HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Squeezing the stick?

Closed Thread

Old
12-20-2004, 12:07 PM
Slats432

vCash: 500
Squeezing the stick?

I have no idea why, and figured that someone else might have some insights...

I started playing recreational hockey in the last couple years after many years off. When I played junior, I was a scorer, and had a fairly decent shot.

But since I have come back to playing, the shot is still strong, but the accuracy has gone to pot. For some reason, a too high percentage of all my shots are about six inches outside either post.

I was thinking that I might be using a stick longer than I used to? Trying to hard to shoot with velocity?

Any thoughts?

Old
12-20-2004, 12:12 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by slats432

I started playing recreational hockey in the last couple years after many years off. When I played junior, I was a scorer, and had a fairly decent shot.

But since I have come back to playing, the shot is still strong, but the accuracy has gone to pot. For some reason, a too high percentage of all my shots are about six inches outside either post.

I was thinking that I might be using a stick longer than I used to? Trying to hard to shoot with velocity?

Any thoughts?
A longer stick will give you more velocity, but make it tougher to handle the puck and also control your shot.

Do you find that you're always missing in one direction ???

Old
12-20-2004, 12:21 PM
markov`

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
A longer stick will give you more velocity, but make it tougher to handle the puck and also control your shot.

I have trouble handling the puck (I didn't had before) and I find that my shot is always missing in one direction. I'm gonna cut my stick.

Old
12-20-2004, 12:29 PM
Slats432

Quote:

I would have to say that I am more wide right than left, but it does miss on both sides.

I have also moved from being a center in my youth to a blueliner today.

Old
12-20-2004, 01:03 PM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Quote:

Myth, I find the longer th stick, the better puck control you have. There are many NHL'ers that feel that way also. Martin StLouis uses a big stick.

Old
12-20-2004, 02:31 PM
usmhuskies

Send a message via AIM to usmhuskies Send a message via Yahoo to usmhuskies
Quote:
I would have to say that I am more wide right than left, but it does miss on both sides.

I have also moved from being a center in my youth to a blueliner today.

Well if you just moved to D, try a heel cruve on your blade...It should keep you shot lower and harder...

Old
12-20-2004, 05:30 PM
bleedgreen

lie of the pattern may have an impact on your accuracy as well. it effects the length and where you put your hands. i always find when im slumping that its best to start in the middle of the net and work my way out. that way, im always on net, and i put the onus on the goalie to make a save and not bobble a rebound. if your shot is really that far off, youll probably hit it in off the post while aiming for his belly button. good luck.

Old
12-20-2004, 05:33 PM
Missionhockey

With me the size of my stick doesn't effect accuracy at all. I think your just out of practice. Work on your shot for a couple of weeks and it should be back to normal.

Old
12-20-2004, 05:49 PM
Accord

Send a message via AIM to Accord
Quote:

Any thoughts?
Having a proper lie is just as important as having proper length. You might have grown taller since when you played junior many years and this will result in you needing a different lie. What lie do you have now and where is most of the wear on your blade occuring at?

Last edited by Accord: 12-20-2004 at 05:55 PM.
Old
12-20-2004, 06:32 PM
The Old Master

vCash: 50
try a stiffer stick

Old
12-21-2004, 01:03 AM
Accord

Send a message via AIM to Accord
Slats, what kind of stick and what flex are you using now?

Old
12-21-2004, 10:22 AM
Slats432

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accord
Slats, what kind of stick and what flex are you using now?
I have been using two different ones this year.

Koho Crossover 2260C Senior Hockey stick
Fiberglass reinforced aspen wood core shaft ensures lightness and durability Black ABS/Wood blade with fiberglass reinforcement increases durability and resistance

Sherwood PMP 5030 Leclair

Our most popular handcrafted wood stick features an aspen tapered core, laminated with selected imported veneers. A unique handle construction shaft bonded with solid white ash blade reinforced with woven fiberglass and kevlar provides exceptional feel and superb strength.

Old
12-21-2004, 12:07 PM
bleedgreen

Quote:
Sherwood PMP 5030 Leclair
ive used the leclair it it may be your problem. its a sweet toe curve but it has a 4.5 lie! that and the the bourque (4.75) is the most open lie on the market. if you dont know about lie its the angle the shaft of the stick comes up form the blade. 5.5-6.0 are average. in the old days everything was a 5 or a 6. the modano is a fiveas is the jagr (which may be your koho). does the puck feel likes its far away from you when you are stick handling? on a lie that open, if you hadnt used it before your shot would definitely be affected. ive never stopped playing, and i had trouble with the leclair. the website said it was a 5, which was a stretch for me as it was, it was a 4.5 really, and i had trouble holding the puck in tight situations and my shot was totally different. could be your problem.

Old
12-21-2004, 12:10 PM
Gee Wally
Global Moderator
Grumpier than ever

Awards:
aim for the goalie and then you'll be right inside the posts.

You tell 'em I'M coming...

and Hell's coming with me, you hear?! ... Hell's coming with me!
Old
12-21-2004, 12:27 PM
Slats432

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee Wally
aim for the goalie and then you'll be right inside the posts.

Always a pearl of wisdom from a veteran.

Old
12-21-2004, 12:39 PM
rowall

Send a message via MSN to rowall
Quote:

Any thoughts?
Something you might try as well is checking out the finish of your shot. The stick should be pointing at your target on the follow through. Sometimes you just have to go back to the basics and work on muscle memory. Tendency of most is to blame the equipment. I'm not saying that equipment isn't important, it doesn't matter how big your driver is without the proper technique your not going to hit the fairway. A hockey shot is the same as a golf shot. The finishing is the key to accuracy.

Last edited by rowall: 12-21-2004 at 01:15 PM.
Old
12-21-2004, 03:29 PM
jiggs 10

Yep, just go back to basics and shoot, shoot, shoot! The newer blades can be PART of the problems, as they are far different then they used to be 10 years ago (with all these silly heel curves and 9-iron twists in them), but once you get a bit used to your stick, you should be able to put the puck where you want all of the time. Trust your shot, and try not to hurry it, though, because then you WILL miss wide (usually to your forehand side).

Closed Thread