HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hagelin and Stepan - Combined 1 goal in 35 games

Old
05-24-2012, 07:49 AM
Kershaw

vCash: 500
Hagelin and Stepan - Combined 1 goal in 35 games

These two are the younger players on the team, but this lack of goal scoring is alarmingly concerning.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 07:52 AM
NYGBleedBlueNYR

I'm a Steps homer but he's looked hurt or stuck in mud since the end of Reg season.

Edit: Ive never views Hags as a scorer. He's an energy guy constantly chasing pucks down for BR & MG IMO & causing turnovers.

NYGBleedBlueNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 07:59 AM
Rangers4Life74

Hagelin is what he is,a 3rd line checking guy who will chip in wih a few assists here and there.Stepan has had so many different linemates these past few games,its not surprising he only has 1 goal.he's just not a goal scorer.he doesnt have a good enough shot,his strength is setting up players.

Rangers4Life74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 08:02 AM
Kreider Typical
flex

step has been off since the knee on knee (think it was from neil or phillips in the ottawa series but it could've been regular season. it was dirty either way). hagelin has been off since the suspension in terms of passing/grit, but he never was a top 6 guy. just played there because the options were limited and we were getting beat by feet.

or was it a boarding on step???

Kreider Typical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 08:02 AM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooskating View Post
step has been off since the knee on knee (think it was from neil, right?). hagelin has been off since the suspension in terms of passing/grit, but he never was a top 6 guy. just played there because the options were limited and we were getting beat by feet.
Brooks Orpik.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 08:03 AM
Kreider Typical
flex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
Brooks Orpik.
ty sir. wasn't sure. i knew neil did something and phillips did something. def right though. was orpik. was dirty. was not suspended. ****ing shanny

Old
05-24-2012, 08:44 AM
Ail
k.

There have been a lot of no shows this playoff run and young guys get a pass before Vets.

Not overly concerned at this point. No one expected the Rangers to win a Cup this year and we certainly didn't expect rookies and young guys with zero playoff experience to lead the way.

Kreider has been good and that's making up for it.

Ail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 08:47 AM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Stepan is limited. Can't skate, not big, no shot. Doesn't win face offs. Weak along the boards and puck.

I'm not gauging in hyperbole but at times I worry about his future in the NHL.

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 08:52 AM
Riverdale

Going into the playoffs i thought Hagelin would be one of our better players...Any reason you guys think he hasn't had a good post season?

Riverdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 08:55 AM
pld459666

I'm mor ethan ready to give both guys a pass.

Stepan because I believe he is playing hurt and while there are alot of guys playing hurt, the knee on knee has limited his already limited mobility.

Hagelin may still be one of the fastest players, but the truth of the matter is that mental fatigue is also an issue when you have played close to 50 more games than your body has been conditioned to over the previous 4 years.

Hagelin has played in 97 games this year between the AHL/NHL Reg. Season and 16 NHL PO games.

Last year he played in 44 games in the NCAA last year.

There's a major difference right there.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 08:58 AM
Kreider Typical
flex

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
Stepan is limited. Can't skate, not big, no shot. Doesn't win face offs. Weak along the boards and puck.

3rd in production in the regular season in his second year in the league. i'm totally worried about this kid's future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverdale View Post
Going into the playoffs i thought Hagelin would be one of our better players...Any reason you guys think he hasn't had a good post season?
hags is just a puck monkey. has been since he came up. he chases and he passes. all he does well is chase(and skate obvs). the suspension hurt his confidence. his energy dropped having not played 3 games. he's got crazy good acceleration, but he was never thattt good.

Old
05-24-2012, 09:01 AM
Rangers4Life74

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooskating View Post
3rd in production in the regular season in his second year in the league. i'm totally worried about this kid's future.
3rd in production on a team that isnt an offensive powerhouse.theres a difference.

at best Stepan is a 60 point 2nd line center.he will have a nice nhl career,but he isnt this 1st line center some folks think he will be.

Old
05-24-2012, 09:01 AM
evilllempire*

Send a message via AIM to evilllempire*
Quote:

THIS........

i like the kid......but when the other teams left in the playoffs are rolling Kopitar, Mike Richards, and Jarret Stoll and Zajac, Elias, Henrique as their Top 3 Centers and we're sending Brad Richards (Legit # 1) then Stepan (MASSIVE DROPOFF), and a not very skilled (and now hurt) Boyle.....you can see we're like the shortbus kids compared to them.

Stepan like you said......has good vision and can pass a bit . But he Lacks everywhere else......hence why he's pretty much dissappeared since the middle of the season, waaay before the Orpiks Hit

evilllempire* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 09:08 AM
evilllempire*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangers4Life74 View Post
3rd in production on a team that isnt an offensive powerhouse.theres a difference.at best Stepan is a 55-60 point 2nd line center.he will have a ncie nhl career,but he isnt this 1st line center some folks think he will be.
I disagree......he's not really a True 2nd Line Center either. He's really "In Between" 2nd and 3rd (if you want to call it that). Not really Skilled enough, Strong enough, Good enough Skater, Face-Off Man, No Shot to be a 2nd Line Center and not Gritty nor Big Enough to be a checking 3rd line center.

He'll prob still have a nice/ok NHL career. I don't think he can be counted on to be our True 2nd Line Center for years to come. I'd be VERY UNCOMFORTABLE with that...

Old
05-24-2012, 09:16 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
3rd in production on a team that isnt an offensive powerhouse.theres a difference.

at best Stepan is a 60 point 2nd line center.he will have a nice nhl career,but he isnt this 1st line center some folks think he will be.
There is the NHL '13 way of thinking again. A 60 point player IS A 1ST LINE PLAYER IN THE NHL. I don't know how many times I have posted this same exact thing. I should write up a long post and save it in word to copy and paste.

60 points would have tied him for 56th

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.h...e=summary&pg=2

Where do people get the idea that in order to be a 1st line player you have to have a ppg? 60 points would have put in the same category as Corey Perry, Daniel Alfredsson, Thomas Vanek, Erik Cole, David Kreijci and Rick Nash THIS SEASON.

He is 21 years old and had 51 points on a team that didn't score a ton of goals. He plays in ALL situations. He is getting better at face-offs, that comes with experience. He is 6' so he isn't lacking for size and he is physical.

Unbelievable that people resort to calling out (2) rookies and MDZ who is 21. If this team is relying that heavily on their offensive contributions than they have MUCH bigger problems.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 09:21 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilllempire View Post
I disagree......he's not really a True 2nd Line Center either. He's really "In Between" 2nd and 3rd (if you want to call it that). Not really Skilled enough, Strong enough, Good enough Skater, Face-Off Man, No Shot to be a 2nd Line Center and not Gritty nor Big Enough to be a checking 3rd line center.

He'll prob still have a nice/ok NHL career. I don't think he can be counted on to be our True 2nd Line Center for years to come. I'd be VERY UNCOMFORTABLE with that...
This makes me seriously question whether you even watch the games.

21 years old. 51 points. 2-way center.

Unbelievable

Old
05-24-2012, 09:22 AM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

I've mentioned this before, but I've seen zero improvement from him this year.
Did he not work on anything last summer? Please don't tell me he and Parise are friends and they work out together...

He has to know that he lacks in multiple areas right? I hope isn't satisfied with what he is.

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 09:29 AM
nevesis

Quote:

I've never liked him, and I think he is HUGELY overrated. He skates with the ability of a beer league idiot.

I would package him and Anisimov and see what the return could be.

nevesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 09:30 AM
Rangers4Life74

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
There is the NHL '13 way of thinking again. A 60 point player IS A 1ST LINE PLAYER IN THE NHL. I don't know how many times I have posted this same exact thing. I should write up a long post and save it in word to copy and paste.

60 points would have tied him for 56th

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.h...e=summary&pg=2

Where do people get the idea that in order to be a 1st line player you have to have a ppg? 60 points would have put in the same category as Corey Perry, Daniel Alfredsson, Thomas Vanek, Erik Cole, David Kreijci and Rick Nash THIS SEASON.

He is 21 years old and had 51 points on a team that didn't score a ton of goals. He plays in ALL situations. He is getting better at face-offs, that comes with experience. He is 6' so he isn't lacking for size and he is physical.

Unbelievable that people resort to calling out (2) rookies and MDZ who is 21. If this team is relying that heavily on their offensive contributions than they have MUCH bigger problems.
and as i said,AT BEST,not meaning the norm for him.i think he will be a 50-55 point 2nd line center.read what i said next time.i never said he would be a consistant 60 point 2nd line player every year.50-55 is what i think will be his normal production,which is a,wait for it...2nd line center

Old
05-24-2012, 09:39 AM
evilllempire*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevesis View Post
I've never liked him, and I think he is HUGELY overrated. He skates with the ability of a beer league idiot.

I would package him and Anisimov and see what the return could be.
Yup......overrated fer sure. abiity of a Beer League Idiot =

Could prob get a couple bag of Pucks and a new Penalty Box Door back for those too...

Old
05-24-2012, 09:42 AM
nyrtrublue

this thread has turned into a joke. find a team that doesnt want a 50-60 pt 2 way center with great vision and hockey iq the two skills that you cant just improve through training. Hank had a bad game last night, lets trade him asap, hes garbage. cmon guys get a grip

heres some numbers for you http://www.nhl.com/ice/historicalsta...ion=C&country=

looks like only 5 teams have 1st line center according to some of your guys definition of one. I bet all those guys on the list were just as awful as stepan when they were sophomores...

Last edited by nyrtrublue: 05-24-2012 at 09:50 AM. Reason: kept reading the thread and got more infuriated
nyrtrublue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 09:54 AM
nevesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilllempire View Post
Yup......overrated fer sure. abiity of a Beer League Idiot =
I said the skating ability of a beer league idiot. Derek Stepan is one of the WORST skaters in the NHL.

I assume you haven't played hockey at a high level, or have even played at all if you think he possesses go skating ability.

nevesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 09:59 AM
evilllempire*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevesis View Post
I said the skating ability of a beer league idiot. Derek Stepan is one of the WORST skaters in the NHL.
i was agreeing with your statement......unless you didn't get my drift

he is a horrible skater......we all know that. that's just one of his deficiences in his game

Old
05-24-2012, 10:07 AM
FATCHAMALA11
Kneel Before Zod

Should have packaged Step for Nash in a heartbeat.

FATCHAMALA11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 10:07 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
and as i said,AT BEST,not meaning the norm for him.i think he will be a 50-55 point 2nd line center.read what i said next time.i never said he would be a consistant 60 point 2nd line player every year.50-55 is what i think will be his normal production,which is a,wait for it...2nd line center
Please go to the link and look at the point totals for guys in the league. 55 points is still a 1st liner. So therefore, wouldn't you agree it is a bit ridiculous to call him a 3rd liner?

He is also 21 years old. You think, that through the next 5 years until he reaches his prime, he will only be able to improve 4 points on his current numbers in his sophomore season? Doesn't that seem a bit far-fetched?