HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

2014 — Latvia Roster Discussion (Released, post #1)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-26-2012, 12:57 PM
  #176
BalticWarrior
Registered User
 
BalticWarrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Riga
Country: Latvia
Posts: 4,565
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinov View Post
So for NT how is the level between him and Masalskis? Will he be first in Sochi in 2 years?
Not a chance the gap in skill is quite large but after sochi i could see battle between him and mustukovs.

BalticWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 12:59 PM
  #177
BalticWarrior
Registered User
 
BalticWarrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Riga
Country: Latvia
Posts: 4,565
vCash: 500
For comparision here masalskis best career game against finland http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRNpstyJ-WA
and this years play-off http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zgk4jHozCM

BalticWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 01:01 PM
  #178
Justinov
Registered User
 
Justinov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Copenhagen
Country: Denmark
Posts: 3,364
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helo View Post
Not a chance the gap in skill is quite large but after sochi i could see battle between him and mustukovs.
With Mustukovs...you mean the guy playing in the danish league last year (lol i must have had some influence....the danish league suddenly taken a little serious
- so Masalskis is clear number one. But you were still disappointed this WC with him. But since he was semi-injured it could explain some of it.

Justinov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 01:03 PM
  #179
BalticWarrior
Registered User
 
BalticWarrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Riga
Country: Latvia
Posts: 4,565
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinov View Post
With Mustukovs...you mean the guy playing in the danish league last year (lol i must have had some influence....the danish league suddenly taken a little serious
- so Masalskis is clear number one. But you were still disappointed this WC with him. But since he was semi-injured it could explain some of it.
Yeah and some of our defencemen werent god-sent either.

BalticWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 01:08 PM
  #180
Justinov
Registered User
 
Justinov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Copenhagen
Country: Denmark
Posts: 3,364
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helo View Post
For comparision here masalskis best career game against finland http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRNpstyJ-WA
and this years play-off http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zgk4jHozCM
LOL that was some finnish power play - a shooting arena. One of the only times you see a goalie almost collapsing for being tired on PP....at one point he has trouble getting back up on his feet. But he seems more upright than Jucers and goes a fraction later low on shots.....

Justinov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 01:10 PM
  #181
BalticWarrior
Registered User
 
BalticWarrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Riga
Country: Latvia
Posts: 4,565
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinov View Post
LOL that was some finnish power play - a shooting arena. One of the only times you see a goalie almost collapsing for being tired on PP....at one point he has trouble getting back up on his feet. But he seems more upright than Jucers and goes a fraction later low on shots.....
Yep if id have to describe Masalskis hes the kind of guy you go deep in the play-offs because hes a clear cut play-off goalie,really wish Riga still had him but oh well.

BalticWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 01:14 PM
  #182
Justinov
Registered User
 
Justinov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Copenhagen
Country: Denmark
Posts: 3,364
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helo View Post
Yep if id have to describe Masalskis hes the kind of guy you go deep in the play-offs because hes a clear cut play-off goalie,really wish Riga still had him but oh well.
Yeah being good at playoffs is all a mental thing.....and also experienced. Peaking when its mostly needed!
Well Latvia off course must have a huge goalie pressure because of Irbe.......everyone will be evaluated based on how superb he was!

Justinov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 01:17 PM
  #183
BalticWarrior
Registered User
 
BalticWarrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Riga
Country: Latvia
Posts: 4,565
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinov View Post
Yeah being good at playoffs is all a mental thing.....and also experienced. Peaking when its mostly needed!
Well Latvia off course must have a huge goalie pressure because of Irbe.......everyone will be evaluated based on how superb he was!
Oh you cant imagine every rookie goaltender is compared to Irbe and how Irbe had only one shot at playing in the 1980s Dinamo riga(back then it was NHL-calibre team) and he used the chance and became the superb goalie he was.

BalticWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 01:19 PM
  #184
Justinov
Registered User
 
Justinov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Copenhagen
Country: Denmark
Posts: 3,364
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helo View Post
Oh you cant imagine every rookie goaltender is compared to Irbe and how Irbe had only one shot at playing in the 1980s Dinamo riga(back then it was NHL-calibre team) and he used and became the superb goalie he was.
Yeah it's like living with a shadow that is not your own

Justinov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 01:21 PM
  #185
BalticWarrior
Registered User
 
BalticWarrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Riga
Country: Latvia
Posts: 4,565
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinov View Post
Yeah it's like living with a shadow that is not your own
but the fact remains that i dont see us producing Irbe-like goalie for the next 10-15 years atleast.and that makes me sad

BalticWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 01:25 PM
  #186
Justinov
Registered User
 
Justinov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Copenhagen
Country: Denmark
Posts: 3,364
vCash: 500
At least Denmark has absolutely no past goalie pressure. For years we had crap goal keepers. Then we got Peter Hirsch who i will rank as medium. He was very uneven....great one game rubbish the next. Very fast reactions, but made many rebounds.
But he was fantastic in our elite division 2003 debut! (hold Canada to 2-2).
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=217

Today we have one good goalie (Frederik Andersen - that hopefully can become great) and two medium (Patrick Galbraith and Simon Nielsen). Unprecedented depth for being Denmark.

Justinov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 01:27 PM
  #187
BalticWarrior
Registered User
 
BalticWarrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Riga
Country: Latvia
Posts: 4,565
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinov View Post
At least Denmark has absolutely no past goalie pressure. For years we had crap goal keepers. Then we got Peter Hirsch who i will rank as medium. He was very uneven....great one game rubbish the next. Very fast reactions, but made many rebounds.
But he was fantastic in our elite division 2003 debut! (hold Canada to 2-2).
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=217

Today we have one good goalie (Frederik Andersen - that hopefully can become great) and two medium (Patrick Galbraith and Simon Nielsen). Unprecedented depth for being Denmark.
I`d say Andersens biggest asset is his size,i mean ******* hes huge!

BalticWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-26-2012, 01:35 PM
  #188
Justinov
Registered User
 
Justinov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Copenhagen
Country: Denmark
Posts: 3,364
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helo View Post
I`d say Andersens biggest asset is his size,i mean ******* hes huge!
Yeah but actually he had a lousy playoff for Frölunda because Brynäs suddenly found out how to score on him. Especially Jakob Silfverberg.
Surprisingly you had to shoot high.......though Frederik Andersen is very upright he had a tendancy to (subconsiously) duck a little before the shot which left tiny openings up high. He really needs to work with a goal-coach on that or he will be slaughtered ever playing in the NHL with very precise snipers.

Justinov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 01:07 AM
  #189
BalticWarrior
Registered User
 
BalticWarrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Riga
Country: Latvia
Posts: 4,565
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinov View Post
Yeah but actually he had a lousy playoff for Frölunda because Brynäs suddenly found out how to score on him. Especially Jakob Silfverberg.
Surprisingly you had to shoot high.......though Frederik Andersen is very upright he had a tendancy to (subconsiously) duck a little before the shot which left tiny openings up high. He really needs to work with a goal-coach on that or he will be slaughtered ever playing in the NHL with very precise snipers.
So Justinov do you mostly watch danish league and SEL? Do you watch NHL?maybe KHL? whats your favourite?

BalticWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 06:06 AM
  #190
Justinov
Registered User
 
Justinov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Copenhagen
Country: Denmark
Posts: 3,364
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helo View Post
So Justinov do you mostly watch danish league and SEL? Do you watch NHL?maybe KHL? whats your favourite?
I used to watch a lot of swedish league. But because of TV rights I cant anymore. It's only the few highligts i get from regular swedish television. Now I mostly only see the highlights from NHL matches from their websites.
I have always followed the WC since the 80's. I have always been more a NT than club supporter (also when it comes to other sports).
The coverage af the danish league is basically non existant here, so I follow the internationalhockey forum for insider information on the danish players.
Havent really watched any KHL actually.....though seeing Latvia in WC through the years was like watching Dinamo Riga anyways

Justinov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 06:14 AM
  #191
BalticWarrior
Registered User
 
BalticWarrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Riga
Country: Latvia
Posts: 4,565
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinov View Post
I used to watch a lot of swedish league. But because of TV rights I cant anymore. It's only the few highligts i get from regular swedish television. Now I mostly only see the highlights from NHL matches from their websites.
I have always followed the WC since the 80's. I have always been more a NT than club supporter (also when it comes to other sports).
The coverage af the danish league is basically non existant here, so I follow the internationalhockey forum for insider information on the danish players.
Havent really watched any KHL actually.....though seeing Latvia in WC through the years was like watching Dinamo Riga anyways
So youre not a hard-core club supporter,thats for sure anyways if you are interested you can keep track of khl and get the newest highlights on their youtube account http://www.youtube.com/khl (and you can watch this years play-offs and gagarin cup finals)
But i guess for me its in scale of importance 1.Olympic games 2.WC and Dinamo riga/KHL PO(theyre both equally important for me) 4.NHL (Because of latvian players,especially now with Girgensons) 5.SEL i see it rarely mainly its shown on the KHL channel when its offseason,btw silverberg is beast

BalticWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 06:36 AM
  #192
Justinov
Registered User
 
Justinov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Copenhagen
Country: Denmark
Posts: 3,364
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helo View Post
So youre not a hard-core club supporter,thats for sure anyways if you are interested you can keep track of khl and get the newest highlights on their youtube account http://www.youtube.com/khl (and you can watch this years play-offs and gagarin cup finals)
But i guess for me its in scale of importance 1.Olympic games 2.WC and Dinamo riga/KHL PO(theyre both equally important for me) 4.NHL (Because of latvian players,especially now with Girgensons) 5.SEL i see it rarely mainly its shown on the KHL channel when its offseason,btw silverberg is beast
Well im the same...Olympics and WC are the important stuff for me. Otherwise i follow the clubs where danish players are. I would follow KHL as soon as it has danish players . SEL and Allsvenskan are the breeding ground for danish players anyways before they move to NHL (so i follow that newswise).

Justinov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 06:38 AM
  #193
BalticWarrior
Registered User
 
BalticWarrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Riga
Country: Latvia
Posts: 4,565
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinov View Post
Well im the same...Olympics and WC are the important stuff for me. Otherwise i follow the clubs where danish players are. I would follow KHL as soon as it has danish players . SEL and Allsvenskan are the breeding ground for danish players anyways before they move to NHL (so i follow that newswise).
Are there any likely candidates?

BalticWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 06:46 AM
  #194
BalticWarrior
Registered User
 
BalticWarrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Riga
Country: Latvia
Posts: 4,565
vCash: 500
Interesting stuff from canadian hockey news agency "The hockey news"(what an original name right?)
Theyre journalist Ryan Keneddy was talking about 2-7 round picks also Blugers,he noted that he has the skill top be top-6 player all he lacks is size and strenght but it can be fixed by playing in NCAA (where blugers will be heading this year)

BalticWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 06:48 AM
  #195
Justinov
Registered User
 
Justinov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Copenhagen
Country: Denmark
Posts: 3,364
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helo View Post
Are there any likely candidates?
Since you say in KHL you have to be an already established player that can take a top-6 spot it rules out bascially all danish players, since they are in NHL. It only really leaves Nichlas Hardt from Jokerit. As I have said before i cant fathom why no NHL club is interested on him. He is like a terrier. Very aggressive and loves the battle in the box before the goalkeeper. I don't know if KHL has many of this player-type, but he was really good this season in SM-liiga.
If Peter Regin's shoulder continue to cause problems, it might be a smart move for him to move to a less physical league than NHL. He has that very fast fluid style over the blueline that would fit KHL IMO.

Justinov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 06:50 AM
  #196
BalticWarrior
Registered User
 
BalticWarrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Riga
Country: Latvia
Posts: 4,565
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinov View Post
Since you say in KHL you have to be an already established player that can take a top-6 spot it rules out bascially all danish players, since they are in NHL. It only really leaves Nichlas Hardt from Jokerit. As I have said before i cant fathom why no NHL club is interested on him. He is like a terrier. Very aggressive and loves the battle in the box before the goalkeeper. I don't know if KHL has many of this player-type, but he was really good this season in SM-liiga.
If Peter Regin's shoulder continue to cause problems, it might be a smart move for me to move to a less physical league than NHL. He has that very fast fluid style over the blueline that would fit KHL IMO.
Yeah i was also thinking along the lines of Hardt,tho if lockout happens wouldnt be suprised if Regin went to KHL.

BalticWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 06:52 AM
  #197
Justinov
Registered User
 
Justinov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Copenhagen
Country: Denmark
Posts: 3,364
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helo View Post
Interesting stuff from canadian hockey news agency "The hockey news"(what an original name right?)
Theyre journalist Ryan Keneddy was talking about 2-7 round picks also Blugers,he noted that he has the skill top be top-6 player all he lacks is size and strenght but it can be fixed by playing in NCAA (where blugers will be heading this year)
exactly what i said. Girgensons got drafted 14 also because he has the size...Blugers are 2'nd round because he is "marginal" being 1.83. Because of the NHL small rinks we are seeing a tendency towards mega-men like in basketball. Hopefully Europe will continue to use big rinks or at least the intermediate size they have in Finland, so it doesn't end like you have to be min. 1.90 and 100 kg just to be interesting for the scouts.

Justinov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 06:55 AM
  #198
Justinov
Registered User
 
Justinov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Copenhagen
Country: Denmark
Posts: 3,364
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helo View Post
Yeah i was also thinking along the lines of Hardt,tho if lockout happens wouldnt be suprised if Regin went to KHL.
But i think the chance of a second lockout must be almost zero. They will lose outragious amounts of money, so it will be avoided at all costs.

Justinov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 06:55 AM
  #199
BalticWarrior
Registered User
 
BalticWarrior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Riga
Country: Latvia
Posts: 4,565
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justinov View Post
exactly what i said. Girgensons got drafted 14 also because he has the size...Blugers are 2'nd round because he is "marginal" being 1.83. Because of the NHL small rinks we are seeing a tendency towards mega-men like in basketball. Hopefully Europe will continue to use big rinks or at least the intermediate size they have in Finland, so it doesn't end like you have to be min. 1.90 and 100 kg just to be interesting for the scouts.
I dont think his height is the problem(plus hes 17 he still can grow a little) the problem is his muscle and weight,obviously he cant make him self grow faster,but he can gain muscle and get better at physical play.

BalticWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2012, 06:57 AM
  #200
Justinov
Registered User
 
Justinov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Copenhagen
Country: Denmark
Posts: 3,364
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helo View Post
I dont think his height is the problem(plus hes 17 he still can grow a little) the problem is his muscle and weight,obviously he cant make him self grow faster,but he can gain muscle and get better at physical play.
Thats the problem when kids are 16-17-18 years old.....you never know what the final outcome will be especially for north europeans that often are very late blooming.

Americans with all their hormonal beef seems to develope bulk faster!

Justinov is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:21 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.