HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

FINAL: Where does Nash end up?

Old
05-21-2012, 09:23 PM
klog1

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyShack View Post
I would trade Nash for Marleau.
I bet you would. I hope you don't mean straight up though.

klog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 09:59 PM
DangleDman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangleDman View Post
You must evaluate skill set, size, age, work ethic, and character.... Stats are not necessarily the end all be all when determining value, because the player's teammates play such a large role in that category.
I don't know how many times this has to be posted for people to understand its importance.

DangleDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 10:24 PM
DangleDman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
True, but if I had to choose between those two or Burmistrov, I'm taking Burmistrov.

Winnipeg, to me, would make logical sense for these reasons.
1) Claude Noel was an assistant for a few years in Columbus and interim head coach; he and Nash apparently did not dislike each other. Whether they got along great or not is unknown.
2) Noel was caught a couple weeks ago talking about how Burmistrov had no business being in the NHL either of the last two seasons. Although Burmistrov's point totals improved from his first to his second year, his game didn't look to have improved at all.
3) Burmistrov is not currently producing; adding Nash in his place up front would add an additional 30 goals to a team that was within striking distance of the playoffs.
4) Every defenseman on the team looked better last year than the year before, with the exception of Tobias Enstrom. Even fully healthy, he probably wouldn't have hit 40 points for the first time since his second NHL season. Enstrom has never been a goal scorer, but he didn't produce much in the way of offense.
5) Arturs Kulda is NHL-ready, but his path is currently blocked. Byfuglien and Hainsey both have NTCs, while Clitsome, Stuart, and Bogosian wouldn't be moved except for a high price. That would leave Enstrom as the odd man out.
6) Paul Postma may be ready to step in as the 7th defenseman, and he's in the same situation.
7) Winnipeg has the salary cap space to get a deal done.
8) Winnipeg has a slew of young forwards who would need the guidance and example of what they can become...Kane, Little, and Scheifele especially.
9) The likelihood of the 9th overall pick this year being able to step in and produce is not particularly high.

Would a deal of Nash for Burmistrov, Enstrom, and the 9th overall pick be done? Perhaps the initial acquisition of Jeff Carter last year is the most comparable. The 9th overall in this year's draft is worth less than 8th last year; 8th last year was going to have one of Zibanejad, Ryan Murphy, Hamilton, or Couturier available. This year's pick is much more up in the air.

Burmistrov isn't quite on the level of what Voracek was. Voracek had produced seasons of 38, 50, and 46 points in his three seasons; Burmistrov has 28 career points. Burmistrov, as a defensive forward, is better positionally and around the net; Voracek was much better around the boards and in the physical department.

Carter was traded for what was universally regarded as a discount, and had a reputation as an off-ice headache and someone who came up small in big games. Whether either of those is deserved isn't something I'm getting into, but that was the perception.

Basically, two superior pieces were traded to get a player lesser than Nash, at a discount. Enstrom is the difference. That's how I see it anyway.
I'm not as high on Burmistrov as you are, and I don't think they'll part with Enstrom that easily... However I would be happy if the transaction were to happen.

My ideal trade would be Nash, &
3 RD 12' to Calgary for Baertschi, Bouwmeester, 1 RD 12'. Bouwmeester has a heafty price tag over the next couple years, but is something that the CBJ would need to absorb to make this work.

Old
05-21-2012, 10:56 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mika Zibanejad View Post
Yeah, I suppose San Jose doesn't have much else if they're not willing to move Couture.

According to Capgeek, neither Havlat, Burns or Clowe have NTC's.

That doesn't sound right.
Burns and Clowe do not, Havlat is a question mark. Burns is untouchable though.

hockeyball is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 10:59 PM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangleDman View Post
I'm not as high on Burmistrov as you are, and I don't think they'll part with Enstrom that easily... However I would be happy if the transaction were to happen.

My ideal trade would be Nash, &
3 RD 12' to Calgary for Baertschi, Bouwmeester, 1 RD 12'. Bouwmeester has a heafty price tag over the next couple years, but is something that the CBJ would need to absorb to make this work.
i don't know enough about Baertschi to say an emphatic yes or no on this...I've always like JayBo and our defense would be one of the top notch if we were to pull this off...just don't know what wingers we will get to score goals....

Fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 11:12 PM
DangleDman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fro View Post
i don't know enough about Baertschi to say an emphatic yes or no on this...I've always like JayBo and our defense would be one of the top notch if we were to pull this off...just don't know what wingers we will get to score goals....
The fact that he played with Johansen in Portland is intriguing, and he was successful in his short stint with Calgary this year. Check out his #s from the CHL. I'm excited about the potential here.

Old
05-21-2012, 11:33 PM
Rorschach
Fearful Symmetry

I wonder if LA has played themselves on to Nash's list now....ironically, LA is willing to offer less now.

But, LA does have the cap room if Nash is upgrading Penner.

That size, speed and scoring talent must be intriguing to even a team as deep as LA.

Rorschach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 11:47 PM
Scurr

Quote:
The reality is that Vancouver does not hold the cards or the leverage on goalies. It's widely known that Tampa and Toronto are looking for goalies...there are some mid-range UFAs, plus the possibility of Tim Thomas being made available. There may be European goalies coming over. But there are more potential high-level starters than there are teams that need high-level starters. Were I the GM, it wouldn't matter if Gillis agrees, hangs up the phone, and calls me a jerk. It wouldn't matter if he publicly says it. It doesn't matter if he deals with the criticism by calling me every name in the book...my job would be to get the best deal for my team possible, and if he literally hates me because of it, T.S.
I've heard this sentiment from Leafs fans as well. It might be what you would do, it might even be the right move, but it's not something Howsen or Burke can afford to do at this point in their tenures. Both are on the hot seat, both need to show improvement this season. The time for moral victories is over, they need to win. The best way for them to do that is land an elite level goalie. Thomas is one who might be available, but I wouldn't risk my job on some guy coming over from Europe or Josh Harding or any other goalie out of the discount bin. I doubt they will either.

Scurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 12:08 AM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniverStalinGraduate View Post
I'm confused...what exactly do you think San Jose would be willing to offer that the Jackets would want?

Considering how every Sharks fan has said there's no way Couture is going anywhere and the Sharks have nothing of young high end value other than him.

Same with the Leafs and the Rangers...what is the high end stuff these teams would be willing to move for Nash that's so much more valuable than what Montreal would?
If I were the GM of Columbus, and a deal was made with San Jose, Nash would be going nowhere and I'd be bringing Joe Thornton to Ohio. The parameters would be much the same as my suggested Luongo machinations above...we're doing you a favor by taking a huge cap hit off your hands, here's a lesser replacement to assist with your rebuild, now hang up the phone and feel free to call me all sorts of obscenities in public.

San Jose is in a situation very much like "The Devil and Daniel Webster". They have an aging core (Thornton, Marleau, Boyle) that is:
- expensive
- declining
- locked in with NTCs

The story of "The Devil and Daniel Webster" is simple. A man trades his soul to the devil for worldly fame and wealth. When he dies, he had two options. One was to simply accept his agreed fate, and the other was to fight it. So he had Daniel Webster fight on his behalf.

San Jose is in the same situation. Their choices are only two: they can either accept their fate, which is that they must rebuild and go forward with a core of Pavelski, Couture, Vlasic, etc. Or they can fight against impossible odds, and attempt to get even older and more expensive for what may be one last shot before that window closes for good on this core.

With the tide seemingly turning against San Jose, as the early exit and the expressions of disappointment from ownership after that, they may simply have to bite the bullet and rebuild. And if that means trading Thornton, Marleau, and Boyle in short order, then that's what it means.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 12:17 AM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

Quote:
The story of "The Devil and Daniel Webster" is simple. A man trades his soul to the devil for worldly fame and wealth. When he dies, he had two options. One was to simply accept his agreed fate, and the other was to fight it. So he had Daniel Webster fight on his behalf.

San Jose is in the same situation. Their choices are only two: they can either accept their fate, which is that they must rebuild and go forward with a core of Pavelski, Couture, Vlasic, etc. Or they can fight against impossible odds, and attempt to get even older and more expensive for what may be one last shot before that window closes for good on this core.
love a good The Devil and Daniel Webster reference. Walter Huston is amazing as the devil in the 1942 film, but i'd be remiss if i didn't mention Faust as the better comparison. What great statesman is going to rescue San Jose? Doug Wilson is no Daniel Webster.

Crafton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 12:18 AM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
I've heard this sentiment from Leafs fans as well. It might be what you would do, it might even be the right move, but it's not something Howsen or Burke can afford to do at this point in their tenures. Both are on the hot seat, both need to show improvement this season. The time for moral victories is over, they need to win. The best way for them to do that is land an elite level goalie. Thomas is one who might be available, but I wouldn't risk my job on some guy coming over from Europe or Josh Harding or any other goalie out of the discount bin. I doubt they will either.
With merely average goaltending this year, Columbus would have been 15-20 points better than they actually were. That's not even taking the many injuries to key players into account, that's simply a matter of goaltending. To give you an example of how depleted the defense was, John Moore (a rookie who was pegged to spend the season in the AHL) led the team's defensemen in games played with 67. Fedor Tyutin was next with 66, then Aaron Johnson (a veteran who was supposed to spend the year in the AHL, and is worse in all aspects of the game than Brett Lebda) with 56.

Despite what people may say, Howson is not a dummy. He's 52 years old and still has another 15-20 years in the world of hockey, and he's not going to sabotage his chances down the road by making a bunch of ill-advised moves...basically, the proverbial "throwing crap and seeing what sticks". If Josh Harding is available for either a very small outlay or nothing but salary, compared to having to lay out significant assets in a wildly sporadic goaltending market, I'll wager on the former actually happening.

This is yet another game of brinksmanship being played among many sides. There are Howson, Burke, and Yzerman looking to acquire. There's Gillis and Chiarelli looking to ship out. There are variables like Harding and Vokoun and Montoya who could spoil everything. How badly do Gillis and Chiarelli want to make moves? Who's going to blink first? If they sit on their hands for too long, they run the risk of the three buyers all finding solutions, and then they're stuck with what they have and the resulting fallout....that's the salary, the cap hit, the roster logjam, and the controversy. One of those sellers will blink first, because they simply have no choice. It's no different than the sellers of UFAs at the deadline. They'll blink because they need to get something, and getting something is better than the status quo.

Old
05-22-2012, 12:23 AM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost in Crafton View Post
love a good The Devil and Daniel Webster reference. Walter Huston is amazing as the devil in the 1942 film, but i'd be remiss if i didn't mention Faust as the better comparison. What great statesman is going to rescue San Jose? Doug Wilson is no Daniel Webster.
I don't care who rescues San Jose; I simply care that Joe Thornton ends up in Columbus with a minimal outlay of assets going the other way.

We know nothing about what's taken place behind the scenes. For all we know, Wilson has been told to move Boyle, Marleau, and Thornton...and for all we know, Thornton may have said "Columbus or San Jose, nowhere else". The NTCs and NMCs, combined with the age and salary, have certainly pinned the Sharks in a tough place.

Old
05-22-2012, 12:48 AM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
This is yet another game of brinksmanship being played among many sides. There are Howson, Burke, and Yzerman looking to acquire. There's Gillis and Chiarelli looking to ship out. There are variables like Harding and Vokoun and Montoya who could spoil everything. How badly do Gillis and Chiarelli want to make moves? Who's going to blink first? If they sit on their hands for too long, they run the risk of the three buyers all finding solutions, and then they're stuck with what they have and the resulting fallout....that's the salary, the cap hit, the roster logjam, and the controversy. One of those sellers will blink first, because they simply have no choice. It's no different than the sellers of UFAs at the deadline. They'll blink because they need to get something, and getting something is better than the status quo.
And on the flip side, all it takes is one of those GM's to see they desperately need a goaltender and that one of the premier goaltenders in the league is available when those types of player generally aren't.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 01:03 AM
Scurr

Quote:
You're overstating the importance of moving a goalie to both franchises. Neither has to blink. They've both had pretty good success with their current situation, unlike those of Howsen, Burke and Yzerman.

All the things that CBJ fans have said about Nash wanting to move are also true of Luongo. He is a good teammate, he won't pout.

Schneider has more leverage but not a lot. He can sign an offer sheet. The Canucks will match. Then he's stuck for a year for sure. His only way out is to sign his qualifying offer and that means playing out this year with a 10% raise. Maybe he does that, I doubt it.

Gillis is setting himself up to increase the market by making both goalies available. Neither bridge is burnt. He'll find a significant offer or roll with both. It's a much more dangerous game for a team needing a goaltender then it is for the Canucks. The worst thing that can happen is Schneider leaves next season for nothing. That's not ideal, but not the end of the world. Our team is already good and already has some promising young pieces.

Old
05-22-2012, 01:08 AM
Arrch

Quote:
Or they can trade away some of the older core for younger pieces and retool; it's not like Nash or rebuild are the only options.

Arrch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 01:08 AM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
And on the flip side, all it takes is one of those GM's to see they desperately need a goaltender and that one of the premier goaltenders in the league is available when those types of player generally aren't.
Premier goaltenders who also is on the downswing of his career.

Don't forget that Tim Thomas has an NTC that expires on July 1. There's absolutely no guarantee that he decides to play elsewhere instead of retiring, since he is 38 and is due a pay cut this year from $5 million to $3 million. And if he retires, his new team is on the hook for that $5 million cap hit anyway.

From how I see it, there are five starting goalies who will be available: Thomas, Luongo, Harding, Vokoun, and Montoya. There are three teams who are definitely looking for a starting goalie. But don't forget that the biggest goalie stories of the year were the reclamation projects, those being Mike Smith, Brian Elliott, and Craig Anderson. None of them was wanted by their previous team, or really anyone else around the league. Is it really worth laying out significant assets if someone can be found in free agency or out of the trade scrap heap?

This is not the time to have an upper-echelon goalie that needs moved. The goalie market is too inconsistent, and the return on such a goalie goes down every time that Mike Smith makes a stop.

Old
05-22-2012, 01:13 AM
hockeyball

Quote:
If I were the GM of Columbus, and a deal was made with San Jose, Nash would be going nowhere and I'd be bringing Joe Thornton to Ohio. The parameters would be much the same as my suggested Luongo machinations above...we're doing you a favor by taking a huge cap hit off your hands, here's a lesser replacement to assist with your rebuild, now hang up the phone and feel free to call me all sorts of obscenities in public.

San Jose is in a situation very much like "The Devil and Daniel Webster". They have an aging core (Thornton, Marleau, Boyle) that is:
- expensive
- declining
- locked in with NTCs

With the tide seemingly turning against San Jose, as the early exit and the expressions of disappointment from ownership after that, they may simply have to bite the bullet and rebuild. And if that means trading Thornton, Marleau, and Boyle in short order, then that's what it means.
I think that's over-stating things a bit. These guys are 32-33 (aside from Boyle) not approaching 40. Aging is not really the issue, this season, if you watched the Sharks regularly, was a combination of terrible coaching, too much turn-over last season leading to chemistry issues, spotty goal-tending and all of that led to a lack of confidence.

Now that said, the Sharks are too slow, it's not an age issue so much as a conscious decision to acquire guys like Handzus, White, and retaining guys like Clowe and Murray.

You were very eloquent, but you missed the real issues entirely. This is not a bad team, this is not even a declining team, this was just a bad year, it happens. Get some better coaching next season (looks like McLellan is staying but the assistants will be replaced), get a little faster, and maybe an upgrade in goal (likely internally) and this is still an 'elite' team next season.

We need to trade out a few slow players for a few fast players, or if we are going to perform a mini-rebuild, send a vet or two packing for picks, prospects, and young players. We don't need Rick Nash, he doesn't fit into either scenario. He's too expensive and is only clearly better than a couple of players who cost a lot less than he does (Clowe, Havlat).

Also, just FYI, Doug Wilson made a comment about 'us' being wrong about Heatley's NTC as well when asked if he could move anyone this off season. So some players may not be as immovable as it seems.

hockeyball is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 01:14 AM
Scurr

Quote:
Thomas, Luongo, Harding, Vokoun, and Montoya.
Vokoun signed with the Locamotiv (sp?) in the KHL and Thomas may or may not be available. Are you seriously including Montoya? I wouldn't risk an hours pay never mind my job on a guy like that.

Harding, I would say, is an option for Tampa. He fits the Detroit model and I wouldn't say Yzerman is on the hot seat. I doubt he's the kind of guy the other two want to risk their jobs on.

Old
05-22-2012, 01:14 AM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrch View Post
Or they can trade away some of the older core for younger pieces and retool; it's not like Nash or rebuild are the only options.
I was going for "retool" rather than "rebuild". San Jose gets enough production out of their younger and medium-aged players that a full-blown rebuild would not be needed.

The other question is what the rumored availability of Brad Stuart to the Pacific coast would mean for the Sharks going forward. Do they sign him and try to move Boyle? Do they sign him and let Vandermeer and/or White walk away? Do they throw a token offer at him, but bank on Nick Petrecki being ready?

Old
05-22-2012, 01:20 AM
Peter Griffin

Quote:
Premier goaltenders who also is on the downswing of his career.
Says who? One season ago Luongo was a finalist for the Vezina.

Quote:
From how I see it, there are five starting goalies who will be available: Thomas, Luongo, Harding, Vokoun, and Montoya.

Only 3 of those goalies has ever been a starter and one of them, Vokoun, is apparently considering playing in the KHL. Since when are Harding and Montoya NHL calibre starters?

Quote:
There are three teams who are definitely looking for a starting goalie. But don't forget that the biggest goalie stories of the year were the reclamation projects, those being Mike Smith, Brian Elliott, and Craig Anderson.
And two of those goaltenders are largely products of the systems they play in. One year ago Mike Smith was sucking in Tampa Bay. One year ago Ilya Bryzgalov was considered one of the best goaltenders in the NHL.

Quote:
This is not the time to have an upper-echelon goalie that needs moved. The goalie market is too inconsistent, and the return on such a goalie goes down every time that Mike Smith makes a stop.
I don't buy this at all. Put Mike Smith in any other system, and he doesn't look nearly as good. Same goes for Brian Elliot. You can put Roberto Luongo in any system, in front of any team and he will give you solid goaltending. Same can't neccessarily be said for most of the other options, and that's the risk GM's will be taking.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 01:28 AM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
I think that's over-stating things a bit. These guys are 32-33 (aside from Boyle) not approaching 40. Aging is not really the issue, this season, if you watched the Sharks regularly, was a combination of terrible coaching, too much turn-over last season leading to chemistry issues, spotty goal-tending and all of that led to a lack of confidence.

Now that said, the Sharks are too slow, it's not an age issue so much as a conscious decision to acquire guys like Handzus, White, and retaining guys like Clowe and Murray.

You were very eloquent, but you missed the real issues entirely. This is not a bad team, this is not even a declining team, this was just a bad year, it happens. Get some better coaching next season (looks like McLellan is staying but the assistants will be replaced), get a little faster, and maybe an upgrade in goal (likely internally) and this is still an 'elite' team next season.

We need to trade out a few slow players for a few fast players, or if we are going to perform a mini-rebuild, send a vet or two packing for picks, prospects, and young players. We don't need Rick Nash, he doesn't fit into either scenario. He's too expensive and is only clearly better than a couple of players who cost a lot less than he does (Clowe, Havlat).

Also, just FYI, Doug Wilson made a comment about 'us' being wrong about Heatley's NTC as well when asked if he could move anyone this off season. So some players may not be as immovable as it seems.
I've watched a decent amount of San Jose over the last few years; it's a fun team to watch. That's what made this year so strange...it bore no resemblance to the previous post-lockout years. The lack of speed was certainly apparent, but everything was just kind of disjointed and never got going.

What troubled me to some extent was, as the season progressed, the games became slower and slower. What we started to see bore more resemblance to the pre-lockout game than the post-lockout, which should have played right into the hands of the slower, veteran Sharks. But this team went .500 the entire second half of the season and looked to meander aimlessly through several games down the stretch. From where I was sitting, it didn't look like coaching; it looked like a lot of guys who were slowing down.

I may be completely off the mark, but that's how I saw it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
Vokoun signed with the Locamotiv (sp?) in the KHL and Thomas may or may not be available. Are you seriously including Montoya? I wouldn't risk an hours pay never mind my job on a guy like that.

Harding, I would say, is an option for Tampa. He fits the Detroit model and I wouldn't say Yzerman is on the hot seat. I doubt he's the kind of guy the other two want to risk their jobs on.
I haven't seen any confirmation or any definitive follow-up on Vokoun to the KHL. If a deal hasn't been done, I'd have to imagine he'd sign there around July 10 if he doesn't have an NHL offer in hand.

Montoya...I don't think he's as bad as he looked at the end of last season. The last week of the season killed his overall numbers, but I don't think he was bad at all the rest of the season.

Old
05-22-2012, 10:20 AM
blinkman360
CdH for Norris

Part of me wonders if the Islanders will end up making a play for Nash. They are miles below the cap and still have money coming off the books(Parenteau, Eaton and Jurcina alone come out to almost $6M off the cap).

If they decide to let Parenteau walk and aren't sold on Strome shifting to the wing, OR if they just want some proven talent instead of more 19-20 year old kids, I could almost see them attempt to make a power move for Nash.

I would assume Strome and the 4th pick would probably be the main pieces. Not sure what else would need to be added but I'm assuming whatever it is wouldn't be crazy valuable.

CBJ can then take whichever forward they prefer with the 2nd pick, and then will have an almost 100% chance of Murray being availalbe with the 4th pick.

Isles can then stick Nash on the wing of Tavares, opposite Moulson, giving the Isles a legit 1st line. Whatever dollars remain can be used to bring in a top-4 like Rozsival, then they can fill in the remaining 2-spots with youth(Donovan, deHaan, maybe even a surprise candidate like Katic).

I know it's a lot of salary to take on, as well as a lot of youth to give up, but I think the potential reward is huge. Absolutely enormous. You need to at least consider it.

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 10:44 AM
Arrch

Quote:
I was going for "retool" rather than "rebuild". San Jose gets enough production out of their younger and medium-aged players that a full-blown rebuild would not be needed.

The other question is what the rumored availability of Brad Stuart to the Pacific coast would mean for the Sharks going forward. Do they sign him and try to move Boyle? Do they sign him and let Vandermeer and/or White walk away? Do they throw a token offer at him, but bank on Nick Petrecki being ready?
The only reason to move Boyle at this point would be if we won the lottery and signed Suter, or could get a younger, left handed puck mover+ for him. White won't even receive a call from Doug Wilson and I doubt Vandermeer picks up the phone. Assuming Murray is moved, that leaves us with the need for two right side puck movers. One of the may be Stuart and they might look at acquiring another through trade/free agency.

Last edited by Arrch: 05-22-2012 at 10:52 AM.
Arrch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 10:53 AM
Xoggz22

One thing to keep in mind with all the trade banter and team discussions is that most of the significant trades are likely to be made prior to the draft. Obviously there will be some made between the draft and July 1st and there's always a surprise after major UFA season ends when the dust settles.

My point would be if a team is going to gamble on a player like Parise coming to them but they have interest in Nash they have a choice to make. Sacrifice pieces and get something you think you need or want or gamble and hope you sign Parise. The same is true for Luongo to a degree. He's (or Schneider I suppose) likely to be moved prior to or during the draft. It's a tough decision that GM's have to make. If you really have that hole on your team to fill most prefer to fill it via trade unless you are a cap team with an open checkbook to recover from mistakes in free agency (ie. Rangers). Columbus is NOT one of those teams

Xoggz22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 10:57 AM
Toastman

To the Habs for Gomez, Bealieu, Tinordi and 1st in 2013

Toastman is offline   Reply With Quote