HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

2014 — Latvia Roster Discussion (Released, post #1)

Old
02-11-2014, 10:06 AM
zorz

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BalticWarrior View Post
It is if we are talking about the slovakian league.
AHL is better by far.

zorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2014, 10:10 AM
v-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namejs View Post
Gudļevskis has been inconsistent this season. His stats are average - 0.900 SVS%. He's also 21 yo and very inexperienced. And jet-lagged.

Masaļskis is the obvious starting goalie.
Well, his inexperienced self was enough to keep Latvia from being relegated last year when Masalskis stunk up the bed, but in this case, where nothing is really on the line, I agree it would be best to start with the fresher of the two. That being said, having made the trip out there from North America many times, I can also say that jet-lag has hardly been an issue at all, so it's not a given that Gudlevskis will be impacted negatively by the trip at all.

Last edited by v-man: 02-11-2014 at 10:18 AM.
v-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2014, 10:12 AM
RobertR
C

vCash: 50
Yeah, I don't think it is so crucial who starts. The deciding game for us, will be the 4th one. There we need our best goalie. I hope 3 game will be enough for Ted to see, who is better atm.

RobertR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2014, 10:23 AM
Namejs
The Buffalo Eichels

Quote:
Originally Posted by BalticWarrior View Post
It is if we are talking about the slovakian league.
In terms of quality the Slovakian league is somewhere between ECHL and AHL. Hockey in Slovakia has been regressing for some years now, so I guess it could be closer to ECHL than AHL.

Gudļevskis started the season in ECHL and played good. Moved on to AHL - was pretty mediocre and inconsistent. Just because he was called up to NHL due to injuries doesn't make him an elite goaltender and a saviour of some sort. He's still young and inexperienced. You seem to be forgetting that.

Namejs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2014, 10:36 AM
Namejs
The Buffalo Eichels

Quote:
Originally Posted by v-man View Post
Well, his inexperienced self was enough to keep Latvia from being relegated last year when Masalskis stunk up the bed, but in this case, where nothing is really on the line, I agree it would be best to start with the fresher of the two. That being said, having made the trip out there from North America many times, I can also say that jet-lag has hardly been an issue at all, so it's not a given that Gudlevskis will be impacted negatively by the trip at all.
Masaļskis wasn't fully recovered from his injury when he played last year.

Gudļevskis was great, but 4 games is a very small sample size. This is his first season in pro hockey and it is obvious that he still has work to do if he wants to become an NHL goalie.

Masaļskis is a KHL-tier starting goalie, if he's in his top form. So far Gudļevskis has shown that he can be an AHL starting goalie. His ceiling might be higher, but there's no reason to assume that he's currently better than Masaļskis.

Masaļskis seems to be in a better form, he's more experienced and more consistent overall.

Old
02-12-2014, 05:58 AM
Kalvinators
Go Ducks!

I would like to see at least a game from both - Gudļevskis and Masaļskis to be able to compare them.

Kalvinators is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2014, 01:56 AM
ozo

Send a message via Skype™ to ozo
Well it turns out that we are actually kinda living in Namejs world. Excellent tournament given what we (or rather Ted Jesus Nolan) had to work with. Most of our players showed their best qualities - both goalies had their days out, Darzins again looked superbly skilled and confident in his ability, Sprukts was Spruks on defensive end, Kulda and Bartulis were finally given the freedom to be as physical as they were capable of being and referees let them play which was amazing to see, Girgensons looked like a tireless dynamo, and Ozo - what a ****king player at the age of 41! Could say nice words about most of our boys.

If we would put in such a performance at the WC, we easily could do some serious damage there.

02-20-2014, 04:54 AM
Namejs
The Buffalo Eichels

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozo View Post
If we would put in such a performance at the WC, we easily could do some serious damage there.
Yup, as long as there aren't a bunch of guys with injuries or 'injuries', so we have to send our B team again.

Merzļikins for Gudļevskis
Ņiživijs/Džeriņš for Vasiļjevs/Ķēniņš
Galviņš for Ozoliņš
Jekimovs on the 4th/3rd line
J. Rēdlihs on bottom pairing D

That's pretty much the range of acceptable changes to our roster. If we have to replace more than 4-6 players, I think we can forget about quarter-finals.

Old
02-20-2014, 04:57 AM
thepuckmonster
Global Moderator
Professional Winner.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Well it turns out that we are actually kinda living in Namejs world. Excellent tournament given what we (or rather Ted Jesus Nolan) had to work with. Most of our players showed their best qualities - both goalies had their days out, Darzins again looked superbly skilled and confident in his ability, Sprukts was Spruks on defensive end, Kulda and Bartulis were finally given the freedom to be as physical as they were capable of being and referees let them play which was amazing to see, Girgensons looked like a tireless dynamo, and Ozo - what a ****king player at the age of 41! Could say nice words about most of our boys.

You guys were great. I'd actually like to thank all the dedicated Latvian posters for sharing a lot of information about hockey in Latvia, about the players, etc. It's great to see the sport expanding and as a Canucks fan, I am rather tickled with Kenins.

Also, best jerseys in the tournament. Simply gorgeous.

02-20-2014, 05:33 AM
Zaborsky

Quote:
Yup, as long as there aren't a bunch of guys with injuries or 'injuries', so we have to send our B team again.

Galviņš for Ozoliņš

That's pretty much the range of acceptable changes to our roster. If we have to replace more than 4-6 players, I think we can forget about quarter-finals.
Why couldn`t be motivated Ozolins&Co. to join also the WC? it seems that Latvia is in a great shape, Girgensons will be also there because Sabres won`t make the play-off

Zaborsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2014, 06:02 AM
ozo

Quote:

Galviņš for Ozoliņš

We still have Meija and Sirokovs to plug some holes. As I've said previosuly I'd consider Meija as an upgrade over Cipulis. Both can't score to save their lives, but you have to take Meija's forecheck over Cipulis efforts.

And no Nizivijs, please. Enough is enough.

ozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2014, 06:10 AM
s4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaborsky View Post
Why couldn`t be motivated Ozolins&Co. to join also the WC? it seems that Latvia is in a great shape, Girgensons will be also there because Sabres won`t make the play-off
Fairly sure OZO only came for olympics, and nice hat he did.

s4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-20-2014, 06:31 AM
Namejs
The Buffalo Eichels

Quote:
We still have Meija and Sirokovs to plug some holes. As I've said previosuly I'd consider Meija as an upgrade over Cipulis. Both can't score to save their lives, but you have to take Meija's forecheck over Cipulis efforts.

And no Nizivijs, please. Enough is enough.
OK, Meija roughly matches the caliber of our current bottom 6 guys. Širokovs doesn't (unless we're comparing him to Bērziņš).

Ņiživijs could play a couple of games, but, yeah, he doesn't have the speed or stamina anymore.

Cipulis was a great energy guys for us, he really gave everything when he was on ice. Speedy, persistent, etc.

Old
02-21-2014, 03:57 AM
ozo

Quote:
OK, Meija roughly matches the caliber of our current bottom 6 guys. Širokovs doesn't (unless we're comparing him to Bērziņš).

Ņiživijs could play a couple of games, but, yeah, he doesn't have the speed or stamina anymore.

Cipulis was a great energy guys for us, he really gave everything when he was on ice. Speedy, persistent, etc.
Sirokovs has plenty of hustle in him, also if an offensive chance has to fall to one of them, I'd give it to Sirokovs. His track record is decent. In no way, Sirokovs is as forgettable and expandable as Berzins.

Anyway it's weird to hold this position against a guy who was so high about our B team being on Slovenia's level.

ozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-21-2014, 06:54 AM
Namejs
The Buffalo Eichels

Quote:
Anyway it's weird to hold this position against a guy who was so high about our B team being on Slovenia's level.
Yup, our B team is about as good as Team Slovenia, but I'm not sure how it relates to what I said about our lineup in the IHWC and our chances to make the play-offs, though.

Slovenia is a Div1A-tier/tweener team.

Džeriņš
Meija
Bukarts
Ņiživijs
Jekimovs
Širokovs
Bļugers
Saulietis
Jevpalovs
Ivanāns
Kuzmenkovs
Bajarūns
R. Lipsbergs
Brahmanis

Laviņš
Galviņš
Cibuļskis
J. Rēdlihs
Jass
Jerofejevs
Andersons

Merzļikins
Jučers
Punnenovs

Are you telling me that these guys are worse than Slovenia? Pretty sure these guys could beat South Korea/Japan/UK/Hungary/Ukraine and advance to the Elite division, where they would lose to most teams and get sent back to Div1A, which is what the Slovenians are doing on a yearly basis.