HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

The Master

Old
09-11-2012, 04:27 PM
SB164

vCash: 500
If anyone wants to listen the soundtrack by Jonny Grenwood in its entirety, you can check it out here:

http://www.nonesuch.com/albums/the-master-soundtrack

Last edited by SB164: 09-11-2012 at 08:01 PM.
SB164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-13-2012, 10:16 PM
Auguste McEscoffier

What the ****? As far as I can tell, this film is not a limited release, and is to open tomorrow, but I can't find any showtimes for Edmonton. I was looking forward to see it after work. Damn.

Edit: I am seeing October 12th and September 21st as release dates.

Auguste McEscoffier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 09:31 AM
Heisenberg77

Getting decent reviews...Although Ebert had some slightly unfavorable things to say...

"Paul Thomas Anderson's "The Master" is fabulously well-acted and crafted, but when I reach for it, my hand closes on air. It has rich material and isn't clear what it thinks about it. It has two performances of Oscar caliber, but do they connect? Its title character is transparently inspired by L. Ron Hubbard, the founder of Scientology, but it sidesteps any firm vision of the cult religion itself — or what it grew into."

Heisenberg77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 10:09 AM
kihei

vCash: 3202
It opens in TO tomorrow along with three other highly rated TIFF films. Looks like I'm going to have a busy few days, very much like an extension of the festival.

kihei is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 10:30 AM
Stu Macher

I'm going to see it at 10 AM tomorrow. Unfortunately, I won't have time this weekend to make the trip up to Silver Spring, MD, where the AFI Cultural Center is showing it in 70MM.

Stu Macher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2012, 11:35 AM
Eternal Sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auguste Escoffier View Post
What the ****? As far as I can tell, this film is not a limited release, and is to open tomorrow, but I can't find any showtimes for Edmonton. I was looking forward to see it after work. Damn.

Edit: I am seeing October 12th and September 21st as release dates.
Same deal in Ottawa. I see it playing on Bloor St. theatre in Toronto, which is close to home. But I am away at school for now, and don't see it anywhere in Ottawa. I hope they decide to give it a widespread release ASAP. Or else I'm headed home

Eternal Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2012, 03:57 AM
Stu Macher

The Master

As I said about The Master in another thread a while back, I want to see it twice before I give my full take on it, but I figure I can give some first impression thoughts here.

I went to a midnight screening, and was afraid I'd be fading at around the halfway point (like during The Dark Knight Rises). Instead, I never felt sleepy at all. I was to absorbed in the story of The Master, as little story as there is. It's dominated by character, not story, and even the characters are not too easy to parse.

They are brought to life by a pair of performances that will be strong contenders for the best of the year. Philip Seymour Hoffman gives the best performance I've seen from him (I admittedly haven't seen Charlie Wilson's War, which I hear he's great in), but in the end, this is Joaquin Phoenix's film. I've said that the most unfortunate thing about the I'm Still Here debacle is that that was a few years where we didn't get to see this guy act, and here he's almost unrecognizable. If he didn't say a single word, it would be one of the best performances in recent memory, but fortunately he does talk, and everything out of his mouth is interesting. On first viewing, this is one of the best performances I've seen in the 21st century.

Much has been said about Paul Thomas Anderson shooting the film in 65MM, and let me assure you: the film is GORGEOUS. Everything is so clear and vivid, without losing PTA's trademark dirtiness. I would say that the Best Cinematography Oscar is locked up, but of course I said that after seeing The Tree of Life last year, and we all know how that worked out. Obviously the 65MM pays off more when shooting the ocean than characters sitting on a couch, but at all times it looks great.

There is a moment in the film (I'll refer to it as the "Unblinking Questioning") that had me as much as anything I've seen before in a film. It was reminiscent of the baptism sequence in There Will Be Blood, albeit much earlier in the film. At that point, PTA could have walked into the theater with a feather, and knocked me over.

I'll have to see it again, but after my first viewing, it has the inside track to being my #1 of the year. However, it's not going to be for everyone. I've heard people complain about it being too closed off and difficult, and people getting overly frustrated when they can't figure out "what it means". Because of this, I decided to just sit back, and let it absorb me. If it was doing it's job, things would click into place, and some of them really did. I'll just have to see if more do on a second viewing.

Old
09-21-2012, 10:36 PM
xX Hot Fuss

Can someone explain to me what the hell I just watched? The acting was great but this was one of the most boring, awful films I've seen. The 8/10s, 9/10s, and 10/10s it's getting are blowing my mind right now

xX Hot Fuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2012, 07:55 AM
kihei

To semi-paraphrase the end of my review on the movie page: I thought it was a good movie, but not a masterpiece. Hoffman and, especially, Phoenix (wow, just wow) are worth the price of admission alone. As was true of There Will Be Blood, the two lead performances are essentially the movie. See it in 70mm in you can. I doubt, though, it will find huge success at the box office (50 million??). A lot of people, I think, will understandably have a similar reaction to the one that xX Hot Fuss had.

Old
09-22-2012, 08:05 AM
kihei

Quote:
Originally Posted by xX Hot Fuss View Post
Can someone explain to me what the hell I just watched? The acting was great but this was one of the most boring, awful films I've seen. The 8/10s, 9/10s, and 10/10s it's getting are blowing my mind right now
I think some critics are going overboard too, though I rate it a good film (if I rated films, it would be in the 7/7.5 range probably, high for me). I think it is the theme and how it is played out, the performances, and the cinematography that impresses those who are giving it raves. Especially the theme, though--
Spoil:
how even a little **** up of a person can eventually reject all the ********
--which I think touches a chord especially with Americans, where most of the raves are coming from.

Last edited by kihei: 09-22-2012 at 11:10 AM.
Old
09-22-2012, 02:14 PM
xX Hot Fuss

The acting and cinematography was great. But the trailer made this film our to be something it never even approached. IMO the film had no theme. No goal for the characters to achieve.

The theater started our being nearly sold out and by the end of it it was nearly half empty with a dozen or so asleep.

I appreciated There Will Be Blood but The Master had no sense of purpose and it took 2 hours and 17 minutes for me to figure it out.

xX Hot Fuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2012, 09:48 PM
Stu Macher

I think the motivations of the Philip Seymour Hoffman characters interest in Joaquin Phoenix's character goes back to a story Hoffman told at his daughters wedding. If I remember properly, he tells the story of a man who threw a rope around a dragons neck, and tried to train it. Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but if I am correct, I think Phoenix is his dragon. If he can get through to him, it will vindicate his ambitions: the ability to control even the uncontrollable.

Old
09-23-2012, 12:41 AM
kihei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Macher View Post
I think the motivations of the Philip Seymour Hoffman characters interest in Joaquin Phoenix's character goes back to a story Hoffman told at his daughters wedding. If I remember properly, he tells the story of a man who threw a rope around a dragons neck, and tried to train it. Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but if I am correct, I think Phoenix is his dragon. If he can get through to him, it will vindicate his ambitions: the ability to control even the uncontrollable.
I think this is spot on.

Old
09-23-2012, 09:06 AM
Stu Macher

Quote:
Originally Posted by kihei View Post
I think this is spot on.
Thank you. I also saw something very simple posted on IMDB that I liked. Just 5 words to describe The Master: Ultimate Freedom vs. Ultimate Mastery.

I'm seeing it again after work tonight. I'm interested to see it again.

Old
09-24-2012, 06:10 PM
stingo
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
I'm going to see this tomorrow.

stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 06:10 PM
Heisenberg77

Pretty interesting, but it lacked a clear direction/plot? I was enthralled by PSH and Phoenix's performances though.

Heisenberg77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 06:35 PM
le_sean

vCash: 612
Quote:
Good job picking up on that.

I still have a little problem with the subtlety of the film's plot though. I mean, we shouldn't have to dig this deep to try and get the point of the movie, in my opinion.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 10:23 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Good job picking up on that.

I still have a little problem with the subtlety of the film's plot though. I mean, we shouldn't have to dig this deep to try and get the point of the movie, in my opinion.
The chase was better than the catch, for me. The final plot or point or theme or whatever you choose to call it is not nearly as interesting or as rewarding as watching Phoenix and Hoffman get there.

hototogisu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 10:25 PM
le_sean

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
The chase was better than the catch, for me. The final plot or point or theme or whatever you choose to call it is not nearly as interesting or as rewarding as watching Phoenix and Hoffman get there.
I enjoyed it too, but I expected something a lot more rewarding to be honest. I loved There Will Be Blood, and I was hoping PTA would take another step forward with his next film. Unfortunately, he did not.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2012, 10:33 PM
Stu Macher

I understand that people don't like The Master. I just think its funny every time I see a person say that they didn't like it because it "wasn't about anything", and than types 3-5 paragraphs about all the things it could possibly about. I think that's the point, whether you enjoy it or not.

Old
10-17-2012, 12:23 AM
Nalyd Psycho

Quote:
this is Joaquin Phoenix's film. I've said that the most unfortunate thing about the I'm Still Here debacle is that that was a few years where we didn't get to see this guy act, and here he's almost unrecognizable. If he didn't say a single word, it would be one of the best performances in recent memory, but fortunately he does talk, and everything out of his mouth is interesting. On first viewing, this is one of the best performances I've seen in the 21st century.
Could not agree more. His performance is breathtaking. I can't imagine a better performance. There was one scene where he's twitching his ears while thinking, and it just communicated so much about the character.

10-17-2012, 12:29 AM
Eternal Sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
I enjoyed it too, but I expected something a lot more rewarding to be honest. I loved There Will Be Blood, and I was hoping PTA would take another step forward with his next film. Unfortunately, he did not.
How many times have you seen it? I would recommend another viewing.

Quote:
I understand that people don't like The Master. I just think its funny every time I see a person say that they didn't like it because it "wasn't about anything", and than types 3-5 paragraphs about all the things it could possibly about. I think that's the point, whether you enjoy it or not.
This. It has a lot to chew on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalyd Psycho View Post
Could not agree more. His performance is breathtaking. I can't imagine a better performance. There was one scene where he's twitching his ears while thinking, and it just communicated so much about the character.
JP is the man, simple as that. Hoffman is also beastly.
EDIT: this thread should be titled "Phoenix roaring back?" (Even though I'm Still Here is one of smartest and bravest things I've ever seen from an acting/filmmaking POV, most people don't know about it, or understand what he was doing.)

I wouldn't know as I wasn't really around for the most part, but I've been told that people rarely liked Kubrick's films until several years after they were released. I think this film may follow a similar, albeit milder, pattern.

Eternal Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 12:42 AM
Kitten Mittons

Movie was just okay. Acting and cinematography are incredible but the message of the movie is too simple for the complexity of the plot. It really didn't have to be what it was.

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 08:06 AM
ZadorovNJD*
go away fatso

I recall reading or hearing about this before so I won't take credit for it, but the characters represent the id (Freddy), ego (Lancaster), and super-ego (Peggy). Allow me to cherry-pick some quotes off wiki:

Quote:
"[The id] is the dark, inaccessible part of our personality, what little we know of it we have learned from our study of the Dreamwork and of the construction of neurotic symptoms, and most of that is of a negative character and can be described only as a contrast to the ego. We approach the id with analogies: we call it a chaos, a cauldron full of seething excitations.... It is filled with energy reaching it from the instincts, but it has no organization, produces no collective will, but only a striving to bring about the satisfaction of the instinctual needs subject to the observance of the pleasure principle."
Quote:
The ego comprises the organized part of the personality structure that includes defensive, perceptual, intellectual-cognitive, and executive functions.

"it serves three severe masters ... the external world, the super-ego and the id."
Quote:
The super-ego's demands often oppose the idís, so the ego sometimes has a hard time in reconciling the two.
Thinking back to the movie this does seem to be the central theme of the movie, which was somewhat buried under the cult plot line. Going into I was expecting it to be largely about the beginning of Scientology, and how they grew their influence, but it really wasn't. The movie probably won't take home the big prizes next year due to that confusion and the overall ethereal nature of the film. In any case, I plan on going to see it again because it was visually beautiful, the soundtrack was great, and the performances were of course amazing. I must also say I loved the final shot of the movie.

ZadorovNJD* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2012, 09:26 AM
Stu Macher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie View Post
I recall reading or hearing about this before so I won't take credit for it, but the characters represent the id (Freddy), ego (Lancaster), and super-ego (Peggy). Allow me to cherry-pick some quotes off wiki:

Thinking back to the movie this does seem to be the central theme of the movie, which was somewhat buried under the cult plot line.
That is actually very interesting.