HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

Saturday Night Live

Closed Thread

Old
05-25-2012, 11:17 AM
seventieslord
Student Of The Game

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreMogilny View Post
He's my favourite by far.

"It's a thing of when a midget on roller-skates wears all of your clothes and then you pull them through an airport. "

"It's that thing where two jacked midgets paint themselves orange and you have to parallel park between them."

Old
05-25-2012, 01:00 PM
lyrrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieslord View Post
I read that Stefon (definitely the best Weekend Update guest) doesn't always know what he's going to say before it's on a cue card in front of him, which is why he cracks up so much..
If that's true than it certainly does explain why Bill Hader, a master at keeping it together and making others break, has such a hard time getting through a skit as Stefon. I almost started thinking he was breaking on purpose because at this point we kind of expect him to crack.

Stefon is great but I cant stop laughing when Drunk Uncle makes a visit to the Weekend Update desk. I think Bobby Moynihan should be getting a lot more opportunity. I know he's only had three appearances as Drunk Uncle, but I can not keep it together when he's on. The other gut-buster from weekend update is that clueless, yuppie character Fred Armisen plays that reads clippings from the newspaper and tries/fails to make comments on them. I forget the characters name but he is just a perfect parody of the dumb-ass hipsters you'll see reading a newspaper in any Starbucks near you.

As for Wiig - I was sad to see her go. She was the recipient of probably the best send-off I have ever seen for a cast member. It was absolutely, perfectly done. She will be missed. But this is what makes SNL so great. The will now go out and find "the next one". They always do. They just finished what was basically a renaissance for female voices in comedy. Where they take it next is anyone's guess.

Old
05-25-2012, 01:22 PM
seventieslord
Student Of The Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyrrad View Post
Stefon is great but I cant stop laughing when Drunk Uncle makes a visit to the Weekend Update desk. I think Bobby Moynihan should be getting a lot more opportunity. I know he's only had three appearances as Drunk Uncle, but I can not keep it together when he's on.
Yeah, Moynihan is great. Actually all their "seasoned" cast remaining are very good. If I had to pick a least favourite it would probably be Pedrad, and even she is good.

Quote:
The other gut-buster from weekend update is that clueless, yuppie character Fred Armisen plays that reads clippings from the newspaper and tries/fails to make comments on them. I forget the characters name but he is just a perfect parody of the dumb-ass hipsters you'll see reading a newspaper in any Starbucks near you.
The guy who can't finish his thought?

"I mean... if you think about it.... what this really reminds me of.... have you ever, Seth.... understand where I'm going with this..... it's just really..... you really have to be there to get it.... if everyone in the world, just once..... what I'm getting at is...."

yeah, he's great. Haven't seen him in a whole season, I think.

Quote:
As for Wiig - I was sad to see her go. She was the recipient of probably the best send-off I have ever seen for a cast member. It was absolutely, perfectly done. She will be missed. But this is what makes SNL so great. The will now go out and find "the next one". They always do. They just finished what was basically a renaissance for female voices in comedy. Where they take it next is anyone's guess.
They sure did. Wiig, Fey and Poehler may be the three funniest women in my books. And for one season they had all three of them... and I wasn't watching back then

Old
05-25-2012, 01:51 PM
Brodeur

Quote:
I read that Stefon (definitely the best Weekend Update guest) doesn't always know what he's going to say before it's on a cue card in front of him, which is why he cracks up so much.
I think Hader said the writer(s) will change the punchlines between dress rehearsal and air. He was on a podcast with ESPN's Bill Simmons and mentioned that there was an unrehearsed gag where the writer re-used "Spud Webb as the club owner" had Hader busting up.

Old
05-25-2012, 01:52 PM
Timbo Slice
Captain Eich

Quote:
I will really miss:

- Garth and Kat, the improv singing duo from the Weekend Update
- the creepy small hand big forehead girl on the Lawrence Welk show
- Judy Grimes, fast talking travel agent
- The Aholes
- Penelope, The one-upper
- The lady who can't keep a secret
- The movie critic aunt
- Suze Orman
- Kathie Lee Gifford

I will not miss:

- Gilly
Gilly was one of my favorite sketches

Old
05-25-2012, 01:59 PM
seventieslord
Student Of The Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo Slice View Post
Gilly was one of my favorite sketches
What Wiig did with it was OK, but inside she had to be thinking "I am better than this..."

really the highlight of those sketches was how repeatedly incredulous Keenan's character was that the teacher would ask him if he had done what Gilly did.

Old
05-25-2012, 02:11 PM
Timbo Slice
Captain Eich

Quote:
What Wiig did with it was OK, but inside she had to be thinking "I am better than this..."

really the highlight of those sketches was how repeatedly incredulous Keenan's character was that the teacher would ask him if he had done what Gilly did.
Keenan is so good. "Are you serious? I have to use my forehead to flush the toilet!" Him, Wiig, and Bobby Moynihan made that sketch hilarious.

Old
05-25-2012, 02:18 PM
seventieslord
Student Of The Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo Slice View Post
Keenan is so good. "Are you serious? I have to use my forehead to flush the toilet!" Him, Wiig, and Bobby Moynihan made that sketch hilarious.
yeah, ok, that made me smile... they save the sketch, but Gilly herself just added nothing to it. It's the character Gilly that I have an issue with, haha.

probably my favourite underrated Wiig character is Judy Grimes. They didn't do that one enough.

Old
05-25-2012, 02:59 PM
AlienWorkShop
No Ben! No!

Hader writes the Stefon sketches with John Mulaney, who either changes jokes last second or does something psych Hader out right before he goes on haha. That character still somehow never fails to make me laugh haha

Wiig's main problem was how badly they ran her characters into the ground. I loved the Lawrence Welk sketch when I first saw it, but then I grew to loathe it (Jon Hamm almost single-handedly revitalized it in the season finale), the old-timey, always says the secret word actress was the same damn joke every time, Target Lady started to rely on the guest host, Judy Grimes was more a matter of Wiig showing off talent than being funny... There's probably a couple I missed.

A lot of her characters were really funny in their first few sketches though and I'll miss Wiig. Even if her recurring character sketches dragged, you could count on her to stand out as a one-off character or impression every night. I remember it was pretty obvious she'd be the next stand out when she became a featured player. Bridesmaids may have gotten more hype than was good for it, but it was certainly a promising start, plus she's been great in other supporting roles (MacGruber!)

I read Sudeikus may be hanging around as Romney/Biden for the election and then he'll leave, hence why he didn't get a send off.

I've been a huge Samberg fan for a long time and he made SNL somewhat relevant again almost all by himself (along with Akiva and Jorma of course!) when he joined the cast. Other than the occasional awesomely ridiculous impression (Nic Cage!), he really didn't do much sketch-wise, so there wasn't too much for him to stick around for anymore. He'll still do plenty of music videos with the Lonely Island in the future, so it will hardly seem like he stopped the Digital Shorts anyway.

Killan and Moynihan, along with Hader, will anchor the show next year. Killan and Moynihan have shown some flashes of brilliance, so it may not be a bad transition.

Among the ladies... Pedrad is alright, but she's usually relegated to being an old lady or a teenager... I'm not sure if Bayer can do anything other than play an uptight, mousey woman or annoy me... Can't think of anything Elliott's done to make me laugh... MacKinnon showed a bit of promise in her limited role over the last few episodes.

Last edited by AlienWorkShop: 05-25-2012 at 03:04 PM.
Old
05-25-2012, 03:27 PM
Shoalzie
Found Footage

I just never found Fred Armisen all that funny...played it way too straight and plain.

Wiig grew on me as the show went on and obviously Bridesmaids was great.

Sudeikis leaving will suck...I missed seeing Forte for all those years, it was cool to see him make a couple of appearances at the end of the season.

Samberg was fine on the show...the Digital Shorts and Nick Cage were his best bits.

Old
05-26-2012, 04:38 PM
Uncle Rotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbro View Post
If Sudekis leaves I hope it isn't the end for Ass Dan.
R.I.P. Ass Dan

Old
05-26-2012, 05:29 PM
brendan
rip bruv/cudi

As long as Bill Hader stays, I'm happy.

Old
05-26-2012, 06:01 PM
Hasbro
Can He Skate?!

Quote:

Bobby Moynihan is Ass Dan.... and Ass Dan doesn't really do anything.

in...
He dies.

Old
05-26-2012, 06:04 PM
WhiskeySeven
Enlarged member

vCash: 300
Vanessa Bayer sucks but you need a not-attractive female cast member to play the straight roles. I never understood the hate for Fred Armisen, he's good at what he does. Sudekis has been phoning it in for a long time now.

Hader is the all-star.

Old
05-26-2012, 07:10 PM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
Obligatory SNL hasn't been good since the 90s comment.
For the most part it hasn't. I still seems to have its moments but it is not consistently great like it was back then.

Old
05-27-2012, 12:58 AM
MVP Tom Pyatt
Tommy P

vCash: 50
Kenan Thompson is a boss.

Old
05-27-2012, 12:59 AM
TK
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakob Silfverberg View Post
Kenan Thompson is a boss.
I saw him once.

Old
05-27-2012, 01:25 AM
Use the Schwartz*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trance Kuja View Post
I saw him once.
I see him every Saturday on NBC.

When's the new season start?

Old
05-27-2012, 11:14 PM
TNT87
Defending Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovy Wan Kenobi View Post
It definitely looks like Andy is leaving as well. It seems appropriate that the last digital short would be Lazy Sunday 2. Plus, the last line of the rap was something like "these New York streets is where is honed my fake rapsmanship. Thats how it began and that how I'mma finish it".

The sendoff for Kristen was really nice. When Bill went up there for his turn, she just lost it. She's going to have a great career writing and acting in some very funny movies. But did anyone see Sudeikis? He looked so out of it during the last sketch. I can tell if he was so sad to see Kristen go, if he was sad because it was his last skit as well, or if he was angry because he was leaving too and didnt get any kind of send off. It was weird.

I think he will be back next year though. They need him for Romney and Biden.
I noticed that as well. He was in the back and while everyone was singing he had a stone cold look on his face. To me it was more a look of anger than sadness, but I can't be for sure as it might have been so many emotions rolled into one. I did notice that I couldn't find him when they panned out the shot at the end.

I like Wiig and I liked her The Californians character that they did towards the end of the season. I did grow somewhat tire of her appearing in so many skits though. Then again she was the best female cast member on the show. I'm sure they will bring her back soon enough like they do with Poehler and Fey to guest host. I'm sick of seeing those two host it seems like every season.

I hope Sudeikis comes back for one more year. Sandberg leaving is no big deal.

More Abby Elliot please.

Old
05-28-2012, 11:23 PM
seventieslord
Student Of The Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoalzie View Post
Sudeikis leaving will suck...I missed seeing Forte for all those years, it was cool to see him make a couple of appearances at the end of the season.
He is awesome as Greg Stink on those ESPN2 broadcasts of ladies sports.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
Hader is the all-star.
I concur. He is now.

Old
05-29-2012, 09:11 AM
lyrrad

Quote:
"I mean... if you think about it.... what this really reminds me of.... have you ever, Seth.... understand where I'm going with this..... it's just really..... you really have to be there to get it.... if everyone in the world, just once..... what I'm getting at is...."(
You just kicked my ass with that! I read it in his annoying voice hahaha
God I know so many people like that. Such a perfect character.

Old
05-29-2012, 11:03 AM
AlienWorkShop
No Ben! No!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
For the most part it hasn't. I still seems to have its moments but it is not consistently great like it was back then.
It's a pretty common refrain to suggest the show was so much funnier/consistent in [insert time period here]. I'm pretty sure the only period nobody pines for is the early 80s.

I think you'd be pretty disappointed to go back and watch any other time period you hold in high regard. The 90s had some great cast members like Sandler, Farley, Nealon, MacDonald, etc., but it was also still very hit and miss. All the critics hated that 90s cast (if I remember right, Rolling Stone had a cover with Chris Farley on it declaring the show dead), but nostalgia and selective memory casts the show in a positive light looking back on it. Watching some of the episodes from the first few seasons, you'd be surprised by just how bad the show could be. It was exciting for its time, but it was also searching for its legs (it was practically a variety hour show in some regards rather than a sketch show) Ferrell was obviously a standout performer, but people forget how much terrible material he had to struggle through at times.

However, if you have a certain affinity for a cast member, than you're certainly welcome to hold some eras in high regard. Farley didn't always have the best material, but he could probably draw a laugh out of me in any sketch he was ever in. I'm a huge Norm MacDonald fan, so even if his Weekend Update work was divisive, it cracks me up every time. However, those casts also included very hit-or-miss types like Spade or Schneider getting significant airtime.

I won't argue this current cast is the best ever, it's not and many of its members lost steam a couple years ago, but it has the same highs and lows that every cast has had (outside of the very consistent lows of the early 1980s - excluding Eddie Murphy)

Old
05-29-2012, 11:31 AM
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar

I'm actually reading the history of SNL book right now, its pretty good, but Im still only into the late 70s so far. I'm definitely one of the 1990s/early 2000s people when it comes to SNL and admittedly haven't watched in a longass time despite some channel flipping here and there.

I think what must have hurt SNL nowadays is that it was the go to place for up and coming talent, and also it was a special show where a lot of people got their fix for sketch comedy on TV. Now with websites, expanded media, and even cable TV that lets you push the envelope MORE than SNL, it's just not as attractive as a show anymore.

SNL used to be the hip show that pushed everything to the edge, now the internet and cable TV can do that even more, and there's also a ton of good talent out there as well to be viewed, not just SNL.

Old
05-29-2012, 03:18 PM
seventieslord
Student Of The Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyrrad View Post
You just kicked my ass with that! I read it in his annoying voice hahaha
God I know so many people like that. Such a perfect character.
my wife is like that sometimes when telling stories to other people.... she'll end up on a third degree tangent and I have to bring it back home for her or we'll be standing in a grocery center aisle all day.

Old
05-30-2012, 06:59 AM
Seanconn*

IMO, SNL is unwatchable whenever Andy Samberg is on the screen.

Dick in a box was actually funny... But it was allll downhill from there!

Really too bad Kristen Wiig left the show... Well it was a great move for her... And I don't really care since I stopped watching SNL... But she was easily the best cast member remaining.

The last episode I watched was when Tina Fey hosted (right after Bin Laden got killed). I thought it was a really good episode! Haven't watched since though..

Closed Thread