Notices

General Sports Other sports without their own forum, and general sports talk

French Open 2012

Old
05-22-2012, 09:47 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
French Open 2012

Qualifying started today on the Men's side. Two Canadians in qualifying, Polansky and Chvojka. Polansky won his first round match and Chvojka plays later today.

At least 3 Canadian men in the Main draw after:

Quote:
Tennis Canada ‏@Tennis_Canada

More good news from Paris. Withdrawals have allowed Frank Dancevic to earn direct entry into the @rolandgarros main draw! #CdnTennis
He will join Raonic and Pospisil.

On the Women's side, Wozniak will get direct entry into the main draw. In qualifying there are Fichman and El Tabakh.

Seeds and main draws will be out later this week.

As for the tournament itself...Nadal has to be the huge favorite right now. Nadal-Djokovic final seems likely but maybe Federer can pull out something.

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 12:44 PM
kihei

vCash: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
As for the tournament itself...Nadal has to be the huge favorite right now. Nadal-Djokovic final seems likely but maybe Federer can pull out something.
I like Ferrer to go deep as well, though he is likely to get nailed by either of the potential finalists.

kihei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 06:55 PM
RECsGuy*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
As for the tournament itself...Nadal has to be the huge favorite right now.
Favorite? Yes. Huge favorite? No. Having gone 0 for his last 3 GS finals (one of which being an epic fifth set collapse), all to the same opponent no less, he's got plenty to prove. With 3 Grand Slams and the Olympics all to be played out over the next 4 months, and the Tour's Elite 3 all playing well at the same time, this summer promises to be interesting.

Last edited by RECsGuy*: 05-22-2012 at 07:29 PM.
RECsGuy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 06:27 AM
Tuggy

Draws came out today

http://www.rolandgarros.com/en_FR/sc.../ms/index.html

Quote:
Potential quarter-final match-ups:

Novak Djokovic – Jo-Wilfried Tsonga

Roger Federer – Thomas Berdych

David Ferrer – Andy Murray

Rafael Nadal – Janko Tipsarevic
For the Canadians:

Dancevic opens with Klizan (#67)

Pospisil with Roger-Vasselin (#83)

Raonic with Ramirez Hidalgo (#73). Raonic is in Nadal's quarter.

Wozniak gets a qualifier

Dubois with Peer (#53)

El Tabakh is still alive in qualifying. She plays later today. So we could have 3 men and 3 women in the main draws!

Old
05-25-2012, 06:33 AM
RECsGuy*

The biggest hurdles for the ATP's Big 4 prior to the semis...

Djokovic
Q: Simon/Wawrinka

Federer
R2: Nalbandian

Murray
R4: Gasquet/Dolgopolov
Q: Ferrer (who will only be tested by Haase [R3])

Nadal
R3: Mayer

---

Semis...

Nadal vs. Ferrer (this is the final)

Djokovic vs. Federer

---

Final...

Nadal vs. Federer

---

Winner...

Nadal

Last edited by RECsGuy*: 05-25-2012 at 08:10 AM.
Old
05-25-2012, 07:00 AM
Deficient Mode
Dril Maher

vCash: 681
Main draw has come out. Novak and Fed again in the same half. Shock that. Fed appears to have an easy path to the quarters: Lopez, Stepanek, and Roddick are the next highest seeds. On the other hand, Nalbandian is once again more dangerous than your average second round opponent. Del Potro-Berdych a potential R16 match the winner of which would face Fed. I wouldn't be surprised if Berdych reached the semis here, despite his shaky results in Düsseldorf this week.

Djokovic would play Melzer again in the third round if the seeds hold. Nothing else in his quarter really stands out - Tsonga, Simon, Verdasco, and Wawrinka are the next highest seeds. Short of drawing Murray in his half he couldn't have asked for a better draw.

Murray's quarter is probably the most interesting in terms of who will advance. Ferrer, Isner, and Gasquet can all handle him on clay without too many favorable circumstances. There's a good chance he won't be challenged before the quarters, though. Gasquet isn't exactly a mental giant; a good performance from him in France is doubtful.

Tipsarevic and Almagro are the next highest seeds in Nadal's quarter. Safe to say there won't be any trouble here. Raonic is also in this section. He'll have a hard time with Ramirez Hidalgo in the first round. Tough draw for him.

Deficient Mode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 07:09 AM
Deficient Mode
Dril Maher

Quote:
Federer

Lol no. Living in the distant past I see.

Quote:
Murray
R4: Gasquet/Dolgopolov
Q: Ferrer (who will only be tested by Haase [R3])
Haase won't make it that far. His run at Monte Carlo was a total fluke.
Quote:

Nadal
Almagro would be a bigger obstacle than Mayer. Not that he'd be much of a challenge either.

Old
05-25-2012, 08:08 AM
RECsGuy*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deficient Mode View Post
Lol no. Living in the distant past I see.
This year, Nalbandian has wins over...

Tsonga
Tipsarevic
Simon
Mayer
Monaco
Cilic

...and has gone the distance against...

Nadal (3 sets)
Murray (3 sets)
Isner (5 sets)

Quote:
Haase won't make it that far.
You think Dodig and Youzhny are big blockades? Familiarize yourself with their 2012 campaigns, especially the Croat.

Quote:
Almagro would be a bigger obstacle than Mayer. Not that he'd be much of a challenge either.
At least Mayer gave Nadal a good run for half a match just over a week ago, not to mention scoring a win over Rafa in less than the last 8 months. Almagro is 0-7 vs. Nadal for his career.

Old
05-25-2012, 08:19 AM
Hossa

Not the easiest draw for Raonic, but he or Ramirez Hidalgo will have an easier second round against either Becker or a qualifier. How much of a threat is Ramirez Hidalgo anyways? He's only won one grand slam match since 2006.

My predictions:

Djokovic/Simon
Federer/Berdych
Ferrer/Murray
Almagro/Nadal

Djokovic/Federer
Ferrer/Nadal

Djokovic/Nadal

Djokovic

Hossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 12:57 PM
Deficient Mode
Dril Maher

Quote:
This year, Nalbandian has wins over...

Tsonga
Tipsarevic
Simon
Mayer
Monaco
Cilic

...and has gone the distance against...

Nadal (3 sets)
Murray (3 sets)
Isner (5 sets)
I can't believe anyone actually thinks Nalbandian at this point is a greater threat to Federer than Del Potro or especially Berdych, who is probably currently the third best on tour against Fed, second best on pure game. A quarterfinal is much less pressure than a final, too, and Berdych would fare better against Fed there than he did in the Madrid final. If the courts play fast again I'd favor him against Fed; not sure if he would beat Delpo though. I'm sort of inclined to think not at this point.

Quote:
You think Dodig and Youzhny are big blockades? Familiarize yourself with their 2012 campaigns, especially the Croat.
At least he had a very memorable 2011. And yes, I think Youzhny will beat Haase. Regardless, Haase a bigger challenge than Isner? Again, I don't know what to say.

Quote:
At least Mayer gave Nadal a good run for half a match just over a week ago, not to mention scoring a win over Rafa in less than the last 8 months. Almagro is 0-7 vs. Nadal for his career.
Almagro is a vastly superior clay courter to Mayer. Neither will beat Rafa, but Almagro might take a set if Rafa's having an off day.

All three of these players would qualify as huge surprise picks, but by no means are any of them the greatest hurdle to Fed, Rafa, or Ferrer, which is what you said.

Old
05-27-2012, 08:24 AM
RECsGuy*

My prediction for who the men's semifinalists will be and their respective paths...

NADAL
R1: Bolelli
R2: Kunitsyn
R4: Monaco
Q: Almagro
S: Ferrer
F: Federer

FERRER
R1: Lacko
R2: Ramos
R3: Haase
R4: Granollers
Q: Murray

FEDERER
R1: Kamke
R3: Klizan
R4: Stepanek
Q: Ferrero
S: Djokovic

DJOKOVIC
R1: Starace
R2: Kavcic
R3: Melzer
R4: Davydeko
Q: Simon

Old
05-27-2012, 09:48 AM
kihei

I'm picking Gulbis. That seems risky. So I'll pick Fognini, too. And just to be on the safe side: Nadal.

Just had time to catch Kuznetsov stomping on the usual still half-asleep Tsonga in the first set. The kid looked pretty good and saved a ton on break points with clever play. I don't know how the other courts are playing but Phillipe Chatrier looks very quick to me.

Old
05-27-2012, 09:59 AM
Hossa

Kuznetsov's strokes are absolutely beautiful, and with a bit more consistency and physical maturation, he looks like he could really be a player. In this match though, Tsonga should be able to come back.

Delpo didn't look entirely healthy in his match against Montanes, not that this is really his surface anyways.

Hossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2012, 10:02 AM
kihei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hossa View Post
Kuznetsov's strokes are absolutely beautiful, and with a bit more consistency and physical maturation, he looks like he could really be a player. In this match though, Tsonga should be able to come back.
Definitely. He is very much fun to watch. And, yeah, I expect Tsonga will get his wake up call and recover.

Old
05-27-2012, 10:29 AM
Deficient Mode
Dril Maher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hossa View Post
Delpo didn't look entirely healthy in his match against Montanes, not that this is really his surface anyways.
No it is his surface. The knee was bothering him at Rome too. Troubling for him and his chances here. Hopefully he doesn't have to withdraw or retire.

Mahut up a set and a break on Roddick. Classic clay court battle this.

Mahut wins in four. Not sure why Roddick is still on tour. He's a shadow of his former self, totally lacking in motivation but not in wealth.

Last edited by Deficient Mode: 05-27-2012 at 11:49 AM.
Old
05-27-2012, 10:05 PM
Vamos Rafa

The schedule confuses me. When is Nadal playing his first match? I can't find him in the Day 2 column.

http://www.rolandgarros.com/en_FR/sc...schedule7.html

Vamos Rafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 01:29 AM
Deficient Mode
Dril Maher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grillinnap View Post
The schedule confuses me. When is Nadal playing his first match? I can't find him in the Day 2 column.

http://www.rolandgarros.com/en_FR/sc...schedule7.html
On Day 3. They split up the first round over three days.

Old
05-28-2012, 04:38 AM
Deficient Mode
Dril Maher

Dancevic retired after losing four straight games against Klizan. Lopez retired after losing five straight against Serra. Saw the latter match but didn't notice Feli's injury.

Old
05-28-2012, 05:31 AM
G F O P

http://twitter.com/cbfowler/statuses/207056414588403712
Quote:
Federer-Kamke about to start, but the huge Upset Alert is Azarenka in deep trouble- would be first women's #1 to lose GS opener in 11 yrs

G F O P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 05:37 AM
Deficient Mode
Dril Maher

Ha. Brianti 4-0 in the second but Renka wins 6 straight games for the set. Sometimes I wish I were a betting man.

Fed looks good in black and yellow. Fed breaks to open the match and Kamke breaks back. 2-2 now but Fed gets it right back at love.

Last edited by Deficient Mode: 05-28-2012 at 06:00 AM.
Old
05-28-2012, 06:12 AM
Tuggy

Quote:
Dancevic retired after losing four straight games against Klizan. Lopez retired after losing five straight against Serra. Saw the latter match but didn't notice Feli's injury.
Yup, more of the same for Frank guy can never stay healthy.

Raonic on the court later today. So far only one Canadian (Wozinak) has made it into the second round and she beat a Canadian to get there. Although this is her best GS, as this marks the 5th year in a row where she has at least made the second round. She is in Azarenka's quarter so we'll see if the upset happens.

Old
05-28-2012, 07:09 AM
Corto
Faceless Man

My brother and myself have had a theory for about 5 years now that uncle Tony is rigging the draws for the Slams.

In the last 17 slams, no matter how they rotated in the top-3, Federer and Djokovic were in the same half 16 times.
16/17! That's like... Impossible. O.o

Not only that, but all the big nukers who can bother Nadal (albeit on a bad day) seemingly always end up in the other half of the draw).

So, Feds and Djokovic have JMDP, Berdych, Tsonga, Nalbandian, even Cilic, etc.

Nadal's draw up until a semi with either an out-of-form Murray or Ferrer features myself, Beth Middler, Ron Jeremy and Rod Laver - but even he had to ask a special permit to play from uncle Tony because he won tournaments 40 years ago.

Corto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-28-2012, 07:22 AM
Deficient Mode
Dril Maher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corto View Post
My brother and myself have had a theory for about 5 years now that uncle Tony is rigging the draws for the Slams.

In the last 17 slams, no matter how they rotated in the top-3, Federer and Djokovic were in the same half 16 times.
16/17! That's like... Impossible. O.o

Not only that, but all the big nukers who can bother Nadal (albeit on a bad day) seemingly always end up in the other half of the draw).

So, Feds and Djokovic have JMDP, Berdych, Tsonga, Nalbandian, even Cilic, etc.

Nadal's draw up until a semi with either an out-of-form Murray or Ferrer features myself, Beth Middler, Ron Jeremy and Rod Laver - but even he had to ask a special permit to play from uncle Tony because he won tournaments 40 years ago.
Ha. It's actually only 14 of 17 (RG 2008 and 2010, AO 2012), but still...

That's what makes the politics of the Madrid event so interesting: you have tennis mobster Toni against legit mobster Tiriac.

Nadal definitely got lucky here again.

Old
05-28-2012, 07:36 AM
Deficient Mode
Dril Maher

Good god. Kukushkin was up two sets to love and 5-1 in the third before giving up seven straight games, the fourth set, and a break in the fifth against Gulbis of all mental stalwarts. He got the break back though and it's 2-2. Too bad this one isn't televised.

Old
05-28-2012, 08:18 AM
kihei

As a Nadal fan, I have to admit the draws do seem a tad favourable of late, including this one. Still, Laver makes me nervous.

Ernests out in what appears to be a heart-breaking five set match.