HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Tortorellaís tactics canít rescue Rangers

Old
05-22-2012, 08:28 AM
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

vCash: 500
Tortorellaís tactics canít rescue Rangers

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...6KfecPX1EZ4BRO

Quote:
This was about the Rangersí inability to play a 60-minute game for the fourth time in four games in a Battle of the Hudson that is tilting west.

This is about the Rangers having scored nine goals in the series, seven of them in the third period against an opponent whose forecheck has the Blueshirts on the run.

This is about an opponent that isnít Ottawa or Washington, but rather a bona fide contender for the Stanley Cup, the first one the Rangers have faced in the tournament.

GregSirico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 08:36 AM
evilllempire*

Send a message via AIM to evilllempire*
i think Brooksie has a good point. We need to play harder when the puck drops.......

evilllempire* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 08:38 AM
Riche16
Pessimistic-Realist

The first two points are dead on. Not so sure about the 3rd.

Riche16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 08:38 AM
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilllempire View Post
i think Brooksie has a good point. We need to play harder when the puck drops.......
There is a lot of truth to the face that we are not putting our best effort forward. We can't keep relying on Hank to stand on his head to win a game. We need to take the puck and shove it down their throat! Control the puck, control the game, dictate the pace, score goals, put them on their heels and never give in.

Old
05-22-2012, 08:42 AM
evilllempire*

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregSirico View Post
There is a lot of truth to the face that we are not putting our best effort forward. We can't keep relying on Hank to stand on his head to win a game. We need to take the puck and shove it down their throat! Control the puck, control the game, dictate the pace, score goals, put them on their heels and never give in.
Play every shift like it's your LAST. Why can't this team play with desperation? If they played 60 minutes (pfff....even 40 minutes) like they play the last 10 when they are down, Rangers would win handily against these Devils. Bit we only seem to play about 10-20 minutes a game. Why? Nobody knows?

Old
05-22-2012, 08:42 AM
Matt Carle Place
Man Gravity Forgot

Quote:
The problem is that Torts' system does none of this. Dump and Chase, Chip Pucks Around the Boards Blindly and Right into a Pinching Defenseman, Compact in front of Lundqvist so we can block shots and clog lanes but lose every race to the puck at the boards, 3 Man Cycle Behind the Net with No one in Front. We defer the puck way too much and give the other team the ability to control the puck and the game. Combine that with how fatigued they are and it's a recipe for disaster.

Matt Carle Place is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 08:46 AM
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacTruck Good Answer View Post
The problem is that Torts' system does none of this. Dump and Chase, Chip Pucks Around the Boards Blindly and Right into a Pinching Defenseman, Compact in front of Lundqvist so we can block shots and clog lanes but lose every race to the puck at the boards, 3 Man Cycle Behind the Net with No one in Front. We defer the puck way too much and give the other team the ability to control the puck and the game. Combine that with how fatigued they are and it's a recipe for disaster.
Completely agree!

Old
05-22-2012, 08:48 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

The thing that has been driving me nuts is that the players go around and around and then just throw a pass blindly in front of the net hoping someone is there (many times there's no one even close). It looks like my beer league team. This is not something that I saw this Rangers team doing when they were being successful.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 08:49 AM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Quote:
Agree 100%. I know there was another thread on it, but the blind chipping in the defensive zone is what leads to those "even strength powerplays" as I like to call them: when the Devils control the puck for extended amounts of time in our own zone and we can't seem to do **** about it.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
evilllempire*

Quote:
so Torts System is the reason why we can't create ANY OFFENSE

but why does this team screw up rushes more than ANY OTHER TEAM I have seen?

No way to put it, but they F'ing Blow on their offensive rushes. The botch passes, go offside, have no creativity whatsoever play after play. What is up with that?

Old
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots View Post
Agree 100%. I know there was another thread on it, but the blind chipping in the defensive zone is what leads to those "even strength powerplays" as I like to call them: when the Devils control the puck for extended amounts of time in our own zone and we can't seem to do **** about it.
Exactly why we need to change our approach.

Old
05-22-2012, 08:51 AM
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

Quote:
so Torts System is the reason why we can't create ANY OFFENSE

but why does this team screw up rushes more than ANY OTHER TEAM I have seen?

No way to put it, but they F'ing Blow on their offensive rushes. The botch passes, go offside, have no creativity whatsoever play after play. What is up with that?
Lack of talent? I don't know. Can't explain it any more than that. This is probably the best defensive team in the NHL, but the lack of offensive punch is just mind blowing.

Old
05-22-2012, 08:53 AM
Matt Carle Place
Man Gravity Forgot

Quote:
Exactly why we need to change our approach.
We won't though. It's too late and Torts is a stubborn mule. He hasn't changed his strategy once, he just likes to keeping throwing **** at the wall and hopes it sticks. Someone mentioned in another thread that dumping and chasing against the Devils is retarded because Brodeur will just come out and control the puck. Our "strategy" works against us and Tortorella has made no adjustments whatsoever. Sheer heart and will power can only lead you so far, Tortorella isn't putting our team in a position to succeed and it is frustrating.

Old
05-22-2012, 08:58 AM
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

Quote:
We won't though. It's too late and Torts is a stubborn mule. He hasn't changed his strategy once, he just likes to keeping throwing **** at the wall and hopes it sticks. Someone mentioned in another thread that dumping and chasing against the Devils is retarded because Brodeur will just come out and control the puck. Our "strategy" works against us and Tortorella has made no adjustments whatsoever. Sheer heart and will power can only lead you so far, Tortorella isn't putting our team in a position to succeed and it is frustrating.
:'( ugh

Old
05-22-2012, 08:58 AM
SnowblindNYR

What bothers me most is that the Devils are just not that good. They can forecheck well but can't finish. We played our worst game of the playoffs and one of the worst of the season and they still only scored 3 goals. They dominated the Flyers in their own zone and also couldn't score more than 3 and that's the Flyers. They defend decently, but they wouldn't look nearly as good if their forecheck didn't pin the other team in its zone. These SC conference finals has a bunch of weak teams in it.

Edit: Forgot Brodeur acting as a 3rd D-man. That and their forecheck is all that they do well. Everything else is blah.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 08:59 AM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

I do think if/when the Rangers get more offensive talent, he's going to have to open it up a bit.

I mentioned this before, I'm wondering with Tortorella preaching defense all the time, is it taking away from the offense?

There's no way this team should be this bad on odd man rushes and the PP.

They look like they're not coached when it comes to offense.

Reminds me of a NBA team that has a defensive minded coach but that coach is clueless about offense.

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 09:01 AM
evilllempire*

Quote:
Lack of talent? I don't know. Can't explain it any more than that. This is probably the best defensive team in the NHL, but the lack of offensive punch is just mind blowing.
i kind of feel like Torts has instilled and preached such a Basic and Kepp it Simple Chip it in mentality, that they are robots out there on offense. When they do get the puck for an offensive rush, they skate North South ONLY. I have never ever seen this team criss cross, slow down, or do anything to let the play develop It's like, Oh, see puck, me skate puck straight up, me shoot soft wrister from the outside. Other teams curl, criss cross, make plays to open guys (that also entails players riving to the net, which we NEVER do).

It's mind boggling how bad of a team we are when we get rushes. It never seems to fail that we botch the play up. F'ing Torts got this team to ZERO CREATIVITY nor OFFENSIVE CAPABILITIES.

This is why Kreider has scored 5 goals and been a factor. He hasn't been with thi team long enough to be turned into a Torts Robot/Zombie. Unfortunately, just wait till next season. He'll have Kreider looking like Pruster out there

Old
05-22-2012, 09:07 AM
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

Quote:
i kind of feel like torts has instilled and preached such a basic and kepp it simple chip it in mentality, that they are robots out there on offense. When they do get the puck for an offensive rush, they skate north south only. I have never ever seen this team criss cross, slow down, or do anything to let the play develop it's like, oh, see puck, me skate puck straight up, me shoot soft wrister from the outside. Other teams curl, criss cross, make plays to open guys (that also entails players riving to the net, which we never do).

It's mind boggling how bad of a team we are when we get rushes. It never seems to fail that we botch the play up. F'ing torts got this team to zero creativity nor offensive capabilities.

This is why kreider has scored 5 goals and been a factor. He hasn't been with thi team long enough to be turned into a torts robot/zombie. Unfortunately, just wait till next season. He'll have kreider looking like pruster out there
bingo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old
05-22-2012, 09:07 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
The problem is the same problem that has been an issue in all three rounds, they are constantly kept to the outside in the opposing team's zone. They don't have a constant presence in the middle and time and again work the puck from behind the net, to the side wall, to the point, to the other point — all on the periphery.

05-22-2012, 09:10 AM
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
The problem is the same problem that has been an issue in all three rounds, they are constantly kept to the outside in the opposing team's zone. They don't have a constant presence in the middle and time and again work the puck from behind the net, to the side wall, to the point, to the other point ó all on the periphery.
Zero creativity! They have no chemistry on offense ... they are predictable ... dump the puck ... chase ... chip it along the board and try to get it to the point. For once I would like some traffic in front of Marty and maybe ... just maybe a one timer?

Old
05-22-2012, 09:10 AM
Matt Carle Place
Man Gravity Forgot

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
I do think if/when the Rangers get more offensive talent, he's going to have to open it up a bit.

I mentioned this before, I'm wondering with Tortorella preaching defense all the time, is it taking away from the offense?

There's no way this team should be this bad on odd man rushes and the PP.

They look like they're not coached when it comes to offense.

Reminds me of a NBA team that has a defensive minded coach but that coach is clueless about offense.
It's what I'm scared of. Is this the system Torts intends to run for the remainder of his tenure here? If so, we're not winning a Cup and his time here will end in disappointment. I understand, somewhat, that we don't have the horses in the bottom 6 to play up tempo hockey, nor do we really have the horses in the top 6 (Stepan and Anisimov are too inconsistent, Hagelin isn't a top 6er YET, Callahan's history in the POs is brutal). It relies too heavily on the defensive game and puts so little emphasis on the offense that we are enormously below the Goals Scored Per Game Average of any Cup-winning team since 1945.

Old
05-22-2012, 09:12 AM
corduroyg

i think this round the problem is theyre tired more than anything. they dont have any jump, and thats got nothing to do with torts "system". going 7 the first 2 rounds has caught up with them, if they dont get their 2nd wind by wednesday night theyll be out in 6.

corduroyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 09:13 AM
Matt Carle Place
Man Gravity Forgot

Quote:
Zero creativity! They have no chemistry on offense ... they are predictable ... dump the puck ... chase ... chip it along the board and try to get it to the point. For once I would like some traffic in front of Marty and maybe ... just maybe a one timer?
It really is amazing, I constantly sit watching them cycle the puck behind the net with all three forwards and wondering what the end game is there. There is no one in front, so even when we manage to get it to the point, there is no one screening the goalie.

Also for a team that loves to work the boards, we're pretty poor at it.

Old
05-22-2012, 09:14 AM
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015

vCash: 50
exactly 18 years ago yesterday, Game 4 East Finals vs NJ. Devils took a 2-0 lead in the 1st and NYR were outshot 12-3. Keenan benched Messier, Leetch and pulled Richter.

GordonGecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 09:15 AM
evilllempire*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
The problem is the same problem that has been an issue in all three rounds, they are constantly kept to the outside in the opposing team's zone. They don't have a constant presence in the middle and time and again work the puck from behind the net, to the side wall, to the point, to the other point ó all on the periphery.
so we should be doing what the Kings do.....but we do the exact opposite

Seriously......i feel like if we do get past this round, we might get SPANKED by the Kings. They are basically a MIRROR IMAGE of our Team on D and Goaltending. Except that they F'ing DRIVE HARD to the NET and have more SKILL and CREATIVITY on offense than we could even ever dream of.

I hope I'm wrong and we can somehow win this Series and perhaps the Cup Finals. But if we do......it won't be because we elevated our game to win. It WILL BE because we dragged our opponent DOWN TO OUR LEVEL

It is like Brad Gilbert's Book....."WINNING UGLY"

He always said..."I never had the talent to compete with the TOP GUYS, so I had to find a way to DRAG THEM down to my level"

Let's see if we can continue to do so!!!