HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Jakub Culek And Darren Kramer Sign Their Three Year Entry Level Contracts

Old
05-23-2012, 11:46 AM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midas View Post
I still remember him talking to Tie Domi (maybe day 2-3 of the camp) and wondering what if hes the next one
Never did find out what Domi was doing at the Sens development camp?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philadelphia Collins View Post
Hopefully Pageau and Prince are next
Is it possible that both these guys can be returned to junior as over-agers? Wouldn't hurt them to fill out a little more & put on more muscle before turning pro.

Last edited by aragorn: 05-23-2012 at 12:02 PM.
aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 01:44 PM
Pilgore88

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
Never did find out what Domi was doing at the Sens development camp?

Is it possible that both these guys can be returned to junior as over-agers? Wouldn't hurt them to fill out a little more & put on more muscle before turning pro.
Possible, but highly unlikely.

Pilgore88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 01:53 PM
Ouroboros

vCash: 50
Much more likely that Culek would return for an overage season.

Ouroboros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 02:34 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

Excited to see Kramer crack some skulls in the A next year. He's unfortunately coming into hockey at a bad time given his skill set. By the time he's ready for the show, fighting will be banned

FolignoQuantumLeap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 02:42 PM
The Expert
Registered Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrePetersson View Post
They are different players with different skillsets...
Duh? My point stands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ouroboros View Post
Yep, could definitely see that.

Last edited by The Expert: 05-24-2012 at 12:44 PM.
The Expert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 02:50 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

The sad thing is that Rimouski might not even want to waste an over age spot on Culek.

Old
05-23-2012, 03:08 PM
Berserker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post
Excited to see Kramer crack some skulls in the A next year. He's unfortunately coming into hockey at a bad time given his skill set. By the time he's ready for the show, fighting will be banned
I will be very surprised if fighting is ever banned from hockey. Kramer should be fun to watch though, hopefully he can keep improving his offensive game and end up as a solid 3rd or 4th liner for the sens.

Berserker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 03:15 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Quote:
I doubt that, they signed him for a reason & with his size & skill combination he will do well in Bingo. Both Pageau & Prince are on the small size & IMO could use another year to fill out & add some muscle if they want to compete against men. Caporusso has one yr in so IMO he would be ahead of both these two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruiser View Post
I will be very surprised if fighting is ever banned from hockey. Kramer should be fun to watch though, hopefully he can keep improving his offensive game and end up as a solid 3rd or 4th liner for the sens.
Looking forward to watch how Kramer does in Bingo, depending on who makes the team I could see Bingo being a bigger, tougher team then past yrs & with Luke as the head coach I think they will be tougher. Really liking how Murray is drafting bigger tougher players & seems to be putting together two good teams in Ottawa & Bingo.

Old
05-23-2012, 03:16 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

Quote:
Really? Its coming. And its coming soon. Its not even a question of if anymore, its just when. The NHL will have to follow the OHL/CHL's lead unfortunately. We're already seeing what the effects of banning headshots has done to the league and players. New kids from the OHL are getting lit up and cut into the neutral zone with their heads down ALL the time. Look at what's happened to Hall and Skinner so early in their careers.

The CHL feeds the NHL and they are traditionally the fighters at the next level. Once the new wave hits the NHL and has no idea how to protect themselves, the NHL's hand will be forced. No doubt in my mind that fighting will be an automatic ejection within the next 5 years. I don't agree with it but its coming and its fairly obvious that it will happen.

Old
05-23-2012, 03:29 PM
Berserker

Quote:
Really? Its coming. And its coming soon. Its not even a question of if anymore, its just when. The NHL will have to follow the OHL/CHL's lead unfortunately. We're already seeing what the effects of banning headshots has done to the league and players. New kids from the OHL are getting lit up and cut into the neutral zone with their heads down ALL the time. Look at what's happened to Hall and Skinner so early in their careers.

The CHL feeds the NHL and they are traditionally the fighters at the next level. Once the new wave hits the NHL and has no idea how to protect themselves, the NHL's hand will be forced. No doubt in my mind that fighting will be an automatic ejection within the next 5 years. I don't agree with it but its coming and its fairly obvious that it will happen.
I still think it is a low probability that fighting gets out right banned from the game. You do make some valid points though. What I see happening is that they will keep adding steep fines ans suspensions for dirty hits and that there won't be any pure enforcers in the game. We have already started to see that last season with pretty much every heavyweight fighter being pushed down into the AHL. I still will be very surprised if it ever gets banned. More fans enjoy fighting than those that do not, the players are mostly supportive of it and it is far less dangerous to the players health than the dirty hits that they are starting to crack down on.

Old
05-23-2012, 03:35 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

Quote:
I still think it is a low probability that fighting gets out right banned from the game. You do make some valid points though. What I see happening is that they will keep adding steep fines ans suspensions for dirty hits and that there won't be any pure enforcers in the game. We have already started to see that last season with pretty much every heavyweight fighter being pushed down into the AHL. I still will be very surprised if it ever gets banned. More fans enjoy fighting than those that do not, the players are mostly supportive of it and it is far less dangerous to the players health than the dirty hits that they are starting to crack down on.
If I had my way, I'd go the other way and just get rid of the instigator to counter the dangerous hits. Make guys responsible for their actions and one or two tough guys would actually have a role on NHL clubs. If the Great One is in favour of it then I have no problem getting behind the idea.

Old
05-23-2012, 04:15 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Quote:
If I had my way, I'd go the other way and just get rid of the instigator to counter the dangerous hits. Make guys responsible for their actions and one or two tough guys would actually have a role on NHL clubs. If the Great One is in favour of it then I have no problem getting behind the idea.
I've been saying this for yrs & this would get rid of all those little rats that won't drop their gloves after they have made a really cheap shot. I would rather see players accountable than all these cheap head shots we have seen this yr. With the speed of the game, the size of the players & the hard hits that are inevidable, if someone does something stupid they will have to be held accountable. I doubt fighting will be out of the NHL any time soon, the fans seem to love it too much & the players think it is a necessary part of the game including still in the playoffs.

Old
05-23-2012, 05:43 PM
Pilgore88

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
I doubt that, they signed him for a reason & with his size & skill combination he will do well in Bingo. Both Pageau & Prince are on the small size & IMO could use another year to fill out & add some muscle if they want to compete against men. Caporusso has one yr in so IMO he would be ahead of both these two.
I would think the sens management would rather let Culek play in the Q, use the year to try and get some offense to his game. He will still have his defensive game, but if he plays in the AHL next year he will have close to no shot at developing an Offensive game.

Pageau (at times) and Prince both dominated their respective leagues, they have developed their offensive games. Sending them back to fill out and add muscle seems counter productive. In Bingo they would be training with a pro team and Ottawa would have much more regulation on their training. Culek will either be in Elmira or the Q next year.

Old
05-23-2012, 05:50 PM
Alfie#11

Quote:
I wouldn't think so. Junior teams don't like to give up both an overage spot and a Euro import spot on one player.

I can see Culek in the ECHL.

Alfie#11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 05:59 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officer Farva View Post
I would think the sens management would rather let Culek play in the Q, use the year to try and get some offense to his game. He will still have his defensive game, but if he plays in the AHL next year he will have close to no shot at developing an Offensive game.

Pageau (at times) and Prince both dominated their respective leagues, they have developed their offensive games. Sending them back to fill out and add muscle seems counter productive. In Bingo they would be training with a pro team and Ottawa would have much more regulation on their training. Culek will either be in Elmira or the Q next year.
Well I would argue that Culek has the size/skill combination that a lot of hockey people like. From what I have read he did a very good job this season & specifically in the playoffs as a shutdown winger. He is responsible defensively with some offence & could easily fill a 3rd line shutdown winger role in Bingo more so than either Prince or Pageau who from what I have read & know about their play are much more offensive minded & need to work on their defensive play. But this is just an opinion, I hope they both do well, I think Prince has the better chance though of the two. They must have signed Culek for a reason? We'll see.

Old
05-23-2012, 08:08 PM
ThrowInA2ndRounder

i would rather them sign sorensen vs kramer... although the only thing i know about him is his awesome pb jar and that he fights

ThrowInA2ndRounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 08:33 PM
Holdurbreathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officer Farva View Post

Dorion felt that Culek would make a good NHLer, just not as offensively productive as they had first thought.

Culek was in the top five point producers in Rimouski while missing 13 games. While I wouldn't project him to be a top liner, he has the tools to be an NHL player.

Holdurbreathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 02:06 AM
QuietOnTheFront
@QuietOnTheFront

Quote:
100% agree.

No body touched Gretzky because of McSorely and Semenko. No body went after Yzerman because of Probert. There was accountability in the league, because if you weren't you paid the consequences by being fed

QuietOnTheFront is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 09:10 AM
Philadelphia Collins

According to the 6th Sens, Pageau signed his ELC today as well

e: oops didn't see other thread

Philadelphia Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 12:29 PM
Pilgore88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holdurbreathe View Post
Dorion felt that Culek would make a good NHLer, just not as offensively productive as they had first thought.

Culek was in the top five point producers in Rimouski while missing 13 games. While I wouldn't project him to be a top liner, he has the tools to be an NHL player.
I don't doubt that, I said he will still have his defensive game next year. I just feel that he would have a better chance at gaining some offensive confidence playing his final year in junior, then making the step to the pros.

Old
05-26-2012, 02:19 PM
Bileur

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietOnTheFront View Post
100% agree.

No body touched Gretzky because of McSorely and Semenko. No body went after Yzerman because of Probert. There was accountability in the league, because if you weren't you paid the consequences by being fed
It's one of the things I loved about this season's sens :

Dont ****ing touch Karlsson

Bileur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 02:33 PM
mat_sens
@mat_sens #lalala

vCash: 10639
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietOnTheFront View Post
100% agree.

Glad to have a coach that endorses this as well.

mat_sens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-26-2012, 02:34 PM
Berserker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrowInA2ndRounder View Post
i would rather them sign sorensen vs kramer... although the only thing i know about him is his awesome pb jar and that he fights
Seriously? Why? Sorenson showed very little development since he was drafted while Kramer became the captain of his team and went on to triple his goal total from the previous season and nearly triple his point total. Kramer established himself as a real prospect with bottom six potential and not simply just as a fighter.

Old
05-26-2012, 02:37 PM
Berserker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bileur View Post
It's one of the things I loved about this season's sens :

Dont ****ing touch Karlsson
Both of those events were pretty big for the team. It is good to see that MacLean and Murray endorse this kind of hockey. Hopefully we see more of this going forward, teams should be very cautious about targeting any of our star players or are prospects.

Old
05-27-2012, 07:51 AM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by bileur View Post
it's one of the things i loved about this season's sens :

dont ****ing touch karlsson
"don't touch jimmy"