HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Off-Season Discussion - Part IV (Cap Info in Post 1)

Closed Thread

Old
05-23-2012, 09:44 AM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ColePens
I deleted the other one as the conversation didn't get started yet. The reason was because the data in the OP.

Continue here.

Old
05-23-2012, 09:46 AM
Darth Vitale
Lesshaus > Morehaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
I deleted the other one as the conversation didn't get started yet. The reason was because the data in the OP.

Continue here.
Beat me to it. I had to switch gears for a second and come back.

Old
05-23-2012, 12:15 PM
Solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post

Continue here.
Sorry about that. I was attempting to help. And failed miserably as my wife would say.

Old
05-23-2012, 12:24 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solushun View Post
Sorry about that. I was attempting to help. And failed miserably as my wife would say.
sorry doesn't cut it. we will remember this.

Old
05-23-2012, 12:38 PM
regard

Was Uher signed?

EDIT-NVM Dont see him on our capgeek chart. I thought he had been.

Old
05-23-2012, 12:47 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by regard View Post
Was Uher signed?

EDIT-NVM Dont see him on our capgeek chart. I thought he had been.
I think he was signed to a try out not an entry level. I could be wrong though.

Old
05-23-2012, 01:30 PM
dr robbie
Let's Go Pens!

If Pittsburgh lands one player this offseason, who would you want?

My thoughts would be Suter. I would love to have him on D. Yeah, I know it's a stretch, but would love to get him this offseason and strengthen our D.

Old
05-23-2012, 01:33 PM
laufer72
Ashburton Grove

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr robbie View Post
My thoughts would be Suter. I would love to have him on D. Yeah, I know it's a stretch, but would love to get him this offseason and strengthen our D.
Yeah, that's more than a stretch. He will be the hottest D commodity on the market this year, he'll get insane money from someone.

Old
05-23-2012, 01:35 PM
malkovsby

garrison or kulemin

Old
05-23-2012, 01:36 PM
JordanStaal#1Fan

vCash: 50
Zach Parisť. I've been a Zach Parisť fan since before he was drafted and I think he would be the perfect "Dan Bylsma" player. Him and Crosby would be unreal together.

Jordan Eberle would be another one, but the Oilers would be terribly stupid to trade us Eberle for Staal.

Old
05-23-2012, 01:42 PM
Solution

A list of UFA goalies in the off season:

Ellis, Turco, Leggio, MacIntyre, Peters, Emery, Huet, Desjardins, Dekanich, McElhinney, Raycroft, Conklin, Danis, Clemmensen, Plante, Zatkoff, Harding, Lawson, Brodeur, Hedberg, Grahame, Montoya, Johnson, Auld, McKenna, Backlund, Leighton, Pogge, Niitymaki, Caron, Gustavsson, Climie, Sabourin, Mannino, and Mason.

I would be interested in Niitymaki, Montoya, or possibly Huet as backups to Fleury. Johnson is my choice to get signed for WBS since currently the only goalie would be Killeen.

Old
05-23-2012, 01:47 PM
Blitzburgh87*

As far as unrestricted free agents go I'd definitely sign Steve Sullivan he's good here. As far as defensive prospects that are prospects I really hope we can resign all of them. Some of them can be trade bait.

Old
05-23-2012, 01:49 PM
Blitzburgh87*

Quote:

Ellis, Turco, Leggio, MacIntyre, Peters, Emery, Huet, Desjardins, Dekanich, McElhinney, Raycroft, Conklin, Danis, Clemmensen, Plante, Zatkoff, Harding, Lawson, Brodeur, Hedberg, Grahame, Montoya, Johnson, Auld, McKenna, Backlund, Leighton, Pogge, Niitymaki, Caron, Gustavsson, Climie, Sabourin, Mannino, and Mason.

I would be interested in Niitymaki, Montoya, or possibly Huet as backups to Fleury. Johnson is my choice to get signed for WBS since currently the only goalie would be Killeen.
How sick would a fleury/brodeur tandem be? Plus he can help fleury with his consistency. Probably just a pipe dream.

Old
05-23-2012, 01:54 PM
Flat Stanley

Quote:

Johnson would not sign to be an AHL goalie, he wants to be in the NHL, someone will sign him.

As for back up goalies for Fleury, I wouldn't go with Huet, maybe not even Niittymaki, they're older who would be looking at $1M+, Pens won't pay that much for a back up, at least not at their ages.

I'd say the best fit would be Montoya, he's cheap, he's Fleury's age, had some success on a bad team, I remember in the home and home series this past season agains the Isles, Montoya just completely shut us down. I don't think he is looked at as a potential starting goalie in the NHL unlike Harding so it could be the perfect fit.

And if no team signs Harding to be a starter, maybe we can bring him in as a back up, if he wants.

EDIT: And about the AHL goalie situation. Shero can re-sign Thiessen and Munroe, if not there are plenty AHL goalies on the free agent market.

Last edited by Flat Stanley: 05-23-2012 at 02:03 PM.
Old
05-23-2012, 02:05 PM
Blitzburgh87*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanStaal#1Fan View Post
Zach Parisť. I've been a Zach Parisť fan since before he was drafted and I think he would be the perfect "Dan Bylsma" player. Him and Crosby would be unreal together.

Jordan Eberle would be another one, but the Oilers would be terribly stupid to trade us Eberle for Staal.
I seriously doubt we get parise considering how deep new Jersey went this year. Who knows maybe if brodeur retires or moves to another team then he comes here.

Old
05-23-2012, 02:14 PM
Burgs

Capgeek says McNeill's contract has a cap hit of 558,333. First two years 560k, third year 555k.

Old
05-23-2012, 02:21 PM
khaoskennedy

Quote:

pretty sure Emery already signed an extension

my top picks for Fleury's backup would probably be Harding and Montoya, maybe Gustavsson

Old
05-23-2012, 02:24 PM
Solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post
Johnson would not sign to be an AHL goalie, he wants to be in the NHL, someone will sign him.

As for back up goalies for Fleury, I wouldn't go with Huet, maybe not even Niittymaki, they're older who would be looking at $1M+, Pens won't pay that much for a back up, at least not at their ages.

I'd say the best fit would be Montoya, he's cheap, he's Fleury's age, had some success on a bad team, I remember in the home and home series this past season agains the Isles, Montoya just completely shut us down. I don't think he is looked at as a potential starting goalie in the NHL unlike Harding so it could be the perfect fit.

And if no team signs Harding to be a starter, maybe we can bring him in as a back up, if he wants.

EDIT: And about the AHL goalie situation. Shero can re-sign Thiessen and Munroe, if not there are plenty AHL goalies on the free agent market.

The Johnson i was talking about is Chad Johnson. My bad. I was not clear enough. I had not included the Penguins' UFA goalies on this list. I think that Chad johnson would be a good fit in the AHL.

Old
05-23-2012, 02:35 PM
Jacob

Quote:

Montoya does seem like a good fit. He's young, big, a good puck handler and generally just takes up a lot of the net and lets pucks hit him.. Kind of everything you want in a backup. And unlike Vokoun or Harding, he probably won't mind accepting a back-up role as he's not really good enough or proven enough to be a starter.

And of course we'll probably end up signing another veteran goalie on a two-way deal to backstop the baby Pens.. Someone good enough to step into some NHL games if there is an injury or if Montoya can't handle the job. Maybe Conklin.

Old
05-23-2012, 02:37 PM

I really have to wonder what Matt Cooke thinks after seeing cheapshot after cheapshot during these playoffs? The NHL made him their poster boy for dirty play and the league goes into a tailspin.

Double standard? You bet.

Old
05-23-2012, 02:37 PM
Flat Stanley

Quote:
The Johnson i was talking about is Chad Johnson. My bad. I was not clear enough. I had not included the Penguins' UFA goalies on this list. I think that Chad johnson would be a good fit in the AHL.
Ohh okay, sorry. Yeah Chad Johnson would be a good fit. Former Pens draft pick, has a couple NHL games under his belt.

Old
05-23-2012, 02:55 PM
Solution

Quote:
Ohh okay, sorry. Yeah Chad Johnson would be a good fit. Former Pens draft pick, has a couple NHL games under his belt.
Nothing to apologize for. I was the one who left things too unclear. So Montoya, Chad Johnson, and either one of Thiessen or Munroe seems to be where I am leaning. That sounds good to me. If they can sign Petri Vehanen, that would eliminate one of those signings. I did remember Johnson as a former Penguins draft pick. That is what kind of steered me towards him. The rest of the stats just sweetened the pot. Also, John Curry is still intriguing to me.

The scariest part of all of this is that last season (2010-2011), the Penguins had Fleury, Thiessen, and Killeen all in their respective league All-Star games. Now goalie is a position of weakness in the organization. Eerie thought.

Old
05-23-2012, 02:59 PM
Darth Vitale
Lesshaus > Morehaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by laufer72 View Post
Yeah, that's more than a stretch. He will be the hottest D commodity on the market this year, he'll get insane money from someone.
Well if the Cap does end up around 70M, that gives us about 10M space right there, subtract Martin it's 15M. Add Crosby's raise, probably around 12M. Sign Staal (which I think will happen ultimately) and we're back around 10M (give or take). So... I don't actually think there would be a problem signing someone like Suter, who should clock in around 6-7M hit... the question is who else can't we sign if we do sign him? For the same reason Parise is not out of the question. We could easily make him ~ 8M offer but then it limits the rest.

So the question is less can we make someone a big offer than what else might we have to forgo (besides Martin) to do it? We have enough skilled rookies on this team to make it happen IMO. I kind of want to see it. I want to see us get the benefit of developing Despres and Tangradi on the big team and reap the benefits of their small cap hits by having a stud like Parise on this team. Maybe Morrow too in place of Niskanen. Every little bit helps.

The other factor is, everyone else benefits from the 70M Cap too, including NJ and Nashville. Those two guys might not go anywhere.

Last edited by Darth Vitale: 05-23-2012 at 03:04 PM.
Old
05-23-2012, 03:19 PM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
Well if the Cap does end up around 70M, that gives us about 10M space right there, subtract Martin it's 15M. Add Crosby's raise, probably around 12M. Sign Staal (which I think will happen ultimately) and we're back around 10M (give or take). So... I don't actually think there would be a problem signing someone like Suter, who should clock in around 6-7M hit... the question is who else can't we sign if we do sign him? For the same reason Parise is not out of the question. We could easily make him ~ 8M offer but then it limits the rest.

So the question is less can we make someone a big offer than what else might we have to forgo (besides Martin) to do it? We have enough skilled rookies on this team to make it happen IMO. I kind of want to see it. I want to see us get the benefit of developing Despres and Tangradi on the big team and reap the benefits of their small cap hits by having a stud like Parise on this team. Maybe Morrow too in place of Niskanen. Every little bit helps.

The other factor is, everyone else benefits from the 70M Cap too, including NJ and Nashville. Those two guys might not go anywhere.
Given the uncertainty of the next CBA, I would caution against spending up to the $70M cap. I'm sure Shero feels the sane way too.

Old
05-23-2012, 03:23 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

I know defense is our biggest need but it's more system than players. So if I could have one player it would be Parise. He is a game changer & a unreal competitor. I think he will stay in NJ though.

Closed Thread