HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Put Paul Henderson in the Hockey Hall of Fame

Closed Thread

Old
05-22-2012, 12:28 PM
Rocket Richard
Proud Canadian!!!!!

vCash: 500
Put Paul Henderson in the Hockey Hall of Fame

Remember, they put Tretiak in the Hockey Hall of Fame, yet the Soviets (CCCP) lost the series?????????

http://www.putpaulinthehall.ca/

Old
05-22-2012, 01:03 PM
um

tretiak is in the hall for a reason, the hall is for elite players

Old
05-22-2012, 01:17 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Outside of 8 games in September 1972 Paul Henderson was an average to good player. He did great things in those 8 games, but he was not a "great" player - at least not by what Hockey Hall of Fame standards are or at least should be.

He may be held on the same lofty regard as Gretzky or Richard, but he was nowhere near their level of player. He was a solid winger who went up and down his wing in workmanlike fashion for over 1000 major league games, over 700 of which were in the National Hockey League. Unlike most Hall of Famers he never won a single post-season award or was named to an all star team. His best season was a 38 goal explosion in 1971-72 but his highest NHL single season point production was just 60 points. And he never won a Stanley Cup.

When electing players to the Hockey Hall of Fame, we must look at each players' career as a whole. We can not look at a small sampling of his career. When we do that it becomes obvious that Paul Henderson does not belong in the Hockey Hall of Fame.

That's alright. He doesn't need to be in the Hockey Hall of Fame. His status as a hockey immortal far exceeds most of the Hall of Famers. And he will forever be remembered in hockey folklore.
http://www.1972summitseries.com/hendersoninthehall.html

Old
05-22-2012, 02:29 PM
Drij

Quote:
Originally Posted by um View Post
lots of players in that aren't elite.

Old
05-22-2012, 02:58 PM
saskganesh

Paul Henderson. He was no Dick Duff.

Henderson is a legend. If the Hall does not want him, they are diminished.

Old
05-22-2012, 03:27 PM
Melnyks Mirage
We are what we are.

vCash: 50
No, and Liam Maguire you should really give this a rest.

Henderson had a pedestrian NHL career and simply was a "right place right time" player.
How many Olympics did he lead? How about subsequent Canada Cups?

Put it this way:

Is the NHL's first goal-scorer in? Found Dave Ritchie for this. Is he in?
Is the first Olympic goal-scorer in?
Is the first NHL playoff-clincher in?
Is the first NHL playoff overtime scorer in?
How about the first overtime goal in the NHL?

See where I'm going with this?
Tretiak is in because he had dominance over an extended period.

Henderson does not belong in the NHL Hall of Fame.
If the IIHF wants to honour him, that would be the spot.

Old
05-22-2012, 03:31 PM
moog35

his career was average except for his play in the summit series, does not belong in the hall of fame....final judgement

Old
05-22-2012, 09:10 PM
smitty10

Paul Henderson definitely does not belong in the Hall of Fame. Anyone who thinks that he does obviously does not know what the Hall of Fame stands for and what it takes to be inducted to this elite group of players. He was an average to slightly above average NHL player who scored one big goal in his career.

This is not indicative of a Hall of Famer.

Old
05-22-2012, 09:28 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Richard View Post
Remember, they put Tretiak in the Hockey Hall of Fame, yet the Soviets (CCCP) lost the series?????????

You already lost your argument...

One goal by itself (no matter how important) does not make a player qualify for the HHOF.

Old
05-22-2012, 10:41 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
If Henderson was a HHOF-worthy player, he'd have been inducted years ago.

One fluke Summit Series goal doesn't make him a lock for the Hall.

That would be like me clamoring for Brenden Morrow to make the HHOF had he scored the Olympic OT winner instead of Crosby.

Hell, even Crosby doesn't deserve to make it in based solely on that one goal. Same goes for Henderson.

05-23-2012, 03:00 AM
svartgul
Hata Löven

Send a message via ICQ to svartgul Send a message via MSN to svartgul Send a message via Skype™ to svartgul
One goal shouldn't get you into the Hall of Fame.

Old
05-23-2012, 03:45 AM
backs4mvp

Put him in the Canadian sports hall of fame, unless he's already been inducted there?

Old
05-23-2012, 08:54 AM
Human
cynic

Quote:

yeah, that's why they put Tretiak in...

Old
05-23-2012, 10:55 AM
Mr Kanadensisk

In my heart I would love to see Henderon in, but not sure if he quite meets the criteria. Robert Reichel scored the winner for the Czech's in '98 but don't think I would put him in either.

Old
05-23-2012, 10:57 AM
BobDobolina

vCash: 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Kanadensisk View Post
In my heart I would love to see Henderon in, but not sure if he quite meets the criteria. Robert Reichel scored the winner for the Czech's in '98 but don't think I would put him in either.
That was Petr Svoboda.

Old
05-23-2012, 11:06 AM
Theokritos

Svoboda scored the game winner against Russia. But of course for Mr Kanadensisk only Canada matters: the moment the Czechs eliminated Canada, they had the Gold Medal pretty much ensured and so Reichel's game winning penalty shot in the Semi Finals becomes "the winner".

Old
05-23-2012, 11:30 AM
Yakushev72

Quote:
Originally Posted by um View Post

Obviously, the criteria for admission is not limited to NHL performance. Otherwise, Tretiak wouldn't be admissable. Without Henderson and Phil Esposito, it is unlikely that Canada would have won the 1972 series. No one else on the team was producing like those two. Of the two, I would give the edge to Henderson, because he scored so many clutch goals that were game-winners. His style of play was ideally suited to international play (he was the fastest skater in the NHL during that era, and he had the magnificent puck-handling skills to complete the package), and his impact on the history of hockey is likely far greater than most who are in the hockey hall.

I would also question why, if he wasn't elite, was he selected to Team Canada in the first place? In 1972, there no Europeans and only 3 or 4 Americans in the NHL, so I would have to believe he was considered to be elite by those who selected the team.

Old
05-23-2012, 11:35 AM
Yakushev72

Quote:
Originally Posted by svartgul View Post
One goal shouldn't get you into the Hall of Fame.
He scored more than one game-winning goal when Canada's back was literally to the wall. He scored key goals, and was Canada's best offensive player (all due respect to Phil Esposito) during the entire series. He was one of the main reasons Canada won, and not just Game 8.

Old
05-23-2012, 01:15 PM
Hennessy
Blank Space

vCash: 1100
So everybody that has ever won the Conn Smythe should get into the HoF? Even that comparison is overly-generous to Henderson.

I can't believe we're having a serious discussion about this. One that involves disparaging Tretiak to boost Henderson. Madness. Insobriety. Immaturity. Something untoward.

Old
05-23-2012, 01:20 PM
smitty10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hennessy View Post
So everybody that has ever won the Conn Smythe should get into the HoF? Even that comparison is overly-generous to Henderson.

I can't believe we're having a serious discussion about this. One that involves disparaging Tretiak to boost Henderson. Madness. Insobriety. Immaturity. Something untoward.
This.

It just goes to show that some people have no understanding of what it takes to get into the Hall of Fame. Henderson should be in the IIHF Hall of Fame, but not the Hockey Hall of Fame.

Old
05-23-2012, 01:36 PM
Mr Kanadensisk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theokritos View Post
Svoboda scored the game winner against Russia. But of course for Mr Kanadensisk only Canada matters: the moment the Czechs eliminated Canada, they had the Gold Medal pretty much ensured and so Reichel's game winning penalty shot in the Semi Finals becomes "the winner".

got me there, I was thinking of the Canada game

Old
05-23-2012, 01:42 PM
habitue*

Quote:

Henderson has always been an average two-way player who just happen to light up for few games in the fall on 1972...

Having him in the HoF makes as much sense than having Dickie Duff up there...

Old
05-23-2012, 02:02 PM
Allen Degenerate
Embrace the Hate

vCash: 938
If one good series gets you in, Franzen should have his waiting period waived for dismantling the Avs a few years ago. All that needs to be said has been said, but comparing Tretiak to Henderson shows a shaky understanding of hockey history.

Old
05-23-2012, 02:38 PM
Theokritos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakushev72 View Post
Obviously, the criteria for admission is not limited to NHL performance. Otherwise, Tretiak wouldn't be admissable.
International performance matters, but what did Henderson do outside of the 1972 Summit? It was by far his brightest hour. No comparison to Tretiak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakushev72 View Post
I would also question why, if he wasn't elite, was he selected to Team Canada in the first place? In 1972, there no Europeans and only 3 or 4 Americans in the NHL, so I would have to believe he was considered to be elite by those who selected the team.
All in all there were 37 players selected for the team. All of them were good NHL players, but I wouldn't necessarily call the 10th best defenseman in the NHL or the 8th best left wing "elite". Are Jocelyn Guvremont and Bill Goldsworthy elite players in your opinion? I wouldn't call Slava Solodukhin or Yuri Shatalov elite players either, even though they were selected for Team USSR.

Old
05-23-2012, 02:46 PM
Inkling
Proud to be a Mammal

Quote:
Originally Posted by backs4mvp View Post
Put him in the Canadian sports hall of fame, unless he's already been inducted there?
Agreed. He is already in there, as he should be.

He should be in the HHoF in a special exhibit on the 72 Series perhaps, but not in the Hall proper IMO. If he should be in there, should Mike Eruzione be in there as well? He scored a pretty big goal in hockey history as well.

Closed Thread