HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Put Paul Henderson in the Hockey Hall of Fame

Closed Thread

Old
05-25-2012, 07:43 AM
smitty10

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayzinSmith View Post
One week does not make a career. His NHL stats are similar to guys like Mariusz Czerkawski, Nikolai Antropov, and Randy Burridge.
Judging by most of the posts here, both Czerkawski and Antropov should both be in the HHOF as well because they're the best and most famous hockey players developed by their respective countries and put up decent numbers in the NHL.

Old
05-25-2012, 09:31 AM
Back In Black
CANADA IS HOCKEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by um View Post
do you know who tretiak is???
He was the water boy for a great "amateur" team, as they tried to lie about which was the the whole reason Canada boycotted the Olympics & World Cups.

If Canada did play all those Olympics & World Cups, they would have won most of them, and you'd be saying Tretiak who??????

Paul Henderson a Canadian Heroe!

Old
05-25-2012, 09:35 AM
smitty10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Richard View Post
He was the water boy for a great "amateur" team, as they tried to lie about which was the the whole reason Canada boycotted the Olympics & World Cups.

If Canada did play all those Olympics & World Cups, they would have won most of them, and you'd be saying Tretiak who??????

What?

Old
05-25-2012, 09:59 AM
Back In Black
CANADA IS HOCKEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty10 View Post
What?
What, what?

I'm sure your aware that Canada did not participate in any of those World Cups & Olympics, hence they invented The Inaugural Canada Cup in 1976, which of couse they beat Tretiaks team.

I'm not trying to insult Tretiak, as he was a good goalie on a good team, that beat Canada in 1981, but he never did anything heroic for his country.

Vote for Paul henderson. http://www.putpaulinthehall.ca/

Old
05-25-2012, 12:13 PM
Jussi
Hey everyone

Somebody needs to start a www.dontputpaulinthehall.ca site.

Old
05-25-2012, 01:05 PM
RorschachWJK

Paul Henderson should absolutely get inducted in the Hall of Fame...and while the doors are open, Joe from the pizzeria down the street should also get in. After all, there's reliable eyewitnesses reporting that Joe has been seen playing pond hockey, twice!

Old
05-25-2012, 01:22 PM
vecens24

Quote:

You've got to be kidding me on this post.

Old
05-25-2012, 03:00 PM
Uncle Rotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jekoh View Post
Czechoslovakia.
The team that won Bronze at the Olympics, then won the post-Olympic World Championships playing at home?

Old
05-25-2012, 03:04 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

If Henderson is going to get consideration for the hall then more deserving players like Jim Craig should get in first.

Old
05-25-2012, 03:13 PM
BrindamoursNose

Quote:
Originally Posted by vecens24 View Post
You've got to be kidding me on this post.
He was being sarcastic

Old
05-25-2012, 04:07 PM
jekoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rotter View Post
The team that won Bronze at the Olympics, then won the post-Olympic World Championships playing at home?
The team that won the World Championships over the USSR, yes.

Old
05-25-2012, 06:16 PM
Uncle Rotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan Of Every Anton View Post
There is no NHL Hall of Fame. The HHoF is not restricted to simply NHL players.
There is an IIHF Hall Of Fame but it's a hideous joke

Old
05-25-2012, 06:27 PM
Uncle Rotter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jekoh View Post
The team that won the World Championships over the USSR, yes.
We'll have to disagree. The Czechs beat the USSR by 1 goal & they tied in the other game in Prague. USSR won by 3 goals at the Olympics. Plus the Czechs lost by 4 goals to the USA.

Old
05-25-2012, 06:58 PM
Back In Black
CANADA IS HOCKEY

By the way for some of you that are not aware, this September is the 40th anniversary of the '72 Summit Series, and if you haven't seen it or it's been awhile, I urge you to find a copy of the series and see the "cold war" for yourself.

It's not as fast as Today's Hockey, but you will see what it was like 40 years ago!

If Bobby Orr could have played (injured) and Bobby Hull (was in the WHA), then the series would have been a lot different, but it is what it is!

Old
05-25-2012, 09:44 PM
Redbarchettayyz

vCash: 1002
Quote:
By the way for some of you that are not aware, this September is the 40th anniversary of the '72 Summit Series, and if you haven't seen it or it's been awhile, I urge you to find a copy of the series and see the "cold war" for yourself.

It's not as fast as Today's Hockey, but you will see what it was like 40 years ago!

If Bobby Orr could have played (injured) and Bobby Hull (was in the WHA), then the series would have been a lot different, but it is what it is!

The Hall has enough weak entries as it is, that's no reason to try and shoehorn in an average-to good player like Henderson for only one weeks worth of exhibition hockey.

Old
05-26-2012, 01:47 AM
jekoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rotter View Post
We'll have to disagree. The Czechs beat the USSR by 1 goal & they tied in the other game in Prague. USSR won by 3 goals at the Olympics. Plus the Czechs lost by 4 goals to the USA.
The Olympics are a different tournament and thus completely irrelevant, and Czechoslovakia didn't even play the USA at the Worlds.

Czechoslovakia topped the USSR at the Worlds and thus were the best team at that point.

Old
05-26-2012, 12:22 PM
Back In Black
CANADA IS HOCKEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbarchettayyz View Post
The Hall has enough weak entries as it is, that's no reason to try and shoehorn in an average-to good player like Henderson for only one weeks worth of exhibition hockey.
So don't vote! Oh and it was longer than one week, learn your history!

Vote for Paul Henderson. http://www.putpaulinthehall.ca/

Old
05-27-2012, 01:12 PM
Jussi
Hey everyone

Quote:
So don't vote! Oh and it was longer than one week, learn your history!

You do realize that since you're at HFBoards, the more you plug this, the fewer people will bother to vote?

Old
05-27-2012, 01:35 PM
Yakushev72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theokritos View Post
International performance matters, but what did Henderson do outside of the 1972 Summit? It was by far his brightest hour. No comparison to Tretiak.

All in all there were 37 players selected for the team. All of them were good NHL players, but I wouldn't necessarily call the 10th best defenseman in the NHL or the 8th best left wing "elite". Are Jocelyn Guvremont and Bill Goldsworthy elite players in your opinion? I wouldn't call Slava Solodukhin or Yuri Shatalov elite players either, even though they were selected for Team USSR.
All 8 games of the '72 series are available in DVD from a variety of sources. I would invite you to watch the games. There were 2 dominant players for Team Canada, Paul Henderson and Phil Esposito. No one else produced results on the level of those two, and as I said, you have to give Henderson the edge over Esposito in that series. And it was an 8-game series, not just a game or two. People are talking about "one goal," as if that's all he did for the entire series. Canada could have lost the series before Game 8, and in my opinion, Henderson was the biggest reason why they didn't. To Canadians, winning that series was a lot more important than any Stanley Cup series.

Old
05-27-2012, 02:05 PM
Back In Black
CANADA IS HOCKEY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
You do realize that since you're at HFBoards, the more you plug this, the fewer people will bother to vote?
Oh contraire mon ami. The more I "defend it" the more it stays in the recent threads!

If you were born Canadian you would understand the pride we have!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakushev72 View Post
All 8 games of the '72 series are available in DVD from a variety of sources. I would invite you to watch the games. There were 2 dominant players for Team Canada, Paul Henderson and Phil Esposito. No one else produced results on the level of those two, and as I said, you have to give Henderson the edge over Esposito in that series. And it was an 8-game series, not just a game or two. People are talking about "one goal," as if that's all he did for the entire series. Canada could have lost the series before Game 8, and in my opinion, Henderson was the biggest reason why they didn't. To Canadians, winning that series was a lot more important than any Stanley Cup series.
I couldn't have said it better myself Yakushev72. Thank you.

Closed Thread