Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mikael Granlund Signed to 3-Year Deal

Old
05-23-2012, 01:33 PM
Dr Jan Itor

vCash: 500
Putting Granlund with Koivu is best way to ease his transition to the NHL and put him in the best position to succeed. Unless he outright wins the #2 center job, he'll be on Koivu's wing, not Cullen's.

Dr Jan Itor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 01:35 PM
Fel 96
JFC

Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jan Itor View Post
Putting Granlund with Koivu is best way to ease his transition to the NHL and put him in the best position to succeed. Unless he outright wins the #2 center job, he'll be on Koivu's wing, not Cullen's.
I'd hope so.

Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 01:37 PM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
Child, please. Heatley had to do stuff by himself last season and was far from useless. I agree a FBJ would boost his numbers, though. I do not believe they'll start the season together, however.
heater/koivu/?,
Granlund/cullen/Seto
Why wouldn't he start the season playing wing with Koivu? That's not to suggest that he will stick there all season, but given the fact that he already has some experience playing along side Koivu, I feel it would only make sense that he gets penciled in to do the same this season.

I'm prediciting something like this:

Granlund - Koivu - Heatley
Setoguchi - Brodziak - Coyle/Bouchard

MuckOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 01:42 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Lats - Cullen - Seto
Larsson - Brodz - Clutter
Powe/Kassian - FA - Johnson

Old
05-23-2012, 01:42 PM
W75
Wegistewed Usew

vCash: 626
Wing it is. Faceoffs or NHL caliber defending aren't there yet. If Mikko gets thrown out of the circle often enough, MiG can practice faceoffs in the 1st line..

W75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 01:45 PM
Qurpiz
Unregistered Abuser

Qurpiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 01:45 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wantaa FI75 View Post
Wing it is. Faceoffs or NHL caliber defending aren't there yet. If Mikko gets thrown out of the circle often enough, MiG can practice faceoffs in the 1st line..
And he will...

Old
05-23-2012, 01:46 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckOG View Post
Why wouldn't he start the season playing wing with Koivu? That's not to suggest that he will stick there all season, but given the fact that he already has some experience playing along side Koivu, I feel it would only make sense that he gets penciled in to do the same this season.

I'm prediciting something like this:

Setoguchi - Brodziak - Coyle/Bouchard
Granlund will probably be our second best playmaker on the team next year (behind Koivu). We need a couple catalysts to keep generating offence. It'll probably all depend on what happens in preseason but for now I think they will not give him first line minutes until they see that he is absorbing the game at this level.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 01:52 PM
thomast

Quote:
Granlund will probably be our second best playmaker on the team next year (behind Koivu). We need a couple catalysts to keep generating offence. It'll probably all depend on what happens in preseason but for now I think they will not give him first line minutes until they see that he is absorbing the game at this level.
Granlund is better playmaker than Koivu today and was it even last year but you might be right that Koivu has more assists because he's used to in NHL hockey.

thomast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 01:54 PM
Dampland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patp14 View Post
I think that is a way too much for his first year, but i definitely see him reaching that a few years down the line. I'd be happy with 35 points this next year

AGREED. People are expecting WAAAAAAY to much from this guy.

Based on his size, skating and NHL rinks, I don't expect him to ever be as good as people are expecting him to be. (granted I would be very happy if proven wrong! )

Rookie Year - plays in 65 - 70 games (press box & injuries) 10-15 goals, 15-25 assists

2nd year - 75 games (injuries) 20 goals, 20 - 25 assists

3rd year thru peak 75 games per year, 17 - 25 goals, 25 - 35 assists.

I jsut don't see him as being anything more than a 50-60 point per season guy. But you know what? That would put him in the top tier of Wild scorers every year, so not to bad.

I do however, think that Mikko's numbers will go up slightly because of MG.

All that said, I would be very happy if Granlund destroys my predictions of him, but I think reality is that people really need to MANAGE THEIR EXPECTATIONS

Dampland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 02:03 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

well the whole point is to get to a place where we have more than one threat on the ice for teams to concentrate on. Someone is going to benefit. Take the heat off of Heatley's line a little and he can easily have 10 more goals. Or they still key on his line and we have someone on the other scoring line who can generate offence and everyone there benefits.

Old
05-23-2012, 02:04 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomast View Post
Granlund is better playmaker than Koivu today and was it even last year but you might be right that Koivu has more assists because he's used to in NHL hockey.
yeah i guess "better" is a bit vague. Simply meant he'll be the second most effective playmaker next year (due to Koivu's experience).

Old
05-23-2012, 02:06 PM
Foxlockbox
:laugh: is my period

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granin View Post
BTW get ready for the new wave of finnish posters here, there's already a lot of us but I think it's safe to say more will come
*slips the finnish flag away so one will not immediately be taken with a grain of salt when one posts something*

Foxlockbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 02:07 PM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dampland View Post
, but I think reality is that people really need to MANAGE THEIR EXPECTATIONS
I know what you're doing here....you're setting your expectations WAY low because you are afraid of being let down due to the fact that we, as Wild fans, have been let down before when other players (*cough* Heatley *cough*) didn't perform up to the expectations. That's understandable because, as a Wild fan, you've been conditioned to think this way.

Personally, I think Granlund WILL live up to the hype. I'm predicting him to produce 20-25 goals and 35-50 assists on the season and be in contention for the Calder Trophy.

Old
05-23-2012, 02:11 PM
mnwildgophers

Quote:
Child, please. Heatley had to do stuff by himself last season and was far from useless. I agree a FBJ would boost his numbers, though. I do not believe they'll start the season together, however.
heater/koivu/?,
Granlund/cullen/Seto
I'm not saying it won't happen like that, but why not put him with Koivu?

mnwildgophers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 02:17 PM
Fel 96
JFC

Quote:
#mnwild‬ COO Matt Majka tells me Granlund No. 64 jerseys, t-shirts and other apparel available now at the Hockey Lodge's
http://twitter.com/Russostrib/status/205376849155592194

Go, go, go!

Old
05-23-2012, 02:24 PM
Dampland

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckOG View Post
I know what you're doing here....you're setting your expectations WAY low because you are afraid of being let down due to the fact that we, as Wild fans, have been let down before when other players (*cough* Heatley *cough*) didn't perform up to the expectations. That's understandable because, as a Wild fan, you've been conditioned to think this way.

Personally, I think Granlund WILL live up to the hype. I'm predicting him to produce 20-25 goals and 35-50 assists on the season and be in contention for the Calder Trophy.

Actually, that's not what i'm doing. I'm trying to post realistic, obtainable stats.

I said Before the season, that I only expected 25-30 goals from Heatly, and that was before the entire top six died of dysentary. and he finished with what? 25 goals I think. So he was right in the range I expected.

The problem with us Wild fans, is that we play NHL Hockey on our Xbox/PS3 and we get used to our favorite players scoring 70 goals a season with 100 assists, and then we are shocked and disappointed when that player doesn't do that in real life.

Dampland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 02:28 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

What you said is obtainable, but not realistic.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 02:34 PM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

Quote:
The problem with us Wild fans, is that we play NHL Hockey on our Xbox/PS3 and we get used to our favorite players scoring 70 goals a season with 100 assists, and then we are shocked and disappointed when that player doesn't do that in real life.
The last video game system I had was an Atari 2600. My kids have an Xbox, but I don't even know how to turn it on.

I base my prediction on the fact that Granlund has outperformed expectations at every level he has played at. It's not unprecedented for a player of his ability to come over and make an immediate impact. I won't say he's GUARANTEED to put up those numbers, but I think the chances are better than not considering his past performances.

Old
05-23-2012, 02:42 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

another reason to put him on the 2nd line, then: there is pressure to produce there but he doesn't have the weight of the team on his shoulders.

Old
05-23-2012, 02:45 PM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

Quote:
another reason to put him on the 2nd line, then: there is pressure to produce there but he doesn't have the weight of the team on his shoulders.
Why would the pressure be any less on the 2nd line? There will be pressure on this kid no matter what line he plays on. Playing alongside someone he is already familiar and comfortable with is probably the best thing for him.

Old
05-23-2012, 02:48 PM
Fel 96
JFC

Quote:
Starting today, the first 64 fans to purchase ‪#mnwild‬ season tickets will receive an autographed ‪#Granlund‬ #64 jersey.
http://twitter.com/mnwild/status/205383955212537856

Old
05-23-2012, 02:52 PM
FiLe
Mr. Know-It-Nothing

Quote:
Rookie Year - plays in 65 - 70 games (press box & injuries) 10-15 goals, 15-25 assists

2nd year - 75 games (injuries) 20 goals, 20 - 25 assists

3rd year thru peak 75 games per year, 17 - 25 goals, 25 - 35 assists.
I'd say this is a very realistic bar for minimum expectations.

I mean, he has all the tools to go above this and if he does, it's not a huge surprise. But if his production will be akin to these, he's by no means a bust.

FiLe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 02:53 PM
Minnesota
Global Moderator
L'Étoile du Nord

vCash: 1100
Damn, it's depressing when people are saying our best prospect in years will "optimistically" get 60-70 points in his prime. Why can't we have nice things?

Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 02:54 PM
heksagon

Happy that Mikael signed with us, but I didn't doubt it at any point though.

I somewhat agree with Dampland, people are maybe expecting a little too much from Granlund in his first season. I'm confident that he'll be a very good player for us in the future, but I wouldn't count on him scoring tons of points and winning the calder next year. Simply put, few players do that.

Let's look at Claude Giroux, whose playing style is somewhat similar to Granlunds' IMO, and he was about the same age when he came to the NHL too:

First real season in the NHL: 9 goals and 27 points in 42 games
First full season in the NHL: 16 goals and 47 points in 82 games

Not that great, but then his point totals pretty much exploded trough the roof. Obviously Giroux didn't get a first line spot handed to him right away, but it's just one example. Similar thing with Stamkos, remember his rookie season?

What I'm trying to say here is that don't be dissapointed if he doesn't break out immediatelly. He will still get better.

I would personally be happy with 30-40 points in his first year, obviously would be happy with more too. He certainly has the potential to be very good.

Last edited by heksagon: 05-23-2012 at 03:01 PM.
heksagon is offline   Reply With Quote