HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

Saturday Night Live - Cast Changes

Old
05-21-2012, 09:19 AM
discostu

vCash: 500
Saturday Night Live - Cast Changes

It looks like there will be some changes to the cast when the show returns in the fall. For anyone who watched the finale, they did a send off for Kristen Wiig at the end, that definitely looks like she's not coming back. The rumour is that both Sudeikis and Samberg are likely following suit (although if I'm Lorne Michaels, I imagine I try to do whatever you can to keep Sudeikis until at least the end of the Presidential campaign, given that he plays both Romney and Biden).

All three certainly are pretty funny, and, will likely have viable careers out there. It's probably best for the show they move on as well, as, all three seemed to be getting stale on the show for a while. Hopefully, focus on new cast members will invigorate the writing.

Any SNL thread will undoubtedly turn into a discussion of how the show sucks, but, the show still is the place most likely to produce a comedic star. Kristin Wiig will likely be among the bigger SNL alums at the rate that she's going.

discostu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 09:23 AM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Gonna be weird without Wiig for sure, she was basically the female in every skit.

Agree with Sudeikis, I don't know who replaces him as Romney if he ends up leaving, perhaps he'll do it after the election, and just sort of dwindle as the season winds down after November.

Samberg will also be missed, but I feel like he's not in that many skits aside from the Digital Shorts.

They need to start doing more things for Jay Pharoah who does really good impressions. I'm not the biggest fan of the new blonde chick they brought on for the end of this season but I'm sure she'll be featured more now with Wiig gone.

Will be interesting to say the least.

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 09:30 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Obligatory SNL hasn't been good since the 90s comment.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 09:50 AM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

I wish Fred would leave. Seems like they burn a sketch every week with him playing some outdated stereotype and his it doesn't help that the Roc has done a more funny obama impression than him on the same show.

Hasbro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 10:26 AM
Kovy Wan Kenobi
Not A Rookie User

It definitely looks like Andy is leaving as well. It seems appropriate that the last digital short would be Lazy Sunday 2. Plus, the last line of the rap was something like "these New York streets is where is honed my fake rapsmanship. Thats how it began and that how I'mma finish it".

The sendoff for Kristen was really nice. When Bill went up there for his turn, she just lost it. She's going to have a great career writing and acting in some very funny movies. But did anyone see Sudeikis? He looked so out of it during the last sketch. I can tell if he was so sad to see Kristen go, if he was sad because it was his last skit as well, or if he was angry because he was leaving too and didnt get any kind of send off. It was weird.

I think he will be back next year though. They need him for Romney and Biden.

Kovy Wan Kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 10:45 AM
PyrettaBlaze*

Very sad to see Kristen Wiig go. The female cast is just ****ing horrendous without her. Vanessa Bayer is probably the most unfunny person I've ever seen... Can't stand her ugly smile. I pray they don't bring her back next year.

PyrettaBlaze* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 12:30 PM
discostu

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrettaBlaze View Post
Very sad to see Kristen Wiig go. The female cast is just ****ing horrendous without her. Vanessa Bayer is probably the most unfunny person I've ever seen... Can't stand her ugly smile. I pray they don't bring her back next year.
I think Abby Elliott and Nasim Pedrad are pretty decent, but, given that they had a run of extraordinary female cast members over the last decade (Wiig, Fey and Poehler most notably), it's hard not to feel the drop off.

In terms of the current cast, with Bill Hader staying on (although, you have to think that he might not be around for too many more seasons), and a guy like Taran Killam, the cast isn't in too bad shape.

Old
05-21-2012, 12:34 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
Obligatory SNL hasn't been good since the 90s comment.

john belushi just coughed as said the 70's

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 03:27 PM
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333

just curious- are the people who still watch snl the same people who still watch new episodes of the Simpsons? somebody must be watching this crap, right?

…right?

MartyOwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 04:31 PM
blueandgoldguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyOwns View Post
just curious- are the people who still watch snl the same people who still watch new episodes of the Simpsons? somebody must be watching this crap, right?

…right?
It should be pretty obvious that the shows with this kind of longevity don't have a static audience. The people who watched the Simpsons and SNL in the 70s, 80s and 90s are not the same people who watch it today. For the most part, it's a new generation of viewers.

blueandgoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 05:08 PM
PolishBingo
King Pierogie IV

Serious - I had no idea that this show was still on TV.

PolishBingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 05:46 PM
Anodyne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbro View Post
I wish Fred would leave. Seems like they burn a sketch every week with him playing some outdated stereotype and his it doesn't help that the Roc has done a more funny obama impression than him on the same show.
Seems unlikely, seeing as he plays Obama.

Quote:
Originally Posted by discostu View Post
I think Abby Elliott and Nasim Pedrad are pretty decent, but, given that they had a run of extraordinary female cast members over the last decade (Wiig, Fey and Poehler most notably), it's hard not to feel the drop off.
Three in a decade is nothing, at least compared to how many men have left the show and gone onto bigger things in tv and film.

The female cast is definitely a problem, IMO.

Anodyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 05:48 PM
WhiskeySeven
President of Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolishBingo View Post
Serious - I had no idea that this show was still on TV.
There's at least one great skit a night and 3 out of 5 musical performances are good to watch.

Last episode's Rolling Stones songs played by the Arcade Fire and Foo Fighters were just great. Jeff Beck came on too.

I love SNL, I wish to write for them one day. They need to take more risks and try a bit harder, they go for easy chuckles too often.

WhiskeySeven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 05:54 PM
discostu

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuelsson uhhh View Post

Three in a decade is nothing, at least compared to how many men have left the show and gone onto bigger things in tv and film.

The female cast is definitely a problem, IMO.
Three of that stature is pretty damn impressive. You get very few female comedic actresses who even break out to that level of success, and SNL seems to be the best route at producing them. It's hard to diminish that level of success.

Old
05-21-2012, 06:09 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogEatDog View Post
john belushi just coughed as said the 70's
The 90s group with Chris Farley, Adam Sandler, Rob Schneider, Norm McDonald, Dana Carvey, Mike Myers, Chris Rock, David Spade, Kevin Nealon, Phil Hartman among others was fantastic.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 06:09 PM
Use the Schwartz*
****in' eh

Jay Pharaoh is awesome. Great up and comer, I could see him being in some funny movies after a few more seasons on SNL.

Use the Schwartz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 07:19 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuelsson uhhh View Post

, IMO.
I wonder if Lorne brought in Jay to be the new Obama and Fred has been Favreing them.

Hasbro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 07:36 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Three of that stature is pretty damn impressive. You get very few female comedic actresses who even break out to that level of success, and SNL seems to be the best route at producing them. It's hard to diminish that level of success.
Dratch and Rudolph were also pretty good, although Wiig, Fey and Poehler are a tier above.

Pedrad IMO is the best of the remaining female cast members, but none of them have really stood out, and it seemed like the best female parts always went to Wiig anyways.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 08:04 PM
PolishBingo
King Pierogie IV

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
There's at least one great skit a night and 3 out of 5 musical performances are good to watch.

Last episode's Rolling Stones songs played by the Arcade Fire and Foo Fighters were just great. Jeff Beck came on too.

I love SNL, I wish to write for them one day. They need to take more risks and try a bit harder, they go for easy chuckles too often.
I really thought that show was off the air. Do you DVR it? I can't imagine staying home on a Saturday night to watch TV. Too many other things to do.

PolishBingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 08:26 PM
discostu

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolishBingo View Post
I really thought that show was off the air. Do you DVR it? I can't imagine staying home on a Saturday night to watch TV. Too many other things to do.
That's what I do. Perfect show to watch over a slow Sunday morning. When a skit quite clearly isn't going anywhere, or a crappy musical guest, it's easy to fast forward through.

Old
05-21-2012, 08:27 PM
PyrettaBlaze*

Quote:
That's what I do. Perfect show to watch over a slow Sunday morning. When a skit quite clearly isn't going anywhere, or a crappy musical guest, it's easy to fast forward through.
Yep, same here. No way I'd be able to watch it live.

PyrettaBlaze* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 08:28 PM
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!

I rarely ever make it through the show. Watch the intro's, news and sometimes the musical guests. Only if I really like the guest host can I make it through most of the skits.

Youth Movement Tally Ho...
Led Zappa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 09:03 PM
Human Thumb*

Quote:
so you end up fast forwarding through most of the show?

Human Thumb* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 09:57 PM
Trance Kuja
Global Moderator
2nd Coming.

When Andy leaves, will Jorma come on as a performer or just remain a writer? I know Akiva will be behind the scenes as always.

Trance Kuja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 10:17 PM
N Bahn Ahden

People got on their case for overusing Wiig, but she really was a special cast member. Probably time for her though. Samberg's presence was always much more weighted to the Digital Shorts, and presumably those will continue on even without him. Sudeikes was good, but he played a pretty replaceable role in non-imitation skits (though I'm now realizing just how many impressions he did). As others have said, maybe he stays on until November.

I think Killam is the most promising of the up and comers already in the cast. His Robyn video convinced me. As for females, they also seemed to like using Vanessa Bayer. None of them were really given much of a shot though.

Last edited by N Bahn Ahden: 05-21-2012 at 10:25 PM.
N Bahn Ahden is offline   Reply With Quote