Notices

2012 Offseason Thread II: The Offseasoning

Closed Thread

Old
07-01-2012, 06:45 AM
Bench
Realgud!

vCash: 500
Is GM Joe in Toronto? I guess that's where Parise is holding his meetings.

Suter is refusing to take meetings except via phone.

Old
07-01-2012, 08:49 AM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by starsfan17 View Post
To say we are not going to be offering a significant offer sheet would be ignorant. I still have hope lol
I think it's entirely possible we offer the most money and still get turned down. I'm really interested to see where he and Suter sign.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench View Post
Suter is refusing to take meetings except via phone.
Interesting. I wonder why.

Old
07-01-2012, 10:01 AM
Troy McClure

Quote:
You ask why. Here's why.

Because there's always the chance you're NOT going to be worth a ton in 10 years. So you take your $80 million dollar deal, become set for life no matter what, and be happy playing hockey. It's the same reason Crosby just took a $100 million dollar deal for way less than his cap would be on the open market. He gets his $100 million dollars, to play for a team he likes, and ride off into the sunset of bags of money.

That's it. No more issues. No more drama. You guys have him signing for under $50 million. No, freakin' way. You'll see.

Let me put it this way: Paul "4th liner' Gaustad just signed a $13 million dollar deal. Parise and Suter are going to push 80, and rightfully so, they are the gems of the free agent class and players of their caliber don't hit free agency often.
That's especially true for a guy getting paid for scoring goals. In five years, Parise is probably not going to be scoring in the 35-40 range. If he takes less cash to hit free agency, he'll likely find himself viewed as an old vet on the decline who won't get another five year deal.

Old
07-01-2012, 02:26 PM
Bench
Realgud!

So word is Parise and Suter are both getting offered huge, front-loaded contracts. Suter has an offer for 13 years and $100 million dollars. Parise's rumored contract is $80 million with tons of cash up front.

Glad it's not my money.

Old
07-01-2012, 02:27 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

vCash: 27750
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaallMunson18 View Post
What are people's view on going after Ray Whitney?
Good call, sir.

Old
07-01-2012, 02:37 PM
Bench
Realgud!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
Interesting. I wonder why.
Suter's agent said they already knew everybody so face-to-face wouldn't accomplish anything. Wings owner Ilitch and Chris Chelios were ready to fly to Madison to meet him at his farm and everything. But ol' Suter said not to fly out.

As of right now, Suter's agent has tweeted he's returning every call he's received today. Said it would take awhile. Pretty classy, if you ask me, to return all the calls and let teams know where they stand.

Old
07-01-2012, 08:27 PM
ginblossoms

Send a message via ICQ to ginblossoms
Quote:
As of right now, Suter's agent has tweeted he's returning every call he's received today. Said it would take awhile. Pretty classy, if you ask me, to return all the calls and let teams know where they stand.
sounds like shrewd negotiating to me...

Old
07-01-2012, 09:39 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Suter's agent said they already knew everybody so face-to-face wouldn't accomplish anything. Wings owner Ilitch and Chris Chelios were ready to fly to Madison to meet him at his farm and everything. But ol' Suter said not to fly out.

That makes sense. And not to take this as him having a big ego or anything but I would imagine that he and his agent know that 20 or more teams will offer him a contract. There's just no realistic way to give face to face time to that many teams but you may as well let them make their offer. Him not having a list of known favorites (that I'm aware of) is pretty smart too.

Old
07-02-2012, 12:24 AM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

vCash: 157
Sounds like Semin is looking for (and really only getting offered) 1-2 year deals. Anywhere from 4-6M per.

I'd be very interested if that's what he's looking for. We've got money to burn and he'd be an excellent stop-gap. Call me crazy, I'd throw 6.5-7M at him if that's what it takes to get him to sign here

I don't have any sources though, just from his thread. I know he's not a GMJN player at all, but still, if he doesn't show at least a little interest, he's could really be missing out.

But I'm not interested at all if he's looking for more than 1-2 years.

Old
07-02-2012, 12:28 AM
The Frugal Gourmet

Not a huge fan of Semin, but I am a big fan of short term contracts since the "rebuilding" bat signal has gone out.

I'm sure you all know since about 3 PM today that we are out on Parise and not invited to the final negotiations and such.

Old
07-02-2012, 12:38 AM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Frugal Gourmet View Post
Not a huge fan of Semin, but I am a big fan of short term contracts since the "rebuilding" bat signal has gone out.

I'm sure you all know since about 3 PM today that we are out on Parise and not invited to the final negotiations and such.
And without many decent guys I'd consider stop-gaps (except Doan, but that's a week away), it'd be interesting.

Even with Doan, though...

Whitney - Benn - Ryder
Eriksson - Eakin/??? - Doan

or Semin:

Whitney - Benn - Semin
Eriksson - Eakin/??? - Ryder

As long as we have a decent #2 center, both are so, so, so much better than last year.

Old
07-02-2012, 12:38 AM
ReverendAlBundy
Loungetown mortician

I'd throw a decent amount of money semins way. He'd be a solid fit to shore up our top 6 wingers.

Old
07-02-2012, 12:48 AM
The Frugal Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
And without many decent guys I'd consider stop-gaps (except Doan, but that's a week away), it'd be interesting.

Even with Doan, though...

Whitney - Benn - Ryder
Eriksson - Eakin/??? - Doan

As long as we have a decent #2 center, that's so much better than last year.
Everyone is penciling in "Doan" to their imaginary lineups today, but I have not seen that confirmed. What am I missing here? Yeah. I always coveted Doan. Like 10 years ago.

I don't know. It's an odd mix of old and young, but it's exactly what I remember watching the Texas Rangers do the previous half decade so I'll take it I guess.

There are many concerns to get too excited about this for next season, though.

1) Aren't we "rebuilding"? I assume there's flexibility for young guys to move in if need be. I'd love to believe Eakin has an upside, and how quickly he got to the NHL is impressive. I know he hasn't been very good yet at this level. His ascent was fairly rapid, though, so I'd say he has time.

2) We have no top playmaking center, or the very least one who can win faceoffs. That seems hugely important to me. You can scarcely find a good team in the league without a few of those qualities present. Benn seems more like a go to the net guy. Let's be honest. He plays like a @#$% wing. I suppose Whitney will be the real playmaker on his line, but... it's weird.

3) We have no top offensive defenseman. Probably the most important thing in the entire universe right there. And huge for the power play.

4) The power play. I refuse to believe these moves fix it.

Old
07-02-2012, 01:32 AM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
The power play. I refuse to believe these moves fix it.
I think Whitney is a very good start to fixing the PP. Beyond that give Larsen a much bigger responsibility and an increase in PP time and I think we'll see definite improvement. I don't think this is the year Larsen turns heads around the league but I'm expecting us all to be quite happy with his strides this coming season; I'm really looking forward to his 2013-14 season as I think that's the season fans league-wide will know his name.

Also, Benn will no longer be on the 2nd unit seeing PP mop up duty, which is huge. The type of PP minutes he was getting last year are just entirely different from type you get by beginning the PP rather than watching on the bench; the flow is very different.

Old
07-02-2012, 03:45 AM
Jere26

Quote:
Everyone is penciling in "Doan" to their imaginary lineups today, but I have not seen that confirmed. What am I missing here? Yeah. I always coveted Doan. Like 10 years ago.
Yesterday there were quite a few rumours on twitter that Dallas is very interested in Doan, eg Espn Lebrun. So yes, nothing imminent or so (especially as he won't sign for another week), but given his connections to Gaglardi and the fact that he wants to stay in the south, it can be assumed there will be talks between both parties. Furthermore the fact that GMJN made an official offer to Parise means that they will most likely sign another Top line player, if possible.

Old
07-02-2012, 08:44 AM
lance78

Do you think there is anything to read into the fact that Jamie Benn was the only Star to welcome Ray Whitney to the team. I am surprised Morrow didn't, that I saw. I would have expected Ott or Morrow to mention it as much as they tweet and since they are the perceived leadership of the team. Ott tweeted to Souray, so we know he was paying attention.

Maybe they see the writing on the wall and have already "checked out" from what is going on for this upcoming year?

Old
07-02-2012, 09:03 AM
Arpi3080
Everybody be cool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lance78 View Post
Do you think there is anything to read into the fact that Jamie Benn was the only Star to welcome Ray Whitney to the team. I am surprised Morrow didn't, that I saw. I would have expected Ott or Morrow to mention it as much as they tweet and since they are the perceived leadership of the team. Ott tweeted to Souray, so we know he was paying attention.

Maybe they see the writing on the wall and have already "checked out" from what is going on for this upcoming year?
You have to consider these guys aren't 24/7 online with their twitter accounts.
It seems that Morrow, Goose weren't online for some days.
Don't know why Ralph, Razor or Otter not mention the Whitney-signing.

Old
07-02-2012, 09:19 AM
The Frugal Gourmet

Yeah. I'm not gonna read too much into the Twitter thing. Benn is always on Twitter and no one else is.

Old
07-02-2012, 09:36 AM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

vCash: 1495
Quote:
Originally Posted by lance78 View Post

Morrow was out golfing with Hull yesterday, according to his wife posting pics and stuff.

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Old
07-02-2012, 09:58 AM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars99Lobo37 View Post
Morrow was out golfing with Hull yesterday, according to his wife posting pics and stuff.
Two former Stars wingers playing a little golf. No biggie.

Old
07-02-2012, 10:07 AM
Cin
Eurosnob.

vCash: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
Two former Stars wingers playing a little golf. No biggie.
Hah! Made my morning.

Old
07-02-2012, 12:43 PM
Troy McClure

Quote:
Yeah. I'm not gonna read too much into the Twitter thing. Benn is always on Twitter and no one else is.
Shouldn't he be busy throwing a football through a tire this offseason?

Old
07-02-2012, 02:28 PM
KISSland

Nucks fan..

Just some chatter from Canucks thread thinking of possibilities for our starting line up..

Trying to pry out Ott wondering if a package of Raymond, Rodin, and our 2nd be of any interest?

Don't know if Dal feels the need to trade youth anymore considering they've just signed Whitney to a 2 year deal.. Not sure the direction they're going. Anyways would like some feedback.

Old
07-02-2012, 02:33 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

vCash: 746
Quote:
Trying to pry out Ott wondering if a package of Raymond, Rodin, and our 2nd be of any interest?
Nope.

Old
07-02-2012, 02:33 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figz14 View Post
Nucks fan..

Just some chatter from Canucks thread thinking of possibilities for our starting line up..

Don't know if Dal feels the need to trade youth anymore considering they've just signed Whitney to a 2 year deal.. Not sure the direction they're going. Anyways would like some feedback.
That won't cut it.

Closed Thread