HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tortorellaís tactics canít rescue Rangers

Old
05-22-2012, 03:09 PM
EEDAWGZ

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmox View Post
NHL.com just wants the Rangers fan base to panic, hahaha
I think Torts is just trying to send a message to his players , who IMO look gassed

EEDAWGZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 03:10 PM
Tundra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henriks Broadway Hat View Post
Don't understand why Torts needs to do anything extra to motivate them right now. You're in the CONFERENCE FINALS. Is that not enough for them? It's not like you're on a west coast trip in November. You're one of FOUR teams remaining. Enough with the lack of effort.
But what if they're dead tired????? I really have a hard time believing this particular rangers team would ever knowingly quit. It's the hard minutes and mental tension that have added up to their detriment.

Tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 03:12 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

Dan Rosen ‏@drosennhl
Tortorella said he was happy with how the day went for his team, so clearly he did not kick them off the ice in anger.
Expand
Reply Retweet Favorite

Pat Leonard ‏@NYDNRangers
John Tortorella on what he must do to get his top-six forwards going offensively: "Pray. I don't know what else to tell you." #NYR
Expand
Reply Retweet Favorite

05-22-2012, 03:12 PM
Cmox

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEDAWGZ View Post
I think Torts is just trying to send a message to his players , who IMO look gassed
Jesse Spector ‏@jessespector
Quote:
Tortorella: "Practice had some jump. ... Really good day today." showed no film of last night.
I dunno..
It was just a short practice. It seems to be the norm at this time of year.

Cmox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 03:13 PM
Kershaw

Would not shock me if some of the players are turning against Torts. Ie Gaborik, Callahan.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 03:14 PM
Cmox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
Would not shock me if some of the players are turning against Torts. Ie Gaborik, Callahan.
haha, I'm sorry but this makes no sense.

Old
05-22-2012, 03:17 PM
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRFAN218 View Post
Dan Rosen ‏@drosennhl
Tortorella said he was happy with how the day went for his team, so clearly he did not kick them off the ice in anger.
Expand
Reply Retweet Favorite

John Tortorella on what he must do to get his top-six forwards going offensively: "Pray. I don't know what else to tell you." #NYR
Expand
Reply Retweet Favorite
Sorry but that is funny!

GregSirico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Riche16
McCready guitar god

Quote:
Yeah!

Wait. Whaaaaaa?!!!

Ummmm nope.

Riche16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
EEDAWGZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmox View Post
Jesse Spector ‏@jessespector

I dunno..
It was just a short practice. It seems to be the norm at this time of year.
Maybe your right Cmox , but we both know Torts will never be totally honest to the media

Old
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra View Post
But what if they're dead tired????? I really have a hard time believing this particular rangers team would ever knowingly quit. It's the hard minutes and mental tension that have added up to their detriment.
Everyone's tired. Although the Rangers have played the most amount of games this season. But you've got to get through it. These are conditioned athletes, playing in the ECF. Honestly, you guys should be up at least 3-1, if not 4-0. Lundqvist is the only reason this series is tied. And basically, they need perfect performances from him, or else they lose. Someone's got to step up in that locker room, like Mr. Callahan, who hasn't done squat since early in the WASH series.

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

Quote:
There are a lot of things I am worried about ... this is NOT one of them.

Old
05-22-2012, 03:18 PM
FOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by kershaw View Post
would not shock me if some of the players are turning against torts. Ie gaborik, callahan.
moronic is too polite!!

FOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
TankLarkin

Quote:
Gaborik better start worrying about the organization/Ranger Nation turning on him.

TankLarkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Kershaw strikes again!

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 03:20 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

I can probably see Gaborik turning on Tortorella.

Callahan? Nah.

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 03:22 PM
Cmox

Quote:
Tortorella doesn't drop any "Stop, coaching" sound bites, but does tell one reporter he asks "screwy questions" and can't understand 'em
hahaha, on another note people read way too much into what Torts says. He knows his team we, the reporters, media.. etc don't. And I don't mind that.

Old
05-22-2012, 03:25 PM
EEDAWGZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
I can probably see Gaborik turning on Tortorella.

Callahan? Nah.
No disrespect to Gabby , but I agree with this 100%

Old
05-22-2012, 03:39 PM
Jackson Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRanger View Post
The Devils know where our forecheckers are and are going to be so even their bottom 6/bottom pair dance past them, usually giving them an opportunity to have our D backing in from the blueline which makes either puck control or dump and chase extremely effective. The Rangers on the other hand, only get a clean breakout when the Devils are changing, and NJ has 5 guys in the Neutral/Defensive zone. We try our stretch-pass/tip-in combo but because the Devils D is already back and the Rangers forwards have no momentum (not to mention a healthy amount of interference) they almost never reach the puck first. And that is a good breakout. The flip side is when the Devils are in the Rangers zone, and they know under any pressure the Rangers are sending the puck up the boards. The confidence that even their worst D man has to hold the blueline is scary. Meanwhile the Rangers D look like they are changing half the time they are so far back in the Neutral Zone.

I don't know what can be done about effort. If the Rangers are that tired or can't get it together in the ECF against the Devils than there is not much that can be done. But the system can be adjusted. Tinker with the breakout. Tinker with the forecheck.

Or if the Rangers really want to screw with the Devils, trap. Cause their crappy D to make some plays at their blueline and go in full steam off of turnovers. Make the Devils work to get in the zone. Make the forwards have to start accelerating AFTER the puck goes into the zone, then shoot it right out to center.

The Devils had a week to prepare for the Rangers. And when you add that to Torts unwillingness (or inability) to make adjustments you have a dangerous combination. The team either has to wake up and play their game at full speed, or they need to show them something different.
Regarding the breakout, I'd like to see Gabby, Hags or Kreider, split the Devils D with speed and have the defenseman lob the puck over the defensemen. I know this is risky because if they fan on the attempt, the puck will be given up in the slot area. However, if they can do this 2-3 times with some success, you won't even have to do risk the pass because their D will be backing up if the players take off in the middle of the ice. This should also open up the boards for them.

My biggest complaint with Torts is refusal to change the system (breakout, power play, etc). What's the saying from Einstein? Insanity, doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results?

Jackson Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 03:41 PM
NikC

people are losing their marbles now, Carp just wrote in his blog that today's practice was all positive. They did what they needed to and got off the ice.

NikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 03:42 PM
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

BarryM ripping our team pretty bad on the air with Don (ESPN NY)

Old
05-22-2012, 03:54 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson Ranger View Post
Regarding the breakout, I'd like to see Gabby, Hags or Kreider, split the Devils D with speed and have the defenseman lob the puck over the defensemen. I know this is risky because if they fan on the attempt, the puck will be given up in the slot area. However, if they can do this 2-3 times with some success, you won't even have to do risk the pass because their D will be backing up if the players take off in the middle of the ice. This should also open up the boards for them.

My biggest complaint with Torts is refusal to change the system (breakout, power play, etc). What's the saying from Einstein? Insanity, doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results?
I doubt that the Rangers will change the way the play after they played 100 games already.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 04:00 PM
Dactyl
LMFAO KOSTKA

ended after 15 minutes on a high note before it all went down hill

Dactyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 04:00 PM
McRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson Ranger View Post

I agree completely. Try something new. Keep them honest. Considering how mediocre the Devils D is, we should be able to exploit their aggressiveness at the blue line, but we don't, of course.

I didn't address that area of the game because it so rarely happens that the Rangers even get a chance to carry the puck in. And when they do the Devils D come right at them because they know they are not going to do anything with it.

It all comes back to the same point. They never enter the zone with any speed. This allows the D to stand up at the blueline. They try to dump the puck in, with no forward having any momentum, and in a flash its out again. Basically the opposite of the Rangers end, where the D backs up and lets them gain the zone, because if they stand up and the puck gets by them, they know there is a Devil racing in to get it, which will likely be an odd man rush.

The way we do things makes guys like Kreider, Hagelin and Gaborik look slow. Which is an impressive feat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR
I doubt that the Rangers will change the way the play after they played 100 games already.
Why? They've already massively changed. They first 100 games they played with grit and energy.

Making a small alteration here and there is not much of a big deal.

McRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 04:01 PM
PromNite
Armed Android

Send a message via AIM to PromNite
Quote:
Remember when you told me you weren't a Gaborik hater? How's that working out for you?

Adam Tensta's from the 163
PromNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 04:01 PM
Dactyl
LMFAO KOSTKA

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregSirico View Post
BarryM ripping our team pretty bad on the air with Don (ESPN NY)
i hope he picks us to lose

Dactyl is offline   Reply With Quote