HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Notices

All Purpose Prospect/St. John's Thread - Part 3

Old
07-18-2012, 07:33 AM
Canadienjet

vCash: 500
This team will be younger for sure but I'm excited for guys like Redmond,O'Dell etc to see what they can do with increased oppertunity.

Also intrested in Hunter Tremblay had a decent rookie year for OKC.Wonder if Murray will return?

As well what will happen with Jaffray?Wonder if he is considering retirement?

Hoping Festerling can return but it appears he will be looking elsewhere..Desantis was not a huge loss he was awful in his own end.

Canadienjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 07:34 AM
IceCapsNation

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndersUlfBobby View Post
And Pasquale will be the goaltender this coming season.
It's tough to say for sure right now. After last years playoff performance Eddie is like a God in St. John's, but with two very established goalies battling to back up Pavs, one will end up in St. John's. If Dekanich's game rounds out to where it was 2 years ago, he or Montya are really going to challenge for the net in St. John's. It's going to be one hell of a battle all season long.

IceCapsNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 07:45 AM
Canadienjet

Who are the veterans for the upcoming season?

King,Maxwell,Festerling(Possibly),Gagnon,Meech ,Jaffray (Possibly)? Is that about right?

That's 6 is the rule 5 and one exception?

Old
07-18-2012, 09:13 AM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceCapsNation View Post
I find all the Klingberg talk very interesting.

Last season in St. John's Klingberg started out well. Once he was sent back from Winnipeg Klingberg dissapeared. Became predictable, north to south game take the puck, skate down along the boards. Attempt to drive to the net, take a shot at the goalies pads. It became to the point where fans were essentially begging for him to get benched and spend some time in the stands. Subsequently he did eventually.

St. John's (fan base) is really hoping for more to his game this year. IMHO Eric O'Dell jumped leaps and bounds over Klingberg when he was given the opporunity to play on the top 2 lines. Klingberg also had those opportunites on numerous occasions but always found himself falling back to the 3rd and sometimes 4th...

...Klingberg for me needs to to round his game out more. The way he plays in St. John's I see nothing more than a 4th-3rd liner in the NHL good for 10 goals...
I can understand (note: without seeing any of the first 3/4ish of the season) how expectations around Klingberg were huge... He scored something like 5 goals in his first 6 shots...

I agree Klingberg looks like a 3rd-4th liner, but currently that's what the best of the IceCaps guys this year will be if they do eventually get FT NHL gigs. Jets prospect cupboards have a lot of F who are 3rd-4th liners, some with the possiblity of 2nd line upside, but most likely just for injury coverage or support piece.

Telegin, with his speed and scoring touch, is a possible legit 2nd liner but a lot of it will be dependent on how his scoring touch and speed in junior translates to pro.

garret9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 10:22 AM
sipowicz
The Original

vCash: 1989
Wasn't Klingberg also benched for a couple games in the Ice Caps playoff games.

sipowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-18-2012, 01:42 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Forwards:
Jason Gregoire
Carl Klingberg
Eric O’Dell
Ivan Telegin
Ben Maxwell
Aaron Gagnon
Patrice Cormier
?Spencer Machecek
#John Albert
#Jason King
#Ryan Schnell
#Hunter Tremblay
#Kevin Clark

Defense:
Zach Redmond (RH)
Will O’Neil (LH)
Derek Meech (LH)
Julian Melchiori (LH)
Ben Chariot (LH)
Cody Sol (LH)
#Jake Marto (LH)
#Travis Ramsey (RH)
?Paul Postma (RH)

Goalies:
Edward Pasquale
Mark Dekanich
Chris Carozzi

According to Eliteprospects.com that's who's on file for St. John's. We all know Postma is most likely playing the NHL this year and my gamble is Machecek makes the big club while not Cormier who is still waiver elgible... I put #'s on the ones that aren't under the Winnipeg Jets salary (even though it's probably coming out of the same pocket )

Couple of comments:
-seems like a really young team
-looking forward to see if Telegin's game transitions well into pro
-if Postma makes the Jets, IceCaps are really hurting for RH d... ironically opposite of the main club...

Anyone else with thoughts?

EDIT: Added Travis Ramsey, Kevin Clark...
Haven't added those yet not on contract extensions even though offers have gone out

Last edited by garret9: 07-18-2012 at 01:52 PM. Reason: Thanks for the update Canadienjet
Old
07-18-2012, 01:46 PM
Canadienjet

Quote:
Originally Posted by garret9 View Post
Forwards:
Jason Gregoire
Carl Klingberg
Eric O’Dell
Ivan Telegin
Ben Maxwell
Aaron Gagnon
Patrice Cormier
?Spencer Machecek
#John Albert
#Jason King
#Ryan Schnell
#Hunter Tremblay

Defense:
Zach Redmond (RH)
Will O’Neil (LH)
Derek Meech (LH)
Julian Melchiori (LH)
Ben Chariot (LH)
Cody Sol (LH)
#Jake Marto (LH)
?Paul Postma (RH)

Goalies:
Edward Pasquale
Mark Dekanich
Chris Carozzi

According to Eliteprospects.com that's who's on file for St. John's. We all know Postma is most likely playing the NHL this year and my gamble is Machecek makes the big club while not Cormier who is still waiver elgible... I put #'s on the ones that aren't under the Winnipeg Jets salary (even though it's probably coming out of the same pocket )

Couple of comments:
-seems like a really young team
-looking forward to see if Telegin's game transitions well into pro
-if Postma makes the Jets, IceCaps are really hurting for RH d... ironically opposite of the main club...

Anyone else with thoughts?
Forgot Travis Ramsey and Kevin Clark who are on the 2nd of two year AHL contracts.

Team is thin up front would like to add another player if possible.

Forgot Maceauer as well should be back.Schnell will likely be ECHL bound.

Old
07-18-2012, 08:34 PM
IceCapsNation

What's going on with Jaffray? Is he under contract? Hard to believe you hear Nothing in regaurds to their captain.

Old
07-18-2012, 10:41 PM
puck stoppa

Quote:
I find all the Klingberg talk very interesting.

Last season in St. John's Klingberg started out well. Once he was sent back from Winnipeg Klingberg dissapeared. Became predictable, north to south game take the puck, skate down along the boards. Attempt to drive to the net, take a shot at the goalies pads. It became to the point where fans were essentially begging for him to get benched and spend some time in the stands. Subsequently he did eventually.

St. John's (fan base) is really hoping for more to his game this year. IMHO Eric O'Dell jumped leaps and bounds over Klingberg when he was given the opporunity to play on the top 2 lines. Klingberg also had those opportunites on numerous occasions but always found himself falling back to the 3rd and sometimes 4th.

Eric O'Dell is one player I'm expecting big things from. Here's my ranking as far as expectations go:

Redmond
O'Dell
Klingberg
O'Neill
Cormier
Gregoire

I have Cormier lower, merely because he played fantastic last year and I fully expect him to do the same this year. For me personally, Redmond has the highest expectations for the season due to the losses of Postma, Kulda, and the potential loss of Festerling. O'Dell is second, due to his incredible play last season when he was called upon. Really need him to step up this year with Machacek more then likely being in Jet land. Klingberg for me needs to to round his game out more. The way he plays in St. John's I see nothing more than a 4th-3rd liner in the NHL good for 10 goals. O'Niell will step up big on D and fill more of a Desantis role on the Power Play. Gregoire doesn't really stick out in my mind, but s a returning player should have to leave some sort of an impression on the fan base by the end of the year.
Thanks for your thoughts, appreciate your posting.
I never saw Klingberg being more than a fourth liner anyway. Glad to hear Odell has upside. I guess Guerzy is always right when it comes to prospects. He's always preached about Bogo and Odell!

puck stoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 12:46 AM
Aerial

Quote:
What's going on with Jaffray? Is he under contract? Hard to believe you hear Nothing in regaurds to their captain.
He's a UFA. I'm haven't heard anything reported and it probably would be nice if St. John's media would look into getting an update. I know TNSE is loyal to Jaffray and loves him as a leader on the IceCaps, and I'd have to guess they'd put up a better offer than anywhere else.

Adding it up, I'd have to guess that questions about his health post-surgery is the reason we haven't heard anything. Maybe he's deciding if he should retire?

Aerial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 01:01 AM
PostmanPat1919

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerial View Post
He's a UFA. I'm haven't heard anything reported and it probably would be nice if St. John's media would look into getting an update. I know TNSE is loyal to Jaffray and loves him as a leader on the IceCaps, and I'd have to guess they'd put up a better offer than anywhere else.

Adding it up, I'd have to guess that questions about his health post-surgery is the reason we haven't heard anything. Maybe he's deciding if he should retire?
My suspicion is that Jaffray will be signed to an AHL contract with St. John's.

PostmanPat1919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 07:46 AM
Canadienjet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerial View Post

One has to wonder if it has taken this long with no word that he is leaning towards retirement.

Also if he does return he may miss the start of the season?We needs another to 6 forward.

He was an assistant coach for the PO last year, I wonder will he be an assistant coach this year.

Old
07-19-2012, 08:12 AM
IceCapsNation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadienjet View Post
One has to wonder if it has taken this long with no word that he is leaning towards retirement.

Also if he does return he may miss the start of the season?We needs another to 6 forward.

He was an assistant coach for the PO last year, I wonder will he be an assistant coach this year.
Jaffray would be instrumental in helping with development of Winnipeg's young prospects. And given their history together, one would believe that TNSE would have known that long before the fanbase of St. John's. I find it odd and peculiar that nothings been released regaurding his health or status.

I'm hoping a reporter from a newspaper will see this and dig some information.

Old
07-19-2012, 10:19 AM
WJG
Running and Rioting

I think that Jaffray and Flood are holding out for 1-way contracts. Both got a taste of the NHL last year and didn't look too out of place.

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 10:39 AM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJG View Post
I think that Jaffray and Flood are holding out for 1-way contracts. Both got a taste of the NHL last year and didn't look too out of place.
In my humble opinion...
Both looked out of place and out matched... They both didn't make NHL gigs by now for a reason. (and that's by stats and by my own observations)... I wouldn't offer a 1-way NHL to either of them.

Old
07-19-2012, 10:40 AM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 1250
Quote:
Jaffray is coming off spinal fusion surgery; no way would any NHL team guarantee a one-way deal to an AHL vet with that recent injury in his jacket, nor would an agent worth his salt suggest waiting for such an offer given those extenuating circumstances. The holdup in Jaffray's case is more likely that they are waiting to see how his spine is recovering.

Gump Hasek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 11:16 AM
IceCapsNation

I have to say, a top 9 forward group of King, Gangnon, Jaffray, Cormier, Klingberg, Maxwell, O'Dell, Trembley, Telegin/Clarke (Telegin unproven in pro) seems legit to get the icecaps back into the playoffs again where the prospects can again benefit from some great growth and maturity. I'd love to see TNSE bring back Sawada and or Macenour as well.

Goaltending seems solid. Dekanich or Montoya would equally give Pasquale a legit push at controlling the net. Something Eddie needs to face in his development.

The defence core has me worried. It's really young. The losses of Postma, Kulda, and Festerling are huge on this team.

Old
07-19-2012, 11:43 AM
Canadienjet

Quote:
I have to say, a top 9 forward group of King, Gangnon, Jaffray, Cormier, Klingberg, Maxwell, O'Dell, Trembley, Telegin/Clarke (Telegin unproven in pro) seems legit to get the icecaps back into the playoffs again where the prospects can again benefit from some great growth and maturity. I'd love to see TNSE bring back Sawada and or Macenour as well.

Goaltending seems solid. Dekanich or Montoya would equally give Pasquale a legit push at controlling the net. Something Eddie needs to face in his development.

The defence core has me worried. It's really young. The losses of Postma, Kulda, and Festerling are huge on this team.
Do you know for sure Festerling is gone?

Old
07-19-2012, 11:49 AM
IceCapsNation

Quote:
Do you know for sure Festerling is gone?
No. I've read nothing stating that. I'm basing it on my own assumption that he's yet to sign a qualifying offer (atleast nothings been reported he has). It leads me to believe he is exploring other options.

Old
07-19-2012, 11:55 AM
Canadienjet

Gonna make an attempt on the roster :

Jaffray-Gagnon-King
Klingberg-Maxwell-Cormier
Clark-Albert-O'Dell
Telegin-Gregoire-Tremblay

Meech-Ramsey
Redmond-O'Neill
Melchoiri-Chairot
x-Sol

Pasquale
Dekanich

*I will assume if Jaffray does not retire he will be here
*Leaving Festerling,Macenauer,Sawada out till we got word on their status
*I believe Sol can play FW as well?

Old
07-19-2012, 11:59 AM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
No. I've read nothing stating that. I'm basing it on my own assumption that he's yet to sign a qualifying offer (atleast nothings been reported he has). It leads me to believe he is exploring other options.
I hope he gets signed. Could use the experience and the right handedness
Having Redmond as the sole RH wouldn't be too good.

Old
07-19-2012, 04:55 PM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
Gonna make an attempt on the roster :

Jaffray-Gagnon-King
Klingberg-Maxwell-Cormier
Clark-Albert-O'Dell
Telegin-Gregoire-Tremblay

Meech-Ramsey
Redmond-O'Neill
Melchoiri-Chairot
x-Sol

Pasquale
Dekanich

*I will assume if Jaffray does not retire he will be here
*Leaving Festerling,Macenauer,Sawada out till we got word on their status
*I believe Sol can play FW as well?
Sol can barely skate. You don't want him at forward either.

Paradise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 05:06 PM
voyageur
Registered lunatic

I have a question on Aaron Gagnon. I really didn't see him play this year on the Jets or the Caps. Why did the Jets sign him to a one-way for this season? Does he have good leadership qualities? How is his skating? I saw in my Hockey News mag that he is strong on the faceoffs, is he an insurance policy for Slater, though RH, allowing Cormier to get more playing time, and development? Or is he just a career minor-leaguer, who is bound with his contract for St. John's?

voyageur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 05:16 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

Quote:
Originally Posted by voyageur View Post
I have a question on Aaron Gagnon. I really didn't see him play this year on the Jets or the Caps. Why did the Jets sign him to a one-way for this season? Does he have good leadership qualities? How is his skating? I saw in my Hockey News mag that he is strong on the faceoffs, is he an insurance policy for Slater, though RH, allowing Cormier to get more playing time, and development? Or is he just a career minor-leaguer, who is bound with his contract for St. John's?
This

Old
07-19-2012, 05:23 PM
voyageur
Registered lunatic

Quote:
I think Flood is likely waiting to see if he can earn that one way contract. At his age financial security is more important than loyalty. That said with the way the current Jets roster is composed I would give him a two-way only. If Festerling isn't coming back, there is a need for a veteran defenseman on the Rock, other than Meech. It's also important to remember that Meech won a roster spot with the Jets out of camp over Flood last year until Meech got hurt. If Flood is going to play with the Jets again, the likelihood is that he will have to earn a spot, rendering Postma or Clitsome expendable out of camp...I hope he resigns, he wasn't flashy, looked a little overwhelmed at times, but was for the most part relatively solid, and contributed on both the PP and PK.

Sounds like Jaffray is a medical issue, and probably realistically a career minor leaguer, or at best an emergency call-up.

voyageur is offline   Reply With Quote