HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > World Junior Championship
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
World Junior Championship Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

alex syomin ?

Closed Thread

Old
05-20-2012, 03:02 PM
dkhockey

vCash: 500
alex syomin ?

not semin.......what the hell ?

Old
05-20-2012, 03:09 PM
Smiddletown

Different countries have different Cyrillic-Latin letter conversion. For instance in some countries you write "Ovetjkin" or "Fyodorov."

Syomin is phonetically more true to Russian pronounciation than "Semin".

Last edited by Smiddletown: 05-20-2012 at 03:40 PM.
Old
05-20-2012, 03:12 PM
tikkanen5rings*

should be Schomin.

Old
05-20-2012, 03:15 PM
Den

Сёмин

Old
05-20-2012, 03:47 PM
Jevo

Sometime ago IIHF made a change in the way Cyrillic is translated into Latin, from what ever way they did before, to the way now, which writes the names as phonetically as possibly. One of the changes is writting the Cyrillic letter ë like yo instead of e. That makes names like Semin, Fedorov and Kovalev into Syomin, Fyodorov and Kovalyov. Semyon Varlamovs first name is already written by this standard, since he requested this to the NHL when he was drafted, since otherwise, his first name would be written Semen. This is also the reason why you see guys like Malkin having their first names written Yevgeni instead og Evgeni.

Old
05-20-2012, 03:58 PM
Jocke

Semin is a stupid translation anyway. Not even close.

Old
05-20-2012, 04:01 PM
begbeee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocke View Post
Yeah, and so was Kovalev and especially Fedorov.

Old
05-20-2012, 04:01 PM
Lui One Hall

http://www.iihf.com/home-of-hockey/n...ash=0f9555f72e

Old
05-20-2012, 04:06 PM
J Murda

You'd think he'd want to use that spelling in the NHL as well.....to avoid all the bad jokes.

Old
05-20-2012, 04:11 PM
Fulcrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocke View Post
Yes, its illiterate. A lot of the first Russian NHLers had no idea how things would be pronounced, so things were spelled best they could.

Old
05-20-2012, 04:12 PM
Jevo

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Murda View Post
You'd think he'd want to use that spelling in the NHL as well.....to avoid all the bad jokes.
NHL have their own standard that they like to use. When Semin got to the NHL he didn't know a lot of English and probably didn't know how his name could be misunderstood. And when he became aware it was too late, the NHL didn't want to change the spelling. It was apparently Semin who advised Varlamov to get his spelling 'corrected' before it was too late, so that he wouldn't be know as Semen Varlamov.

Old
05-20-2012, 08:00 PM
Elvs

vCash: 708
I would like it to become Syomin, Kulyomin and Yemelin in the NHL as well... It's not that hard to spell.

Any other russian NHL'ers that would have their names different had they played in the WC tournament?

Old
05-20-2012, 08:05 PM
Brave Sir Robin

Well, Kovalchuk should be spelled Kovalchook, but I think Russians get weirded out by the double "o"s.

Old
05-20-2012, 08:49 PM
Smiddletown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
Yes, its illiterate. A lot of the first Russian NHLers had no idea how things would be pronounced, so things were spelled best they could.
It's not that chaotic, they're following one of the many standards for converting cyrillic to latin letters. It's just that the chosen standard is not very good.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_romanization as you see it's a bit of a mess.

Old
05-20-2012, 08:54 PM
Run705
The705Collection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jevo View Post
NHL have their own standard that they like to use. When Semin got to the NHL he didn't know a lot of English and probably didn't know how his name could be misunderstood. And when he became aware it was too late, the NHL didn't want to change the spelling. It was apparently Semin who advised Varlamov to get his spelling 'corrected' before it was too late, so that he wouldn't be know as Semen Varlamov.
That's quite the story lol

Old
05-20-2012, 10:42 PM
Xokkeu

What's really funny is listening to the TSN announcers not even make notice of it.

Old
05-20-2012, 10:52 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvstrand View Post
I would like it to become Syomin, Kulyomin and Yemelin in the NHL as well... It's not that hard to spell.

Any other russian NHL'ers that would have their names different had they played in the WC tournament?
I think Yemelin changed it to Emelin himself. During the pre-season he used Yemelin.

Old
05-20-2012, 10:54 PM
wickedwitch

Quote:
A few games into the Rangers series in 2009, there was a newspaper article devoted to how to pronounce Semyon Varlamov.

Old
05-20-2012, 11:05 PM
Thricecube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvstrand View Post

How about ö, ä and å? It's really not that hard for us North Americans to understand "Näslund" or "Lidström".

Old
05-20-2012, 11:54 PM
Hammer Time

I've seen Varlamov's name spelt "Semen", "Simeon", and "Simon" before it became "Semyon". And I still don't know how it's supposed to be pronounced in Russian ...

Old
05-20-2012, 11:55 PM
Xelstyle

Thought there was a new Russian #28 superstar.

Old
05-20-2012, 11:58 PM
llwyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thricecube View Post
How about ö, ä and å? It's really not that hard for us North Americans to understand "Näslund" or "Lidström".
No, it needs super-intelligence, just like being able to follow subtitles...

Old
05-21-2012, 12:47 AM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor View Post
I've seen Varlamov's name spelt "Semen", "Simeon", and "Simon" before it became "Semyon". And I still don't know how it's supposed to be pronounced in Russian ...
It should actually be Syemyon. With the "ye" and the "yo" pronounced how they're written. Semyon is close enough. BUT, it's NOT pronounced Semion, like everyone pronounces it. It's pronounced Sem-yo-n or more closely S-ye-m-yo-n. In the end of the day it's actually neither of those, lol. Because between the "s" and the "ye" and the "m" and the "yo" there's a pause and in Russian it's read without a pause. I wish I could find a website where you can hear how it's pronounced, I looked and couldn't find it. I think my explanation is confusing. Probably the best way to pronounce it is Sem-yo-n, because there's no way for an American to pronounce it without the pause and S-ye-m-yo-n is a little too much. But again it's NOT Semion.

Old
05-21-2012, 01:57 AM
Unagi

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkhockey View Post
not semin.......what the hell ?
I thought it was a wide known fact that his name was not Semin. IMO a reason he doesn't give interviews, I wouldn't either if 2 nations were too stupid to say my name right

Old
05-21-2012, 02:07 AM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Sometime ago IIHF made a change in the way Cyrillic is translated into Latin, from what ever way they did before, to the way now, which writes the names as phonetically as possibly. One of the changes is writting the Cyrillic letter ë like yo instead of e. That makes names like Semin, Fedorov and Kovalev into Syomin, Fyodorov and Kovalyov. Semyon Varlamovs first name is already written by this standard, since he requested this to the NHL when he was drafted, since otherwise, his first name would be written Semen. This is also the reason why you see guys like Malkin having their first names written Yevgeni instead og Evgeni.
Very interesting. Thanks for that post.

Closed Thread