Jets 2012-2013 lineup

Old
05-25-2012, 01:43 AM
ps241
Hero of CantonKiller

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diggyjets View Post
still alot of burmi on the 2nd line.. what has he proved ? not enough to show a 2nd line.. not even close.. i guess his "potential "is enough to put him up there??? 3rd line tops for his whole career is what he has proved.. if that... we have him on our 2nd and were in trouble
Diggyjets you crack me up bro

You have 20 year old Burmi relegated to 3rd line tops......wait for it........"for his whole career" and a few threads back you have soon to be 20 year old Sean Couturier as a "can't miss future all star"...hard to believe the two boys scored 28 and 27 points respectively this last season.

I think they both have the potential to be dandy players ONE DAY but you might want to ratchet down the Definitive statements of where they "WILL" end up and let the thing play out. Nobody has a crystal ball.......or do you?

ps241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 10:12 AM
TCsmyth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post

You have 20 year old Burmi relegated to 3rd line tops......wait for it........"for his whole career" and a few threads back you have soon to be 20 year old Sean Couturier as a "can't miss future all star"...hard to believe the two boys scored 28 and 27 points respectively this last season.

I think they both have the potential to be dandy players ONE DAY but you might want to ratchet down the Definitive statements of where they "WILL" end up and let the thing play out. Nobody has a crystal ball.......or do you?
I could not have said it better myself...so I won't

TCsmyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 10:51 AM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCsmyth View Post
I could not have said it better myself...so I won't
NO kidding, i was just reading that and thinking someones wearing the fan boy glasses (or anti-fan boy). Talk all you want about Couturiers shutting down of Malkin, burmi has been one of our best penalty killers. they put up very comparable numbers, but yes burmi is a year older. is that really the difference between a "third line tops" grinder and "surefire superstar", the same production one year apart?

DIggy, please acknowledge that this is a fairly ludicrous assumption to make.

and unless you watched every flyers game, you, like most people, probably has only seen highlight and post game coverage of Couturiers play. Which I'd hope your aware of is ONLY the good stuff, and not really indictive of the type of player they are. Trust me, Rob Schremp has a really good highlight real.

Grind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 10:58 AM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator
Pavlovian Response

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind View Post
(...)

and unless you watched every flyers game, you, like most people, probably has only seen highlight and post game coverage of Couturiers play. Which I'd hope your aware of is ONLY the good stuff, and not really indictive of the type of player they are. Trust me, Rob Schremp has a really good highlight real.
You could put a nice one together for Burmi based on this last year as well. However, you could also put together a reel that would be jam packed with instances of him having puck possession for an extended period that led to nothing in the offensive zone. Likewise, I'm sure you could do the same for Couturier using examples of his poor play. I would not be surprised if Burmi were tasked with shutting down Malkin, that he could perform similarly to Couturier. Burmi's a pesky dude in the d-zone.

It's easy to cherry pick based on highlight shown on TV, or posted on NHL.com.

Drifting OT though.

There's no reason that Burmi on the 3rd line should be seen as a bad thing, IF that line can consistently contribute like a good 3rd line should. That requires some juggling of the roster to happen though, IMHO.

YWGinYYZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 11:10 AM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by YWGinYYZ View Post

There's no reason that Burmi on the 3rd line should be seen as a bad thing, IF that line can consistently contribute like a good 3rd line should. That requires some juggling of the roster to happen though, IMHO.
Honestly i think if you got a sort of second rate sniper to play lw a third line of
(mystery finisher)/Burmi/Machacek(provided he plays somewhere close to the level he did at the end of the season, i have no illusions he will keep that pace up) would be dynamite

In the OZone
Your mystery finisher is ideally fast but probably a little one dimensional(he is second rate after all) and would give burmi someone to set up and finish the plays. Machacek does what he does hounding the fore check, creating space, and getting to the dirty areas to open up the ice for Burmi and finisher.

Int he DZone
Burmi, as stated, continues his extraordinarily pesky ways and the great Stomachache is no slouch in his d zone coverage as well. I think these too should probably make up for any shortcomings of our second rate left wing, who presents the threat of a fast breakout.

the issue: is this reality?
I have no idea, but in my mind it sounds great. Now the question is...who is this second rate left winger?

Old
05-25-2012, 11:47 AM
YWGinYYZ
Global Moderator
Pavlovian Response

vCash: 50
Quote:
Honestly i think if you got a sort of second rate sniper to play lw a third line of
(mystery finisher)/Burmi/Machacek(provided he plays somewhere close to the level he did at the end of the season, i have no illusions he will keep that pace up) would be dynamite

In the OZone
Your mystery finisher is ideally fast but probably a little one dimensional(he is second rate after all) and would give burmi someone to set up and finish the plays. Machacek does what he does hounding the fore check, creating space, and getting to the dirty areas to open up the ice for Burmi and finisher.

Int he DZone
Burmi, as stated, continues his extraordinarily pesky ways and the great Stomachache is no slouch in his d zone coverage as well. I think these too should probably make up for any shortcomings of our second rate left wing, who presents the threat of a fast breakout.

the issue: is this reality?
I have no idea, but in my mind it sounds great. Now the question is...who is this second rate left winger?
Potentially: Telegin.

Telegin - Burmi - Machacek.

YWGinYYZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 12:38 PM
Diggyjets
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps241 View Post

haha im glad i crack you up.. i did say that couterier will be an all star before sheifele makes a big difference for us jets... with burmi i said from how he had played SO far.. he would fit the 3rd line.. a guy can run around and look good hit when he feels like it...but reality is he cant get over 30 points... after next year i will shut my big jet loving yap about him if burmi shows the potential that everyone says he has..theres alot of players that can hit , backcheck and look flashy like burmi while scoring 30 points or less.. i just dont get why everyone is putting a player that hasnt proved himself on our 2nd line... id be more comfortable with him fighting for a roster spot in camp, my opinions might be a little out there sometimes but they are not that far off of what could happen... im only worried about burmi and sheifele so far... and i wouldnt even be worried about mark if there wasnt a 6 4 190 pound center that plays like mike richards behind him...

Diggyjets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 12:50 PM
Diggyjets
Rookie User

Quote:
NO kidding, i was just reading that and thinking someones wearing the fan boy glasses (or anti-fan boy). Talk all you want about Couturiers shutting down of Malkin, burmi has been one of our best penalty killers. they put up very comparable numbers, but yes burmi is a year older. is that really the difference between a "third line tops" grinder and "surefire superstar", the same production one year apart?

DIggy, please acknowledge that this is a fairly ludicrous assumption to make.

i dont know what you watch.. but since couterier was passed up i have watched at least 30 of his games in full to back my claim up. you say you were reading.. we were not even comparing burmi and couturier.. so you must of missed what we were talking about.. "fan boy" lol, i thought these forums were a spot to talk about the team you love.and spark debates and respect everyones opinions, i probably woudlnt be taking shots at people. thats just me though.

Old
05-25-2012, 01:27 PM
Romang67
BitterSwede

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhay1987 View Post
It's kind of crazy to think of but man would an Einstein plus one of our young grinders (spenc, cormier ) for staal make sense for both teams..
Did everyone just miss this comment, or is everyone but me too magnanimous to make fun of it?

Romang67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 01:42 PM
ps241
Hero of CantonKiller

Quote:
haha im glad i crack you up.. i did say that couterier will be an all star before sheifele makes a big difference for us jets... with burmi i said from how he had played SO far.. he would fit the 3rd line.. a guy can run around and look good hit when he feels like it...but reality is he cant get over 30 points... after next year i will shut my big jet loving yap about him if burmi shows the potential that everyone says he has..theres alot of players that can hit , backcheck and look flashy like burmi while scoring 30 points or less.. i just dont get why everyone is putting a player that hasnt proved himself on our 2nd line... id be more comfortable with him fighting for a roster spot in camp, my opinions might be a little out there sometimes but they are not that far off of what could happen... im only worried about burmi and sheifele so far... and i wouldnt even be worried about mark if there wasnt a 6 4 190 pound center that plays like mike richards behind him...
Since I was giving you a rough time I will acknowledge you have made a good point IMHO about putting Burmi on the second line. I too believe he will need to earn that and grow into it. we shall see how it goes but i think he would be better served on a 3rd line for now.

Burmi also makes me nervous I was concerned about the allegations at the end of the season regarding Alex being a bit uncoachable and not taking advice from team leaders. I do love his compete level and his tenacious edgy style.....we really need him to listen to the coach's and grow into a more consistant performer offensively.

Mark I have less concerns with......I just think he will be a late bloomer. He has a great attitude good frame, great skill set, is very coachable, but lacks physical maturity. One more year in juniors then maybe a year in the AHL and I would not be at all suprised to see him duplicate what Adam Henrique did in his rookie year but 4th year after he was drafted. 2nd line centre that can slide into the first line when needed and gets over 50 points in his rookie year. lord knows financially we can use a player or two that aren't RFA's like Kane Bogo and Burmi when they are so young. I would much rather have Mark slow roasted to perfection and ready to go when he arrives than flash fried and served up before he is ready. long term if we want to be a championship team we will need some affordable high performers and Having a guy like Herique who made his bones developing in the system and is now a producing top 6 forward for $854,000 x 2 years is beautiful.

Old
05-25-2012, 01:44 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
i dont know what you watch.. but since couterier was passed up i have watched at least 30 of his games in full to back my claim up. you say you were reading.. we were not even comparing burmi and couturier.. so you must of missed what we were talking about.. "fan boy" lol, i thought these forums were a spot to talk about the team you love.and spark debates and respect everyones opinions, i probably woudlnt be taking shots at people. thats just me though.
sorry diggy, i must apologise as i'm probably unfairly targeting you. there's been a lot of "cult of couturier" on these boards that hail him as the next coming of christ with very little back up, reference, or any real solid ground to stand on aside from personal attraction.

It has created a bit of a knee jerk reaction and i apologise for that.

So for the constructive debate to save myself:

I watched quite a few games of his, he was responsible in the role he was given but rarely did i see anything that stood out as all star in the making. i saw a player much more prepared for the pro game then many his age, but i didn't see talent oozing off of his stick or anything that really made me go "wow".

I saw smart, capable player, an impressive display for a 18-19 yearold, but not necessarily anything that shouted "future franchise player".

The big issue i think that struck a nerve was your wording, it wasn't "right now he appears to be" it was " get used to him being a 3rd liner", wether or not that's what you meant, it is how it was received. Thee issue being, if SC is performing statically the same, with a bigger body, and generally more polish but is a "future franchise player" how can Burmistrov, with very similar numbers yet remarkably less polish be only a future 3rd liner, when polish (in my mind) is definitly something that can be taught/trained and improved upon.

i think that's what the main issue was.

Old
05-25-2012, 01:48 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by YWGinYYZ View Post
Potentially: Telegin.

Telegin - Burmi - Machacek.
totally would love to see that

Old
05-25-2012, 01:54 PM
Zhamnov10

My crack at it

Kane-Little-Wheeler
Ladd-Burmi-Jones(FA)
Antro-Slater-Tootoo(FA)
Glass-Cormier-Thorburn

Enstrom-Bogo
Hainsey-Buff
Stuart-Clitsome/Jackman(FA)

Pavelec/Mason/Clemmenson(FA)

At some point throughout the year it would be nice to replace Antro or wait to next year for either Klingberg or Telegin to hopefully be ready.Also would great if we could move Hainsey and get a better look at Postma I don't see Postma being a good fit with our D the way it stands and for that matter ever as long as we have Buff.David Jones is the FA i think we need the most.

Last edited by Zhamnov10: 05-25-2012 at 02:10 PM.
Zhamnov10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 02:16 PM
Huffer

vCash: 1090
Quote:
To the first bolded, your original quote was, "3rd line tops for his whole career is what he has proved.."

So now you are saying he's not stuck there for his "whole career" and you are willing to see how he does next year? That's a nice switch.

As for the second bolded section, I agree, there are many. One of them is Sean Couturier.

Huffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 02:20 PM
Huffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romang67 View Post
Did everyone just miss this comment, or is everyone but me too magnanimous to make fun of it?
I think Einstein is too smart of a player for us to get rid of.

Old
05-25-2012, 02:23 PM
BigTuna49
RIP KevFist

vCash: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
To the first bolded, your original quote was, "3rd line tops for his whole career is what he has proved.."

So now you are saying he's not stuck there for his "whole career" and you are willing to see how he does next year? That's a nice switch.

As for the second bolded section, I agree, there are many. One of them is Sean Couturier.
I think he means, "all of his 1st two seasons". It was poorly worded. I think it's becoming almost stupid how much people underrate this KID.

BigTuna49 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 02:43 PM
Diggyjets
Rookie User

Quote:

so far he has proved to be a 3rd line center. excactly what i said.. and just because im not sold on a player doesnt mean im not open to getting behind him when he shows solid improvment. so far hes right track to be a 3rd line guy..thats how he has played... well coutierer outplayed burmi by a mile this year. in every way.. for a rookie to outplay burmi like that seems to me his potential should be through the roof shouldnt it???? id be happy with couterier getting 50 to 60 points while shutting down the best of them every year... when you drafted couterer thats what you know you will get... with sheifele if he doesnt pan out to be a number one centre with 70 point plus every year ( which he wont) then whats the point of throwing away 3 to 5 years of solid play from couterier to wait for mark? i really hope im wrong.. i just dont see shiefele being a superstar. hasnt really shown me anything this year.. sure he played alot of hockey but not once has he stood out.. not in the wjc....in barrie he was average and he would of shot down the draft if he waited a year...and the ice caps he was ok..

Old
05-25-2012, 02:46 PM
Diggyjets
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke49 View Post
I think he means, "all of his 1st two seasons". It was poorly worded. I think it's becoming almost stupid how much people underrate this KID.
i need to take the rust of my grammer skills thats for sure.. lol thanks for seeing that

Old
05-25-2012, 02:48 PM
Huffer

I agree with Duke in that it seems people are forgetting just how young this guy is.

If he was in the Detroit, Nashville, or any other organization with some depth, he would've been in junior the last two years, and probably on his way to the AHL next year.

No New Guys:

Kane-Little-Wheeler
Ladd-Antro-Wellwood
Burmi-Slater-Machacek
Glass-Cormier-Thorburn

Not ideal having Antro and Wellwood on the 2nd line, and probably not ideal having Burmi, Slater, and Machacek together, but I think Slater is a better player than he is allowed to be on the GST line. If Burmistrov plays well, he could always replace either Antro or Wellwood if they were struggling.

Old
05-25-2012, 03:19 PM
sully1410

The only thing I would suggest is putting Burmi and Antro together. I read that they have really good chemistry, and that Nik is the only guy that Burmi listens to.

It's an Ed Tait article, and apparently it was info from an "unknown jets player", whatever the hell that means.

sully1410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-25-2012, 03:22 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
so far he has proved to be a 3rd line center. excactly what i said.. and just because im not sold on a player doesnt mean im not open to getting behind him when he shows solid improvment. so far hes right track to be a 3rd line guy..thats how he has played... well coutierer outplayed burmi by a mile this year. in every way.. for a rookie to outplay burmi like that seems to me his potential should be through the roof shouldnt it???? id be happy with couterier getting 50 to 60 points while shutting down the best of them every year... when you drafted couterer thats what you know you will get... with sheifele if he doesnt pan out to be a number one centre with 70 point plus every year ( which he wont) then whats the point of throwing away 3 to 5 years of solid play from couterier to wait for mark? i really hope im wrong.. i just dont see shiefele being a superstar. hasnt really shown me anything this year.. sure he played alot of hockey but not once has he stood out.. not in the wjc....in barrie he was average and he would of shot down the draft if he waited a year...and the ice caps he was ok..
As a rookie he is not only bigger but was clearly more NHL ready. Most fans were shocked that burmi stuck with the thrashers last year, where as Couturier was touted as the most NHL ready player in last years draft.

I wouldn't say he outplayed burmi drastically. There's too many variables including linemates, team style and competition faced. statistically he did better on +/- (though i'd be suprised to see if his relative +/- was that much better) threw less hits, but had a better tA/GA differential, and one less point.

From a statistical representation that is not DRASTICALLY outplaying. Factor in that he was in an established environment, with a coach who had an established system with the rest of his team compared to what Burmi was dealing with (2+ months of constant line changes and strategy shifts while noel got a feel for the team) and I will heartily agree to disagree that he drastically outperformed him.

Finally, even if he did outperform burmi, why is the jump so high?

I'm sorry but it really seems like your arbitrarily increasing one players ceiling and capping another's when in actuality the performance has been remarkably similar. You can make the argument of what you've seen, but theirs a reason why qualitative evidence is generally unaccepted by the analytical community. we can watch the same player and see completely different things where as the score sheet doesn't count goals that don't get scored.Now, you can manipulate statistics to suit your fancy, but there's at least some basis of fact involved.

If sean played this way next year, without improvement, is he still a surefire all star, or will he now have proved that up until this point he is only a third liner?

edit (second bolding): I take it your time machine is in good running order? This is why i feel the need to debate with you, statements like this are not a convincing argument, they are personal belief being presented as fact.

Last edited by Grind: 05-25-2012 at 03:30 PM.
Old
05-25-2012, 03:24 PM
Huffer

Quote:
If you meant that all he has proven is that he is a third liner "right now" then I would think that most people would agree. Putting in the remark about "his whole career" really didn't do much to help get your point across.

I agree with what Grind was saying above. What makes Couturier's year "miles" better than Burmistrovs? They were both on the 3rd line for most of the season, played the PK, and put up similar points. If your opinion is that Burmistrov is a 3rd line guy right now (which most would likely agree), then SC is a 3rd line guy by all the same standards.

Curious to also know how you can be "sure" SC is going to get 50-60 points and be a shutdown C, but Burmistrov can't or won't? I think they both can be that player, and their seasons have shown this. I also think that of the two, SC will be the "better" true shut down guy due to his size, but Burmistrov will have more high end skill and produce more points. They both could, and should end up on the 2nd line should they develop into their potential.

Why would we be throwing 3-5 years of SC for MS? They will both have 7 years with the team that drafted them before they can become UFA's. No one is guaranteed more than that. If we drafted SC, maybe we only have him from ages 18-24? With Mark, if he doesn't make the Jets next year and does the year after we will have him from ages 20-26.

It's fine if you think SC is going to be great. It seems like you also think Scheifele is not going to amount to much. You are welcome to your own opinion.

But it seems kind of strange to look at the the last season for Burmistrov and Couturier and see that while their roles and stats were almost identical, that one is headed for stardom, and the other was outplayed by "miles".

Old
05-25-2012, 03:41 PM
ps241
Hero of CantonKiller

Quote:
Diggy man you are killing me!! where to start.

all the bolded areas in your post are either factually wrong or pure speculation.

Burmi outscored Couturier if you want to get technical about it......and how does how SC played compared to Burmi translate into Couturier potential being through the roof? and the part about whether Scheif will pan out and you throw in "WHICH HE WON'T"

In Barrie he was far from average this season and progressed nicely this year both offensively and defensively.

once again with the crystal ball.........it’s ok to say it’s your opinion but when you say it as a matter of fact it comes across as....well.........I am looking for a polite word.

Edit: Grind and Huff beating me to it..........we are officially flagged for the piling on penalty (LOL)

Last edited by ps241: 05-25-2012 at 03:49 PM.
Old
05-25-2012, 03:54 PM
Diggyjets
Rookie User

Quote:
If you meant that all he has proven is that he is a third liner "right now" then I would think that most people would agree. Putting in the remark about "his whole career" really didn't do much to help get your point across.

I agree with what Grind was saying above. What makes Couturier's year "miles" better than Burmistrovs? They were both on the 3rd line for most of the season, played the PK, and put up similar points. If your opinion is that Burmistrov is a 3rd line guy right now (which most would likely agree), then SC is a 3rd line guy by all the same standards.

Curious to also know how you can be "sure" SC is going to get 50-60 points and be a shutdown C, but Burmistrov can't or won't? I think they both can be that player, and their seasons have shown this. I also think that of the two, SC will be the "better" true shut down guy due to his size, but Burmistrov will have more high end skill and produce more points. They both could, and should end up on the 2nd line should they develop into their potential.

Why would we be throwing 3-5 years of SC for MS? They will both have 7 years with the team that drafted them before they can become UFA's. No one is guaranteed more than that. If we drafted SC, maybe we only have him from ages 18-24? With Mark, if he doesn't make the Jets next year and does the year after we will have him from ages 20-26.

It's fine if you think SC is going to be great. It seems like you also think Scheifele is not going to amount to much. You are welcome to your own opinion.

But it seems kind of strange to look at the the last season for Burmistrov and Couturier and see that while their roles and stats were almost identical, that one is headed for stardom, and the other was outplayed by "miles".
it works both ways.. just because couturier was on a team with alot more depth doesnt give him an edge. with so much talent up front he was stuck with 4th line and top pk minutes, if he was on the jets and getting 2nd line minutes like burmi was we would of have him contending for a calder.. couturier played 14 min a game almost half of that every night on the pk... burmi played 16 min 2nd to only Little which indicates mostly 2nd line ice time. offensive ice time. there roles were not even close to identical.. burmi was actually put in a position to get more points and start scoring.. couterier was not.. and also burmi was a +4 couturier was a + 18 ( give or take) while playing on the pk.... not to mention couturier has 20 pounds plus on him.. burmi will be along the likes of a Jim Slater, and other great 3rd liners most likely.. Couturier will be up their with Mike Richards, Dustin browns, and other top 6 players who are just as good defensivly as there 50 to 60 points ( gems i think we call them )

Old
05-25-2012, 04:05 PM
Aerial

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully1410 View Post
The only thing I would suggest is putting Burmi and Antro together. I read that they have really good chemistry, and that Nik is the only guy that Burmi listens to.

It's an Ed Tait article, and apparently it was info from an "unknown jets player", whatever the hell that means.
It was a Lawless article, and it wasn't identified as coming from an "unknown Jets player," but a "Jets veteran," who obviously was speaking under the condition of anonymity.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/spo...149618985.html

Aerial is offline   Reply With Quote