HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Goalie Dilemna

View Poll Results: How should the jackets resolve their goalie dilemna?
Sign the 2 best UFA's available 16 28.07%
Sign a UFA & re-sign Sanford 24 42.11%
Insist on a starting goalie as part of the Nash trade 9 15.79%
Trade for Luongo exclusive of Nash deal 7 12.28%
Trade for a goalie other than in a Nash or Luongo deal 15 26.32%
Other 10 17.54%
Draft both Subban and Dansk if available 11 19.30%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
05-23-2012, 12:16 PM
Cyclones Rock

vCash: 500
Like everyone else here, I seem to have left out York.

No reason that he shouldn't be in the mix as organizational depth. I'd hope that he is signed to an AHL contract after his excellent showing here last year. I'd re think my initial post and leave off Dekanich or Desjardins. Unless it's standard to have five goalies on AHL or NHL contracts in an organization.

Old
05-23-2012, 12:20 PM
36kap36

WHAT ABOUT HUNWICK?!

Realistically, though, I would LOVE to get Harding and keep Mason the back-up and maybe keep Dex on a small, 2-way contract. Do I see that working out? Doubtfull, but that would be my choice.

Old
05-23-2012, 01:28 PM
Xoggz22
HFB Partner

Trying to stay on topic....

I'm just going to pick a guy I think the CBJ will have interest in (insert any other name but hopefully the thought process is what comes through in this post). If the CBJ has interest in Harding I would like to see them contact the Wild BEFORE the draft to gauge interest from Minnesota. If a late round pick this year, or next, can be flipped I think you take the chance and secure the position prior to any other player movement. This may not completely solve the problem but it does help minimize it. The same could be true with Vokoun or Ellis or ????

We would still need another goalie but maybe that opens up different options with a Nash deal. I'm not one who wants the focal point of the Nash deal to be a goaltender but I certainly wouldn't mind if a longer range goaltending prospect was added to the mix. That starts to replenish the cupboard and you still draft one. Now you can see what happens in free agency and elect to sign another after the dust settles. Take the CBJ out of play for the heavy UFA period.

Granted if there is another trade to be made I'm all for it but I'd really like to see the position shored up prior to the draft if at all possible.

Old
05-23-2012, 01:29 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
Vancouver gets the two best pieces in that deal. Luongo is 33 and likely to start declining. I might be the only one who espouses taking a real hardball stance with Vancouver over acquiring Luongo, but this goes too far the other way.
So a 2nd is better than Kesler? I think something has went awry here.

Old
05-23-2012, 04:31 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
I'm admittedly biased; I'm not a Kesler fan. Even setting that aside, I think he's horribly overrated; he's a slightly better version of Umberger, with the hype normally reserved for a HOFer.

Old
05-23-2012, 04:34 PM
jacks johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
I may be misreading, but thought he was saying the second pick in the draft, and Nash, for Kesler, and Luongo. No way in my book, if Nash and Kesler were a wash, that would mean we are giving up the second pick to take luongo and his awful contract, on place of a young player that could be much cheaper, and most likely a very good player for many years. Not sure why Luongo is even brought up here, were going to rebuild but go out and sign a goalie that makes over 5 mill per year for the next zillion years, who is already 33 ?

Old
05-23-2012, 04:37 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacks Johnson View Post
I may be misreading, but thought he was saying the second pick in the draft, and Nash, for Kesler, and Luongo.
You are right, either way Kesler is worth more than the 2nd.

Old
05-23-2012, 04:40 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacks Johnson View Post
I may be misreading, but thought he was saying the second pick in the draft, and Nash, for Kesler, and Luongo. No way in my book, if Nash and Kesler were a wash, that would mean we are giving up the second pick to take luongo and his awful contract, on place of a young player that could be much cheaper, and most likely a very good player for many years. Not sure why Luongo is even brought up here, were going to rebuild but go out and sign a goalie that makes over 5 mill per year for the next zillion years, who is already 33 ?
We had the debate weeks/months ago with all the angles looked at. Last thing I want to do is rehash that debate.

Old
05-24-2012, 10:58 AM
Latrappe
If Cam allow it

Bruins fan, here... I would tight the defensive system first and see where it goes. Sometimes, teams have the tendency to trade the goaltender as a quick fix but it doesn't work. Even the best goaltender in the world can't save a team if the defensive squad have troubles to clear the zone and can't avoid giveaways.

Old
05-24-2012, 11:29 AM
Nordique
I ain't even mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latrappe View Post
Bruins fan, here... I would tight the defensive system first and see where it goes. Sometimes, teams have the tendency to trade the goaltender as a quick fix but it doesn't work. Even the best goaltender in the world can't save a team if the defensive squad have troubles to clear the zone and can't avoid giveaways.
The defense has been lacking the past 2 seasons, I hope we have a turned a corner in that dept with the acquisition of JJ, the development of Nikitin, and return of Tyutin, Wisniewski, and Methot.

Mason's biggest strike against him is that he was significantly outplayed the last 2 seasons by his veteran backups (Garon and Sanford). When you have aging vets coming in and playing solid in front of the same blue liners Mason struggles with, its hard to defend him.

Old
05-24-2012, 12:38 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
I'm admittedly biased; I'm not a Kesler fan. Even setting that aside, I think he's horribly overrated; he's a slightly better version of Umberger, with the hype normally reserved for a HOFer.
Set aside the hype, though, and that's not exactly a bad thing to have.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Old
05-26-2012, 12:42 PM
BoonesJenner

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by 36kap36 View Post
WHAT ABOUT HUNWICK?!

Realistically, though, I would LOVE to get Harding and keep Mason the back-up and maybe keep Dex on a small, 2-way contract. Do I see that working out? Doubtfull, but that would be my choice.
Seriously though what about hunwick? They signed him to a longer deal didnt they? He didnt really play but does the kid have any potential? Ive heard of crazier things happening...And what a story it'd make!

Old
05-26-2012, 01:53 PM
GoJackets1
Someday.

Im amazed at how many people that voted think simply signing a UFA and re-signing Sanford is a good solution. While I'm not opposed to re-signing Sanford, I'm not too sure that 1 UFA signing will do much to solve the problems in goal.

Old
05-26-2012, 03:01 PM
FANonymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by gojackets1 View Post
Im amazed at how many people that voted think simply signing a UFA and re-signing Sanford is a good solution. While I'm not opposed to re-signing Sanford, I'm not too sure that 1 UFA signing will do much to solve the problems in goal.
Could we buy a smaller goal?

Old
05-26-2012, 03:22 PM
candyman82

Quote:
Originally Posted by FANonymous View Post

Or just use two goalies at once!

Old
05-26-2012, 05:09 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by gojackets1 View Post
Depends on the UFA.

Old
05-26-2012, 05:28 PM
GoJackets1
Someday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FANonymous View Post

Maybe we could keep Mase then!

Old
05-26-2012, 05:51 PM
chunkbox

nah , he would still get owned 5 hole

Old
05-26-2012, 06:39 PM
GoJackets1
Someday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunkbox View Post
nah , he would still get owned 5 hole
We could have him just lay there on his side?

Old
05-26-2012, 07:15 PM
Coach Parker
Stanley Cup Champion

Voted for moving Rick Nash for David Krejci, Tuukka Rask and a prospect from Boston.

Rask is ready. Thomas isn't ready to retire.

Old
05-27-2012, 10:10 AM
chunkbox

which goalie do you think they would want to move more / faster though ? Rask or Thomas ...?

hard decision in my mind ...

I believe this deal may be Lucic + Rask + pick ? for Nash + Mason

Old
05-27-2012, 10:12 AM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
They'd be nuts if they dealt Rask, if he was even offered we'd have to take it in a heartbeat.

Old
05-27-2012, 10:30 AM
EspenK

Quote:
which goalie do you think they would want to move more / faster though ? Rask or Thomas ...?

I'd rather have Krejci and Rask -pick if we could get it but Lucic would give the Jackets some of the physicality they lack in their forwards.

Old
05-27-2012, 12:14 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:

Boston would probably move Thomas first for various reasons. Which means, of course, start by demanding Rask, then eventually move down to Thomas while offsetting that with additional/better pieces in the other areas.

Old
05-28-2012, 09:29 PM
NashPF61

no to any goalie over 30. mason is the starter for another year and enters his prime , moore+2nd overall to edm for 1, nail gets the calder , atkinson and johansen have career years , nash is still wearing his C because trading him is the opposite of right , we still suck but the future is bright.

Methot=next captain

Closed Thread