HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

2014 — Latvia Roster Discussion (Released, post #1)

Old
06-30-2012, 08:19 AM
Justinov

vCash: 500
Rivalries might be important....but having national tv events (matches actually being shown is most important). Im sure danish club hockey has big rivalries....but Im not really knowlegable in that extent. It helps that when Riga plays in KHL against other teams it actually become more of a Latvian against a foreign club!
A Copenhagen/Malmø club in SEL could do exactly that against a Stockholm team like AIK or Djurgården!

Stockholm (AIK, Djurgården) against Gothenburg (Frølunda) probably always get the steam going in Sweden lol

Last edited by Justinov: 06-30-2012 at 08:24 AM.
Justinov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 08:21 AM
Justinov

Some clubs can be highjacked by "Ultras", where other clubs have a core of family tied members based on playing for that club in generations. The more money a club attracts the risk of getting ultras might get bigger?!

Old
06-30-2012, 08:24 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinov View Post
Rivalries might be important....but having national tv events (matches actually being shown is most important). Im sure danish club hockey has big rivalries....but Im not really knowlegable in that extent. It helps that when Riga plays in KHL against other teams it actually become more of a Latvian against a foreign club!
A Copenhagen/Malmø club in SEL could do exactly that against a Stockholm team like AIK or Djurgården!
So what if danish team joined KHL? would you be excited or you wouldnt care or what? I think its fairly plausible you guys could get a KHL franchise.

BalticWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 08:25 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
Some clubs can be highjacked by "Ultras", where other clubs have a core of family tied members based on playing for that club in generations. The more money a club attracts the risk of getting ultras might get bigger?!
Yeah could be, but its not always like that for example LA kings fans they won the cup this year but they dont treat everyone else like lower-class,imagine if Torronto won a cup? It would be dark day in hockey history

Old
06-30-2012, 08:28 AM
Justinov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helo View Post
So what if danish team joined KHL? would you be excited or you wouldnt care or what? I think its fairly plausible you guys could get a KHL franchise.
I think Denmark is still so "Scandinavian" that playing obscure eastern european teams nobody have any history with might not be interesting for the fans. Thats why a Copenhagen team joining SEL getting a chance to beat Swedish teams might really be more juicy for the fans.....could also include a Norwegian team from Oslo?
Then danish league and norwegian league could serve as farm leagues as the latvian league to Dinamo Riga!
If it has to be KHL it has to be a european KHL.....and no way Sweden or Finland will join based on what their fans like! Only if Germany joins big time a Copenhagen team playing against Berlin or Hamburg might work a little better, but i still wont be Sweden!

Old
06-30-2012, 08:30 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
I think Denmark is still so "Scandinavian" that playing obscure eastern european teams nobody have any history with might not be interesting for the fans. Thats why a Copenhagen team joining SEL getting a chance to beat Swedish teams might really be more juicy for the fans.....could also include a Norwegian team from Oslo?
Then danish league and norwegian league could serve as farm leagues as the latvian league to Dinamo Riga!
If it has to be KHL it has to be a european KHL.....and no way Sweden or Finland will join based on what their fans like! Only if Germany joins big time a Copenhagen team playing against Berlin or Hamburg might work a little better, but i still wont be Sweden!
Well there will be Swtizerland,Slovakia,Germany,Czech rep. isnt that european enough?

Old
06-30-2012, 08:33 AM
Justinov

Quote:
Yeah could be, but its not always like that for example LA kings fans they won the cup this year but they dont treat everyone else like lower-class,imagine if Torronto won a cup? It would be dark day in hockey history
I think most LA Kings fans are still walking around on a little cloud not comprehended what actually happened....we won ?!?! They werent expecting anything contrary to SKA fans that expect everything very year and blame everyone but themselves when it doesn't happen?! (they probably do that right? lol).

Old
06-30-2012, 08:36 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
I think most LA Kings fans are still walking around on a little cloud not comprehended what actually happened....we won ?!?! They werent expecting anything contrary to SKA fans that expect everything very year and blame everyone but themselves when it doesn't happen?! (they probably do that right? lol).
Yeah i like LA might follow them bit more closely now.
Well yeah SKA fans blame everything-Coaches,Refs,bad luck and so on I would say SKA is the KHL`s Torronto Maple leafs,almost a carbon copy(well except SKA can ACTUALLY make the play-offs)

Old
06-30-2012, 08:36 AM
Justinov

Quote:
Well there will be Swtizerland,Slovakia,Germany,Czech rep. isnt that european enough?
Yeah but we are not europeans....we are scandinavians.......
I don't feel "european"......(so it's only really GB (mostly scotland), holland or north germany you can feel a little something in commen with), but we share culture, language and historic ties with Norway and Sweden.

Old
06-30-2012, 08:38 AM
Justinov

Quote:
Yeah i like LA might follow them bit more closely now.
Well yeah SKA fans blame everything-Coaches,Refs,bad luck and so on I would say SKA is the KHL`s Torronto Maple leafs,almost a carbon copy(well except SKA can ACTUALLY make the play-offs)
As one guy said here on HF boards at the WC..."Those who think they are awesome rarely are" ...thats very true!

Last edited by Justinov: 06-30-2012 at 08:48 AM.
Old
06-30-2012, 08:39 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
Yeah but we are not europeans....we are scandinavians.......
I don't feel "european"......(so it's only really GB (mostly scotland), holland or north germany you can feel a little something in commen with), but we share culture, language and historic ties with Norway and Sweden.
But scandinavia is IN europe no but i understand what you mean,so you would be against a khl franchise,right?

Old
06-30-2012, 08:44 AM
Justinov

Quote:
But scandinavia is IN europe no but i understand what you mean,so you would be against a khl franchise,right?
Im for a KHL franchise....but hockey in Denmark is still too small for it to work right now. KHL has to be established and get big in Germany first...then have danish players and get so succesful that there will be money in it for the rich guys to invest in it.
No danish business man would invest right now because it would be with 99% chance a failure! Getting a Copenhagen team into SEL would be much more likely to succeed on a fan basis if it's joined with Malmø!

Old
06-30-2012, 08:48 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
Im for a KHL franchise....but hockey in Denmark is still too small for it to work right now. KHL has to be established and get big in Germany first...then have danish players and get so succesful that there will be money in it for the rich guys to invest in it.
No danish business man would invest right now because it would be with 99% chance a failure! Getting a Copenhagen team into SEL would be much more likely to succeed on a fan basis if it's joined with Malmø!
Well yeah i agree i`m sure it will succeed,funny story theres already small german fanbase supporting Dinamo riga,they travel huge distances from germany just to see dinamo riga games,they even hung a small german flag in the arena

Old
06-30-2012, 08:50 AM
Justinov

Quote:
Well yeah i agree i`m sure it will succeed,funny story theres already small german fanbase supporting Dinamo riga,they travel huge distances from germany just to see dinamo riga games,they even hung a small german flag in the arena
Really...that is quite surprising! Any history behind it? certain German player, or exile baltic germans having a feel for the home of their grandparents?

Old
06-30-2012, 08:54 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
Really...that is quite surprising! Any history behind it? certain German player, or exile baltic germans having a feel for the home of their grandparents?
No.. no german players as far as i can remember,as i understand KHL-TV is available in Germany so maybe they saw Dinamo Riga and just suddenly fell in love

Old
06-30-2012, 08:56 AM
Justinov

The exodus of Germans after WW2 is actually the biggest population movement of an ethnic group numberwise in world history. Many many millions from the east and southeast!
I know a german whose family came from Transsylvanian where they had lived since the 1500's or so? until they had to flee after WW2! Basically Sovjet took half of Poland that then took a big lump of Germany....so you had basically moving countries and populations!
So many germans are actually germans that have ties to other countries for centuries and nothing with germany proper.

As example of all this border changes are the former polish pope. A Pole born in Vilnius in that days Russia which today is the capital of Lithuania.....surely confusing!

Old
06-30-2012, 08:59 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
The exodus of Germans after WW2 is actually the biggest population movement of an ethnic group numberwise in world history. Many many millions from the east and southeast!
I know a german whose family came from Transsylvanian where they had lived since the 1500's or so? until they had to flee after WW2! Basically Sovjet took half of Poland that then took a big lump of Germany....so you had basically moving countries and populations!
So many germans are actually germans that have ties to other countries for centuries and nothing with germany proper.
Interesting but im not sure thats the reason

Old
06-30-2012, 09:02 AM
Justinov

Quote:
Interesting but im not sure thats the reason
Yeah...maybe not...but it's not utterly impossible either. Latvia and Riga especially had tons of Germans since the middle ages.

Old
06-30-2012, 09:06 AM
Justinov

Denmark actually sold North Estonia to the Germans in 1346, since our king was bankrupt and had to pay some German counts to get Denmark proper back. In 1346 Estonia was basically what was left of Denmark owned by the Danish king (surely weird)....
So they are always welcome back lol - nice to see they still have our danish flag as emblem in Tallin (meaning town of the danes).

Old
06-30-2012, 09:09 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
Denmark actually sold North Estonia to the Germans in 1346, since our king was bankrupt and had to pay some German counts to get Denmark proper back. In 1346 Estonia was basically what was left of Denmark owned by the Danish king (surely weird)....
So they are always welcome back lol - nice to see they still have our danish flag as emblem in Tallin (meaning town of the danes).
Ha i think theyre fine on their own

Old
06-30-2012, 09:11 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
Yeah...maybe not...but it's not utterly impossible either. Latvia and Riga especially had tons of Germans since the middle ages.
If i have to gues id say khl is starting to get influence on european hockey market especially in germany,slovakia and czech rep.

Old
06-30-2012, 09:11 AM
Justinov

Quote:
Ha i think theyre fine on their own
I think that too. The rivalry with Finland probably take up all their time.

Old
06-30-2012, 09:12 AM
Justinov

Quote:
If i have to gues id say khl is starting to get influence on european hockey market especially in germany,slovakia and czech rep.
Sure but most people will choose their fan teams based on something they can relate to. For germans they might relate more to Riga than Amur!

Old
06-30-2012, 09:16 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
Sure but most people will choose their fan teams based on something they can relate to. For germans they might relate more to Riga than Amur!
Well yeah,but as i understand there are quite a lot swedish fans who support SKA so you know...

Old
06-30-2012, 09:17 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
I think that too. The rivalry with Finland probably take up all their time.
Well theyre more like a small brother than a rival to Finland