HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Why did Doan and Smith get a Game Misconduct?

Old
05-23-2012, 05:09 AM
Huntershin Karuk
Horvat is Horfat

vCash: 500
Yeah, Smith seems like the Kesler of goalies. Not a very likeable person.

Huntershin Karuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 08:45 AM
jaems

If fine to be livid at a call/non-call.

It's not fine to throw something at them. You'd think they'd know better being over the age of 12 and all.

jaems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 08:47 AM
pacerhimself

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaems View Post
If fine to be livid at a call/non-call.

It's not fine to throw something at them. You'd think they'd know better being over the age of 12 and all.
I like how sliding a stick on the ice is 'throwing something at them'. He wasn't trying to take off his head.

pacerhimself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 08:53 AM
ak90210

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagel Bites View Post
They saw Doughty get away with it and figured nothing would happen if they acted like children. And if the game was still going on, nothing would have because the NHL's rules against that stuff aren't strong enough.

Basketball players get technicals for pretty much expressing emotion.

The NBA has taken it way too far. They should just let them yell at the refs. Who cares?

ak90210 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
jaems

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacerhimself View Post
I like how sliding a stick on the ice is 'throwing something at them'. He wasn't trying to take off his head.
Doesn't matter if he slid it, under-handed it, granny threw it, or threw a jersey instead of a stick, the gesture was juvenile.

Old
jaems

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak90210 View Post

The NBA has taken it way too far. They should just let them yell at the refs. Who cares?
Fixed it

Old
05-23-2012, 09:03 AM
Number8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaems View Post
Doesn't matter if he slid it, under-handed it, granny threw it, or threw a jersey instead of a stick, the gesture was juvenile.
Yes, juvenile I agree. However, it was also a lot less threatening than Doughty repeatedly slapping his stick on this ice in the direction of the refs after the interference call. Just a far, maybe more so, over the line than Smith at the end of the game.

League should have a talk with Doughty and tell him that's the first and last time he pulls that crap, playoff game or not.

Number8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 10:18 AM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number8 View Post
Yes, juvenile I agree. However, it was also a lot less threatening than Doughty repeatedly slapping his stick on this ice in the direction of the refs after the interference call. Just a far, maybe more so, over the line than Smith at the end of the game.

League should have a talk with Doughty and tell him that's the first and last time he pulls that crap, playoff game or not.
Difference is Doughty's reaction is a spur of the moment thing right after the incedent happened... Smith has a good couple of minutes to calm down and think about things and is still butt hurt because of a blown call not involving him and twice makes threatening moves towards the refs...

But yeah, Doughty whined like a baby and threw a tantrum about a missed call and then let it go. Smith three times after the game ended went after players/refs for a blown call that had taken place minutes before. Kind of a bit of a difference when you consider the context of each event

tigermask48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 10:27 AM
PatriceBergeronFan
U.S. Army Hooah!

Can't help but be surprised at all the angels in here. Not saying it was the right thing to do, but they felt they should have been on a PP and instead were on their way to the golf course. I'd have been pissed in their situation as well.

I never did like officials in any sport I played, I always let them have it in the heat of the moment. So perhaps it's just me after all!

PatriceBergeronFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 10:30 AM
Marotte Marauder

It's now official, the Coyoes have surpassed the Nucks as the most disliked team in the league.

Low class organ-I-zation, including Dave Tippett.

Marotte Marauder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 10:46 AM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marotte Marauder View Post
It's now official, the Coyoes have surpassed the Nucks as the most disliked team in the league.

Low class organ-I-zation, including Dave Tippett.
This is the most shocking part of this. Really lost a lot of respect for Tippett in this series with all the excuses and complaining he did. Too much whining about missed calls and the refs being terrible (which really went both ways) and not enough rallying his players and recovering from getting down early in the series... Really ruined what should have been a very competitive and much closer series.

tigermask48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 11:14 AM
Lee Van Cleef*

You guys are really upset about this. It's hockey, tempers flare after overtime losses. No big deal.

Lee Van Cleef* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 12:08 PM
The Kessel Run

Phoenix sure had thin skin this series, that's for sure. You'd think they'd never played a playoff series before given how easily upset and whiny they were.

The Kessel Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 12:19 PM
Perro

Has there ever been a case where the league fines a team for the actions of their fans after a game. Just hink it would be funny for the league to fine itself here.
The misconducts are probably warranted as I am presuming the players crossed a line. They were understandably frustrated though. There were some bad non-calls in that OT.
Brown at one point should have had a partial break but was taken down before he had the puck.
The voynov delay of game. I think it should have been icing however if it is not icing than it has to be delay of game.

Perro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 02:35 PM
KingNothing4

Thought the OP was asking more along the lines of what is the point of giving them game misconducts after the game is already over, no?

KingNothing4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 02:39 PM
Art of Sedinery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Smith skated towards the ref with his stick cocked back as if he was going to slash him. The Coyotes completely lost it at the end like the sore losers that they are.
lolwut?

Smith cocked his stick back, then slammed it on the ice in frustration. He was what, 20 feet away from the closest official?

Art of Sedinery is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 02:44 PM
Art of Sedinery

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigermask48 View Post
Difference is Doughty's reaction is a spur of the moment thing right after the incedent happened... Smith has a good couple of minutes to calm down and think about things and is still butt hurt because of a blown call not involving him and twice makes threatening moves towards the refs...

But yeah, Doughty whined like a baby and threw a tantrum about a missed call and then let it go. Smith three times after the game ended went after players/refs for a blown call that had taken place minutes before. Kind of a bit of a difference when you consider the context of each event
But don't forget, Doughty is leading a series 3-1 on the verge of going to the Finals. Smith just got booted from the dance. Doughty needs to realize the position he's in and not ruin it.

Art of Sedinery is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 02:46 PM
OilerNut*

A lot of people hate the Coyotes because they feel they shouldn't even exist. So they look for every excuse to hate them more. Kinda pathetic.

OilerNut* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 02:52 PM
AZcoyotes
So... Now what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerNut View Post
A lot of people hate the Coyotes because they feel they shouldn't even exist. So they look for every excuse to hate them more. Kinda pathetic.
I find it funny.

HE THREW HIS STICK AT THE REF. He slid his stick on the ice..... Damn, how dangerous.

AZcoyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 02:53 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number8 View Post

I hope the league does as well. I am sure Doughty will be getting an earful from Sutter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhXcoyotes View Post
I find it funny.

HE THREW HIS STICK AT THE REF. He slid his stick on the ice..... Damn, how dangerous.
I don't expect much in the way of supplementary discipline other than a fine. I think for the league that kind of gesture is something they are not going to tolerate because it comes too close to the line. Players are never going to be allowed to disrespect the on-ice officials like that and the NHL has every right to do something to keep it that way.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 03:04 PM
Stillflexin*

This was the closest they came to a cup. They are playing a gam they love and they got emotional. Give them a ****ing break. I'm sure all of the other fanbases had nice things to say after their team got knocked out.

Stillflexin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 03:13 PM
None Shall Pass
Got Carter

As a fan of neither team after watching the "stick throw", I have to say the hyperbole of Mike Smith javelining and impaling each referee with his stick in this thread is complete imagination. He casually tossed the stick aside.

I don't like the "the game has become soft, wahhh" talk, but...really guys?

None Shall Pass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 03:17 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perro View Post
Has there ever been a case where the league fines a team for the actions of their fans after a game.
pretty sure if the league didn't fine the Canucks for their fans burning down the city then they'll probably let some garbage after the game slide. I can also say that this is not the first, and certainly will not be the last time that an arena has been littered with garbage at the end of a game following a controversial call.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 03:27 PM
FishMonger

The league needs to do something with Smith. If he doesn't at least get a good talkin' to (not that a guy with such anger issues will take heed), he won't have much of an incentive to stop using his stick in dangerous way.

FishMonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 03:27 PM
cjbhab
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
pretty sure if the league didn't fine the Canucks for their fans burning down the city then they'll probably let some garbage after the game slide. I can also say that this is not the first, and certainly will not be the last time that an arena has been littered with garbage at the end of a game following a controversial call.
lol, the canucks have no control over civilians having a riot... it has nothing to do with their organization..

If the Habs were in the same situation.. I can assure you the riot would have been worse.

cjbhab is offline   Reply With Quote