HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

2014 — Latvia Roster Discussion (Released, post #1)

Old
06-28-2012, 02:26 AM
BalticWarrior

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by v-man View Post
Oshawa already has two Euro's, so they can afford to take a chance with a guy who might not report. A lot of things can change during the season, and many NCAA guys finish off their junior careers in the CHL after having spent a year or two in College. Depending on how his development is going in the NCAA, Pittsburgh may insist/request that he consider the CHL route before they decide to sign him to an ELC.

As for Jevpalovs, if he still has a dream of any sort of career outside of the KHL, he'd be stupid not to report. Both Dzerins and Saulietis came over late in their junior eligibility and played well enough to be rare import over-agers (which takes up two roster spots due to OA and import limits in the CHL). I'm very surprised he wasn't picked up in the later rounds in the NHL draft with his play at the Juniors. The announcers here seemed to really like him.

From a personal perspective, it would be great having another Latvian to cheer for in the Toronto area. We had a great time getting the Latvian fans out when Daugavins, Grundmanis, Kulda and Dzerins played here (or close by), so having Blugers spend some time in the OHL would be nice.
Yeah youre right Jevpalovs will be heading to NA he said himself in an interview,same with edgars kulda.

BalticWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 04:18 AM
Justinov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helo View Post
3 guys so far drafted in todays chl import draft 38 overall edgars kulda(not sure about him but he had decent statistics at u-18 wc) 40.Jevpalovs(hes too old he wont go over anyway) 48 Blugers(why the **** did they draft him if hes gonna play in ncaa anyway)
Two more drafted-Roberts Lipsbergs and Rinalds Rosinskis.
So 5 Latvians drafted in all for CHL. Thats quite good.
Denmark apparently got two.
Oliver Bjørkstrand as 26'th for Portland Winterhawks.
http://www.winterhawks.com/article/h...n-import-draft

Daniel Hansen (a defender unknown to me) as 77'th for Medicine Hat Tigers.
http://www.tigershockey.com/article/...n-77th-overall

Justinov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-28-2012, 04:22 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinov View Post
So 5 Latvians drafted in all for CHL. Thats quite good.
Denmark apparently got two.
Oliver Bjørkstrand as 26'th for Portland Winterhawks.
http://www.winterhawks.com/article/h...n-import-draft

Daniel Hansen (a defender unknown to me) as 77'th for Medicine Hat Tigers.
http://www.tigershockey.com/article/...n-77th-overall
Nice! well apparently i was wrong about jevpalovs he will be going to chl,i think Lipsbergs will do the same,also young kulda will be going to NA (btw brother of Arturs Kulda in the Winnipeg Jets).
So it looks pretty good so far.

Old
06-28-2012, 04:25 AM
BalticWarrior

The big question mark though is Rinalds Rosinskis,ive never seen him play but looks like he has the size to be a north-american type player http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=52412

Old
06-28-2012, 04:36 AM
Justinov

Quote:
The big question mark though is Rinalds Rosinskis,ive never seen him play but looks like he has the size to be a north-american type player http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=52412
He really is big for being 17!

Old
06-28-2012, 04:40 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
He really is big for being 17!
Now if jevpalovs starts tearing up chl,maybe hell get drafted this year,so are you happy with the danish chl draft?

Old
06-28-2012, 04:48 AM
Justinov

Quote:
Now if jevpalovs starts tearing up chl,maybe hell get drafted this year,so are you happy with the danish chl draft?
Yeah...good to see that Oliver Bjørkstrand got drafted fairly high up, which bodes well for a later NHL draft!
Daniel Hansen is a surprising extra bonus (he must be a very stay at home defender.....0 points in 21 games in the Danish League for Sønderjyske). Actually quite small for a defender, so wonder why Medicine Hat Tigers took him? Maybe he is a smart technical player like Philip Larsen?
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=92800

Old
06-28-2012, 04:51 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
Yeah...good to see that Oliver Bjørkstrand got drafted fairly high up, which bodes well for a later NHL draft!
Daniel Hansen is a surprising extra bonus (he must be a very stay at home defender.....0 points in 21 games in the Danish League for Sønderjyske). Actually quite small for a defender, so wonder why Medicine Hat Tigers took him? Maybe he is a smart technical player like Philip Larsen?
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=92800
Yeah this was the same with Rinalds Rosinskis i too wondered why they took him,only reason i could see is his size.

Old
06-28-2012, 04:54 AM
BalticWarrior

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=149889
Im wondering why they didnt take this guy? Georgs Golovkovs will play for HK riga in mhl next season,might be the next star for Dinamo riga

Old
06-28-2012, 04:57 AM
Justinov

Quote:
Yeah this was the same with Rinalds Rosinskis i too wondered why they took him,only reason i could see is his size.
But it must be such a gamble drafting d-men at age 17-18, since they generally develope later than forwards. But you can probably more easily spotted which ones are the technical offensive d-men for an eventual PP, than which one of all these giants actually develope scating to a level where they are useful?
Daniel Hansen is probably the first type, and Rosinskis the second (like also giant Oliver Lauridsen).

Old
06-28-2012, 05:01 AM
Justinov

Quote:
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=149889
Im wondering why they didnt take this guy? Georgs Golovkovs will play for HK riga in mhl next season,might be the next star for Dinamo riga
Few late season 1995's got drafted (8) so thats probably why...they wait one more year.
See list of countries and age of the drafted here:
http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/a...-draft-results
Latvia did very well compared to the other european hockey nations (Slovakia with comeback! = 7)

Old
06-28-2012, 05:03 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
But it must be such a gamble drafting d-men at age 17-18, since they generally develope later than forwards. But you can probably more easily spotted which ones are the technical offensive d-men for an eventual PP, than which one of all these giants actually develope scating to a level where they are useful?
Daniel Hansen is probably the first type, and Rosinskis the second (like also giant Oliver Lauridsen).
But the problem is when Rosinskis was asked whether or not he will move to NA he was reluctant to answer and said "lets wait and see"

Old
06-28-2012, 05:05 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
Few late season 1995's got drafted (8) so thats probably why...they wait one more year.
See list of countries and age of the drafted here:
http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/a...-draft-results
Latvia did very well compared to the other european hockey nations (Slovakia with comeback! = 7)
HA! we did better than switzerland AND germany and only 1 less than finland solid if i might add.
Well if Golovkovs shows him self capable he may even get drafted in 2014 NHL draft but it wouldnt get my hopes up,altough hes yet another promising young player from Latvia.

Old
06-28-2012, 05:10 AM
Justinov

Quote:
But the problem is when Rosinskis was asked whether or not he will move to NA he was reluctant to answer and said "lets wait and see"
Well it also depends on the specifics of their contracts or if they get offers to play in an adult league? For instance if a danish player got an offer in allsvenskan I would probably prefer that to CHL unless you are dead sure you go 100% for an NHL career. Rosinskis and Daniel Hansen were late drafts, so it's not that likely!
CHL is still better than danish league, but danish league still have the advantage you play with adults and many returned veterans from the swedish league that can teach you a lot.

Old
06-28-2012, 05:12 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
Well it also depends on the specifics of their contracts or if they get offers to play in an adult league? For instance if a danish player got an offer in allsvenskan I would probably prefer that to CHL unless you are dead sure you go 100% for an NHL career. Rosinskis and Daniel Hansen were late drafts, so it's not that likely!
CHL is still better than danish league, but danish league still have the advantage you play with adults and many returned veterans from the swedish league that can teach you a lot.
Yeah i dont see Rosinskis even comming close to nhl so i wont have sleepless nights if he decides that he doesnt want to move to CHL.

Old
06-28-2012, 05:22 AM
BalticWarrior

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJFIHoBhk8I found this gem on youtube ted noland in action first line he says is just amazing this is from some exhibition game or whatever

Last edited by BalticWarrior: 06-28-2012 at 05:28 AM.
Old
06-28-2012, 05:36 AM
Justinov

Quote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJFIHoBhk8I found this gem on youtube ted noland in action first line he says is just amazing this is from some exhibition game or whatever
haha just ssaw the first couple of minutes....."do you like their national anthem"
and "it doesn't hurt to get hit" (?? - easy to say as the coach )
Some tackle at a norwegian at 3.40 (Nolan didn't call that one diving, but "what did he do")!
Well coaches are all alike in being onesided in their vision - but funny to see!

Last edited by Justinov: 06-28-2012 at 05:41 AM.
Old
06-28-2012, 05:40 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
haha just ssaw the first couple of minutes....."they sure like their national anthem"
and "it doesn't hurt to get hit" (?? - easy to say as the coach )
Some tackle at a norwegian at 3.40 (Nolan didn't call that one diving, but "what did he do")!
Well coaches are all alike in being onesided in their vision - but funny to see!
But he actually gives some solid advice even from the bench,looking forward to seeing him next year as our coach of NT.

Old
06-28-2012, 05:43 AM
BalticWarrior

And i was just thinking, Girgensons is like the ideal player for nolan-he can score goals, block shots,win faceoffs,make body-checks etc, hes exactly what Nolan is asking of every single player on our team.

Old
06-28-2012, 05:45 AM
Justinov

Quote:
But he actually gives some solid advice even from the bench,looking forward to seeing him next year as our coach of NT.
Yeah it's just a very american way of psyching players. I remember when i had an american lacrosse coach. It didn't really work with danish psychology, but maybe with Latvian (Nolan is very downtoned to what I have experienced), so it should probably work well! At least he is always present! Some eastern european coaches often just stand as the silent menace behind your shoulder looking displeased all the time.......paranoia effect

Old
06-28-2012, 05:47 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
Yeah it's just a very american way of psyching players. I remember when i had an american lacrosse coach. It didn't really work with danish psychology, but maybe with Latvian (Nolan is very downtoned to what I have experienced), so it should probably work well! At least he is always present! Some eastern european coaches often just stand as the silent menace behind your shoulder looking displeased all the time.......paranoia effect
Yup just like it was for us with Oleg Znarok(Russian coach) He won the gagarin cup with Dynamo moscow,but he was pretty much useless for NT.

Old
06-28-2012, 05:49 AM
Justinov

The stuff about how to beat goalies around 6 min is very true. Many technical players can get used to fondle the puck to much instead of fire immidiatly. To score today you have to move the goalie sideways and exploit the holes before he recovers, which the goalies do very fast these days!

Old
06-28-2012, 05:50 AM
Justinov

Quote:
Yup just like it was for us with Oleg Znarok(Russian coach) He won the gagarin cup with Dynamo moscow,but he was pretty much useless for NT.
Yeah maybe it only works with russians!

Old
06-28-2012, 05:51 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
The stuff about how to beat goalies around 6 min is very true. Many technical players can get used to fondle the puck to much instead of fire immidiatly. To score today you have to move the goalie sideways and exploit the holes before he recovers, which the goalies do very fast these days!
Yeah i like how he even give the example how you should model your game

Old
06-28-2012, 05:54 AM
BalticWarrior

I think major improvements for NT will come when the young guys will have matured- Girgensons,Blugers,Bukarts,Indrasis-thats around 2014 olympics-just when its most needed.