HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

2014 — Canada Roster Discussion (Part XIII) Release: Tuesday @ 11:00 AM EST on TSN

Closed Thread

Old
01-06-2014, 12:12 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

vCash: 500
2014 — Canada Roster Discussion (Part XIII) Release: Tuesday @ 11:00 AM EST on TSN

Hawkguy is pretty close to mine (we agree on something?!!)

Stamkos - Crosby - St-Louis [supercharged offense and they all skate and backcheck]
Marleau - Getzlaf - Perry [Marleau's experience speed and defence fits the 2]
Sharp - Toews - Giroux [replace G with Bergeron if in shutdown mode]
Benn - Tavares - Couture [young but good defensively and fairly fast]
Duchene (scratch) - Bergeron

Keith - Weber [all the ****ing time]
JBo- Pietrangelo [JBo has actually carried AP at times]
Vlasic - Doughty [V stays back/DD does his thing, replace V with PK when down]
Hamhuis (scratch) - Subban (7th) [Subban 2nd PP with DD, draws in if V or DD doesn't pull his weight]

Price
Luongo
Smith (scratch)

Last edited by Trance Kuja: 01-06-2014 at 06:54 PM.
Old
01-06-2014, 12:15 PM
Grub
First Line Troll

vCash: 883
Luongo is currently injured hopefully it's not something serious

Old
01-06-2014, 12:16 PM
radapex

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grub View Post
Luongo is currently injured hopefully it's not something serious
So far, all signs point to the dreaded high ankle sprain. If the MRI confirms that, then he's looking at a likely 6+ week recovery forcing him to miss Sochi.

Old
01-06-2014, 12:17 PM
MrBrightside

Quote:
It's a credit to Crosby and Malkin, they're viewed as a step above the rest of the class most seasons. Whereas a guy like Getzlaf is elite, but he's with a group of guys with very little seperation. When Crosby and Malkin are on, they usually have a decent points seperation on the rest of the league, you don't see that with the other guys you mentioned. So that undeservedly or deservedly results in people questioning their teammates true ability.
This is a good point, though I'd think St. Louis would still suffer a bit.

I really do see why people feel this way about Kunitz, and I see why people would have felt this way 2 years ago about Neal. I do think, however, that Neal has taken massive steps forward the last 2 seasons and has become as dominant of a pure goal scorer as you'll find among Team Canada's options (Other than Stamkos) while not being a liability otherwise. But as an American and as a Penguins fan, I hope he isn't taken...let him rest for 3 weeks.

Old
01-06-2014, 12:22 PM
Kranix
shempionship

Just sos you know, guys, I'll be posting my roster ahead of tomorrow's selection extravaganza, and I have taken Neal into consideration.

Old
01-06-2014, 12:23 PM
darkbrew

I think Neal is absolutely perfect for the team. Unless we want 14 guys who are used to hogging the puck and nobody used to just finding open space and shooting. Outside of stamkos these guys are all 'playmakers', but they are all used to having the puck a ton. Neal is used to being the synergistic element.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.h...iewName=points

More PPG than Malkin or Stamkos. Malkin was bad until Neal came back. He is very dependent on him lately.

Old
01-06-2014, 12:23 PM
DyerMaker66

Quote:
Originally Posted by mighty all the way View Post
Hall should not be on the team. Rumor has it that he can't spell intensity.

Seriously, there's no room for him in a top six role and he is not suited for a bottom six role.
I really hope this becomes a meme for having no legitimate reason for putting down a player:

Sidney Crosby: 2 time NHLPA MVP: Can't spell intensity.
Alex Ovechkin: 3 time NHL MVP: Can't spell intensity.

Please Internet God, let that happen.

Old
01-06-2014, 12:24 PM
Helistin
Dustin's equilibrium

That would be a solid roster for world juniors

Old
01-06-2014, 12:25 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Just to update on Luongo; he's having an MRI today. Not sure on what piece of anatomy, but smart money is on groin/leg/ankle.

01-06-2014, 12:26 PM
Kranix
shempionship

Malkin was so dog**** until the Pens traded for Neal.

Old
01-06-2014, 12:27 PM
radapex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
Just to update on Luongo; he's having an MRI today. Not sure on what piece of anatomy, but smart money is on groin/leg/ankle.
Could certainly be groin since that's what he was just coming back from but TSN's Farhan Lalji speculated high ankle sprain because Luongo felt fine until the next day, which is typicaly of a HAS.

Old
01-06-2014, 12:28 PM
Frederick Stanley
Global Moderator
Lord Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
Quote:
Olympic Hockey News ‏@OlympicHckyNews 4h
Roberto Luongo (Canada) suffered a high ankle sprain and was placed on IR. How does that affect Canada's goaltending in Sochi?
Not sure who's running this twitter account.

Old
01-06-2014, 12:30 PM
darkbrew

Hopefully it will be irrelevant... Price should be starting.

Old
01-06-2014, 12:30 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkbrew View Post
Outside of stamkos these guys are all 'playmakers'
Do you read what you type? How the **** are Perry, Sharp, Benn not shooters? They can all pass with a dish of sauce but they have great selection of shots. Have you seen Crosby, MSL, Getzlaf, Giroux, Marleau, Tavares snipe top shelf or slap goals left and right? Give me a ****ing break. Everyone on the team can pass and score very ****ing well. And on the team I selected every line is solid offensively, speed-wise and defensively.

Old
01-06-2014, 12:33 PM
HC Bienne
@llopesso19

Olympic Games are not a prize contest for more points. You have to make a real team. A Wing guy know's how to score goals and assists? Great put him in top two lines. But you can't put him in fourth line. He doesn't know how to check.

Old
01-06-2014, 12:34 PM
Homesick
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyerMaker66 View Post
I really hope this becomes a meme for having no legitimate reason for putting down a player:

Sidney Crosby: 2 time NHLPA MVP: Can't spell intensity.
Alex Ovechkin: 3 time NHL MVP: Can't spell intensity.

Please Internet God, let that happen.
I'd live to see Hall make the team but I doubt he makes it.
The poster who claims "Hall can't spell intensity" is clueless about him. He wants to win more than any other Oiler and I'm surprised that he can still bring it every game. The kid was a 2 time Memorial Cup MVP. You don't get that from riding teammates coat tails

01-06-2014, 12:36 PM
radapex

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightDuck View Post
Malkin was so dog**** until the Pens traded for Neal.
Neal gets undervalued because he plays with Malkin. Most people assume that Neal's good because of Malkin, but it's a two-way street.

Malkin's scored 27 points in 15 games with Neal this season and 17 points in 18 games without him.

Neal's scored 23 points in 15 games with Malkin this season and 11 points in 10 games without him.

Old
01-06-2014, 12:37 PM
DyerMaker66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesick View Post
I'd live to see Hall make the team but I doubt he makes it.
The poster who claims "Hall can't spell intensity" is clueless about him. He wants to win more than any other Oiler and I'm surprised that he can still bring it every game. The kid was a 2 time Memorial Cup MVP. You don't get that from riding teammates coat tails
I think the first part of his post was a joke. I could easily see him as a top-line winger or not on the team at all, depending on what Stevie Y wants.

Old
01-06-2014, 12:39 PM
DyerMaker66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Special One View Post
Olympic Games are not a prize contest for more points. You have to make a real team. A Wing guy know's how to score goals and assists? Great put him in top two lines. But you can't put him in fourth line. He doesn't know how to check.
Milan Lucic and players of the like are not winning you this tournament.

Old
01-06-2014, 12:39 PM
MrBrightside

Quote:
Is this true? Do you really need a shutdown line in the Olympics? Is there really a reason you don't just put your 4 best scoring lines out there? Teams don't do it in the NHL because of a salary cap and you can't afford to have 4 scoring lines. When that isn't an issue, why on Earth would you take ice time away from elite players to play checking line guys?

Old
01-06-2014, 12:42 PM
DyerMaker66

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkbrew View Post
Hopefully it will be irrelevant... Price should be starting.
I concur; I really hope this hasn't changed any plans.

Old
01-06-2014, 12:45 PM
Leafsdude7
Stand-Up Philosopher

Send a message via AIM to Leafsdude7 Send a message via MSN to Leafsdude7 Send a message via Yahoo to Leafsdude7
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBrightside View Post
Is this true? Do you really need a shutdown line in the Olympics? Is there really a reason you don't just put your 4 best scoring lines out there? Teams don't do it in the NHL because of a salary cap and you can't afford to have 4 scoring lines. When that isn't an issue, why on Earth would you take ice time away from elite players to play checking line guys?
Because defense wins championships.

But beyond that, the fact is we have about 2 lines worth of 1st line scorers that can play a defensive role (Bergeron, Toews, Sharp, Richards). While we won't be taking our 12 best scorers, it's not like we're going to be going with 4 line checkers like Jay McClement or Rich Peverley to round out the roster.

Old
01-06-2014, 12:46 PM
crazycanuck

Quote:
The idea that the 4th line is a checking line is something we've become accustomed to in the NHL but it's not something that teams should/need to do in international tournaments when it's best on best. The Canadian World Jrs just proved this, their 4th line was horrible and couldn't be played.

The best way to design a team like this is to find the right combination of players that if need be you can play all 4 lines as close to equal amount of time each game.

Old
01-06-2014, 12:51 PM
hitmen19

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyerMaker66 View Post
Milan Lucic and players of the like are not winning you this tournament.
I love these blanket statements. So Sweden is taking Franzen, and lucic is a better skater then he is. Does that mean Sweden isn't going to win either? Holmstrom played in torino, and I do recall Sweden won that tournament, and we all know how fast he was.

Not saying lucic should be on team, saying just because you have a big strong body, that can stand in front of the net and crash the boards on the team doesn't imply your not going to win

Old
01-06-2014, 12:53 PM
dirk41

Do you know why the bottom-six top-six dichotomy exists? Because there usually isn't enough talent to spread on four lines. This isn't a problem here. **** this "durdurdur he doesn't fit a fourth-line role." Who says a fourth line can't score ****ing goals?

Closed Thread