Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Cody eakin

Old
07-27-2012, 03:37 AM
waldohildahl

vCash: 500
Cody eakin

Does anybody else think it would be a wise move to go after Cody eakin? IMO he is going to be a very strong top 6 forward in the NHL for the next 13 years. He is currently flying somewhat under the radar because hunter is a knob and didn't play him in Washington. Has Winnipeg missed the boat on him or is there a package that we could put together to get him out of Dallas? Eakin is from Winnipeg as well, would be a great addition. Sort of a poor mans Toews, but I think in 5 years time he might be as good. Thoughts?

waldohildahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 04:14 AM
almostawake

Dallas will see what they have before they considering trading him.

In general, it is not really possible to target and acquire specific prospects on their own. The vast majority of the times a player like Eakin gets moved it's because he's part of a package for a roster player.

In the Ribiero trade Eakin was one of the pieces the Caps had to part with to make it happen. I don't think the Caps were all that happy to part ways with Eakin.

As far as your comparison to Toews goes, I cannot imagine him being anywhere near that level. Frankly, Eakin is now 21 and he's still way behind the curve on adding mass to his frame. He needs to upgrade his body a fair bit just to be an effective AHLer, let alone NHLer.

almostawake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 04:26 AM
Duir
Registered Bunk

I mean no disrespect, but the only reason his name is being mentioned here is because he is from Winnipeg and played amateur hockey here. The Toews comparison is way off base, Eakin is good but no where even close to Toews. Again, only reason being is because they are both from the Peg. He can be top six but has a long way to go in his game; Dallas saw that he has potential but time will only tell if he achieves. Personally? I don't see him being anything more than a Pat O'Sullivan or Gilbert Brule, meaning gifted but not able to transition skill level to the NHL level. Saw him play a ton in bantam and midget, skill level reminded me a lot of Dawes but Dawes was far better. By a landslide. And we know where he went.

Last edited by Duir: 07-27-2012 at 04:38 AM.
Duir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 05:55 AM
almostawake

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBunk View Post
I mean no disrespect, but the only reason his name is being mentioned here is because he is from Winnipeg and played amateur hockey here. The Toews comparison is way off base, Eakin is good but no where even close to Toews. Again, only reason being is because they are both from the Peg. He can be top six but has a long way to go in his game; Dallas saw that he has potential but time will only tell if he achieves. Personally? I don't see him being anything more than a Pat O'Sullivan or Gilbert Brule, meaning gifted but not able to transition skill level to the NHL level. Saw him play a ton in bantam and midget, skill level reminded me a lot of Dawes but Dawes was far better. By a landslide. And we know where he went.
I agree that the reason he's being brought up is because he's a Winnipeg guy, but I think comparing him to guys like O'Sullivan and Brule is way off the mark. Both of those players are far more talented than Eakin, but their lack of success in the NHL is some combination of injury, personal issues, lack of desire and lack of hockey sense.

For O'Sullivan I don't even thing it's fair to say his skill level didn't transition to the NHL level. He was very successful early in his career, at both the AHL and NHL levels. O'Sullivan's problem was after a little success he wasn't willing to work hard on the defensive side of his game and buy into playing a system. Ultimately, O'Sullivan's downfall can probably be chalked up to his immense personal and emotional issues.

In Brule's case, he played a ridiculously physical style in Junior and kind of got away with it because his size disadvantage wasn't too huge. In his rookie year that style got him in a heap of trouble, fast. Ever since then he's been trying to figure out how to alter his style of play to be an effective pro. But the fundamental issue isn't translating his skill, it's balancing his desire to play physical with his durability.

One big advantage that Eakin has over these two guys is that there's no pressure on him to be a big scorer. He has the freedom to look at his skills and physical attributes and figure out how he can best use them to be an effective NHLer. From my point of view it is entirely possibly he carves out a nice career for himself as a high quality 3rd line C/W. To be blunt, if he got up to 190-195 lbs and worked very hard on his faceoffs, his speed and skill are such that he'd basically be guaranteed a long career as a 3rd/4th line PKing center. If he works really hard, on all aspects of his game, his top end may be something like Michael Peca.

almostawake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 06:56 AM
KingJet*
Welcome Back

Dallas Acquired him and kind of brought him because him and Glennie are best friends, and apparently have really great chemistry too.

KingJet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 07:21 AM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Definitly agree with most of the sentiment here. Eakin is not the sort of player you go after. I have never seen a proposal/suggestion that we fo after another bottom six prospect so cab we leave the winnipeg factor alone?

Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 09:22 AM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

I'm from the Peg too just like a lot of you... But to be honest I'm quite sick of:
What do you think of ____. He's blah blah and from Winnipeg/Manitoba.
IMHO, I honestly think that if you have to mention he's a home town boy, you're going after him for some/all of the wrong reasons. I see no reason to specifically target home town boys. Some could say stupid reasons like marketing or desire to play well at home or home-town discounts. To be honest, the things have more to do with character and skill of a player and the management's ability to take advantage of such.
Sorry. I'm just sick and tired of it. Don't know if it's because I don't live over there anymore with you guys or I'm weird...

garret9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 09:35 AM
bigplay41*
BIG MEECH

Send a message via AIM to bigplay41*
Cody Eakin is going to be a stud in the NHL, bu Dallas just traded for him I doubt he's available

bigplay41* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 11:02 AM
Yukon Joe

I have no problem with looking for "home town boys". I think being from Manitoba should be a consideration (though not the top consideration) in assessing files.

We've heard the stories that 'Winnipeg is on everyone's No Trade list', but we all know Winnipeg is a fine place to live. So lets bring in players who already know Winnipeg is a good place to live.

That being said, Eakin seems doubtful since Dallas just acquired him.

Yukon Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 11:06 AM
cheswick
Non-registered User

vCash: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetNation View Post
Cody Eakin is going to be a stud in the NHL, bu Dallas just traded for him I doubt he's available
Oh if only every young prospect developed into a stud in the NHL rather than the majority of which are fringe players bouncing back and forth between the NHL and AHL before going to play in Europe.

cheswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 11:11 AM
sully1410
#VinegarStrokes

vCash: 72
Hey what about that Toews guy? He has a huge upside and is a great two way player. Big Plus..he's from Winnipeg!!! What could we put together for him?

Enstrom for Toews and a 1st?

sully1410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 11:18 AM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon Joe View Post
I have no problem with looking for "home town boys". I think being from Manitoba should be a consideration (though not the top consideration) in assessing files.

We've heard the stories that 'Winnipeg is on everyone's No Trade list', but we all know Winnipeg is a fine place to live. So lets bring in players who already know Winnipeg is a good place to live.

That being said, Eakin seems doubtful since Dallas just acquired him.
Yet both Joki, Montoya and Poni came here with offers from other teams...
And although it's speculative but we have no idea if Toews or Zajac would go there...
If the person turns out to be local, great. If someone shows interest, great. It shouldn't matter why they want to play there (Joki = likes the youthful/upcoming team, Poni = antro, who also said TNSE is great, Montoya = probably because we gave him a oneway) but the fact that they want to play there.

I think of being local as a perk... not a targeting reason.

But that's just an opinion... not a fact at all.

Old
07-27-2012, 11:31 AM
scelaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully1410 View Post
Hey what about that Toews guy? He has a huge upside and is a great two way player. Big Plus..he's from Winnipeg!!! What could we put together for him?

Naaah, Toews'll never amount to anything. Just cuz he's a home town boy.........

scelaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 11:40 AM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Originally Posted by scelaton View Post
Naaah, Toews'll never amount to anything. Just cuz he's a home town boy.........
He's more of a Cody Sol and a third

Old
07-27-2012, 01:27 PM
sting13

Having watched Eakin play in Washington this year, I can't see him being a top 6
forward in the NHL. He looks to fill a third line spot.

sting13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 01:52 PM
Sweech
Alles zu seiner Zeit

vCash: 5239
Do we really have to bring in every player that is born in/played in Winnipeg?

I just want good players that want to win. I could care less where they're born.

Sweech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 02:25 PM
JetsCameHome

Just stop with the stupid player x from Winnipeg trades.

JetsCameHome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2012, 10:03 AM
Kamo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully1410 View Post

David Toews right?

Kamo is offline   Reply With Quote