HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

2014 — Latvia Roster Discussion (Released, post #1)

Old
06-26-2012, 11:45 AM
BalticWarrior

vCash: 500
Btw this is Bukarts jr in action http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBkiRKfTxnU

BalticWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 11:48 AM
Justinov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helo View Post
funny that 5 years ago i wouldnt have believed that Latvia can ever get first round draft pick let alone as high as girgensons and at 52nd blugers,the speed at which development is going is unbelievable.
Well since Latvia is a historically big hockey nation (though small in size) it was bound to happen eventually. I's just the waiting time between the super players that is frustrating, but when you only have few rinks it gets harder.
You still have the tradition and then general interest in the public (at least in Riga). Players getting suddenly out of nowhere from Norway and Denmark is more of a miracle...but it's because of the Swedish U-leagues. Without them it never would have happened.
Because of Heinz Ehlers in the 80's (Nikolaj's dad) it opened Swedish eyes to the existence of danish hockey - since the 80's most of the best danish national players had at one time played in Sweden.

Justinov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 11:51 AM
Justinov

Quote:
Btw this is Bukarts jr in action http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBkiRKfTxnU
haha..start the clip you have slow guy....then puck change team and you have fast guy ...it really show the difference between elite players and the others!
He seems to have great speed and good hands!

(actually looks a bit like Peter Regin if you remember the goals he scored for the danish NT in 2010).

Old
06-26-2012, 11:52 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinov View Post
Well since Latvia is a historically big hockey nation (though small in size) it was bound to happen eventually. I's just the waiting time between the super players that is frustrating, but when you only have few rinks it gets harder.
You still have the tradition and then general interest in the public (at least in Riga). Players getting suddenly out of nowhere from Norway and Denmark is more of a miracle...but it's because of the Swedish U-leagues. Without them it never would have happened.
Because of Heinz Ehlers in the 80's (Nikolaj's dad) it opened Swedish eyes to the existence of danish hockey - since the 80's most of the best danish national players had at one time played in Sweden.
Well KHL helps too with thier russian money,as much as id hate russia,they sure are helping us(atleast hockey-wise)
But i wouldnt say that Denmarks hockey looks bleak i would say exact opposite youre in best shape in a long time just like Latvia!
But idk about norway,yes they have been succesful because of their vets but once they retire who will replace them?

Last edited by BalticWarrior: 06-26-2012 at 11:58 AM.
Old
06-26-2012, 11:55 AM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
haha..start the clip you have slow guy....then puck change team and you have fast guy ...it really show the difference between elite players and the others!
He seems to have great speed and good hands!

(actually looks a bit like Peter Regin if you remember the goals he scored for the danish NT in 2010).
Oh yeah hes definiteley head and shoulders above anything else latvia has to offer. ill be closely following him in mhl.

Old
06-26-2012, 12:01 PM
Justinov

Quote:
Well KHL helps too with thier russian money,as much as id hate russia,they sure are helping us(atleast hockey-wise)
But i wouldnt say that Denmarks hockey looks bleak i would say exact opposite youre in best shape in a long time just like Latvia!
But idk about norway,yes they have been succesfull becaus of their vets but once they retire who will replace them?
It's actually a bit strange with Norway, that they suddenly seem to have a bit of a generation problem...it will start after Sochi 2014.
They have had one really good players some years ago: Espen Knutsen that became a star in Columbus, but had to stop because of injuries.
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=721
I remember seeing him on TV playing in Sweden in the mid 90's....he was amazingly good for Djurgården of all places. (SEL champion 1999-2000)
Then they got the generation active today (Skrøder, Thoresen, Tollefsen etc)...but why not a great follow up???
Offcourse Denmark has never been better than now (on paper at least....not counting this WC ).

Old
06-26-2012, 12:05 PM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
It's actually a bit strange with Norway, that they suddenly seem to have a bit of a generation problem...it will start after Sochi 2014.
They have had one really good players some years ago: Espen Knutsen that became a star in Columbus, but had to stop because of injuries.
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=721
I remember seeing him on TV playing in Sweden in the mid 90's....he was amazingly good for Djurgården of all places. (SEL champion 1999-2000)
Then they got the generation active today (Skrøder, Thoresen, Tollefsen etc)...but why not a great follow up???
Offcourse Denmark has never been better than now (on paper at least....not counting this WC ).
Oh yeah if norway doesnt do something theyll be down pretty fast

Old
06-26-2012, 12:07 PM
BalticWarrior

This is kind of OT but i was thinking if NHL has a lockout and Girgensons is in Buffalo sabres,i can only imagine the roster of Dinamo Riga-Daugavins,Kulda,Bartulis,Girgensons,oh my i would die of happiness.

Old
06-26-2012, 12:13 PM
Justinov

Quote:
Oh yeah if norway doesnt do something theyll be down pretty fast
If you see their young players they have Mats Zuccarello Aasen (small player that didn't really make it for NY Rangers in the NHL): He moves to KHL which i think is a very smart move from him. (Metallurg Magnitigorsk)
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=10881

Then Jonas Holøs that didn't make it in NHL either, but played fantastically at the WC (the Norwegian energizer bunny with Tollefsen).

Beside the 2 drafted goalies in 2011, it's Sondre Olden drafted in 2010 that is a norwegian hope for NHL, and still have a good shot at it i think.
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=27945

Old
06-26-2012, 12:15 PM
Justinov

Quote:
This is kind of OT but i was thinking if NHL has a lockout and Girgensons is in Buffalo sabres,i can only imagine the roster of Dinamo Riga-Daugavins,Kulda,Bartulis,Girgensons,oh my i would die of happiness.
haha...yeah and if Rødovre or Herning could field all their produced players.
Sadly money and prestige makes a super Dinamo Riga superteam much more likely - but yeah it would be something for the russian teams to bite on in the KHL.

Old
06-26-2012, 12:20 PM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
haha...yeah and if Rødovre or Herning could field all their produced players.
Sadly money and prestige makes a super Dinamo Riga superteam much more likely - but yeah it would be something for the russian teams to bite on in the KHL.
One can only dream,right? Latvians have a saying-hope dies last

Old
06-26-2012, 12:25 PM
BalticWarrior

Btw on topic of Dinamo Riga we have signed a new goalie coach Mikka Tervainanen,ever heard of him? http://www.eliteprospects.com/staff.php?staff=972

Old
06-26-2012, 12:27 PM
Justinov

Quote:
One can only dream,right? Latvians have a saying-hope dies last
Seems also that Røgle beside getting Thomas Spelling also got Fredrik Warg from Dinamo Riga and Mike Iggulden who also earlier have played for Dyn.Riga.
Seems Røgle has the fingers in your pot

So how do you think these two players were playing in KHL?

Old
06-26-2012, 12:29 PM
Justinov

Quote:
Btw on topic of Dinamo Riga we have signed a new goalie coach Mikka Tervainanen,ever heard of him? http://www.eliteprospects.com/staff.php?staff=972
Only very fleetingly.....im not so knowlegable of goaltending coaches!

Old
06-26-2012, 12:32 PM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
Seems also that Røgle beside getting Thomas Spelling also got Fredrik Warg from Dinamo Riga and Mike Iggulden who also earlier have played for Dyn.Riga.
Seems Røgle has the fingers in your pot

So how do you think these two players were playing in KHL?
Iggulden was okay not much to say about him,Warg was kind of average for us,really didnt live up to the expectations

Old
06-26-2012, 12:34 PM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
Only very fleetingly.....im not so knowlegable of goaltending coaches!
Im not sure what to make of this as our previous goalie coach Naumovs now is fired and i really liked him,puzzled why they did this.

Old
06-26-2012, 12:35 PM
Justinov

Quote:
Iggulden was okay not much to say about him,Warg was kind of average for us,really didnt live up to the expectations
So who are the best foreign import players for Dymamo Riga the recent years?

Old
06-26-2012, 12:36 PM
Justinov

Quote:
Im not sure what to make of this as our previous goalie coach Naumovs now is fired and i really liked him,puzzled why they did this.
Well the amount of stunningly good finnish goalies must mean they are doing something right

Old
06-26-2012, 12:38 PM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
So who are the best foreign import players for Dymamo Riga the recent years?
Marcel Hossa by far,also i think new Rob Schremp http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=8876 will be as good if not even better than hossa,also Telquist is not bad also will play for us this season.

Old
06-26-2012, 12:41 PM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
Well the amount of stunningly good finnish goalies must mean they are doing something right
Well Latvia doesnt have half as much goalie resources as Finland,but we will see what this guy will make out of himself,hope he can help Jucers develop,btw heres a cool montage with our Maris Jucers http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmriWs1BKpk

Old
06-26-2012, 12:46 PM
Justinov

Quote:
Marcel Hossa by far,also i think new Rob Schremp http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=8876 will be as good if not even better than hossa,also Telquist is not bad also will play for us this season.
Mikael Tellqvist is a good solid experienced goalie. You really thik Rob Schremp will be better than Marcel Hossa? His stats for Dyn Riga in 2008-09 and 2009-10 are really really good!

Old
06-26-2012, 12:47 PM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
Mikael Tellqvist is a good solid experienced goalie. You really thik Rob Schremp will be better than Marcel Hossa? His stats for Dyn Riga in 2008-09 and 2009-10 are really really good!
Well i do have high expectations for him,yes

Old
06-26-2012, 12:51 PM
Justinov

Quote:
Well Latvia doesnt have half as much goalie resources as Finland,but we will see what this guy will make out of himself,hope he can help Jucers develop,btw heres a cool montage with our Maris Jucers http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmriWs1BKpk
Jucers seem to be a primarely "low" goalie with good side-ways movement and from these clips good to hold shots. He looks to be leaving himself quite open to high shots.....what do you think from seeing him more than these clips?!

Old
06-26-2012, 12:53 PM
BalticWarrior

Quote:
Jucers seem to be a primarely "low" goalie with good side-ways movement and from these clips good to hold shots. He looks to be leaving himself quite open to high shots.....what do you think from seeing him more than these clips?!
Hes very calm in net,not easy to deke out kind of goalie,but lacks expierience on KHL level hope he gets plenty of games this season.

Old
06-26-2012, 12:55 PM
Justinov

Quote:
Hes very calm in net,not easy to deke out kind of goalie,but lacks expierience on KHL level hope he gets plenty of games this season.
So for NT how is the level between him and Masalskis? Will he be first in Sochi in 2 years?