HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Our D & clearing the zone

Old
05-21-2012, 10:09 PM
NYGBleedBlueNYR

vCash: 500
Our D & clearing the zone

Is it just me or do we slap the puck around the boards in our zone more than any other team?

For all the love our D gets I think they generally panic/try to be too fast far too often with the puck.

It drives me crazy.

NYGBleedBlueNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 10:11 PM
JayQueensNY88*

Alot of inexpierience on this team...Will only get better with knowledge.

JayQueensNY88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 10:13 PM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Its the strategy. They chip it up the boards where they anticipate the forwards will be.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 10:14 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Love the blind passes to the Devils at the points. Awesome awareness.

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 10:22 PM
NYGBleedBlueNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stugots View Post
Its the strategy. They chip it up the boards where they anticipate the forwards will be.
Pretty frustrating when it seems that more often than not no one is there.

I live in the Blackhawks market. I thought one of the most underrated things in their cup run was Brian Campbell. He really stood out vs Nashville. He was so calm with the puck under a heavy forecheck.

I'm not the most knowledgeable fan at all. I've never played even 1 sec of hockey but I've fallen in love with the sport. I may not understand the nuances going on sometimes but these blind passes up the boards just drive me bat**** crazy.

NYGBleedBlueNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 10:25 PM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYGBleedBlueNYR View Post
Pretty frustrating when it seems that more often than not no one is there.

I live in the Blackhawks market. I thought one of the most underrated things in their cup run was Brian Campbell. He really stood out vs Nashville. He was so calm with the puck under a heavy forecheck.

I'm not the most knowledgeable fan at all. I've never played even 1 sec of hockey but I've fallen in love with the sport. I may not understand the nuances going on sometimes but these blind passes up the boards just drive me bat**** crazy.
Yeah it definitely is annoying. I'm not a huge hockey strategist either but I remember reading someone else's post on here describing Mike Sullivan's system of having his D-men chip it along the sideboards and the forward going to a spot to retrieve it. It happens way too often for it to not be one of their strategies.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 10:34 PM
NYSportsfan87
Thank You Eli

Seems like Staal is having a tough time with clearing. He seems to brace for the hit, than try and clear. Anyone else feel this, or am I mistaking it for something else?

NYSportsfan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 11:08 PM
Fanned On It

The Devils are pinching hard... time to switch it up boys. I mean, seriously, it's up to Torts to tell them that what they're doing is NOT working. But I think it's just a matter of being nervous with the puck and trying TOO hard to get the puck out of the zone. We need to make casual passes up the middle to our center man and have him carry it out of the zone and then pass it to a winger in the neutral zone.

We praise our defense all the time but the fact is they're not adjusting in the playoffs. We've been hemmed in our zone WAY TOO MANY times during the playoffs. All three rounds.

This, along with our HEAVY collapsing strategy where our wingers are all below the faceoff-circle dots, is not helping us.

Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 06:12 PM
JayQueensNY88*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYSportsfan87 View Post
Seems like Staal is having a tough time with clearing. He seems to brace for the hit, than try and clear. Anyone else feel this, or am I mistaking it for something else?
Its possible and makes sense..I wouldnt doubt he has fears of another concussion

JayQueensNY88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 06:21 PM
Vidic15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santini5389 View Post
The Devils are pinching hard... time to switch it up boys. I mean, seriously, it's up to Torts to tell them that what they're doing is NOT working. But I think it's just a matter of being nervous with the puck and trying TOO hard to get the puck out of the zone. We need to make casual passes up the middle to our center man and have him carry it out of the zone and then pass it to a winger in the neutral zone.

We praise our defense all the time but the fact is they're not adjusting in the playoffs. We've been hemmed in our zone WAY TOO MANY times during the playoffs. All three rounds.

This, along with our HEAVY collapsing strategy where our wingers are all below the faceoff-circle dots, is not helping us.
This!! Devils are pinching hard because they know we collapse too much. This is all on Torts. He must be seeing it when he's watching video of the game. It's time to make the adjustment.

Vidic15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 06:30 PM
Vitto79

The team has bounced back all yr. I am confidence the D will turn it around

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 06:34 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Ottawa, Washington, and Jersey have all taken advantage of this and haven't seen any adjustments. It always feels like we are so terrible at this. I don't know if our opponents have just been good at stacking the boards or if we just haven't effectively used the reverse option. A lot of weak clears. We are also too afraid to ice the puck i think. need to watch some game footage for better analysis.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 08:23 AM
GAGLine

Our forwards play very low in the defensive zone. That leaves the point men wide open. Once the other team gets control of the puck, it can be hard for us to clear it. Every puck that gets wrapped around the boards finds a devil waiting there. Our forwards are so close to the goal that they can't win the races to the puck. That's why we have so many extended shifts in our own zone.

I'd like to see Torts make an adjustment there. Have the weakside forward play higher and let the weakside dman worry about covering the pass through the slot. That way when the puck gets wrapped around the boards, the weakside forward will have a chance to get to it before the point man.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 03:51 PM
Dactyl

just one of the reasons sullivan needs to go (i vote for just making ben allaire the assistant)

Dactyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 03:56 PM
Ave Maria
New Season New Dream

Send a message via Skype™ to Ave Maria
They look like they are trying to be Barcelona with all this fancy ****, just get the puck put so our offense has more opportunities to do ****

Ave Maria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 03:57 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

You try making a perfect tape to tape pass against a team with a ferocious forecheck, especially when part of a defense that has been through the meat-grinder for 100+ games now.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 04:00 PM
Dactyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
You try making a perfect tape to tape pass against a team with a ferocious forecheck, especially when part of a defense that has been through the meat-grinder for 100+ games now.
i honestly believe that on the PK i can just shoot it down the ice and clear better than they can make the cute play off the boards that get blocked half the time

Dactyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 04:03 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

vCash: 373
It's probably the most basic breakout in the game, we used something very similar in HS. But as mentioned above there isn't much more you can do against such an aggressive forecheck.

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 05:00 PM
HagsSwag

Our forwards need to be half a step quicker when the Devils have the puck in the neutral zone. We need to get in their way, and hit them when they dump the puck in. It is imperative we give our D a chance to get the puck move their feet, get their head up and square up their shoulders up the ice before they are hounded by a forechecker.

If this is not possible, then our D need to get the puck up over and out. Lift that puck high in the air into the neutral zone and regroup. Jamming the puck repeatedly up the boards into one of our players and two Devils just isnt working. Between the bouncy ice, the average Devil defense and the speed of guys like Kreider, Hags, Artie, and Gabby we need to put more pressure on their D when they have the puck or are coming into possession. Flipping the puck into the neutral zone when covered in the defensive zone will start to get this done.

Once we get the puck going forward and we dont have an odd man rush, for the love of God cross ice dump . Not a difficult concept.

It is times like these where boys become men. You can see young men grow right before your very eyes. I think our team knows their sum is greater than their parts. Come together, become legends, go down in history in the biggest city in our great land. It is our time, nothing should stop us, there are no guarantees you will ever make it to this point in your career ever again. Think back to Camp Torturella and realize this is what its all about.

Create your legacy tonight boys, I still have the faith. Play your game, dont take no sht, and keep a level head.

LGR win at all costs. Show them something.

HagsSwag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 09:52 PM
Whoot Whoot
Biased-NYR-Homer

Del Zotto isn't worth having on the team - too many mistakes. His mistakes cost more then his contributions earn.

Whoot Whoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 10:08 PM
M0rbid

This system is something. Chip the puck and collaspe........ Don't bother carrying it to neutral zone.

M0rbid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 10:24 PM
JCrusher*

not clearing the zone cost us this game. I knew they were gonna score since the puck was in our zone for a eternity. I meam the devils can clear in like 2 seconds. But The series isnt over all we need is a big win in game 6 and we cant still fix this

JCrusher* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 01:24 PM
Cliffy1814

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCrusher View Post
not clearing the zone cost us this game. I knew they were gonna score since the puck was in our zone for a eternity. I meam the devils can clear in like 2 seconds. But The series isnt over all we need is a big win in game 6 and we cant still fix this
Marty is one of the best at handling the puck and Hank is one of the worst. That makes a HUGE difference over the course of a series or playoff year. Rangers D are starting with their back to the play behind their net all the time. No doubt the D and forwards could do some things better, but a goalie who can handle the puck makes a big difference.

Cliffy1814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 01:27 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

For me the biggest problem is that when a Ranger gets to the puck in the defensive zone, the other four Rangers stand still and look at him, instead of quickly cutting into open space to give the puck carrier a legitimate passing option. This is hockey 101 and we seem to have a rule against it.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote