Closed Thread

Old
05-24-2012, 05:53 AM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medium Rare View Post
Any rumors on what Burish might be asking during free agency? Can he play center? or is he just a winger that can take draws?
Winger that can take draws. He also has a hard time staying healthy. By all accounts a good locker room guy though.

Old
05-24-2012, 12:16 PM
piqued

vCash: 3722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medium Rare View Post
Any rumors on what Burish might be asking during free agency? Can he play center? or is he just a winger that can take draws?
No, there hasn't been much if any news about Burish. He's just not that important of a player. Whether he stays or goes doesn't matter a whole lot. There will be cheaper internal options who can do his job. And yeah he's more of a winger who takes draws.

Old
05-24-2012, 12:52 PM
BigG44

I'm a big Lyle Richardson's fan. He has his own website Spector's, and he writes for The Hockey News.

This Hockey News article rehashes the article I posted from Bob Sturm yesterday, but I think Lyle offers some interesting suggestions as well.

He list's the best targets via trade for Dallas this summer as:

Quote:
San Jose Sharks left winger Patrick Marleau (two years at $6.9 million per), Colorado Avalanche center Paul Stastny (two years, $6.6 million per) and Calgary Flames defenseman Jay Bouwmeester (two years at $6.7 million per).
He doesn't like Dallas' chances with Parise or Suter, but he thinks they'd be good bets at landing Semin.

He doesn't believe Dallas will do any favors for MTL or VAN and take Gomez, Luongo, or Ballard, but he also thinks Lecavalier's 8 years on his contract are too much for Dallas.

He acknowledges that Nash might be someone Dallas looks at, but the chances of that happening are slim because Dallas would have to be on Nash's list and the demands of the BJs are excessively high.

Old
05-24-2012, 12:59 PM
BigG44

I don't recall us playing around with Stastny before, but he clearly fits the idea of getting younger and acquiring true centers.

Duchene is coming off an injury riddled season and a major dip in production. O'Reilly on the other hand has stepped up and looks poised to be a great Top 6 center for them. Those two definitely make up their future, but with Duchene's rough season, I don't see them giving up Stastny without replacing his offense.

Therefore, I suspect Ribeiro would have to be part of the deal. However, I don't know that they'd view him as a big piece or valuable asset in giving up Stastny.

Would you give up 2 assets (picks/prospects) + Ribeiro for only two years guaranteed of Stastny. You can't sign him to an extension until next summer. A bigger negative that should be pointed out is Ribeiro has been a more consistent player compared to Stastny's potential and flashes of great play.

Old
05-24-2012, 01:07 PM
piqued

Let's acquire Parise, Stastny, and Gagner all in one offseason.

Old
05-24-2012, 01:37 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
If we acquire Paul Stastny, I'm going to go cheer for the Avs.

Old
05-24-2012, 03:52 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Failure View Post
If we acquire Paul Stastny, I'm going to go cheer for the Avs.
Yea, he's not that good. He's definitely not worth his contract, either.

Unless we get him pretty cheap (doubtful), no thanks.

Old
05-24-2012, 04:04 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
Yea, he's not that good. He's definitely not worth his contract, either.

Unless we get him pretty cheap (doubtful), no thanks.
Oh no, he's a solid hockey player who is overpaid by 1mil and has injury concerns... but that's not why I dislike him. I really don't care for his on-ice attitude. (I think he's a *****)

Old
05-24-2012, 04:20 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Failure View Post
Oh no, he's a solid hockey player who is overpaid by 1mil and has injury concerns... but that's not why I dislike him. I really don't care for his on-ice attitude. (I think he's a *****)
I've never been sold on him, though. To be fair, I haven't watched him play for quite a while.

Don't know much about him off the ice, though.

Old
05-24-2012, 04:22 PM
BigG44

Bob Gainey was on 105.3 FM apparently.

He said the biggest change in Dallas since he was here was how much the business slide has regressed.

He thinks one of his roles is to help with that, win the community back, and help the fan experience.

They asked him Top 3 needs on ice, and he went with the same at the top as Gaglardi: Top center.

2 and 3 was this statement:

Quote:
I think the Stars probably need to take a look at their performance in the last couple years and pick out some important places where the team play on the ice could be better marginally or by a small percentage over a long period of time that would ... after the 6 month, 82 game schedule will change the outcome of their team. That could be some things like special teams, discipline on the ice, it could be a tactic in their team play that wasn't as efficient or successful as it could be. If they could address a couple of those areas, and I think it's time for the Stars to really take on a refreshed attitude … to start to look ahead and see opportunity rather than dragging along some of the problems and some of the lack of success not making the playoffs that they've had for the last few years.
He admitted he wasn't very familiar with Dallas' prospects, but he's been told they have good NHL potential to be productive ... not any superstars.

He said the solution to that was to become more like the NJ Devils ... learn to play a team game and be tough to play against ... hides some of your deficiencies.

Old
05-24-2012, 04:31 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

Oh hey, someone else (who also happens to have NHL experience at all levels) saying we need another top center! Yay!

And if you play a good enough team game, you'll make the SCF! (and be called a trapping team for years even after acquiring one of the premier offensive guys in the league)

I completely agree that this group is far from being called a team. The closest we've had to a team game has been the Fiddler line, and before that Neal-Richards-Eriksson. The rest of the lineup hasn't done a great job of playing together. I think Gully has made great strides in trying to get the team to play together. But now it's time to move the guys that aren't playing that team game.

Old
05-24-2012, 08:51 PM
Modo
Mo'Benn

vCash: 0
Wait, wait, hold on a second.....why are we suddenly in need of a top line center?

We've got a soon-to-be-resigned Benn, and one more year of Ribeiro, whom I also wouldn't mind keeping. I'd say that's a pretty solid 1-2 punch we've got going. Wandell keeps chugging along on the 3rd line, and the 4th can be run by committee, or a cheap offseason pickup, or hell even a prospect out of camp. Give Espo a crack at it, see what happens.

What we lack, as a team, is depth on the wing, as well as a top-pairing d-man (or two). If we address those needs come July, we'll be in much better shape for the start of next season.

05-24-2012, 09:05 PM
piqued

Yeah I don't agree with Gainey if that's what he really meant. Organizationally, there is definitely a need for centers moving through the system who project into the top-6, but for the here and now that's probably the 2nd to last most needed thing on the NHL club. Unless they have already mentally traded Ribeiro... In which case they still shouldn't be talking that way.

Old
05-24-2012, 09:20 PM
MetalGodAOD*
Star Rangers

I'd imagine their "needs" are thinking more long term. I don't think they see Riberio here more than a year, as it probably should be. In that sense we absolutely do need a top 6 Center, and maybe can't wait for one to develop through the draft.

Old
05-24-2012, 09:52 PM
BigG44

It's been brewing all summer, and IMO it started when GMJN was honest that he wasn't sure Benn is a long term answer at center. I believe he's the only one to specifically address Benn at center vs. wing, but this is now the third person in the franchise this week to stress a top center.

Gaglardi with Bob and Dan focused more on the draft, but he did say a top center, even over a top defender, was their biggest need. Then on with Norm, Jim Lites said they probably needed two centermen. It's not surprising that now Gainey is saying the same thing.

It's definitely strange that two guys (Gaglardi and Gainey) identified center as a bigger need than a #1 defender though which they don't have anything close to.

Modo ... I don't think Dallas is close to lacking wingers. It's pretty clear they are high on the players in the system they have, and they're probably most interested in short terms plugs to fill short term holes. What they need to compete this coming year isn't going to be as difficult to come by as top centers or #1 D.

Since these guys aren't specifically mentioning short or long term when they are answering these questions we are forced to make the best assumption we can. In this instance, I think Gainey was talking long term rather than just next season. Lites for example I think in his interview addressed their short term needs and long term needs. They just so happened to be the same. They need two Top 6 forwards next year, but when he was talking more long term he specifically mentioned centers instead of just Top 6 forward.

Old
05-25-2012, 12:14 AM
________

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to ________ Send a message via MSN to ________
Not sure if this was pointed out, but the penalty situation also needs to be fixed. It ties in with the leadership group for the past four seasons, with the lone exception being Souray.

Ott, Morrow, Souray and Robidas combined for a total of 132 minor penalties last season, despite missing a combined 58 games.

Not to mention the Stars had three of the top 15 in the NHL in minor penalties, despite the three players missing a combined 51 games.

Last edited by ________: 05-25-2012 at 01:59 AM.
Old
05-25-2012, 12:35 AM
glovesave_35
Name

The only reason Benn should play the wing is if there are two better options than him to play center. I highly doubt that happens.

Old
05-25-2012, 03:56 AM
Arpi3080
Everybody be cool!

Any chance to send Pardy to the AHL or / buyout / trade?

Old
05-25-2012, 06:58 AM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
The only reason Benn should play the wing is if there are two better options than him to play center. I highly doubt that happens.
You get though that is the goal though right? I mean ... agree or disagree ... 4 key members of the organization have brought it up in some way.

Yeah ... I don't get that either considering how unlikely it is they have 1 (Oleksiak has potential) let alone 2 top pair defensemen on the roster or in the prospect pool ... but that's what they are saying.

I guess they are worried more about center possibly because they just don't have the prospects. On defense they at least have some guys who could overachieve or reach full potential.

Old
05-25-2012, 07:06 AM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arpi3080 View Post
Any chance to send Pardy to the AHL or / buyout / trade?
If the new CBA has an amnesty buyout, I'm sure they'd consider it. Otherwise, there's really no reason to carry and empty cap hit for 2 years on such a small salary.

The only way he'll be in the AHL is if he's severely outplayed by two of Dillon, Jordie Benn, Nemeth, and Oleksiak.

Now obviously I'm not saying that Dillon, Nemeth, or Oleksiak would be logical options for the #7 D. One of those three would have to take Souray's open spot over Pardy, and then Benn would have to prove to be a significantly better option than Pardy as a part time D. However, I find that pretty doubtful. Just like Nemeth and Oleksaik, Benn is much better served playing big minutes in the AHL rather than sitting in the press box in the NHL.

Plus, people get hurt and depth is important. Once you send Pardy down to the AHL, he'll probably never play for the Dallas Stars again. His contract makes him require re-entry waivers ... see the previous comment ... in the throws of a long season there's at least a reasonable shot someone desperate, riddled with injuries steals him from you on re-entry. Even if you don't like him ... which is totally fair ... he's a warm body that is useful if the **** hits the fan with D injuries.

Old
05-25-2012, 07:24 AM
BigG44

If you want some optimism on the Suter front ... Lyle Richardson who is one of the least optimistic and most likely writers to shoot down trade/free agent rumors ... you should read that as realistic and doesn't get involved too much in speculation had this to say:

Quote:
SPECTOR’S NOTE: Parise and Suter would be perfect fits on any NHL team. The Wings are indeed among the few which could afford to sign both, but it’s easier said than done. The Devils might still re-sign Parise, or he could decide to return home to Minnesota. Suter could be happy to stay put in Nashville, or maybe he might decide Philadelphia or Dallas are better options. The Wings have the aura of success working in their favor, but that doesn’t guarantee they’ll land both.
I just thought it was surprising Dallas was even mentioned in the same league as Detroit and Philadelphia. Not talent or success btw ... just the ability to attract a free agent or make noise in free agency. Even some local writers still doubt Dallas' pull with players it seems, and it's tough not to argue the negative side of Dallas' ability land a top, top guy with a team still finding it's way.

I do believe that when Dallas get's the on ice game working smoothly, they'll have an easier time landing the big fish because of all the benefits of living and playing hockey in Dallas. It'll be interesting though to see how effective Gaglardi, GMJN, Lites, and Gainey are at selling the vision of the team this summer though. If Suter lands in Dallas, you can bet it's because those guys and the organization put on a hell of a show.

Old
05-25-2012, 07:30 AM
BigG44

Just to be clear ... I'm not saying, and I don't think Richardson is either, that Dallas is at the top of his list.

I was just impressed Richardson saw Dallas as being in the mix which is a major upgrade for this team. It's not silly to think they could at least pull it off even if it is unlikely.

Old
05-25-2012, 09:48 AM
Dallasman

I think the main reason you may here our names with these guys is because of our cap space. That would give us an advantage over other teams.
Otherwise, it's pure speculation at this point as far as most are concerned.

Old
05-25-2012, 09:49 AM
BigG44

You're not going to get anything new out of this article, but it's well written. More importantly, it's an honest and accurate look at the Dallas Stars from an outside source.

It was nice to read.

Old
05-25-2012, 10:47 AM
BigG44

James Mirtle takes a look at how the LA Kings were built here.

I thought I'd make a comparison graph to his:

NOTE: I made a mistake and counted Nystrom as a free agent. The above graph should list trades as 20% and free agents as 36% for Dallas.

I thought this was interesting from Mirtle:

Quote:
More impressively, the Kings have drafted one superstar in the third round and then filled out their depth with later round picks: Jonathan Quick being the star and Voynov, Dwight King, Kyle Clifford, Alec Martinez and others filling in around the edges.
Compare that to Jamie Benn (2007 5th rounder) as the star with Wandell (2005 - 5th), Bachman (2006 - 4th), Larsen (2008 - 5th), and Vincour (2009 - 5th). Plus, it seems likely Sceviour (2007 - 4th) will be added to that group soon.

Dallas' 1st round picks don't compare favorably with what LA has done with their picks, but there is at least hope Glennie, Campbell, and Oleksiak can all contribute in the NHL for the Stars.

Quote:
First round picks have certainly played a role, with Dustin Brown, Anze Kopitar and Drew Doughty all taken in the top half of the opening round in the last 10 years.
The key there is LA took several years of 1st round picks to land those 3 players. Dallas doesn't have that opportunity because of not having 1st round picks for several years in a row. Plus, we all hope Dallas' three most recent picks pan out, but we have to acknowledge that it would be a bit out of the norm to have so much success even in the first round.

However, when you include 2nd round picks ... and upcoming 2nd round picks ... Dallas' drafting to build the team looks significantly better with Daley and Eriksson already on the team (Grossmann for part of the season), and several promising hopefuls coming along (Chiasson, Nemeth, and Ritchie).

Closed Thread