HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Russians care more for international play

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-21-2012, 12:20 PM
  #1
stars13*
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 29
vCash: 500
Russians care more for international play

I understand the world championship is important to the the Russians because of there great history but it seems they are more passionate when they play international hockey instead of nhl playoff hockey. Malkin dominated the tournament but a month ago the flyers frustrated the hell out of him. Now lets see if you can run the table when everyone is playing in 2014.

stars13* is offline  
Old
05-21-2012, 12:22 PM
  #2
Skyver
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Budapest
Country: Hungary
Posts: 1,352
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stars13 View Post
I understand the world championship is important to the the Russians because of there great history but it seems they are more passionate when they play international hockey instead of nhl playoff hockey. Malkin dominated the tournament but a month ago the flyers frustrated the hell out of him. Now lets see if you can run the table when everyone is playing in 2014.
Yes, maybe. That's their culture. Can you blame them for loving their country that much?

Skyver is offline  
Old
05-21-2012, 12:27 PM
  #3
Fulcrum
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 2,605
vCash: 500
Water is wet.

That is all

Fulcrum is offline  
Old
05-21-2012, 12:29 PM
  #4
NewFang
Registered User
 
NewFang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,677
vCash: 500
I disagree. I just think it's alot tougher to play in the nhl playoffs than the world championship. I'm sure if you asked players that they'd tell you. Teams are well coached, systems in place, and you're dealing with long grueling series with the best players in the world putting it all on the line.

If your premise was accurate, how would you explain the poor showing of Russia at the Olympics, or how would you explain Malkin winning a Conn Smyth.

NewFang is offline  
Old
05-21-2012, 12:30 PM
  #5
CCCP
Registered User
 
CCCP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 2,965
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stars13 View Post
I understand the world championship is important to the the Russians because of there great history but it seems they are more passionate when they play international hockey instead of nhl playoff hockey. Malkin dominated the tournament but a month ago the flyers frustrated the hell out of him. Now lets see if you can run the table when everyone is playing in 2014.
He also just won the Art Ross, most likely will win the Hart and Lindsey, and also has won the Cup and the Conn Smythe before.

CCCP is offline  
Old
05-21-2012, 12:33 PM
  #6
NewFang
Registered User
 
NewFang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,677
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCP View Post
He also just won the Art Ross, most likely will win the Hart and Lindsey, and also has won the Cup and the Conn Smythe before.
Exactly. Not to mention guys like ov and dats do very well in the nhl playoffs

NewFang is offline  
Old
05-21-2012, 12:57 PM
  #7
LSnow
Registered User
 
LSnow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Finland
Country: Finland
Posts: 2,922
vCash: 500
Maybe if the canadian mr fleury would care to play in playoffs maybe malkin woulnd be new mr champion..

LSnow is online now  
Old
05-21-2012, 01:25 PM
  #8
Sokil
Ukraine Specialitsky
 
Sokil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 6,227
vCash: 500
Crosby didn't play all that passionately in the playoffs and then bailed on Team Canada for the WCs, so what's that say about passion?


Nothing. This micro analysis is stupid.

Sokil is offline  
Old
05-21-2012, 01:26 PM
  #9
kp61c
Registered User
 
kp61c's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Moscow
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 748
vCash: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by stars13 View Post
I understand the world championship is important to the the Russians because of there great history but it seems they are more passionate when they play international hockey instead of nhl playoff hockey. Malkin dominated the tournament but a month ago the flyers frustrated the hell out of him. Now lets see if you can run the table when everyone is playing in 2014.
its moronic to say the world championship is more important to the russians for obvious reasons, but it doesnt mean they souldnt play at 100 per cent in wc

kp61c is offline  
Old
05-21-2012, 01:39 PM
  #10
Sh00terMcGavin
Snake? Snaaaaaaake!
 
Sh00terMcGavin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 5,984
vCash: 500
First off, this notion that Sid and Geno were "shut down" in the playoffs has to stop. They both had 8 points in 6 games (yes I know the 10 goal game helped). The reason the Pens lost was because of atrocious defense and goaltending. As for Russia though, I have no problem with fans feeling proud in their country. There's no point in even discussing the World Championships if every comeback is "well, let's see if you can do it in 2014!"

Sh00terMcGavin is offline  
Old
05-21-2012, 02:05 PM
  #11
Dares
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 228
vCash: 500
Today you play KHL, tomorrow NHL, might end up playing for 5+ teams....why should you care about a cup. Playing for you national team winning medals is more important.
Yes you want to win the cup, whichever it is but when it comes to a call for the national team you should take a huge dump in that cup and answer that call....

Canada doing not so great in WC, same talk every year of how important it is for them brought it to a level NA guys act as if its of less importance to them.
Put these WHC in NA, Canada takes the gold year after year then it becomes super important all of a sudden.....

Dares is offline  
Old
05-21-2012, 02:08 PM
  #12
Zuluss
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 421
vCash: 500
I think they just look different, and this is what makes WC fun to watch. You've got to see Malkin rushing down the wing because the ice is bigger or some vintage Ovechkin because Team Norway apparently does not have a book on him like NHL teams do.

Zuluss is offline  
Old
05-21-2012, 02:10 PM
  #13
Sokil
Ukraine Specialitsky
 
Sokil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 6,227
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dares View Post
Today you play KHL, tomorrow NHL, might end up playing for 5+ teams....why should you care about a cup. Playing for you national team winning medals is more important.
Yes you want to win the cup, whichever it is but when it comes to a call for the national team you should take a huge dump in that cup and answer that call....

Canada doing not so great in WC, same talk every year of how important it is for them brought it to a level NA guys act as if its of less importance to them.
Put these WHC in NA, Canada takes the gold year after year then it becomes super important all of a sudden.....
to play devils advocate here, with a team you (in most cases) 1) spend your career trying to get a Cup, so the goal of getting it builds up that desire and 2) you spend your entire season, 82 games with your teammates trying to win, so getting to the playoffs is a the culmination of all the work you've put in.

Sokil is offline  
Old
05-21-2012, 02:21 PM
  #14
KevyD
Make It 30!!!!
 
KevyD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Niagara
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,809
vCash: 500
Russian hockey has seen a resurgence lately. Up until 2010, many were singing its death knell. First came success at the WC. Then the WJR's. Perhaps 2014 will be their year as well. The big ice will help. Home ice may not.

KevyD is online now  
Old
05-21-2012, 06:38 PM
  #15
Uncle Rotter
Registered User
 
Uncle Rotter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Kelowna, B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,943
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevyD View Post
Up until 2010, many were singing its death knell.
There were many more picking them as the favourites for Vancouver

Uncle Rotter is offline  
Old
05-21-2012, 06:48 PM
  #16
Coramoor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 453
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sokil View Post
Crosby didn't play all that passionately in the playoffs and then bailed on Team Canada for the WCs, so what's that say about passion?


Nothing. This micro analysis is stupid.
Crosby was good in the playoffs, although clearly a little worried about being headhunted along the boards

Given his injury problems this year, you can see him passing. Stamkos had some kind of hand problem. Giroux just had surgery on both wrists. Injuries are a ***** and the WC doesn't hold the same importance to Canada as it does to European countries

Coramoor is offline  
Old
05-21-2012, 06:50 PM
  #17
nucks88
Registered User
 
nucks88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 497
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sokil View Post
Crosby didn't play all that passionately in the playoffs and then bailed on Team Canada for the WCs, so what's that say about passion?


Nothing. This micro analysis is stupid.
Says a lot about serious concussions though don't you think? I give the guy a pass on this one, he came through when it mattered in 2010. I don't think you will find a more competitive or passionate player anywhere.

nucks88 is offline  
Old
05-22-2012, 03:15 AM
  #18
Yamaguchi
Registered User
 
Yamaguchi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 676
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rotter View Post
There were many more picking them as the favourites for Vancouver
Who thought so? Those guys must be jokers. It was obvious that Canada had a huge chance of winning gold on home ice.

Yamaguchi is offline  
Old
05-22-2012, 06:21 AM
  #19
Gemini
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 149
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dares View Post
Yes you want to win the cup, whichever it is but when it comes to a call for the national team you should take a huge dump in that cup and answer that call....
Come again?

Why on earth should the national team take precedence over winning the most important trophy in hockey? Playing for the national team is only good for silly nationalist chest-pounding.

Gemini is offline  
Old
05-22-2012, 06:32 AM
  #20
Korolyuk15
Registered User
 
Korolyuk15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: London
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 940
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
Come again?

Why on earth should the national team take precedence over winning the most important trophy in hockey? Playing for the national team is only good for silly nationalist chest-pounding.
I'm sorry but this is just ridiculous....representing your nation is important in every sport, there is extra emotion that comes with a shared culture, heritage and history, the core components of what define a "nation"...thats why athletes do it without being paid (much?)

You are basically saying nations aren't important at all...history would beg to differ...

Playing for national teams is important for Americans and Canadians just as much as Russians and Europeans, just not when they lose (hence the lack of emphasis on the WHC or the world cup)

Korolyuk15 is offline  
Old
05-22-2012, 06:36 AM
  #21
FanKHL
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 45
vCash: 500
Quote:
Why on earth should the national team take precedence over winning the most important trophy in hockey?
Is it serious? lol

FanKHL is offline  
Old
05-22-2012, 07:25 AM
  #22
Gemini
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 149
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Korolyuk15 View Post
I'm sorry but this is just ridiculous....representing your nation is important in every sport, there is extra emotion that comes with a shared culture, heritage and history, the core components of what define a "nation"...thats why athletes do it without being paid (much?)
Which is why it's so silly: You want to win for your country, no matter the country, just because it's your country. In fact, there seems to be a negative correlation between a given country's living standards and its inhabitants' national pride, at least when it comes to sports. Of course, this is not all that surprising: When you've got little things to be proud of, silly international competitions are valued disproportionately. So, it's not surprising that Americans value international tournaments (in any sports) less than Russians do. Representing your country is still important to a North American but not as important as winning the highest prize available to an individual athlete (North Americans being more individualistic than Europeans/Asians). This is why it's not so important whose jersey you happen to be wearing when you get to lift the cup. The city is not important in itself; it's merely a tool.

An athlete should always seek the highest prize. In hockey, that prize is the Stanley Cup. Any hockey athlete who wants to win the WHC gold over the Stanley Cup is being irrational.

Gemini is offline  
Old
05-22-2012, 07:46 AM
  #23
TollefsenFan
Registered User
 
TollefsenFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: K-town
Country: Norway
Posts: 2,104
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuluss View Post
I think they just look different, and this is what makes WC fun to watch. You've got to see Malkin rushing down the wing because the ice is bigger or some vintage Ovechkin because Team Norway apparently does not have a book on him like NHL teams do.
Malkin played against Norway 2 times and ended up with 0 goals and 3 assists Only 1 assist in the QF game and it was on the 5th goal. So Malkin didnt dominate so much in the games vs Norway Ovi scored a lucky goal on us. He shot from behind the goal and hit the goalies skate

TollefsenFan is offline  
Old
05-22-2012, 08:07 AM
  #24
jekoh
Registered User
 
jekoh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 3,726
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
Of course, this is not all that surprising: When you've got little things to be proud of, silly international competitions are valued disproportionately. So, it's not surprising that Americans value international tournaments (in any sports) less than Russians do.
They also value international tournaments less than Norwegians do, so your explanation as to why certain people value international tournaments more than others seems stupid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
An athlete should always seek the highest prize. In hockey, that prize is the Stanley Cup.
The highest prize in hockey is Olympic gold.

jekoh is offline  
Old
05-22-2012, 08:13 AM
  #25
jaeger
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 269
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jekoh View Post
The highest prize in hockey is Olympic gold.
This.

jaeger is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:03 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.