than what's available on the FA market, but not by a huge amount. That's why I was asking--the vibe I got from posts around the boards was that a large number of Dallas fans just wanted him gone, sort of like when we Rangers fans wanted Wolski off the team (not because he was bad--just because he was expensive and didn't fit the team's style of play). If Robidas has more value than a 2nd round pick or a lower round pick + middling prospect, then I'd rather Sather just get the next best option in FA. Either way, I hope Robidas rebounds a bit next year. He seemed like a really special player a couple years back.

Old
06-27-2012, 11:48 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

vCash: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoneil View Post
They are (well, not the 2nd round pick one. I think that's pretty close to his actual value). I like Robidas more than what's available on the FA market, but not by a huge amount. That's why I was asking--the vibe I got from posts around the boards was that a large number of Dallas fans just wanted him gone, sort of like when we Rangers fans wanted Wolski off the team (not because he was bad--just because he was expensive and didn't fit the team's style of play). If Robidas has more value than a 2nd round pick or a lower round pick + middling prospect, then I'd rather Sather just get the next best option in FA. Either way, I hope Robidas rebounds a bit next year. He seemed like a really special player a couple years back.
If we take Redden back, how much more would that be able to get us?

I'm not suggesting we do, but we can, and if it gets us more, then why not?

Old
06-27-2012, 11:52 PM
smoneil

Quote:

I'm not keen on getting rid of Fistric just yet but if the right deal came along I'd have no problem trading him. How does he strike you as a 3rd pairing guy instead of Robidas?
Nah. We're set on the left (McD, Staal and MDZ with Erixon in the wings). We need a righty, and I'd prefer a veteran if possible.

Closed Thread