HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

2014 — Latvia Roster Discussion (Released, post #1)

Old
12-17-2013, 10:36 AM
BalticWarrior

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Namejs View Post
Quote of the year.

Team Denmark has never qualified for the Olympic Games.
I know THAT,but if they HAD they would be really really good,its just that their European depth sucks.

BalticWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2013, 10:36 AM
RobertR

vCash: 50
NHL rookie of the year? Am i missing something?

If you are talking about Zemgus, not Hertl. 3rd line center? Really? I guess, just returned form injury Sprukts, and 3rd line center in KHL team - Dzerins, are more valuable then first line NHL player, ok.

And what about that "couple of seasons ago"? Yeah, guys were great in Dinamo. But non of them (Redlihs, Darzins, Sprukts, Galvins), didn't show anything in their KHL clubs.

Yeah, I can understand Sprukts situation, was bought as 2/3rd line player, but then when lockout started, played in the 4th. But other guys?
Darzins didn't get fired because of his play? Do you actually believe that? 6 points in 19 game, as foreigner.. come on. Yeah, he played couple of game in 4th line in AK bars, but in Traktor 2nd or 3rd. And still nothing.
Redlihs.. Oh my.. 11 points in last 65!!! games. And Galvins couple of seasons ago, was DRs best defensman (someon on this boards even called him a OD ), and now gets kicked out from mediocre club Yugra is.

Only decent KHLrs right now, are Karsums and Kulda

And again, am I missing something? Where did you get those PPG? K.Redlihs 0.50 PPG, Dzerins 0.50 PPG?

Yeah, and Pujacs and his slapshot was a good one, indeed.

RobertR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2013, 10:38 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozo View Post
How do you think Denmark will fare in Sochi with all their NHL-ers?

But basically, Namejs is a notch too optimistic and BalticWarrior again shows how ironic is his nickname.
Again,if their European depth didnt suck,they could have done some damage in sochi,even to teams like sweden or USA.

And what has my nickname has to do with anything? I`m just beein realistic.

Old
12-17-2013, 10:44 AM
Namejs
The Buffalo Eichels

vCash: 1050
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundAndFury View Post
Man, you live in a fantasy world.. From calling Girgensons a potential rookie of the year to mentioning good Pujacs' slapshot which was really funny, by the way And 3rd line Darzins played on in Ak Bars featured Tereshchenko and Kiril Petrov..

Well it doesn't matter, obviously you just want to see things your way and that's your right.

I still can't understand though how you are so quick to call other "incompetent" while you yourself just write this PPG this PPG that stuff and can acknowledge obvious shortcomings of those players.
We're not discussing shortcomings here, we're discussing your outrageous, groundless statements, which clearly show that you're underrating the Latvian national team a lot and overrating all the other teams in our group.

Every single statement of yours about our NT has been disproven with factual evidence. Your only comeback seems to be "you live in a fantasy world". Good for you.

Girgensons has more points per minute in 5-on-5 situations than Ovechkin or Krejci. If it wasn't for Hertl being placed on Sharks top line, Girgensons would be very close to the top for the points per minute statistic among all the NHL rookies. He's been involved in more than 20% of Sabres goals this season. That equals to about the same number of points Hertl has this season, and Zemgus has played on the 3rd line with AHL-tier linemates for 80% of the season.

I'm not sure what you don't like in Pujacs's slapshot.

As for Dārziņš, he was going at a pace for 0.5PPG on the 3rd line in AK Bars. Hardly a fringe player.

Namejs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2013, 10:53 AM
Namejs
The Buffalo Eichels

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertR View Post
NHL rookie of the year? Am i missing something?

If you are talking about Zemgus, not Hertl. 3rd line center? Really? I guess, just returned form injury Sprukts, and 3rd line center in KHL team - Dzerins, are more valuable then first line NHL player, ok.

And what about that "couple of seasons ago"? Yeah, guys were great in Dinamo. But non of them (Redlihs, Darzins, Sprukts, Galvins), didn't show anything in their KHL clubs.

Yeah, I can understand Sprukts situation, was bought as 2/3rd line player, but then when lockout started, played in the 4th. But other guys?
Darzins didn't get fired because of his play? Do you actually believe that? 6 points in 19 game, as foreigner.. come on. Yeah, he played couple of game in 4th line in AK bars, but in Traktor 2nd or 3rd. And still nothing.
Redlihs.. Oh my.. 11 points in last 65!!! games. And Galvins couple of seasons ago, was DRs best defensman (someon on this boards even called him a OD ), and now gets kicked out from mediocre club Yugra is.

Only decent KHLrs right now, are Karsums and Kulda

And again, am I missing something? Where did you get those PPG? K.Redlihs 0.50 PPG, Dzerins 0.50 PPG?

Yeah, and Pujacs and his slapshot was a good one, indeed.
You are obviously missing something.

Zemgus played on the 3rd line in the WCH. He's a role player on the Sabres 1st line (and he's a winger there). In the Latvian national team he would be more of an actual offensive player, not a two-way C/W, who's throwing bodies around and just fighting for the puck/doing the cycle. So obviously he wouldn't be centering the 1st line. 2nd/3rd are both viable options, as we have plenty of talent to mix them and create 3 potential scoring lines.

Also, please note that I'm not implying that Dārziņš/Sprukts and the rest of them are KHL All-Star players. The original statement was that we have a bunch of fringe KHL players who wouldn't be able to get signed or play in other KHL clubs, which is simply a factually incorrect statement, which I disproved by facts and evidence.

Sure, their stats have been unimpressive when compared to their showing at Dinamo Riga, but no one has denied that. The discussion isn't about that though. Pay attention.

UPDATE: as for Rēdlihs and Džeriņš, check khl.ru. I'm including the Nadezhda Cup stats there as well.

Last edited by Namejs: 12-17-2013 at 11:02 AM.
Old
12-17-2013, 10:56 AM
ozo

Send a message via Skype™ to ozo
Quote:
I'm not sure what you don't like in Pujacs's slapshot.
He doesn't possess one. Kulda brings it to the table and on good day also Bartulis, but besides Ozo and his vision on a worlds scale we have only defensive defenseman in our disposal (and fascinatingly enough they are not that good defensively at all in first place as well).

ozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2013, 10:56 AM
Namejs
The Buffalo Eichels

Quote:
Originally Posted by BalticWarrior View Post
Again,if their European depth didnt suck,they could have done some damage in sochi,even to teams like sweden or USA.

And what has my nickname has to do with anything? I`m just beein realistic.
So what you're saying is: if they had different and better players, they would be better.

What a revelation. Mind-blowing I'd say.

Old
12-17-2013, 10:58 AM
Namejs
The Buffalo Eichels

Quote:
He doesn't possess a one. Kulda brings it to the table and on good day also Bartulis, but besides Ozo and his vision on worlds scale we have only defensive defenseman in our disposal.
That is just not true. Pujacs can contribute offensively, as I've already mentioned and Rēdlihs is a typical offensive defenseman.

We're not that bad in that department.

Old
12-17-2013, 11:02 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
So what you're saying is: if they had different and better players, they would be better.

What a revelation. Mind-blowing I'd say.
Jesus christ. They already have good players,probably better players then we will ever have.We need to be more like Denmark,how many 1st round picks we have? 1-Girgensons which was in 2012 they have 2 or 3 if i remmember correctly and will have another one in Ehlers in 2014,what do have? Only Girgensons and Bļugers as our future and Gudļevskis,Merzlikins,Punnenovs in net.

Old
12-17-2013, 11:04 AM
ozo

Quote:
That is just not true. Pujacs can contribute offensively, as I've already mentioned and Rēdlihs is a typical offensive defenseman.

We're not that bad in that department.
That's where we will have to disagree. All of them can contribute exclusively on PP and even then only by throwing weak wristers towards goal and by giving puck to the wingers thus accumulating secondary assists.

Old
12-17-2013, 11:05 AM
RobertR

vCash: 50
I think he said it about current Dinamo players, not those who are currently signed with KHL clubs.

But yeah, I agree that they would get signed, Indrasis, Kr.Redlihs, Pujacs, Ozo. But to be honest, I'am not sure about them showing anything there. Besides Ozo, of course. Darzins and Mikelis had better stats, and overall, I think they played better at DR then Indrasis, and that didn't helped them to achieve anything in Russia. Pujacs was relaesed form this last place of work in Russia, if I remember correctly. Same thing about Krišjānis, Galvins, like I sad, was our top2 d-mans couple of seasons ago, and again, failure in Russia.

RobertR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2013, 11:06 AM
Namejs
The Buffalo Eichels

Quote:
Jesus christ. They already have good players,probably better players then we will ever have.
Please, list them.

Draft picks don't play hockey. You're ridiculously overrating the importance of a couple top-tier NHL players or people being drafted in the 1st round.

Quite a few of 1st/2nd round draft picks are draft busts that don't even play a single NHL game.

Austria has Vanek and Grabner. Who cares? Lithuania has Zubrus, are they better than us now? You are absolutely ridiculous.

Old
12-17-2013, 11:10 AM
SoundAndFury

Quote:
You are obviously missing something
No, believe me, you're the one who's actually missing things. A lot of things. And use those to form your extremely biased unrealistic opinions.

For example, why do you keep insisting Sprukts is an "All-Star" player? He has size, he's a good penalty killer, I'll give him that but he has no high-end offensive skill whatsoever and all his offensive production was created by his linemates. Everyone knows it, everyone sees it. Except you.

But as I've said, it doesn't matter. You keep saying that "every single statement of yours about our NT has been disproven with factual evidence" but in fact they are not disproven (not sure if such word exists) at all, they are just fought against with ignorance.

Face it, every Latvian poster evidently disagrees with you, more or less. That should tell you that maybe there is something wrong about your point of view (which is based on glorifying Latvian players).

I would discuss with you in terms of "actual facts" you seem to like so much if I had any hope I can impact your opinion. But I don't because as the writing under my post says, one can't really fight ignorance.

"Here's a statistic, the average person in the world has less than 2 legs. Which is absolutely correct but somewhat misleading."
SoundAndFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2013, 11:11 AM
Namejs
The Buffalo Eichels

Quote:
That's where we will have to disagree. All of them can contribute exclusively on PP and even then only by throwing weak wristers towards goal and by giving puck to the wingers thus accumulating secondary assists.
Well, I guess I've been on drugs this whole time and I guess I've imagined Pujacs scoring goals from the blue line.

I partially agree about Rēdlihs, but I didn't mention him as a guy with a great slapshot. He can contribute offensively. He isn't just collecting secondary assists, he can score goals from time to time.

Old
12-17-2013, 11:12 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
Please, list them.

Draft picks don't play hockey. You're ridiculously overrating the importance of a couple top-tier NHL players or people being drafted in the 1st round.

Quite a few of 1st/2nd round draft picks are draft busts that don't even play a single NHL game.

Austria has Vanek and Grabner. Who cares? Lithuania has Zubrus, are they better than us now? You are absolutely ridiculous.
Mikkel Bodker- http://coyotes.nhl.com/club/player.htm?id=8474571
Lars Eller http://canadiens.nhl.com/club/player.htm?id=8474189
Jannik Hansen http://canucks.nhl.com/club/player.htm?id=8471498
Frans Nielsen http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8470144
Nicklas Jensen http://canucks.nhl.com/club/player.htm?id=8476482
Oliver Lauridsen http://flyers.nhl.com/club/player.htm?id=8475342

Have WE,ever had this much NHL players in one year? No,NEVER.

Old
12-17-2013, 11:15 AM
Namejs
The Buffalo Eichels

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundAndFury View Post
For example, why do you keep insisting Sprukts is an "All-Star" player?
That is exactly the opposite of what I've been saying. He is NOT an All-Star player. He's also NOT a fringe KHL player.

Quote:
But as I've said, it doesn't matter. You keep saying that "every single statement of yours about our NT has been disproven with factual evidence" but in fact they are not disproven (not sure if such word exists) at all, they are just fought against with ignorance.
LOL. Way to evade all the points I made. Someone counters your point, tell him he's ignorant. Your signature really is true.

Old
12-17-2013, 11:20 AM
Namejs
The Buffalo Eichels

Quote:
That's 4 NHL players and 2 AHL players.

We've had 5 or 6 NHL players I think (in the late 90s, with Ozo/Irbe/Skrastins/Žoltoks/Vasiļjevs/Astašenko).

Old
12-17-2013, 11:22 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
That's 4 NHL players and 2 AHL players.

We've had 5 or 6 NHL players I think (in the late 90s, with Ozo/Irbe/Skrastins/Žoltoks/Vasiļjevs/Astašenko).
But you should really look at their stats and Nicklas Jensen is one of Danish upcoming stars drafted in 1st round.
When we will have roster like that ill be more than happy to talk about our chances of actually winning someone.

Old
12-17-2013, 11:23 AM
ozo

Quote:
Well, I guess I've been on drugs this whole time and I guess I've imagined Pujacs scoring goals from the blue line.
Certainly seems so. He's good for one goal a season and he got that one recently against SKA. Just to refresh your memory, it was a gift from Salak on a weak wrister.

Old
12-17-2013, 11:28 AM
Namejs
The Buffalo Eichels

Quote:
But you should really look at their stats and Nicklas Jensen is one of Danish upcoming stars drafted in 1st round.
When we will have roster like that ill be more than happy to talk about our chances of actually winning someone.

Look at Vanek's stats or Grabner's stats.

A hockey team consists of 20+ people. 2 or 3 top tier NHL players can be the difference makers when playing against an opposition similar in strength, but they're not changing anything fundamentally when the rest of your team isn't that good.

Denmark is a decent team, just like us. They've been developing quite well during the last decade or so. But the quality of a team isn't measured by the number of NHL players on it. What you're saying just makes no sense whatsoever.

Old
12-17-2013, 11:31 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:

Look at Vanek's stats or Grabner's stats.

A hockey team consists of 20+ people. 2 or 3 top tier NHL players can be the difference makers when playing against an opposition similar in strength, but they're not changing anything fundamentally when the rest of your team isn't that good.

Denmark is a decent team, just like us. They've been developing quite well during the last decade or so. But the quality of a team isn't measured by the number of NHL players on it. What you're saying just makes no sense whatsoever.
I would say the opposite.

Old
12-17-2013, 11:31 AM
Namejs
The Buffalo Eichels

Quote:
Certainly seems so. He's good for one goal a season and he got that one recently against SKA. Just to refresh your memory, it was a gift from Salak on a weak wrister.
Well, I'm afraid there's nothing to refresh there, I've only managed to see a few of Dinamo Riga games and that's just to see how our national team prospects are doing.

For some reason Pujacs is stuck in my mind as a guy with a good slapshot. But looking at his stats, it looks like you're right.

Old
12-17-2013, 11:32 AM
Namejs
The Buffalo Eichels

Quote:
I would say the opposite.
OK, so Austria is better than us and we're on par with Lithuania and Australia.

Thanks for your opinion.

Old
12-17-2013, 11:37 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
OK, so Austria is better than us and we're on par with Lithuania and Australia.

Thanks for your opinion.
Well not exactly but more of combination of NHL players plus the ones in europe. Make no mistake full roster vs full roster in Olympics against denmark we would lose on most nights. Most of our KHL players arent really that good as it has been pointed out earlier.

Old
12-17-2013, 11:40 AM
SoundAndFury

Quote:
Jensen and Lauridsen aren't NHL players but Regin, Andersen and Larsen, whom you left out, certainly are.

SoundAndFury is offline   Reply With Quote