Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mikael Granlund Signed to 3-Year Deal

Old
05-23-2012, 05:21 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

vCash: 500
With the way last season went...Wild fans have concussion on the brain at all times...

TaLoN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 05:22 PM
keppel146
We love Bacon

I EXPECT at least 10 goals and 10 assists from this guy

keppel146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 05:26 PM
Fel 96
JFC

Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by keppel146 View Post
I EXPECT at least 10 goals and 10 assists from this guy
Low expectation.

I like it.

Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 05:27 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

I think everyone involved with the Wild would be beyond disappointed with those numbers!

Old
05-23-2012, 05:34 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
He isn't RNH, people. Thinking he's going to come in and play effective first line minutes from the start of the season...Reality is going to be tough on you.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 05:35 PM
mnwildgophers

I don't think it's crazy to say Granlund should have 50 points next year, he'll probably be on the top PP and get plenty of ice time.

mnwildgophers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 05:39 PM
Church of Granny

Maybe 11+35? hard to say, ice-time, linemates so many factors

Church of Granny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 05:43 PM
Kari Takko

Thank goodness! I've had a Minnesota Wild Granlund t-shirt since he was drafted. My wife was teasing me the other day that my shirt would be obsolete if #granlundwatch would have gone south.

Kari Takko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 05:45 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church of Granny View Post
Maybe 11+35? hard to say, ice-time, linemates so many factors
exactly. And a non-Calder adjustment year doesn't mean he's not going to be a force later, so i'm not even sweating it. Kid has vision and smarts which will serve him well while he learns to adjust his skills to NHL play; once the adjustment is made he'll be a rock.

Old
05-23-2012, 05:51 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothy Freitag View Post
Thank goodness! I've had a Minnesota Wild Granlund t-shirt since he was drafted. My wife was teasing me the other day that my shirt would be obsolete if #granlundwatch would have gone south.
I don't know about obsolete but it would a dark piece of memorabilia.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 05:53 PM
WildisLaw
Just win, baby

I never doubted him. Mikael Granlund... Too big to fail

P.S. Mike Johnson is a dip$&@#

Hate that guy

Last edited by WildisLaw: 05-23-2012 at 05:59 PM.
WildisLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 06:39 PM
NHL1674
Whatever...

vCash: 165
Hopefully he comes over here a month early to get settled in. While he is certainly going to face the pressure of the hype, he shouldn't be under the magnifying glass as much when away from the rink. He gets noticed everywhere he goes in Finland, so being here could give him an outlet to relax a little more. The kid is gonna need some time to grow, so we need to be patient with him. Hoping that Koivu can step his own game up, relieve some of the pressure, and help ease Granlund into the league.

And as a Wild fan, I too am terrified of concussions. We need a bodyguard for the kid while he's starting out. I can easily see him as being a prime target.

NHL1674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 06:53 PM
urho

vCash: 728
Well, whoever doubted he'll sign with you guys didn't know him very well. I hope he'll have a good summer, some work on his skating and strength would do good. 40-50pts right away would be great!

urho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 07:12 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynryn View Post
He isn't RNH, people. Thinking he's going to come in and play effective first line minutes from the start of the season...Reality is going to be tough on you.
Rather than quote something from 4 pages ago...

Granlund on the first line makes significantly more sense than Granlund on the second line for a couple reasons. First of all, these are the primary "arguments" why he'd be better on the second line:

1. Less "pressure"

2. More balanced lines

Looking at these, it's a rather weak claim that putting him on the second line would work better. Looking at these one at a time:

1. "Pressure" has never been a meaningful concern for Granlund. He's the type of player who does extremely well under pressure. In fact, one of his best assets is his ability to raise his game as pressure mounts.

2. Line balance requires full balance, and not just one piece being moved around. Granlund is a setup guy, not a finisher. He needs someone who can put the puck in the net or all the fluttering saucers in the world won't give him 35 assists. Cullen isn't going to be that finisher. Seto can pot the goals, but he's not the guy you want to be relying upon in that regard.

With that said, reasons why Granlund will likely start the year playing on the top line (barring a Parise or similar forward signing/trade):

1. Space - Granlund's a smaller player who is going to be adapting to NHL ice and the NHL game. He needs players on his line who are able to create space for him. He needs threats on his line that force defensemen to respect his linemates, and stop them from cheating to cover him.

2. Finishers - As I mentioned earlier, he needs finishers on his line so that his pretty passes end up in the net. We've already seen how well he plays with Koivu, and his skill set is (on paper) a perfect compliment to Heatley's game. People refer to him as "Bouchard 2.0" as an insult, but don't ever acknowledge just how well Bouchard and Koivu worked together.

3. Yeo - Mike Yeo has shown a few traits, and one is surrounding his talent with talent. Even with fans constantly clamoring for "balanced" lines with Heatley and Koivu split, it never materialized. Considering Yeo's history, what we've seen of Granlund with Koivu, and everything else we know about the situation, could anyone really argue that Yeo won't try to force those pieces together, at least until they prove it doesn't work?

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 07:24 PM
NHL1674
Whatever...

vCash: 165
It could certainly work on the top line. Koivu would be the bodyguard, while Heater finishes the plays. But then again, I also thought the Heater/Koivu/Seto line was going to be magic last year, so..................

NHL1674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 07:25 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

i'm right. you'll see.

Old
05-23-2012, 07:26 PM
Zamuz

You people have low expectations, sure 50 points would be nice.. But since he has developed every year in SM-liiga, being PPG there i'm waiting for more like 20+40 or even close to PPG.

And you can't really rise RNH above MG, as RNH was very invisible at the world championship (he had good 4+2 but you really didn't notice him in the tougher games).

Zamuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 07:33 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamuz View Post
You people have low expectations, sure 50 points would be nice.. But since he has developed every year in SM-liiga, being PPG there i'm waiting for more like 20+40 or even close to PPG.

And you can't really rise RNH above MG, as RNH was very invisible at the world championship (he had good 4+2 but you really didn't notice him in the tougher games).
when i invoke RNH's name it's to compare rookie NHL seasons. It's an adjustment for Granlund and the smaller ice is going to mean less space while RNH grew up on it.

Stamkos only had what, 40-50 pts as a rookie?

Old
05-23-2012, 07:33 PM
Casper
30 goal grinder

Quote:
i'm right. you'll see.
Granlund isn't a 18 year old player coming from juniors though. He is a 20 year old with 3 years of experience playing against veterans. I don't think that 12-18 goals with 35 assists is too much to ask for considering all the power play and ice time he is bound to get.

Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 07:34 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
when i invoke RNH's name it's to compare rookie NHL seasons. It's an adjustment for Granlund and the smaller ice is going to mean less space while RNH grew up on it.

Stamkos only had what, 40-50 pts as a rookie?
46 and he was a bust by the end of it.

GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 07:39 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

I said before, at minimum 50 points. I feel that is a conservative and safe number that could easily be eclipsed on his way to being a calder candidate... a legit candidate in the talks for the award.

Obviously injury could take away from that...it's assuming a healthy season.

Old
05-23-2012, 07:58 PM
urho

vCash: 728
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
Granlund isn't a 18 year old player coming from juniors though. He is a 20 year old with 3 years of experience playing against veterans. I don't think that 12-18 goals with 35 assists is too much to ask for considering all the power play and ice time he is bound to get.
Still, he's European and he'll have to adjust to NA-style of play before he can be a big time producer. Even if he didn't put up well over 40 points, he isn't necessarily a bust (even tho everyone will claim so).

urho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 08:02 PM
Casper
30 goal grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by urho View Post
Still, he's European and he'll have to adjust to NA-style of play before he can be a big time producer. Even if he didn't put up well over 40 points, he isn't necessarily a bust (even tho everyone will claim so).
oh i know. but he doesn't come without experience. With his resume he should put up around 50 pts.

Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 08:02 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

The only reason to possibly expect less than 50 points for Granlund is that 35 assists would mean his linemates need to score at least 35 goals. With only 2 players scoring even 20 goals last year (and no one scoring even 25) that might not be too realistic.

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-23-2012, 08:05 PM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

Why SHOULDN'T we have high expectations of him? Heck, I'm sure the Wild organization has high expectations.

Gaborik put up 36 points as an 18 year old rookie on a first year expansion team with absolutely no talent around him. Granlund is coming in as a 20 year old who has been playing with men for the past three years and will have alot more talent around him than Gaborik had.

I expect him to put up somewhere in the neighborhood of 50 points.

MuckOG is offline   Reply With Quote