HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

make the ice rinks smaller in europe

Old
05-21-2012, 02:20 PM
nazartp

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank the Tank View Post
IIHF needs to adjust the official boundaries for ice rink dimensions between the current "international" dimensions (maximum) and the NHL-sized ice rinks (minimum). Let the host nation build as they see fit. I know this is done unofficially by the IIHF (e.g., Vancouver 2010 Olympics, numerous under-20 WJHC hosted in Canada, WHC in 2008), but they need to officially embrace the difference in ice dimensions between nations and legitimize this difference.
And what's the point? Both sizes exist as well as the ones in between without any powers-to-be intervention.

Going back to the original suggestion, I also see nothing to be gained by making smaller rinks in Europe. NHL rinks are, arguably, too small for the current size and skill of the NHL players, what's the point of making European rinks smaller? I like the fact that there are two separate standards ultimately bringing more skill diversity to players brought up in different countries.

nazartp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 02:24 PM
WayneBruce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
You watch too many Rangers games. There's varying playing styles in the NHL as well.
Every team basically plays the same style, the difference between playing styles in europe (in the SEL at least) can be much much bigger.

WayneBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 02:31 PM
Mr Kanadensisk

I always found it interesting that despite the European size being the IIHF international standard roughly 70% of the world's arena rinks are built to the NA standard size (according to the IIHF's own survey).

Mr Kanadensisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 02:33 PM
Smiddletown

Well, of course. Most of the rinks are located in North America.

http://www.iihf.com/iihf-home/the-ii...f-players.html

You do realize we're all fans of a pretty small sport on a world-wide scale, right?

Last edited by Smiddletown: 05-21-2012 at 02:40 PM.
Smiddletown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 02:42 PM
Spinkis

Quote:
Originally Posted by YARR123 View Post
room for more audience? How does that make any sense?

Oh right! Football stadiums have such small capacities because the field is so huge!

On a more serious note, I don't see much point. It doesn't make the game more interesting, it makes the game faster and more straightforward, but less skilled. The NHL is exciting because it's the best league in the world, not because it has a smaller rink.
exactly!

Spinkis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 02:42 PM
Latex*
DM is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Kanadensisk View Post
I always found it interesting that despite the European size being the IIHF international standard roughly 70% of the world's arena rinks are built to the NA standard size (according to the IIHF's own survey).
Well no **** sherlock... most rinks are built in North America.

Latex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 02:50 PM
Jussi
No strings on me

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlamov71 View Post
Every team basically plays the same style, the difference between playing styles in europe (in the SEL at least) can be much much bigger.
No they don't.

Jussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 02:57 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Systemfel View Post
Most Swedes don't like them as well.
Most Finns I know dislike the large ice, too.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 02:59 PM
Mr Kanadensisk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiddletown View Post
Well, of course. Most of the rinks are located in North America.

http://www.iihf.com/iihf-home/the-ii...f-players.html

You do realize we're all fans of a pretty small sport on a world-wide scale, right?
hockey is a fringe sport more or less everywhere except in Canada (which in terms of population is a smaller country), what's your point?

I'm simply pointing out that the international standard is hardly the standard in the world.

Mr Kanadensisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 03:01 PM
WayneBruce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
No they don't.
Everything is relative, of course there are differences but you can find much bigger differences in europe.

WayneBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 03:03 PM
canuck2010

I like the idea of a larger NHL surface but also a smaller international size. The International surface is too big I find, not enough happens. The NHL surface is so small for the size and quickness that players don't have enough time and space. Plus it takes too much of a toll physically especially when you factor in the number of games.

canuck2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 03:21 PM
Smiddletown

Quote:
hockey is a fringe sport more or less everywhere except in Canada (which in terms of population is a smaller country), what's your point?

I'm simply pointing out that the international standard is hardly the standard in the world.
The only point I was making was that since most rinks are built in the NA, it's hardly surprising that most rinks are NA-sized. Your post seemed to indicate that you didn't know that, (I know now you do know) and that's what I was responding to.

Smiddletown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 03:37 PM
Theokritos

Another vote for the hybrid size here. So yes, make them smaller in Europe.

Quote:
Yes, that's poor for the World Federation that the IIHF is. On the other hand, it's also poor for the World's Premier League to be out of sync with the World Federation and with Europe while so many players from Europe are in the NHL. Overall it's an unsatisfying state of affairs for the sport of Ice Hockey. Not only the rink size difference, but also the lack of a coordinated schedule (NHL-playoffs vs World Championship).

Theokritos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 04:08 PM
wings5

It depends, even Russians going over for the first time to North America playing on that size of rink in the u-17's u-18 or WJC have said in interviews they don't mind it and find it interesting how much faster the game is.

wings5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 04:18 PM
Kshahdoo

With all those concussions making rinks smaller sounds strange and stupid...

Kshahdoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 04:53 PM
QnebO

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkhockey View Post
actually i don´t think the US and canada have anything to gain by this........but the russians and all others euros would have a better game to show their audience
When jari kurri (1398 NHL Points) said that NHL would be more entertaining and better with big ice, i started to actually rethink this.

Kurri is not a god, but a respectable word when he says something about the game. Small ice gives more value for good team game and physical game, big ice perfers individual skill, puck carrying in stead of dumping.

In finland i've seen lots of games in the middle sized rink (28m wide) and I think its the best solution. Its suprising how much speed it brings, but it still leaves room for skilled invidiuals to pull out something of their bag more oftenly than in small ice.

Sadly Hartwall has the big ice, but for non finns, i recommend to watch the czech hockey games, Im pretty sure they have 27-28m rink in that eht tournament, it allways looks that fast there.

Last edited by QnebO: 05-21-2012 at 04:59 PM.
QnebO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 05:06 PM
kp61c

Each type has its own advantages and disadvantages. the constant bombardment of concussions (increased rate of traumas) in nhl looks looks particularly nasty

kp61c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 05:16 PM
LiveeviL
No unique points

vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to LiveeviL
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlamov71 View Post
The rinks are too small in the NHL, players are much bigger these days and they are starting to grow out of their rinks. The rinks we have in the SEL are too big, the game is slow and boring. The hybrid rinks are probably the best.
I agree with the first part. Players are faster, stronger and bigger these days. We see a lot of ideas being thrown around in order to minimize injuries, as the old offside rules. Bigger ice could be one way for the NHL to deal with it. Sure most might not like it, but if one has to chose between a lot of changes which one does not like then changing the size of the rink could be one thing.

And yes, I do like big ice and I have not seen any poll where for examples Swedes say that they do not like it. That many vocal Swede around here says that they do not like big ice is another thing.

LiveeviL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 05:20 PM
Danish Pastry
this is dream!

i would love to see an nhl game on one of the hybrid rinks... i havent seen any games on it yet...

i like the smaller NA rinks much better than the big 200/98 rinks but would love to see some hybrid not enough physicality for me on the large surface but i can see how the smaller rink size is getting very dangerous with the athletes that are in the nhl now...

Danish Pastry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 05:29 PM
Jeepers Creeper

I definitely prefer NHL sized rinks. Among other things one thing I hate about the bigger ice is that teams on a PP can carry the puck so easily in the offensive zone and set up the PP formation without much effort.

Jeepers Creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 05:35 PM
puckfan13

I wish the NHL had a range of size each team could adopt as their rink size. It would make playing in different rinks unique and the team would always have a certain style. Like baseball. There is something like this in the OHL with Belleville's Olympic ice and the old Toronto St. Mike's Majors' barn.

puckfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 05:46 PM
Robin Hood

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkhockey View Post
why not just make the ice smaller in europe, to NHL specs....=...room for more audience and thereby more profit , better action, easier to adjust to NHL for euros...........it´s all win !
It's actually all lose.

In Europe we don't care about profit, we care about hockey. Profit exists for the sake of hockey, hockey does not excist for the sake of profit. Why would any fan care about profit? All it does is ruin the spirit of the game Games are rarely sold out anyway. And they sure as hell are not gonna be if we transfer good hockey to the dump and chase, crash and bang, trap "hockey" played on small ice. Only a tiny elite of the best players in the world are able to play proper hockey on small ice. Not sure what you mean with "better action". Maybe it's a typo Couldn't care less about how much better they adjust to NHL.

Robin Hood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 06:25 PM
Sens91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sovand View Post
It's actually all lose.

In Europe we don't care about profit, we care about hockey. Profit exists for the sake of hockey, hockey does not excist for the sake of profit. Why would any fan care about profit? All it does is ruin the spirit of the game Games are rarely sold out anyway. And they sure as hell are not gonna be if we transfer good hockey to the dump and chase, crash and bang, trap "hockey" played on small ice. Only a tiny elite of the best players in the world are able to play proper hockey on small ice. Not sure what you mean with "better action". Maybe it's a typo Couldn't care less about how much better they adjust to NHL.
I don't think it was a typo, the game is more exciting as a whole on smaller ice. That being said I'd like to see a game on the hybrid ice, seems like that might be the best bet.

Sens91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 07:25 PM
Street Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by pucky View Post
Hybrid rinks are the best option just because it offers a lot of versatility. But, a compromise would allow to maintain the physical play but still allow more room.

The bigger ice surface means there's more time to adapt so they can avoid hits or have more time to think to make plays. On the smaller rinks, there's less time to react. At least, that is the theory. There's adv. and disadv. for both sizes of rinks but the most common statement on changing a small rink size to one bigger, is the loss of profits due to that taking out the lower level seats. So, it's much easier to make the case to go the other way.
As long as people are not using the Olympics in Vancouver, WC in Quebec City, or any Olympics/World Championships in the big rink to make their case that one is better. When you only have the best/top players in the world playing in a short tournament, the hockey is going to be much better than anything you see in the regular season and parts of the playoffs.

The Vancouver Olympics, the big 7 nations (Can, USA, Swe, Fin, Rus, CZE, Skv), account for upwards of 130 odd roster spots, plus a few from Belarus, Germany, Switzerland, etc., there were maybe what, about 150 NHLers at the Olympics. There are 700 players in the NHL on the 30 teams.

Whether you play on big ice or small ice, if you have great talent playing the game, it will be fun to watch. If you have the 600th or so best player in the NHL playing on either big or small ice, it's not going to be great....

Street Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 07:56 PM
Coramoor

I'm on board for a 92 foot rink, middle ground type of thing, it definitely seems like the nhl players are getting too big. But even an 8 foot edition could cause all kinds of problems. If the NHL wants to do it, with so many new arenas coming up, they have to mandate it soon

Coramoor is offline   Reply With Quote